• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Not entirely shocked about DeWine getting out in front of it.

I'm not a fan of his but he's more than capable of doing things right when needed.

At least, you know, more so than the federal response.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
PM Boris Johnson said it was "the worst public health crisis for a generation" and warned many families they would "lose loved ones before their time"

Thanks for letting us know Boris.

Said this earlier but I'm really not sure how to feel about our response now.

I'm trusting that the government is receiving expert advice and this is dictating policy (and I don't have reason to doubt that at the moment) - but seeing the rest of the world react so aggressively is making me nervous.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Some of the younger posters might wonder how it felt to live through the week(s) of 9/11. It was a bit like this very month. It is truly possible to go to sleep this week and wake up in a different feeling reality! 2019 was total shit if I divorce myself from my on-point personal life but 2020 already has it beat.
SARS and so on were a topic of jokes on national TV over here. Covid-19 isn´t.

someday

Oct 25, 2017
They've totally been tested and countless times probably. Whether they admit they have it or not will depend if it sends them to hospital and they can't deny that.
That this is possible actually scares me more. Why lie about it? Not being able to trust him or Pence is what frightens me most.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
They way Kurz, the Austrian chancellor, is talking right now live on TV, Austria is going into lockdown on Monday. Details will be presented tomorrow.

Grath

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What's this about?
Sorry to hear about your concerns.

BJ said:
We've done what can be done to contain this disease, and this has bought us valuable time, but it's now a global pandemic.

The number of cases will rise sharply, indeed the true number of cases is higher - perhaps much higher - than the number of cases we have so far confirmed with tests.

It is going to spread further and I must level with you, I must level with the British public: many more families are going to lose loved ones before their time.

They also didn't close schools or sports events. Link.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
So angry at the UK response but it is what it is now. It's clear that when Boris mentioned "letting it run its course" last week he wasn't joking. No other country in the world has openly said that this is a plan they're attempting as far as I'm aware?

I majorly disagree with it. They talk about delaying the peak till the summer. They estimate that 5-10,000 people already have it. If we take the low end at 5000 and assume cases double every 6 days then we'll be at 160,000 cases in a months time. If 5% need ICU that's 8,000 people. We have 4000 ICU beds of which 80% are usually occupied. They've clearly accepted that a certain level of lives lost is something they can live with so we're crashing headfirst into an Italy situation

The only thing I'm thinking is that if other countries see our numbers blowing up the rest of the world (bar USA) will cut us off completely and ban all travel from the U.K. This might cause a change in tactics?
Same thing in Finland, well they at least banned events of over 500 people.

No school closures because parents would have to stay home. Fucking stupid.

WarioLuigi22

alt account
Banned
May 11, 2019
This is going to send folks here in Delco into a frenzy, hoarding-wise.

I was at Giant earlier today; definitely a lot more people shopping than normal. Store was completely out of toilet paper and hand sanitizer. I imagine there will be a horde of shoppers barging in tomorrow; I don't envy the employees there.
I'm in Delco too, what's up???
My alma matter WCU closed up till March 30 and then the rest of the semester continues... online, all classes will be online for the rest of the semester. What's weird about this is I have a 9 year old brother who's elementary school is still open. Delco is weird af man.

Oct 27, 2017
Local mobile food bank not stopping at several locations due to possible covid exposure. That is going to hurt many families:

We had a couple of urgent care centers close for that reason (a practicioner, not a patient). Not that they would take coronavirus patients, they would tell them to stay home or conduct drive-thru tests if they have them. But still, you lose those resources.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do we have the age group of all the deaths around world? Haven't seen much about the age of people from Italy that died.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Well, it's not airborne, you can tell her that. Needs contact and basically ingested to get you. Wash your hands, don't touch your face.

Um, yes it is airborne, you just need to be in close proximity to an infected person.

The reason it's spreading so quickly is because it's able to be spread through things like coughing or sneezing.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
So angry at the UK response but it is what it is now. It's clear that when Boris mentioned "letting it run its course" last week he wasn't joking. No other country in the world has openly said that this is a plan they're attempting as far as I'm aware?

I majorly disagree with it. They talk about delaying the peak till the summer. They estimate that 5-10,000 people already have it. If we take the low end at 5000 and assume cases double every 6 days then we'll be at 160,000 cases in a months time. If 5% need ICU that's 8,000 people. We have 4000 ICU beds of which 80% are usually occupied. They've clearly accepted that a certain level of lives lost is something they can live with so we're crashing headfirst into an Italy situation

The only thing I'm thinking is that if other countries see our numbers blowing up the rest of the world (bar USA) will cut us off completely and ban all travel from the U.K. This might cause a change in tactics?

he openly said that there is a lot of us who are going to have to accept we are going to lose loved ones

The logic of the UK is, it is here, whatever you do is not going to stop it, so might as well ride it out

Doogdogg

Oct 27, 2017
ES7i3AHXYAEDYyk.jpg

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
"Respiratory physician John Wilson explains the range of Covid-19 impacts, from no symptoms to severe illness featuring pneumonia."

www.theguardian.com

Coronavirus: what happens to people's lungs when they get Covid-19?

Respiratory physician John Wilson explains the range of Covid-19 impacts, from no symptoms to severe illness featuring pneumonia
Comforting for those aware of the inevitability of contracting the virus.
Still terrifying for those who don't want to carry and spread it.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Sorry for the situation but coronavirus is not a death sentence for any age. I believe it's 14% for people in their 80s.

I know, but it really does seem like it. She is only 60 but there's still amore-than-0% chance and, to me, that does feel like a death sentence. It's just the way my mind works; probably not healthy but neither is our own government's line of thinking so yeah...
What's this about?
Sorry to hear about your concerns.
Boris basically just said "We ain't closing schools, some of your family members are gonna die, fuck you." He's taking less action than fucking Trump because unlike Trump he's got nearly 5 more years for people to forget about this and an elderly population who will vote for him whether or not he decides to literally kill them en-masse.
Shit is stressful.....

Yep. I haven't been this stressed in years. Don't know how the fuck I can possibly handle another year of this...

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Some of the younger posters might wonder how it felt to live through the week(s) of 9/11. It was a bit like this very month. It is truly possible to go to sleep this week and wake up in a different feeling reality! 2019 was total shit if I divorce myself from my on-point personal life but 2020 already has it beat.
SARS and so on were a topic of jokes on national TV over here. Covid-19 isn´t.

There was more unity and solidarity after 9/11, plus people weren't asked to make sacrifices. Bush told us all to go buy stuff.

Now we have people yelling fake news, a president unwilling to do the right thing and a resistance to think about the needs of others from many people.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I dont know why are the other countries are cancelling sport, our chief scientist said this.

Chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick Vallance said cancelling sporting events is not a "major way to tackle this epidemic".

What we need after this is one global voice

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
So the UK response is: we're not doing anything because people will grow bored and ignore after a month, and that's when we're expecting it to peak. I sort of understand the thinking, if you act too early people will end their isolation too early and infections will ramp up again. But at the same time they're admitting they're waiting for it to peak to announce isolation measures - this will mean hundreds dead, even Boris said it means losing loved ones before their time - I don't want to hear that - it's an unacceptable and heartless thing to say. Why can't we focus on teaching compassion and understanding the importance of isolation to prevent that isolation fatigue?

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Any other Iowans here?

I'm just outside of Des Moines and everything feels like business as usual around here. Stores are well stocked, no craziness, some big events (like the DSM St. Patrick's parade) are still planned.
I know there were some cases near Iowa City (from an Egyptian cruise), but beyond that things seem quiet up here. For now.

Elrid

Oct 28, 2017
I bought a bidet a while ago but haven't installed it.

At least I have it in case toilet paper becomes scarce.

In other news, all the disinfecting wipes and sprays are sold out at my grocery store. I always felt I was the only one who'd buy them since they always had a bunch in stock, but things have changed (and of course NOW is when I don't have enough at home).

My local grocery store has also limited the amount of water bottle cases and gallons people are allowed to get. We're stocked up and our current refrigerator filter should be good for a few months.

I don't know if I'm being paranoid, but I'm going to start stocking up on canned foods and other things, like pasta, that I can store for at least a month.

Went to Costco first thing this morning to see about getting toilet paper and other dried goods and such. Holy cow! I have never seen anything like it. So many people there for the same things. I got mine, but think they ran out in less than 30 minutes and that was limiting one bundle per member. It was like the holidays times four or five, so many people! Gotta say though everyone was pretty cool and calm.