• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
That won't help at all...

On Tuesday I literally couldn't sleep because of this shit. Made a point not to look on Era or Twitter and it still fucking happened.

The only thing that could help is when we know it's over and my family is OK

But I can't see that happening...
Please try and speak to a therapist about this.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I am not sure how many people follow Devin Nash or Ethan Evans on twitch or anything, they had Columbia University Professor Dr. Vincent Racaniello on their show this past week about corona virus. I felt the need to share this because it seems to cut out the fluff and get straight to the point of stuff that we need to know.

not discrediting the doctor on Rogan's podcast, but him saying stuff like "handwashing has not been proven effective" is complete nonsense considering there is research that shows it is. Rogan's podcast had more fear mongering in it imo (despite it being good content)

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
There's a big music festival in Columbus OH that I was going to go to in May, and it's technically still on but I cancelled. Not worth the risk.

jetscanfly

Jan 19, 2018
That won't help at all...

On Tuesday I literally couldn't sleep because of this shit. Made a point not to look on Era or Twitter and it still fucking happened.

The only thing that could help is when we know it's over and my family is OK

But I can't see that happening...

Seek help if it has you this anxious. Mental health is important.

Oct 27, 2017
How bad is it? I've got work on Saturday and I'm going to do a stock-up today (not for panic reasons). I'm really dreading going into that place, especially since things are going to get worse by the next time I go in.

I hate this job tbh
I just got done and it was insane.

People were buying everything in bulk so you had people like me who were standing on the register and selling everything with huge lines and lots of screaming and talking without breaks for hours. It gave me a huge headache. Then you had people restocking everything in a limited space while children are running in the store and customers standing around. This job is such a stress inducing, mind crushing job.

Tomorrow might be even worse...

Agreed on hating this job. If I never had to work I would never even think of working again.

OP
OP
wandering

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate you sharing the summary -- I think it's helpful information that has nothing to do with the interviewer, and we should be able to share information without linking to the video or even mentioning the interviewer. Hell, it even debunks some of the nonsense stuff that's floating around.

All of the useful information is available from more reputable sources.

It also spread more nonsense, such as suggesting that China's food supply is mostly wildlife, which is patently ridiculous.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
Fuck fuck ufck fuck fuck fuck

This has fucking terrified me

I'm going to get it and then my family is going to fucking die

FUCK

Take a deep breath. It isn't guaranteed that you will get it, or that you will get it and give it to your family, or that you will get it, give it to your family, and they will die.

There are a lot of steps in that chain in which you have control to mitigate negative effects.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
As someone who travels into London daily and who has parents in their early 70s my head is a mess at the moment.

I'm not quite sure what to do since I'm already putting myself at risk by going into London daily for work.

Anything of that size is already cancelled in Austria, and I personally just wouldn't risk it tbh
I hate to bail on my friend but I'm not going to risk it.

It's the fact it'll be 100 people all tightly packed together in a small theatre.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate you sharing the summary -- I think it's helpful information that has nothing to do with the interviewer, and we should be able to share information without linking to the video or even mentioning the interviewer. Hell, it even debunks some of the nonsense stuff that's floating around.

The content still referenced Rogan by name and included some questionable rhetoric (at best) about China.

There is plenty of information readily available from sources other than Joe Rogan's show.

Everyday Math

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck fuck ufck fuck fuck fuck

This has fucking terrified me

I'm going to get it and then my family is going to fucking die

FUCK
I want you to take 3 deep breaths and release each one slowly. I'm being serious.

Then when you have time gather your family and set up a plan. Look at your food/supplies and make a list of what you need to buy.

Focus your mind on an objective. This is what I do when my anxiety starts to overwhelm me.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
The guy from the Joe Rogam show is talking shit about the Hand sanitizers. It's proven that washing your hands kills the virus.

So he might be talking shit in the other cases too.

plow

Oct 28, 2017

And it's also false information.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Please try and speak to a therapist about this.
Seek help if it has you this anxious. Mental health is important.

I've looked into that but, seriously, how can I not be freaking out about this? There's a massive chance that the most important person in the fucking world to me might die decades before I'm ready for that to happening. That would ruin me.

I just got done and it was insane.

People were buying everything in bulk so you had people like me who were standing on the register and selling everything with huge lines and lots of screaming and talking without breaks for hours. It gave me a huge headache. Then you had people restocking everything in a limited space while children are running in the store and customers standing around. This job is such a stress inducing, mind crushing job.

Tomorrow might be even worse...

Agreed on hating this job. If I never had to work I would never even think of working again.

Yeah, I'm probably going to quit this shit then. Fuck risking my family's life even more than necessary for a shitty fucking job that I (very, very fortunately) don't even need to do right now. I've got plenty of games and shit to play, I don't need anything more for the time being.

Take a deep breath. It isn't guaranteed that you will get it, or that you will get it and give it to your family, or that you will get it, give it to your family, and they will die.

There are a lot of steps in that chain in which you have control to mitigate negative effects.
I want you to take 3 deep breaths and release each one slowly. I'm being serious.

Then when you have time gather your family and set up a plan. Look at your food/supplies and make a list of what you need to buy.

Focus your mind on an objective. This is what I do when my anxiety starts to overwhelm me.

Thanks. I do know that some part of it is irrational but every single time I felt "oh the worst might not come to pass," in recent years it has so, right now, when that worst might happen again, I am fucking terrified.

Me and my Mum are going out to buy some more stocks today. Not massive amounts but enough so that if we need to stay home we can. I'm also going to ask her whether a family member needs to visit on the weekend from London, but I don't think she's going to like that.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
The University of Arkansas where I live is waiting for the first local case of the virus to be diagnosed before shutting down in-person classes. I'm furious, they need to lead by example. If they wait that long they will ensure that many more people will be infected locally.

I'm an alumni so I'm not surprised that this is coming from the campus that refuses to close for winter weather so teachers/professors have to have their own snow day policy.

I imagine the last place you want to be is something like a dorm or in a 400 person lecture hall. That's just irresponsible.

CM_Ace

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Went to staples for printer paper and their paper towel and sanitizer section was completely cleared out. Only thing left was a couple of boxes of tissues.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
Thanks. I do know that some part of it is irrational but every single time I felt "oh the worst might not come to pass," in recent years it has so, right now, when that worst might happen again, I am fucking terrified.

Me and my Mum are going out to buy some more stocks today. Not massive amounts but enough so that if we need to stay home we can. I'm also going to ask her whether a family member needs to visit on the weekend from London, but I don't think she's going to like that.

It's not irrational to be scared. Just work through that fear and take measured steps and make a rational plan, you can get through this unscathed, but it will require conscious decisions to mitigate your risk.

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why is Iran handling this so badly? Like, it seems they're having awfully high death counts compared to other countries right now. Is that because it was in Iran first? Did Iran botch it by suppressing information? Is their medical infrastructure pitiful?

My fear is what's happening in Iran will happen in America. Look at how this country handles hurricanes and Flint..
The Iran leadership post on his Twitter as "economic territory "...

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Two new cases in Waterloo region, Ontario. Both travel related.

kitchener.ctvnews.ca

Two more cases of COVID-19 confirmed in Waterloo Region

Region of Waterloo Public Health has confirmed two more cases of COVID-19 in Waterloo Region.

In one case, a female in her 60s who had been aboard a Celebrity Cruise acquired the virus.

Public Health officials say the cruise left Puerto Rico on March 1, and visited St. Thomas, St. Martin, Barbados, Dominique and Grenada before returning home to Puerto Rico on March 7.

The woman was reportedly asymptomatic when she was travelling and self-isolated at home when her symptoms developed.

The other case was confirmed in a man in his 40s who had recently travelled to Las Vegas. That's where he acquired the illness, officials say.

He was also asymptomatic during travel, and developed symptoms after returning to Canada.

Both patients took private transportation to Grand River Hospital on March 10 for assessment and testing.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
All of the useful information is available from more reputable sources.

It also spread more nonsense, such as suggesting that China's food supply is mostly wildlife, which is patently ridiculous.
The content still referenced Rogan by name and included some questionable rhetoric (at best) about China.

There is plenty of information readily available from sources other than Joe Rogan's show.
That's fair - sorry. I should've realized that there's always some crap in there.

One thing that was new to me (not saying it's not out there elsewhere) is how general health and obesity can play a part. It was motivational for me in that I need to redouble my health efforts.

For anyone needing additional motivation to get in shape and establish healthier habits - now's the time! :)

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Bummed and torn today. I'm supposed to go to a show tonight for a couple punk/emo bands I've been listening to a ton lately; was super stoked to go. DC declared a state of emergency yesterday. Some venues in the city have called off their events until April, but this particular one has not. I don't think there will be more than 2-300 folks at this show, but a small space with a bunch of sweaty, screaming, moshing people sounds like it could be a coronavirus wet dream if a single person in the room is infected.

Idk. I know the safe and smart thing to do is not go. But I've been anticipating this show for months now, and my best friend is going with me and he's not super concerned (with this particular show at least). I'm gonna feel like a bit of a dick if I make him go alone, or be the catalyst for him not going too. But I would feel awful if this was the reason I got this shit too.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm highly leaning not going, but just feeling bummed and wanted to vent. This would maybe be my final moment of recklessness before hunkering down if my workplace wasn't dragging their ass on letting us telework, but I almost certainly will have to come to work tomorrow and probably into next week at this point too, and I do not want to be the person who gives this to my older coworkers because I decided to put myself into a potential spread hotzone for a couple hours of fun.

I'm hoping the venue cancels at the midnight hour so I don't have to feel like it's on me for not seeing the show my friend and I have been yearning to go to for months, but I'm not holding my breath at this point.

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, since the beginning of this thing, I've heard hand washing is the default move, and sanitizer if you're out and about with no access to the [better] soap/water combo.

Plum

May 31, 2018
It's not irrational to be scared. Just work through that fear and take measured steps and make a rational plan, you can get through this unscathed, but it will require conscious decisions to mitigate your risk.

I know, I'm trying all I can but sometimes that just doesn't seem like enough.

Massive chance? You need to calm down dude.

There just seems to be no indication that the chance won't be massive. Death rate percentages can so easily go up and for my Mum especially she's right in the danger zone. I just don't think I'll be able to calm down until this is all over, if it ever is over...

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this was downplayed so much in the early days that some have went to the other extreme and now assume it's a fact of life that you will get it or someone near to you will die. The truth is usually somewhere in the middle. Be aware, but calm down. Everything shutting down so rapidly is scary, but it's also a very good thing. This is what preventing the spread looks like. I don't want to take away from the seriousness but it's vital that we keep level heads and calm down. Take the necessary precautions and relax a little. *hugs*

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Why is Iran handling this so badly? Like, it seems they're having awfully high death counts compared to other countries right now. Is that because it was in Iran first? Did Iran botch it by suppressing information? Is their medical infrastructure pitiful?

My fear is what's happening in Iran will happen in America. Look at how this country handles hurricanes and Flint..

I don't think anyone outside of Iran can say for sure but I'd imagine all of those things factor in a little.

I believe China and Italy have very aged populations too, is that the case for Iran?

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
I know, I'm trying all I can but sometimes that just doesn't seem like enough.

It will be, because we know how this spreads and how to drastically reduce risks of infection. Maintain strict viral discipline and your mum and you will come out of this great. Make sure she is being disciplined in her hygiene practices as well.

It might help to reduce the problem from where it's at now into smaller chucks of problem, starting with your food stores, your hygiene practices, your social practices, etc. etc. that way you can concentrate on smaller bits while working on the whole.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kind of annoying that I still see people downplaying it like it's no big deal if they get it because they're young and healthy. It's like they don't realise it can still be a really unpleasant virus to have even if you're young and healthy but more importantly they can easily spread it to people where it's much more likely to be serious. I've seen people on twitter talking like it's nothing and how they're going to go to things anyway and all their followers are saying how brave they are and calling them king and stuff. Just seems dangerous.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
A 15 year old girl or 25 year old woman (I don't know why they are vague in this) has been confirmed as the third official case in greater Houston

She apparently traveled to New York recently

Plum

May 31, 2018
It will be, because we know how this spreads and how to drastically reduce risks of infection. Maintain strict viral discipline and your mum and you will come out of this great. Make sure she is being disciplined in her hygiene practices as well.

I'll try but one slip-up at work for either of us and we're fucked, leaving our fates to luck which is something that rarely, if ever, turns out in my favour. She's also not the best at heeding warnings that I give her, probably because I've always been the constant 'worry-wart' of the family.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
The provinces outside Hubei have already back to normal life except we are continue being asked to wear face masks and body temperature check.
Now the government pays more attention on import cases and to cure the remaining cases in Wuhan.

Some of my friends have been back to office for 2 weeks and there isn't any second wave outbreak in Shanghai.
Very interesting, thanks for the insight.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any large scale events in the next month or so that haven't been canceled yet?

Wrestlemania is the only one I can think of.