• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
hQzuEE3.jpg

The only time it has been nice to be so isolated in WV.

The reality is that our health services are so underfunded that I don't believe we've really started testing here, yet.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
11k tested with 1.3k positive. Isn't the percentage a bit too high or am I just bad at math?
It makes sense; right now you have to go through a huge fucking song and dance to get tested. They're not testing any John Doe who walks in with a fever and a cough right off the bat. You're going to have to either show a connection to the virus (travel, contact with a confirmed case) or have major symptoms and test negatively for like every flu test available. And even then, you still aren't guaranteed to get a test by your local Health Department. Basically, you have to have a decently high chance of having it already to get tested, so naturally the rate of positive cases is a lot higher. Once people can go to a medical clinic and say "I have a fever and a cough" and get tested on the spot, it will lower dramatically.

You know, assuming we ever get our shit together to have the testing capacity for that.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
A vaccine is being worked on. There's no need to do this indefinitely, but we need to do it for quite a few months yet.
If the strain mutates, a vaccine may not be as effective even if it comes out sometime next year. We don't know if that will happen but I'm saying don't necessarily put all your hope into that.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
If the strain mutates, a vaccine may not be as effective even if it comes out sometime next year. We don't know if that will happen but I'm saying don't necessarily put all your hope into that.

Wouldn't the virus mutating be good news-ish? Viruses tend to mutate to become less aggressive/fatal.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Took a day off and bought food for few weeks. It was relatively okay but people are really going nuts with buying toilet paper, feels like a meme. There was a dude with nothing but toilet paper in the cart.

Also it seems it took a virus to stop people from eating at McDs because the one near the mall I was at looked like a ghost town.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Sobering article from Vox:

www.vox.com

Coronavirus will also cause a loneliness epidemic

We need to take both social distancing and the "social recession" it will cause seriously.

Deborah Johnson Lanholm, 63, lives in Sicklerville, New Jersey. A retired nurse, she's the primary caretaker for her older sister, Helen Palese, who lives with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or Lou Gehrig's disease. "She's nonverbal," Deborah says. "I do her speaking for her. So every other day, we do something together. We go to the movies. I take her to my crocheting group. We go out to dinner or the mall. But she's with other people. All of that will have to stop because she's too compromised."

And it won't just stop for Helen. It'll stop for Deborah, too. "I'll have to change my routine because I have to care for her," Deborah says. "I won't go out in crowds or be in places where I'll be exposed."

Make no mistake: The rapid implementation of social distancing is necessary to flatten the coronavirus curve and prevent the current pandemic from worsening. But just as the coronavirus fallout threatens to cause an economic recession, it's also going to cause what we might call a "social recession": a collapse in social contact that is particularly hard on the populations most vulnerable to isolation and loneliness — older adults and people with disabilities or preexisting health conditions.

fierygunrob

One Winged Slayer
Jan 16, 2018
27-E36-BF0-5506-415-B-95-CF-FD24108122-D4.jpg
A064-B43-D-1993-4086-BCF0-D662-A18-FF42-B.jpg
F8-C19307-62-C5-4719-B130-9-B9-F071-B9-C51.jpg
DE9-D0-A8-F-388-C-4-E9-A-80-C3-1-EF91-C59070-A.jpg

I've been curious just how poorly the US has mishandled this, so I wanted to see what our cases looked like compared to other countries. Most countries follow a similar curve to France(rough, but the trend looks to be there), China and Italy here. The only other country with a gap like the first one in the US graph is the UK, and I can't find anything else equivalent to that second long period with just a few cases each day.

I'm not a mathematician, but it looks like we should have a lot more diagnosed cases than we currently do. Eyeballing it, maybe at least double?

source: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Oct 25, 2017
Are there timers you can put on the question or test, typically it takes longer to look it up in google than actually doing the problem.
There are, yes, but honestly so many of our students receive accommodations--and we are so relaxed about things like going a bit over time on a test with everyone anyway--that it would be a real wreck to actually implement. Good in theory, though. Thanks.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A vaccine is being worked on. There's no need to do this indefinitely, but we need to do it for quite a few months yet.

A vaccine won't be available til next year. "Flattening the curve" probably means we have to remain in this shutdown state for the good part of this year, right? Some very renowned virologist already said that this virus probably won't slow down much in the summer.

No idea how this will work. China already wants to ramp up production again soon.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
could it be that corona is far more serious in the us then what is being reported now? because 1000-2000 infections in a country with more than 300 million seems not that much. or is the washington a known location with a lot of infections.

It is definitely far more serious than what is being reported, but this kind of thing isn't happening due to super secret inside information. We as a nation are locking ourselves down ahead of the tsunami. Later than we should have, but people are taking the initiative and doing it on their own. You can feel it now, where I am at least. People on the street are getting it. They're going into wartime mode.

If schools continue to refuse to close down, people will be pulling their kids. It's just very difficult to be that first parent who does this. The social pressures involved with being that freak who pulls out their kid are more intense than non-parents really know. The fact that the education bureaucracy isn't pulling the trigger and making this decision for the parents is an absolute national shame. Schools are one of the top vectors for spread of any disease.

My conspiracy theory is that these bureaucracies know that if all of the kids are home for a month, a meaningful percentage will notice that they aren't falling behind and indeed are moving ahead while studying at home, and won't return.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
could it be that corona is far more serious in the us then what is being reported now? because 1000-2000 infections in a country with more than 300 million seems not that much. or is the washington a known location with a lot of infections.

It isn't just about keeping things secret, either: doctors are testing kits are a finite resource, and not everyone who has any chance of having the virus is tested. Not gonna throw random numbers that could just alarm people but it's obvious the numbers are much higher between those infected without having symptoms or those who just can't be bothered/can't afford to stay home sick.

Oct 28, 2017
So that's how a true world wide crisis looks like.

2020 looked so boring at first, where we complained about slow game releases in Q1.

Edit: I can almost guarantee Trump will be the last person on this damn planet to get the virus.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
North America really needs to start getting more proactive.

It's not so bad in Canada but this won't last

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
Here in Colombia, our sub-president declared sanitary emergency and announced the cancelation of every event with over 500 people.

www.semana.com

Duque decretó la emergencia sanitaria en todo el país por el coronavirus

En todo el mundo se han registrado más de 125.000 casos de infección en más de 100 países y territorios, causando la muerte de 4.600 personas.

We're late to the party but the adopted measures are for the greater good.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
still awaiting Pritzker to ban public events.......smaller venues have already cancelled. No way he will let 15,000 gather inside the united center come this weekend right?

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh I've been apartment hunting this past month and I feel like now I have to put it on hold until this thing at least calms down.

Oct 27, 2017
The issue for us with school closing and in doing things online:
Public schools have a federal mandate to provide equal access to education. If just one student doesn't have internet access at home that can cause a stir. Now imagine this in poorer districts. We're essentially all scrambling to make plans and show the state department of education that we're attempting to exhaust every resource in order to deal with this in hopes that they count this as continued education and allow us to not have to go to school for the 180 mandated days.

We don't have a lot of clear answers.

Indeed. Our district just announced a few minutes ago, they're trying to get a waiver from the state to be exempt from the 180 days, but for the moment I just want to know how the kids who need the meals are going to get them.

Nov 27, 2017
California
Think I'll stock up on canned foods, water and some medicines for my parents today, them being in their 70s and retired they need to stay home but they love going out.

BackLogJoe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Last night was so creepy in my area of NYC. Nobody out, complete silence. And all you could hear were several helicopters flying back and forth.

How are we still at this point?

I work my ass off. I'd rather die than be stuck at home on vacation. I expect in two months I'll have already had the virus and either recovered or died anyway.