• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what the better option is. Maybe I'm wrong.

My main point is that there are lots of people out there panicking more than I feel is necessary and coming up with solutions without thinking through the long-term effects those solutions have. Like someone else said, I agree there's no win-win here. It seems like we've fucked up already as a country and as a global society on this.

The longer you spend hesitating, the more the virus will spread exponentially, with schools and universities being a huge risk. You're basically gambling a certain risk of running out of personnel, equipment and medicine against a chance of economic problems.

Most EU governments are currently doing this, because they know what will happen if they don't change the trajectory right now. They only have to look at Italy to see how bad it can be.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Government of Canada has updated their offical page on COVID-19 (under outbreak update).

COVID-19: Outbreak update - Canada.ca

Information for Canadians on COVID-19 (coronavirus) including current cases, risk, monitoring, COVID-19 variants and how to get updates.

They're behind on the case count for the provinces (+2 in Quebec, +5 in Alberta, +1 in New Brunswick).

Some interesting stats they have listed:

• the onset of illnesses occurred between January 15 and March 8, 2020
  • 52% of ill individuals are female
  • 76% of ill individuals are over the age of 40
  • 13% of ill individuals have been hospitalized
  • 1 person has died of COVID-19
  • 79% of ill individuals are travellers and 12% are close contacts of those travellers

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Closing schools for a month could lead to financial ruin for many families and I don't trust our social safety nets to help them in a way that won't lead to rippling long-term effects in those families including unnecessary deaths down the road due to lack of housing, healthcare, etc.
Those are problems that your government can solve, if it choses to do so. The pathology of a virus can't be bargained with, so you have to take the necessary steps.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I think my family had this back in early feb. everyone had high fevers and bad coughs.
my kids were tested back then for flu and it came back negative but I think they only tested for flu.

The thing is we can't just go get tested at this time with no symptoms.

I think alot of people have probably had it and it has been transported to different countries before the China break out.

Would be crazy if true. I like to think we've already had it and are immune, that would be nice.

We went through the same thing. Me my wife, and both of our daughters had some nasty stuff that lasted almost 2 weeks. Flu symptoms all over the place, but every single flu test on all of us failed. One of the doctors just simply declared that my oldest daughter had the flu, even though flu tests came back negative on every attempt.

I remember telling my wife that I don't think flu tests can be very accurate because there's no way we can get that many negatives and have what we had.

We are talking chills, and high temperatures that lasted nearly a week. Plus coughing to the point that your ribs hurt.

Was probably something else though 🤷🏼‍♂️

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
Closing schools for a month could lead to financial ruin for many families and I don't trust our social safety nets to help them in a way that won't lead to rippling long-term effects in those families including unnecessary deaths down the road due to lack of housing, healthcare, etc.

All of this will still happen when the healthcare system collapses, consumer confidence is crushed, and we got into a much deeper and longer recession.

Wolfapo

Dec 27, 2017
what I mean is that it could lead to more deaths in the long term
If it's financial, the government should help.
Death is not reversible. But financial issues can be with the proper safety net and compensation as soon as this is over.

I can't believe people valueing money over lives at this stage.

Just look at Italy right now and see what happens if you let it run its course.

Chairdeath

Oct 29, 2017
My wife is a manager of the ICU nursing unit at the hospital here. We are counting down the days until she brings it home, we kinda just at peace with that. We are in our 30s so we are just banking on being able to bounce back from it.

Oct 27, 2017
Keep in mind that the US is also different state-by-state, and there are 50 of them plus DC, PR, and other territories.

Some states have taken up the coronavirus action plans on their own, in absence of federal leadership. You should check to see what your state and local community is and isn't currently doing about this. Many action plans, including school closings, are underway. I'm close to the New Rochelle outbreak, and we've had a small mass outbreak in my county which has prompted school closings because kids were in contact.

Drive-thru test-kits have arrived and some doctors are beginning to use them. The test takes a few hours to process, but the turnaround is still 3-4 days because there aren't enough labs to test.

Schools close all the time in the summer and on holiday breaks. They can close, and some parts of the curriculum can be conducted online. The disruption for people is in being fed by the schools, and work schedules.

Get well soon Serebii.

BoondockRiley

Nov 15, 2017
So two pokemon plushes i ordered for my sister for her birthday a few months ago came today, they're from japan, I'm in the UK (was via eBay btw) can the virus attach itself to fabric?

Mars89

Banned
Nov 18, 2018
My wife is a manager of the ICU nursing unit at the hospital here. We are counting down the days until she brings it home, we kinda just at peace with that. We are in our 30s so we are just banking on being able to bounce back from it.
That doctor from china who warned people about the virus in December died of it. He was 34

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Would be crazy if true. I like to think we've already had it and are immune, that would be nice.

We went through the same thing. Me my wife, and both of our daughters had some nasty stuff that lasted almost 2 weeks. Flu symptoms all over the place, but every single flu test on all of us failed. One of the doctors just simply declared that my oldest daughter had the flu, even though flu test came back negative on every attempt.

I remember telling my wife that I don't think flu test can be very accurate because there's no way we can get that many negatives and have what we had.

We are talkin chills, and high temperatures that lasted nearly a week. Plus coughing to the point that your ribs hurt.

Was probably something else though 🤷🏼‍♂️

Same happened to my family in Toronto. My sister got sick with what we thought was the flu, but it was bad. High fever for five days, bad muscle ache/chills, a terrible cough. She became bed-ridden and couldn't eat or drink for a day since anything made her cough. She recovered, then I got it with not as bad symptoms (mostly headache, bad cough that made my lungs burn, slight fever, aches) and got over it in a few days.

My mom got it and also had it bad. She's had a lingering cough and weakness plus shortness of breath for a month. Finally getting better.

All of us were negative for flu. No idea what it was; the doctor said it was a "unknown flu-like virus".

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Keep in mind that the US is also different state-by-state, and there are 50 of them plus DC, PR, and other territories.

Some states have taken up the coronavirus action plans on their own, in absence of federal leadership. You should check to see what your state and local community is and isn't currently doing about this. Many action plans, including school closings, are underway. I'm close to the New Rochelle outbreak, and we've had a small mass outbreak in my county which has prompted school closings because kids were in contact.

Drive-thru test-kits have arrived and some doctors are beginning to use them. The test takes a few hours to process, but the turnaround is still 3-4 days because there aren't enough labs to test.

Schools close all the time in the summer and on holiday breaks. They can close, and some parts of the curriculum can be conducted online. The disruption for people is in being fed by the schools, and work schedules.

Get well soon Serebii.

The issue for us with school closing and in doing things online:
Public schools have a federal mandate to provide equal access to education. If just one student doesn't have internet access at home that can cause a stir. Now imagine this in poorer districts. We're essentially all scrambling to make plans and show the state department of education that we're attempting to exhaust every resource in order to deal with this in hopes that they count this as continued education and allow us to not have to go to school for the 180 mandated days.

We don't have a lot of clear answers.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
So two pokemon plushes i ordered for my sister for her birthday a few months ago came today, they're from japan, I'm in the UK (was via eBay btw) can the virus attach itself to fabric?

Let it sit for a few days if you are worried. But it's likely fine if the shipping took more than a few days already.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone,

I'm a high school teacher in the US working to get our school ready to go online-only (likely for 2 weeks or so) in the event we close the campus. One thing I'm struggling with is how to handle tests/assessments in certain disciplines. For example, how to write a math or physics test for students to take at home where they can just Google everything. Or a foreign language test when students can just run it through a translating program. The fine arts department has an obvious problem with any kind of online instruction.

If anyone has suggestions for what their schools are doing (either high school or college) for these issues, I'd love to hear it. Either in-thread or by PM is fine.

Thanks

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but likely not for the days or weeks it took the plushies to ship and arrive (I think estimates are it can survive up to 5 days on smooth shiny surfaces, less for everything else). You should be fine.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Hey everyone,

I'm a high school teacher in the US working to get our school ready to go online-only (likely for 2 weeks or so) in the event we close the campus. One thing I'm struggling with is how to handle tests/assessments in certain disciplines. For example, how to write a math or physics test for students to take at home where they can just Google everything. Or a foreign language test when students can just run it through a translating program. The fine arts department has an obvious problem with any kind of online instruction.

If anyone has suggestions for what their schools are doing (either high school or college) for these issues, I'd love to hear it. Either in-thread or by PM is fine.

Thanks
That must be really tricky with your subject to be honest. I guess logic problems would be my suggestion for Maths, something they can't just Google

Ultimately though, school boards are going to have to accept that the work the students do won't be nearly as good as being in lesson.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I think we're gonna be headed into mostly lock down mode now. We have an 18 month old we usually take to library story times and play about 4 times per week. We're going to stop that for a bit. Going to stock up on groceries today or Saturday. I already work from home and my wife is a professor. Her school hasn't released their plan yet but it seems like they'll be going online for at least a bit after Spring Break.

Going to be boring and hard to entertain this little one (though thankfully weather is getting a bit better so we can maybe go outside) but worth it to not spread to others. We'd be ok but I don't want to cause any more danger to others.

Wonder if my parents changed tune yet. Hopefully they're taking it seriously now (just this weekend they said it was overhyped and less dangerous than the flu). My mom helps care for my elderly grandmother in a nursing home most days so I'm afraid for her and them.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know what Europe is waiting for a full lockdown for each EU country. Does every country needs to get in the state similar to Italy?

The actual situation is worse than what the numbers show which is already critical and each day will mean lots of lives lost.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Embarrassingly accurate...

a9RwyMD_700bwp.webp

Sources:

https://www.publico.pt/2020/03/11/impar/opiniao/coronavirus-meninos-nao-sao-ferias-1907315 (picture in the article is from yesterday).

https://sicnoticias.pt/especiais/coronavirus/2020-03-11-Praia-de-Carcavelos-repleta-de-banhistas-autoridades-deixam-alerta (news article with a bunch of twitter threads with pics and whatnot).

While it's true that the country itself isn't in quarantine right now; 1 city already is, the # of cases keep increasing, medical and political authorities keep reminding people to avoid any social contact/gathering they can and yet people are using their 15 days off (as prevention in case they suspect they have any symptoms) as vacation. Literally. In March.

*sigh*.

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019
West Ireland here, work in a city centre. Supermarkets are chaos since partial lockdown announcements earlier. People in work panicking about not having enough food too, gunna loads out now with childcare being closed. Rough times ahead.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Both the mirror and the s*n splashes today about school closures by next week in the uk with schools and teachers needing some time to prep at home packs to be ready to go by tomorroe, so that's likely why they haven't closed down just yet. The mirror is a good source, but that S rag splashing on the story means it very likely going to happen very soon.

Walked into work this morning with a fleet of laptops and mobiles ready to go for WFH, signed the forms today about keeping them at home. Well, that's settled then. Got a meeting today about arrangements but just a formality for all.intents and purposes.

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Ultimately it seems relatively clear this is going to infect millions. Its all over the world, and its going to get uncontrolled somewhere, if not multiple places. We just have to see how deadly it actually is. Hopefully the current estimates are high.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
I'm started to get very concerned about this, I live in zone 1 London and apart from some leaflets posted on my block no one seems to care here. The numbers from italy iare very scary, I work on building sites which are ver body heavy and I know none of these companies would dare shut down for a few weeks to help maintain the spread but more importantly the public services like the tube, people should really avoid them and the govement should step into do something about it.

1 persons sickness could infect thousands.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone,

Thanks
Foreign languages will be tough. For math try to set up question bank quizzes which randomize who gets what questions. People can still use Google to get an edge but it'll be more difficult for them to do so. Plagiarism checker for history/science/English, etc..

ReactionShot

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know the error rate of the test, showing false-positive or false-negative?

I remember that some Chinese news outlets reported a while ago that PCR tests for coronavirus cases had a false negative rate of 50%-60%; I guess that's partly the reason why the official treatment guide in China requires that every case must be tested twice with a 24-hour interval. There were also some extreme cases in China and Japan where patients didn't test positive until they paid multiple (3+) visits to the hospital. I am sure that accuracy is higher now as we begin to understand this virus better.

Antibody tests are far more accurate, but it takes a few days for human bodies to produce antibodies so it may not be the best method for patients in earlier stages.

dryz

Oct 30, 2017
State of emergency declared in the Czech Republic. Events above 30 people are banned. Restaurants/bars will be closed after 8pm. Borders are closed for foreigners from risk countries.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I was pretty ready to keep living life as-normal (I've only just started playing DnD and the like) but then one of the local schools had an infection from someone who came back from Italy pre-confirmation so it's really hard to tell just how much it might have spread

Doesn't help that a lot of people here still seem to be in that misinformed "it's just the flu" stage, though the school locking down might have put the fear in them

I don't want to bring my life to a crawl, and I also figure I'll be fine at 28 with only mild asthma, but the idea of being a vector/taking up hospital space genuinely freaks me out and I'd get survivor's guilt or something if it did happen

Dunno what I'm gonna do at this point, I already work from home so it doesn't really feel justified going downtown entirely for recreational purposes

Deleted member 36105

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I really wish I was not here today. Everyone is leaving the office to work from home, and I'm the one configuring the laptops for remote connections. I haven't been able to keep my usual protections and measures, and I have been in close contact with people that were coughing a lot, plus in a state of panic. One would not let me get close to her (it was necessary) and to prepare the computer unless I wore a mask, although they were not sure if they were afraid that I was infected or that they were infected.

And apparently seeing me moving around in mask and black nitrile gloves has made the people panic a bit. The IT team is a bit like one of those Vietnam movies were they are super chill while bullets fly over all the time. But I'm pretty scared that I have been in contact with too many people today and I statisticaly, there are chances I could have something. I'm going to stay away from my parents (we meet on sundays for lunch) for at least two weeks, I'm afraid I could pass something to them.

I can't think straight, and I haven't watched the news for several hours of non stop work. I know it's absurd to think about it, but I'm getting a deja vu from HBO Chernobyl when for days they have been telling it's not too bad and now suddenly the evacuation happens. I need time to process what's been happening today. Once they nebulise the whole building I probably be safer here acting like a skeleton crew, but... I wish I could sleep right now.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
He was almost eating a big virus sandwich. He was exposed to so much of an amount the body could not cope with it.
This doesn't exist, he get the virus doesn't matter how many he was exposed, after you get you are with the virus, period. He died because people of 30,40 can die of that and are dying of that, less than old people but they are dying.

Mars89

Banned
Nov 18, 2018
I wasn't trying to fear monger. I was simply pointing out that deaths are not relegated to the elderly and the sickly