• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of cases, obvs. But the first lockdown was on January 23. And regards 9-11 millions of people. How is possible that Italy has a much more spread than China in short time?
China locked down when they were seeing around 400 new cases per day, with that rate roughly doubling every two days. Your idea that they saw only 500 cases in the amount of time that Italy saw 10,000 is incorrect.

Also, due to incubation rate and symptom onset, rate of detected cases usually takes well over a week to respond to lockdown measures. All indications are that Hubei's lockdown was instantly massively successful at preventing spread, but confirmed cases continued to grow exponentially for over ten days because the infection had already spread so far by the time the lockdown happened. China's current rate of case influx is low because their social distancing measures have been effective; Italy is still seeing the exponential growth from the period before they implemented any serious measures.

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
If this has already been posted I am sorry, but my country (Denmark) is effectively closing down. From Friday and two weeks forth all schools, public offices (apart from health) will be closed down. All clubs, unions, religions etc are advices to not hold meetings and meeting held with above 100 people is strictly forbidden.
All private companies are advices to sent their workers home to work from home.

Good call, the other country should really look at Italy: Spain, France and Germany are next if they don't do anything. You need some extreme measures, just telling people to stay at home is useless.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, I got a climate change denying religious nutjob of a college that said something similar today in the elevator. I just didn't say anything. Not worth my time and sanity. The weird thing is we already got a college that's in self quarantine and being tested today (has been to a funeral last week and came in contact with a confirmed infected), so despite this whole thing closing in fast on people they still hold onto their little delusions. You'd think at some point panic sinks in, but nah, it's still all about sticking their head into sand. It's weird man.
I'm fortunate that the 4 other people on my team have been rather reasonable on this. They are concerned but aren't panicking. That's kind of me right now, though I am concerned for my family members that are in a more at risk demographic.
For myself, I've come to terms with the fact I will probably be infected at some point while simultaneously being in a much less at risk demographic.

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if this was posted, but NM has confirmed 3 cases and our governor has declared a state of emergency.
www.krqe.com

Governor Lujan Grisham declares public health emergency following confirmed cases of coronavirus

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – The New Mexico Department of Health and Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham have confirmed on Wednesday, March 11 that four New Mexico residents have tested presumptive…

Following that the annual Bataan Memorial Death March has been canceled which was supposed to happen this weekend.
kvia.com

Bataan Memorial Death March canceled by Army due to coronavirus concerns - KVIA

WHITE SANDS MISSILE RANGE, New Mexico – U.S. Army officials on Wednesday made the decision to cancel this year's Bataan Memorial Death March as a precautionary measure against the spread of the coronavirus. The 31st running had been scheduled to take place Sunday at White Sands Missile Range...

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I wonder if Trump will try to co-opt the obvious race-baiting monikers "Chinese coronavirus" or "Wuhan virus" that have been going around alt-right circles in his address tonight.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
A cabinet minister isolating in the UK.
And a third now:

"In addition to the unnamed cabinet minister, the junior health minister Ed Argar is also self-isolating after having dinner with Nadine Dorries on Thursday night, the Guardian understands."

www.theguardian.com

El Salvador bans mass gatherings as virus spreads – as it happened

President takes action as World Health Organization chief says number of cases reported and number of countries affected ‘doesn’t tell full story’. This blog is closed

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
www.google.com

Juventus' Rugani has coronavirus - BBC Sport

Juventus announce that Italy centre-back Daniele Rugani has tested positive for coronavirus.

3 days ago according to a tweet reply... hes in top right. That's Ronaldo right there!
ES3Iem8X0AUmVsP

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
If the US doesn't flatten the curve, and if hundreds of thousands of people die. You can kiss goodbye to the neocon, far-right political spectrum.

Absolute useless pursuing America-first, billionaire-first, miilitary-first policies if you can't even take care of your people at home.

xMM4nsonx

Nov 1, 2017
China locked down when they were seeing around 400 new cases per day, with that rate roughly doubling every two days. Your idea that they saw only 500 cases in the amount of time that Italy saw 10,000 is incorrect.

Also, due to incubation rate and symptom onset, rate of detected cases usually takes well over a week to respond to lockdown measures. All indications are that Hubei's lockdown was instantly massively successful at preventing spread, but confirmed cases continued to grow exponentially for over ten days because the infection had already spread so far by the time the lockdown happened. China's current rate of case influx is low because their social distancing measures have been effective; Italy is still seeing the exponential growth from the period before they implemented any serious measures.

Thank you so much for you answer! Very clear right now : ) But I can assure you: we are now the the third week of epidemic and we have register more cases than China, as told by Wikipedia and World meters. Mine was just a curiosity, by the way and your explanation is great.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
If the US doesn't flatten the curve, and if hundreds of thousands of people die. You can kiss goodbye to the neocon, far-right political spectrum.

Absolute useless pursuing America-first, billionaire-first, miilitary-first policies if you can't even take care of your people at home.
I doubt it to be honest, their constituents are literally insane.

Lyndis Lorca

Oct 25, 2017
My college here in So Cal is moving to online instruction starting tomorrow.

Not too worried about my classes there, but I'm still anxious about my placement at my current site while working for my teacher credential. If we shutdown in the next few weeks, I dunno what's going to happen to hours, observations, and CalTPA submissions. /:

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
That's fair. Though in hindsight, probably all travel in/out from China should've been halted immediately.

Italy liked the tourist dollars they get from China too much to take that step, Canada and US were allowing flights to come in with no medical screening protocol for weeks.

What are you even talking about, Italy was the only country in Europe that banned flights from China. The strain that is causing this outbreak didn't come from China, but probably from Germany or somewhere else, this is why nobody was ready when they discovered it.

The problem is that there was no way to prevent this, even if you ban all the travels from the source, you can still get it indirectly. The only thing that can work is to stop the spreading as fast as possible.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

They will blame China and Asian people and big chunk of the population will buy that shit.
Not sure if enough to win the next election, but it's not like the GOP didn't fucked up the entire world this century.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of cases, obvs. But the first lockdown was on January 23. And regards 9-11 millions of people. How is possible that Italy has a much more spread than China in short time?

You don't know how many people had the virus at start of the lock down.

The number of confirmed cases should not been taken as the true number of infected because the testing capacity was very limited, Italy started mass testing when they already had enough capacity.

Retro dating trying to guess when they got infected the number look different from the confirmed cases.

jvp200028f1.png

You can find the article here https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2762130

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
3 days ago according to a tweet reply... hes in top right. That's Ronaldo right there!
ES3Iem8X0AUmVsP
Yeah, the whole team must have already infected. It doesn't really matter, as they're young and definitely healthy, and the league is already suspended anyway. But they're from different nationalities, if they're able to go back home, they might spread the virus further.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019

Republicans will find a way to blame those damn libruls. They always do.

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
First confirmed case on Crete where I live, shits about to get real,they have already announced closings for 2 weeks from kindergartens to universities across all the country, i expect a similar situation to Italy with only farmacies and super markets open next week, stay safe everyone.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018

Actually, it's a studied fact that times of stress an anxiety cause people to pivot conservatively. If anything, I expect Coronavirus to help Trump get re-elected massively, even if the virus hurts relatively few people.

jani

Nov 9, 2017
Finland

They'll just get more angry and vote someone even more crazy..

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
The Danish Prime minister announced the following today:

All schools, museums, public indtitutions etc are shut down beginning monday. If possible, students should stay home beginning tomorrow.

All government employees in non-essential functions (so not healthcare, police, fire department) are sent home effective immediately.

Gatherings of more than 100 people highly discouraged.

All companies strongly urged to let people work from home.

Bars, discos and restaurants urged to close. They will be compensated financially.

Travelling on trains that go between cities will require seat reservations. That way the train company (we only have one) can limit how many passengers are on each train.

I work in an IT Servicedesk. Tomorrow me and my teamleader are the only employees coming in (not before 11 am) in order to make the last physically necessary tasks such as making laptops ready for users. The other supporters are told to work from home. I expect practically the whole company to work from home come monday.

ctj

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, California
I was just notified that classes for my community college in the Bay Area are cancelled for the next few days while they transfer everything to online.

Zaphod

Aug 21, 2019
There's this woman I work with who thinks the coronavirus is an overblown hoax. I've been trying to convince her to show some respect for those of us with compromised immune systems, etc. (as there are in our office, including a close friend of mine) so she came up to me and LITERALLY COUGHED ON ME. Then she goes, "Do you think you're infected now?"

I can't even.

I work in the reddest Trump loving company ever, and I'm pretty sure even our HR would not tolerate something like that.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
They will blame China and Asian people and big chunk of the population will buy that shit.
Not sure if enough to win the next election, but it's not like the GOP didn't fucked up the entire world this century.

They'll also say that China is communist and voting for libs is basically voting for communism so...

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

They'll create conspiracys and blame immigrants and China and whatever else they can. Trumps whole spat with China will catch more followers than ever.

If anything hundreds of thousands of deaths will strengthen the far right. And Billionaires will use the chaos to consolidate more power.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Actually, it's a studied fact that times of stress an anxiety cause people to pivot conservatively. If anything, I expect Coronavirus to help Trump get re-elected massively, even if the virus hurts relatively few people.

not when the evidence shows the time of stress was largely caused by administration incompetence.

Not to mention, Trump's only real selling point right now is the economy.

elelunicy

Oct 27, 2017
The first doctor to discover it was actually censored by her superiors.

www.theguardian.com

Coronavirus: Wuhan doctor speaks out against authorities

Ai Fen says in interview, which censors are trying to erase, how superiors reprimanded her for warning about outbreak
She's not the first doctor that discovered it. The report she saw on December 30 was incorrect (it mistakenly identified it as the original SARS). China itself officially reported the outbreak to WHO on December 31 as "pneumonia of unknown cause", which was appropriate as the virus was not identified at the time.