• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
My fiancee and I just had a talk about me coming back. She's in South Dakota, I'm in California and I'm planning on heading back on the 4th of April.

I'm monitoring everything and going to play it by ear. There's no confirmed outbreak here (Susanville, CA), but there are in Washoe county, which is about 80 miles away, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's made it's way here and just hasn't been detected yet since we're a small community.

My trip would take me through Reno, Salt Lake City and then to Spearfish, SD.

I've also canceled some appointments I had at the VA in Reno this week.

My plan is to just hunker down and mitigate my travel for the time being.

In my personal opinion, if you're driving back I think you have a better chance of not catching covid-19 when you stop for fuel in the less populated states. Stay safe when you travel back!

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
These motherfuckers are gonna get people killed

Here's the thing, these soulless cretins don't fucking care.

If you're not with them, you're the enemy and they view, and treat, you as such.

They want you dead, they want you out of the way so they can rob everyone of everything you've ever earned to hoard it for themselves.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
6 New Cases of Coronavirus Confirmed in Illinois, Lifting State to 25

Illinois has six new confirmed cases of coronavirus, health officials announced Wednesday, bringing the state's total to 25.
"With these new cases, we are seeing more spread in our community, and again I echo the governor's comments that we need to be mindful if anyone is experiencing symptoms, has been in contact with any of these cases that they should notify their provider," said Illinois Department of Public Health Director Dr. Ngozi Ezike.

The majority of the new cases were reported in Chicago and Cook County, though a Lake County man in his 50s was also diagnosed, Ezike said. The Cook County cases include:

• A man in his 80s
  • 2 men in their 70s
  • A woman in her 50s
  • A man in his 40s
www.nbcchicago.com

6 New Cases of Coronavirus Confirmed in Illinois, Lifting State to 25

Illinois has six new confirmed cases of coronavirus, health officials announced Wednesday, bringing the state’s total to 25. The update came during the state’s daily coronavirus press briefing. “With these new cases, we are seeing more spread in our community, and again I echo the governor’s...

Fuck. It's officially arrived in my county (Lake).

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
My company in NYC finally made the call - voluntary work from home is now in effect. People can choose to go in if they'd like (I was fucking rolling my eyes at the one girl asking if she could come in tomorrow because she was just "so busy") but for the most part, everyone will be staying home. They didn't put a time limit on it. Some folks said "Yeah we'll be back in a week or two" but honestly? I think this thing is just going to be gearing up in a week or two. Based on how things in Italy are going, we may not be back until end of April/early May.

Happy to not have to be in NYC anymore. It was giving me so much anxiety. Now I just have to worry about my parents/grandparents. My dad is flying on Friday and I've been trying to convince him not to. He is 60 and healthy, but he's being a bit thick headed about this unfortunately. Sigh.

Oct 27, 2017
My work is moving to remote and we're a big ass national corporation. All non essential at to stay at home till April and go from there.

good news is my partner just has the normal flu (probably)

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
My friends and clients are becoming extremely racist towards China (even those who weren't before). I guess we will see massive shift in attitude.
If Trump was slightly less stupid, he'd be shit talking China more over this, not attacking the democrats who can easily point out in an election year how the GOP set the country up to be poorly equipped for this.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Fuck, this will hit Sweden very soon, and my bank card is currently dead. Have food for a few days only, still waiting on the new card to arrive. Hopefully it will be soon.

There were things missing from some stores today, and the subway was rather empty.

We told the thread 2 weeks ago, that stocking up on essentials is not fearmongering or panic buying, just common sense. It is too late to start preparing when the government declares we can officially panic.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Incredible how selfish people are. Listened to talk radio on the way home and some dad was mad about the online college thing, "this isn't what I pay for! Me me me!"

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
So democrats somehow created a virus, planted it in Japan, and let it rage to "manipulate economies."

Seems like a stretch.

Even if you humor the conspiracy, an executive office that was proactive, well-informed, and coordinating with other leaders across the globe would have been able to stop the "Deep State Virus" before it even became a problem at home anyway.

But of course their train of thought will stop well before they reach that conclusion.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We told the thread 2 weeks ago, that stocking up on essentials is not fearmongering or panic buying, just common sense. It is too late to start preparing when the government declares we can officially panic.

It's a no shit, sherlock moment. People didn't want to listen and now they're surprised things are gone.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I posted about it in the CUNY thread but my school is in complete pandemonium right now

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
In my personal opinion, if you're driving back I think you have a better chance of not catching covid-19 when you stop for fuel in the less populated states. Stay safe when you travel back!

The issue is the hotel stay in Salt Lake City. It's about a 18 hour drive from my parents in California to my fiancee mom's place. Salt Lake is the half way point. I physically can't drive the full length. I have to stop and get a good night's sleep.

It's a risk I'm not sure I want to take, especially with her mom's medical history (diabetes, a heart attack and cancer).

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
The issue is the hotel stay in Salt Lake City. It's about a 18 hour drive from my parents in California to my fiancee mom's place. Salt Lake is the half way point. I physically can't drive the full length.

It's a risk I'm not sure I want to take, especially with her mom's medical history (diabetes, a heart attack and cancer).

Stay outside of SLC. Last trip across the country I stayed in SLC with the Wife, kiddo, and three pets (hotel). Farther from the interstate the better too. When you eat, go the grocery store and buy food there. Leave today, who knows what tomorrow is going to do in regards to supplies and road closures.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Those people have lost their fucking minds.
Hospital infections are a huge problem, but they prioritize ideology.

SOBOSLDR

Nov 27, 2017
The issue is the hotel stay in Salt Lake City. It's about a 18 hour drive from my parents in California to my fiancee mom's place. Salt Lake is the half way point. I physically can't drive the full length. I have to stop and get a good night's sleep.

Why stay in SLC there are tons of tiny podunk towns you can stay in instead. Most will have a much lower chance of infection make sure you get a motel it will be safer.

Gabe

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Italy
China is the only major functional manufacturer for medical supplies left on this planet now.

Actually, and i learned this like 2 hours ago, we have one of the most important manufacturers of ventilation systems for ICUs.

They've been tasked to triple the production.

They also make it for other countries and they helped sending i don't know how many in Korea.

EDIT: sorry, Italy

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I know maybe it's bad but with all these conventions, sporting events, commutes, business trips, and travel basically being banned until further notice I'm really wondering what effect this will have on greenhouse gases...

It'll be an interesting thing to study once this all blows over and maybe we'll start seeing the rise of non essential travel and working from home.

Gabe

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I know maybe it's bad but with all these conventions, sporting events, commutes, business trips, and travel basically being banned until further notice I'm really wondering what effect this will have on greenhouse gases...

It'll be an interesting thing to study once this all blows over and maybe we'll start seeing the rise of non essential travel and working from home.

www.bbc.com

Coronavirus: Nasa images show China pollution clear amid slowdown

Nasa says major decreases in nitrogen dioxide levels are "at least partly" linked to the outbreak.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania

It's making a huge difference in Wuhan, China last time I looked into it.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Trump fears emergency declaration would contradict coronavirus message

President Donald Trump is reluctant to declare an expansive emergency to combat the escalating coronavirus outbreak, fearful of stoking panic with such a dramatic step, according to three people familiar with the situation.

Instead, the president is expected to sign within days a more limited designation to allow the federal government to cover small business loans, paychecks for hourly workers and delay tax bills, the White House said Wednesday. An emergency declaration would go significantly beyond that move, bringing in the Federal Emergency Management Agency and freeing up funding and resources for states struggling to contain the rapidly spreading virus.

Trump's concern at this point is that going further could hamper his narrative that the coronavirus is similar to the seasonal flu, said the three people familiar with the discussions. The administration is also negotiating with Congress over a stimulus package designed to cushion the coronavirus-hampered economy. But that calculation could change in the coming weeks.

"The president isn't persuaded because [an emergency declaration] contradicts his message that this is the flu," said a Republican who speaks to Trump.

At the White house, some of Trump's closest aides have debated whether an emergency declaration is needed to ensure those resources are available. But they have yet to make a recommendation to Trump, according to the people familiar with the situation.

There's no deadline for a decision, but one of the people familiar with the talks said the task force will not give Trump its final verdict until Jared Kushner, the president's senior adviser and son-in-law, finishes his research and comes to a conclusion himself.

I need a drink.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I think I'll keep my kids at home... pretty sure schools in Germany will be closed anyway at some point, but I'm scared now

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Why stay in SLC there are tons of tiny podunk towns you can stay in instead. Most will have a much lower chance of infection make sure you get a motel it will be safer.

I've decided to push when I leaveback. It's just to much of a risk to my fiancée's mom.

Stay outside of SLC. Last trip across the country I stayed in SLC with the Wife, kiddo, and three pets (hotel). Farther from the interstate the better too. When you eat, go the grocery store and buy food there. Leave today, who knows what tomorrow is going to do in regards to supplies and road closures.

I was going to put my two weeks in next week, but I don't think I'm going to.

It's just a risk I don't want to take, especially in regards to my future mother in law.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's no deadline for a decision, but one of the people familiar with the talks said the task force will not give Trump its final verdict until Jared Kushner, the president's senior adviser and son-in-law, finishes his research and comes to a conclusion himself.

You know I was horrified and then k broke into laughter reading this bullshit

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC

Those people have lost their fucking minds.
Hospital infections are a huge problem, but they prioritize ideology.

Fucking christ, if I think I have the virus I don't give a single fuck who sticks a Q-tip up my nose, I just want it to be done with ease and with the least potential to infect someone else. If I call up my PCP with the presumption I have COVID-19, I guarantee you they will tell me to fuck off to someone else anyway.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Trump's concern at this point is that going further could hamper his narrative that the coronavirus is similar to the seasonal flu, said the three people familiar with the discussions.
giphy.gif

ReactionShot

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, and i learned this like 2 hours ago, we have one of the most important manufacturers of ventilation systems for ICUs.

They've been tasked to triple the production.

They also make it for other countries and they helped sending i don't know how many in Korea.

EDIT: sorry, Italy

I don't mean to be pessimistic, but the key point of this is, for how much longer can we keep producing the medical supplies should the disease keeps going? And more importantly, how many parts in the produced ventilation systems are imported from China?

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
We're now learning that my wife will likely not be able to stay with me or visit me while I'm recovering after my surgery. The wording is that she can be in the hospital (University of Washington) during the surgery, she can see me once I'm done but then she has to leave. 5-7 days by myself in the cardiac ICU. Fuuuuck.