• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was in a packed meeting room yesterday and 3 fucking people were coughing into their damn hands. I'm kind of at the point that I want so send my HR Director an email saying we should be working home at this point. I'm just afraid she will think I'm a loon because there are only 3 confirmed cases here in MN.

She did send out an email last week about COVID-19, telling people to stay home if sick, etc. She distributed hand sanitizers to everyone and also put up coughing and hand washing instruction signs.

I think she will probably pull the trigger on it but it's probably going to take schools closing first.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mass surveillance will be a thing in the future anyway unless there is a major shift in the society. Might as well extract some good use out of it.
The joke is that the US has an unparalleled surveillance state, but we are only allowed to use it to fuck with muslims because freedom.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I am honestly reflecting whether willingly getting infected now rather than later when there's no more beds is a viable strategy... If you're lucky you will get a mild course, if not, then at least there's still space to get treated. Sounds insane and i am not actually considering it but the thought is crossing my mind more and more the way this seems to be going... The only drawback would be i guess that you get a severe course and even if you make it might have lasting damage vs not getting it at ALL if you're extremely lucky and careful.
You wouldn't just be gambling with your own health. That strategy is only a good one if you don't give a single fuck about anyone you may infect.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
SARS lasted 6 months so I'm curious if our added precautions will shorten or extend this current epidemic. Is a longer flu season easier to manage?
Stretching the epidemic helps the healthcare massively. As people are starting to develop natural immunity and the spread gets reduced while if you get say 1 million infected in a relatively short frame (1-3 months) the healthcare system won't be able to treat everyone and basically goes into a triage situation.

If you're interested why hard lockdowns are needed now read this:

medium.com

Coronavirus: Why You Must Act Now

Politicians and Business Leaders: What Should You Do and When?

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was in a packed meeting room yesterday and 3 fucking people were coughing into their damn hands. I'm kind of at the point that I want so send my HR Director an email saying we should be working home at this point. I'm just afraid she will think I'm a loon because there are only 3 confirmed cases here in MN.

She did send out an email last week about COVID-19, telling people to stay home if sick, etc. She distributed hand sanitizers to everyone and also put up coughing and hand washing instruction signs.

I think she will probably pull the trigger on it but it's probably going to take schools closing first.

There's 5 cases now.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, just did a scan of the comments on FB for a local news story on this...lots of stupidity surrounding this.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
It's incredibly frustrating to see Levin and right wing monsters pushing the "more are dying from the flu, only 29 have died, the fear is all the media's fault for trying to ruin Trump", then hear my dad parrot that back to my face even as his workplace is getting quarantined because someone was tested positive

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I'm pretty sure the NSA could absolutely publish every movement of every single confirmed COVID-19 case but it would frankly piss too many people off.
Pretty sure google can do that as well.
For the record, I hate the surveillance state and I wish we didn't do any of that crap, but the idea that we can't implement technological infection control measures like they have in Korea, Taiwan etc because FREEDOM is bullshit.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
15 new confirmed cases in Romania today, 5 of which came from quarantine (People who came back from Italy on the 9th of March).

44 total cases now, none critical fortunately.

I'm really glad the authorities took proactive measures but there's a lot of fake rumours on social media and certain publications right now about the capital shutting down etc.

Those rumours were officially debunked already but people don't need much to start spreading misinformation.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Earlier today the DC Government requested that events of over 1000 people be postponed or cancelled, Monumental Sports & Entertainment says "fuck you" and that Wizards games, Caps games, and music events at their arena are still on.

Guess they'll just wait until there's a spread at one of their events then??

So, they seeing other teams start announcing that they'll be playing without fans in the arenas and they're still so fucking greedy that they won't follow?

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
50k children will be impacted in Seattle Schools. I am sure they will have a way to provide child care, otherwise we will be taking many health professionals who would be fighting this, off the front lines.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Far right Spanish politic Ortega Smith from VOX who has the virus, travelled to Italy well after the outbreak was known. Supposedly he got it there. When he came back he went to multiple public events. The idiot probably transmitted the virus everywhere. It's like there's not even an ounce of inteligence in far-right members...

Oct 27, 2017
Question: at what point does the world "go back to normal" in terms of concerts, bars, social gatherings, etc?

If we have to wait until the vaccine is ready next year, will there ever be a time inbetween now and then that people aren't working at home? It seems to be so contagious and I think I'm missing how we return to doing normal human things before the vaccine is ready. Can someone clarify that for me?

For example: what difference will there be from now and in the fall? There won't be a vaccine by then. Sorry if I sound like a simpleton.
I think our best hope right now isn't a vaccine but rather an effective treatment that doctors can prescribe and take to help others get better faster. If the drug companies find something safe and effective we might be able to beat this thing back until we get a vaccine. I guess the when is kind of riding on all the trials going on right now and how effective the medication is. Could be months or longer. Who knows. The only thing we can do right now is slow the rate of infection by avoiding "normal".

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Random aside, having rewatched Contagion recently, going to he interesting to see how the CDC and pandemic responses are portrayed in movies after this.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Ugh, just did a scan of the comments on FB for a local news story on this...lots of stupidity surrounding this.

I just had one of the stupid mother fuckers in my store. Heard everything from China released it intentionally, to it's just the flu.

I really wanted to tell him to shut the fuck up, but I actually like my job.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Far right Spanish politic Ortega Smith from VOX who has the virus, travelled to Italy well after the outbreak was known. Supposedly he got it there. When he came back he went to multiple public events. The idiot probably transmitted the virus everywhere. It's like there's not even an ounce of inteligence in far-right members...

Is there denial of it being serious in Spain as well?

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
It's incredibly frustrating to see Levin and right wing monsters pushing the "more are dying from the flu, only 29 have died, the fear is all the media's fault for trying to ruin Trump", then hear my dad parrot that back to my face even as his workplace is getting quarantined because someone was tested positive

Yep, dealing with those dipshits makes me hate life.

I wish I wasn't hamstrung by my job so I could tell them to their face what fucking, stupid pieces of human filth they are.

Actual pieces of shit are more valuable then them.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
We're supposed to go on our family vacation to New Orleans on Friday (traveling via vehicle). It's a 10hr drive and we're only staying 4 nights. Should we bail or plan on going if we restrict our visits to mostly open, outdoor places?

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark has just announced that all schools will shut down for two weeks come Friday, gatherings over 100 people should not happen at all, bars and nightclubs are recommended to shut down for two weeks, all companies with employees that can work from home should have them work from home.

Denmark going into full shutdown.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
The Prof. from university Barcelona, said, if it follows known viruses, the virus will be less aggressive after each transmission, if I remember correctly.

youtu.be

Coronavirus: Myths and Facts [Webinar]

This webinar will address the epidemiological situation of the SARS-CoV2 coronavirus and the current scientific knowledge about it. Live on Thursday, 5 March...

Ho. Well, I shut up, I had never heard about this before...

GK86

Oct 25, 2017

twitter.com

Jim Acosta on Twitter

“Trump tells bankers he will be making a statement later tonight about Coronavirus. He says he will talk about what the country should do to deal with the outbreak.”

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Trump is going to sit up there and completely lie and blame democrats again. My hope is that they make him go full teleprompter but I doubt it. The economic ramifications are probably scaring him more than the people actually dying

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Is there denial of it being serious in Spain as well?

Up until a couple of days there was , but everything is starting to change this week as the cases keep rising and they can't act like nothing anymore. The situation in Madrid is pretty bad and overall we are basically following the same rate of contagions Italy had in the same days.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark has just announced that all schools will shut down for two weeks come Friday, gatherings over 100 people should not happen at all, bars and nightclubs are recommended to shut down for two weeks, all companies with employees that can work from home should have them work from home.

Denmark going into full shutdown.
I'm
Hoping The Netherlands will do the same real soon.

BahamutX83

Mar 13, 2019
Florida
So the more I think about it, the more I feel like that unknown virus I had around Valentines day was coronavirus. I tested negative for flu and strep and had all the symptoms. I'm just now getting back to normal. Doctor said you've got a virus, but that's all I ever got for a diagnosis.

I'm not trying to fear monger, maybe I'm just letting my mind play tricks on me. But seeing that Tuesday chart and how my virus effected others around me is making me admittedly paranoid.

Nov 13, 2017
This sounds corny, but I'm so terribly anxious about people who can't work from home and don't have job security. I'm so fortunate to be able to do my job completely remote – my family too – but the millions of people who can't...I can't even imagine how panic inducing that must be.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
One of my sisters lives in Boulder CO, attends UC Boulder which is going online classes only now. Apparently literally every store in and around Boulder is sold out of things like toilet paper and soap. She's already (supposedly) been out twice shopping for emergency supplies over the last couple weeks, with money we gave her. Apparently didn't think to buy toilet paper.

My family is full of idiots.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
I cant wait for the president to tell us to go about business as usual and then my workplace using that as a reason to deny WFH.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Up until a couple of days there was , but everything is starting to change this week as the cases keep rising and they can't act like nothing anymore. The situation in Madrid is pretty bad and overall we are basically following the same rate of contagions Italy had in the same days.

Yeah I was watching the numbers and spain will probably pass France tomorrow, while it was far away a few days ago.
Seems authorities took too much time to react...

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I've searched the thread and couldn't find it, but I swear it was in here earlier. Has anyone seen a tweet that broke down how many cases of Corona were reported each day in different countries? It was really useful to show how fast this thing is spreading.

Nov 13, 2017
So the more I think about it, the more I feel like that unknown virus I had around Valentines day was coronavirus. I tested negative for flu and strep and had all the symptoms. I'm just now getting back to normal. Doctor said you've got a virus, but that's all I ever got for a diagnosis.

I'm not trying to fear monger, maybe I'm just letting my mind play tricks on me. But seeing that Tuesday chart and how my virus effected others around me is making me admittedly paranoid.
Is there any way to get retroactively checked to see if you had it already?

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Working at a grocery store is like the worst...high rate of infection, folks will panic as if it's a snow scares (with no end at the moment to the panic), people freaking out if I so much as breath wrong.

Luckily I haven't had any crazy days yet but I feel it's coming soon now that it's officially hit Virginia. Glad I live in a fairly small town.