• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe some people don't realize the impact of what's happening in the world.

Everything will get suspended, and I do mean everything, NBA, NCAA, F1, Olympics, everything.

Best case scenario is the season resumes in a few months, worst case the season gets cancelled if the epidemy lasts for more than 2-3 months.

It completely sucks, but this is our reality now.

The american national sports will not cancel or suspend their seasons.

shadowkat

Oct 25, 2017
Oh Italy...

twitter.com

Disclose.tv 🚨 on Twitter

“BREAKING - Italy reports 2,313 new #COVID19 cases and 196 new deaths. Total now 12,462 coronavirus infections, 827 dead. New daily "records" for both new infections and deaths.”

Details

twitter.com

Tancredi Palmeri on Twitter

“BREAKING NEWS: 196 deaths more with #coronavirus in Italy in last day, toll at 827 The age ranging from 50 to 95 years old. Overall average of total is 81 years old. In 85% cases each was already suffering of two previous disease”

Italy :(

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Most of trip insurances wouldn't cover it unless you are actually ill or there's an official ban or you spend a lot of money for 'cancel for any reason' insurance which might not be that much cheaper than the penalty... I'm in the similar boat. It sucks.
I sure hope that's the case, the terms for their insurance mentioned having a doctor's note as a requirement for cancelling fee free.
I got trip insurance for my trip to Ireland in two weeks when I booked it eight months ago and it doesn't cover cancellations for epidemics/pandemics. Only if I'm actually sick when I'm supposed to travel.

Still trying to figure out if we should cancel or not...
I could not be more bummed out about this too, it's seriously fucking me up 😒. We're losing about $600 on the tickets and $260 on the AirBnB. Plus we've been saving for this all year and haven't taken a proper vacation in almost two years. I'm incredibly burned out work wise, thankfully my boss is letting me cancel my PTO request and comp'd me two days next week for Animal Crossing.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
13 cases confirmed here in South Africa as of today, first case in my city (Cape Town) reported today. No deaths so far but I'm really hoping it doesn't get significantly worse than this.

We really do not have the healthcare infrastructure required to handle a pandemic of this size. Hell, most of our communities in this country don't even have access to hospitals or clinics, let alone health insurance (or jobs, for that matter).

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
shit, I have the same thing. how do we know it's not the coronavirus?
It sounds like the earliest indication is cold-like symptoms that transition to a dry cough. The dry cough is something NPR was stressing is fairly unique to COVID19 versus the flu/cold/etc.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Excuse me?????????????? Do you even have a remote idea of how this virus work and the demographic/density/initial spread reasons for why we had it so hard? Everyone is breaking their back over here to contain this fucking thing.

Shut the fuck up, please.

I've been in this thread since the beginning. I never meant to say that they don't care with this. Calm down.

Edit: also of course cutting my comment this way lol. As if they don't need help but you cut this part of course. Aggressive pretty much?

Edit 2: I should've written it differently. It was on no way meant to be taken that way. For that I'm sorry.

Last edited:

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
This is fucking crazy. I don't normally freak out under these circumstances, but this is unlike anything we've seen in our lifetimes.

And what's frustrating is that people like the WHO, and others who stay on top of things like this, have had coronavirus as a leading virus to go pandemic, especially after SARS-COV and MERS.

And naturally, nobody listened.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
57 cases in Slovenia, +23 compared to yesterday. Number will go up in next few days.

First schools are closing down, hospitals are cancelling operations.

Both regional hockey leagues ended early.

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
America being completely trash and a joke in terms of its response and approach to dealing with this virus does not absolve the WHO of any criticism. Notice how I didn't even mention america at all, you are bringing in this viewpoint yourself unprompted. If the WHO had called this a pandemic much earlier on instead of waiting till basically now, then it might have mobilized more of an increased response accross the board in many countries. I understand that they are an organization that basically relies entirely on countries being forthcoming with their details, but in the early days of the virus back in December, they basically went along completely with the CCP party line up until it was clearly not what the CCP was saying and local governors were getting the axe for incompetence.

The WHO has been warning countries since the beginning of the problem. They said China was doing a good job to contain it, like they said Italy was doing a good job at containing it, when those countries went on lock-down, they never said the problem was solved. In fact everyday they reminded all the countries to take this shit more seriously. They have said plenty of times it could reach a pandemic level if no actions are taken, which is exactly what is happening right now.

Edit: Also at the beginning of February they said that Coronavirus poses greater global threat than terrorism, the idea that they downplayed it is completely false.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
this is insane.

in china they didn't have so many deaths in a day.

No other country on the planet can take the measures that China did during the early stages of the outbreak.

Italy is an example of what we can expect in most of the world. Particularly the US, since we clearly do not have our shit together.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Italy situation will destroy their economy and europe economy we can have the worst recession ever. Situation is totally out of control and death rate around 10%

Gabe

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I've been in this thread since the beginning. I never meant to say that they don't care with this. Calm down.

Edit: also of course cutting my comment this way lol. As if they don't need help but you cut this part of course. Aggressive pretty much?

The fact that you have been in this thread since the beginning has evidently ZERO value as to your knowledge of even how this started spreading, where and why it's gone this bad this quick.
Also you compare a country of 60 million people to the measures a country with 8 million or so can take AFTER they saw what happened here.

But that's not even the point.
And if you think saying "they really need help" after your "they shit the bed" would clear you of anything: you're wrong, it almost makes it more smug..
Anyway, i'm not gonna respond further. Just stop.

This, Thank You Gabe!

No problem.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
India closing the door on the world.

twitter.com

Lauren Frayer on Twitter

“Starting Friday, India is essentially banning all foreign tourists, and quarantining anyone who's been to 7 countries worst-affected by coronavirus. India has about 60 cases so far, none of them fatal.”

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
I've been there. That country is tiny and pop too. That number is high
We will see, people are getting a bit twitchy around here and rather stay at home. All our office workers are working from home since yesterday, only we in the steel foundry can go to work.

It's terrifying. I'm from Northern Italy and people go around like nothing. Unbelievable.
And now you know why Austria and Slovenia decided to close borders with Italy.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Scary article on the silencing of Chinese doctors in the early stages of this contagion.

www.scmp.com

Wuhan doctor says officials muzzled her for sharing coronavirus report

Hospital emergency department head Ai Fen tells magazine she sounded the alarm in December. Her interview, suggesting an opportunity to issue an early warning had been missed, was later deleted.

According to the magazine, Ai said she was told by superiors the day she sounded the alarm that Wuhan's health commission had issued a directive that medical workers were not to disclose anything about the virus, or the disease it caused, to avoid sparking a panic. Soon after, the hospital reminded all staff that public disclosure related to the illness was forbidden.

Two days later, an official in charge of the hospital's supervision department gave Ai a dressing down for "spreading rumours" – a reference to the photograph she had posted online.
The official told Ai to notify all staff in her department not to disclose anything about the disease – and to say nothing about it to anyone, not even to her husband, according to the magazine.
"My mind just went blank," Ai said. "He wasn't criticising me for not working hard … he made me feel that I alone had ruined the future of Wuhan. I was in despair."

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
No other country on the planet can take the measures that China did during the early stages of the outbreak.

Italy is an example of what we can expect in most of the world. Particularly the US, since we clearly do not have our shit together.
If only every country had prepared from the beginning of the outbreak in China late January instead of now

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
shit, I have the same thing. how do we know it's not the coronavirus?

well Im not coughing at all and it feels like a specific spot in my throat that has been healing so I doubt it but its freaky for sure. Feels like too many people have a weird sore throat but that could just be confirmation bias

alex.magnus

Oct 28, 2017
here are the full italian numbers:

current total of people currently positive to the virus:

total of people who got back to health:

total number of deceased people:

number of tests performed so far:

grand total of infected people so far (including deceased and people who are now healthy again)

total number of people in ICU:
1028 of which
- 560 in Lombardia
- 104 in Emilia
- 75 in Piemonte
- 68 in Veneto
- 66 in Marche
- 54 in Toscana
- 34 in Liguria

all the other regions have an average of 9ish people, with only Sardegna and Valle d'Aosta with 0 people in ICU

people hospitalized but NOT in ICU
5838 of which
- 3852 in Lombardia
- 745 in Emilia Romagna
- 319 in Piemonte
- 262 in Veneto
- 212 in Marche
every other region is < 100

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that you have been in this thread since the beginning has evidently ZERO value as to your knowledge of even how this started spreading, where and why it's gone this bad this quick.
Also you compare a country of 60 million people to the measures a country with 8 million or so can take AFTER they saw what happened here.

But that's not even the point.
And if you think saying "they really need help" after your "they shit the bed" would clear you of anything: you're wrong, it almost makes it more smug..
Anyway, i'm not gonna respond further. Just stop.

No problem.

Do you have any personal issue with me or what? I have contacts close to the border, I have contacts from northern Italy right now and even had some numbers before they've been on ERA.
I didn't compare Italy to Austria. Maybe you should re-read my post.
I said that people from Austria say that the government is overblowing the issue.
Again, calm down.

Edit: My fault. I started this with bad phrasing.

Last edited:

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
America being completely trash and a joke in terms of its response and approach to dealing with this virus does not absolve the WHO of any criticism. Notice how I didn't even mention america at all, you are bringing in this viewpoint yourself unprompted. If the WHO had called this a pandemic much earlier on instead of waiting till basically now, then it might have mobilized more of an increased response accross the board in many countries. I understand that they are an organization that basically relies entirely on countries being forthcoming with their details, but in the early days of the virus back in December, they basically went along completely with the CCP party line up until it was clearly not what the CCP was saying and local governors were getting the axe for incompetence.
Exactly the WHO had an absolutely embarrassing response and needs to be looked at. The Trump response does not absolve the WHO or other countries for their equally bad responses

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw Canada Trudeau inject 1 billion to fight Corona Virus.... can you just close border for a couple of weeks ? should be the first thing to do.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
It's terrifying. I'm from Northern Italy and people go around like nothing. Unbelievable.
For that reason I say that all non-essential works must be stopped, as soon as possible, at least in Northern Italy, if not in all of Italy.
Too many people here are understimating the situation: they go to work, they have lunch at the restaurant, they go to park. This way, the virus won't stop at all.

ZedLilIndPum

Oct 27, 2017
Fundamentally, people's "gut instinct" can't grasp exponential growth. The only way this can be handled is to "overreact"; by the time the response seems proportionate, it's too late . I fear the US institutions just aren't up to the task. It's very sobering to think the US will probably look like Italy before April.