• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
That Depends where you are I guess. I think in the United States we are in this dark zone and we don't really know real numbers or where it really is. I would be cautious either way and avoid it.

Do whatever you can at home to keep fit.
Where do you live?

It's probably not worth it.
I live in CT about an hour from NYC.

From the replies, staying away from the gym seems like the responsible thing to do right now.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many times Trump has asked why we can't just firebomb COVID-19 like we did the Motaba virus?

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
I am getting increasingly worried about A) my upcoming wedding and B) our planned honeymoon (which is already paid for). We have tickets to goto Anaheim, goto Disneyland and the beach. I am starting to really think that we need to cancel or it is going to get cancelled by Disneyland soon. I have no doubt they will refund us, but the plane tickets, hotels, etc I am getting more worried about. Any ideas on what to do?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
The problem with all of us waiting for a local case before we start isolating is, some of us will be that case. We'll get the ball rolling for our friends and neighbours.

Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck is wrong with

At this point these people need to be held legally liable if they spread the virus.
I was actually wondering about this. Couldn't a person in theory sue another person for giving them the coronavirus in the U.S. Since we like to pretend healthcare is a private matter rather than a public one. What is stopping someone for suing other people for getting them sick? Just shows how completely fucking stupid the U.S. healthcare system is.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Bare minimum the ban on large gatherings here in WA should be statewide. That is what proactive means, you don't wait for things to get bad in those areas before you take action.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My office just had us cancel the convention we were going to attend this weekend and we're supposed to exercise "extreme judgement" for any social events we attend both professionally and personally until further notice.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
University of Washington Medical is imposing new visitation rules for patients at UWMC, Harborview, Valley Medical, etc. Looks like my wife will be able to be there and stay with me, but that's it. One visitor per patient.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
More Canadian news. Laurentian University has suspended all classes immediately. Switching to online. The university is located near Sudbury, Ontario.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Should I avoid going to the gym?
hmmm i see both sides of this of yes and no.

i've been going for the past few weeks and the staff have been more diligent cleaning down stations when no one is using that station. because, face it, a LOT of people dont clean the station after they use it. With that in mind, you should always have been wiping Before and After using equipment. should have been a normal habit if worried about catching colds/flu. so i think if you do this now, then you're already keeping yourself away from germs as such.

if you never have and your gym is really busy, dont go. your mind will be too distracted and your gym time will be wasted.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell happened in Qatar? Case total just jumped from 24 to 262, that's not a typo, 238 new cases

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Why is The SHRM conference in San Diego not cancelled for June. Ridiculous.

thousands of people all gathered together in a hotel no fkn thank you. Ridiculous.

Tanston

Nov 29, 2017
My office seems to have adopted the "lets wait for the first person to get sick and it's too late" approach to work from home. We are extremely well equipped for remote work and our industry is very well suited to work from home. Why we are putting peoples lives at risk so we can still have in person meetings instead of webex meetings is beyond me.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
What the hell happened in Qatar? Case total just jumped from 24 to 262, that's not a typo, 238 new cases

More tests yield more results? You really have to compare it to how many tests were done to get an accurate picture.

Like, I'm convinced it's much more prevalent in the US than the numbers currently show, and it isn't some stupid conspiracy of the Idiot Administration to keep numbers low to look good. It's just that they are so incompetent in terms of being ready to handle any of this that we don't have the testing capacity actually needed.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Cleveland, OH here; the St. Patricks Day Parade has been cancelled today, and I heard through the grapevine that University Hospitals, one of NE Ohio's largest hospital system, is suspending any events for the next 90 days.

I think thats probably the most shocking news as in my head i was kind of thinking, oh this might all blow over in a month or so, but...i mean, I don't know how long we're looking at here.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Should I avoid going to the gym?
Who knows. I'm still going but am diligently washing my hands and avoiding touching my face. I bought a yoga mat so I can start working out at home, however. Considering switching over next week if things keep getting worse.

My office seems to have adopted the "lets wait for the first person to get sick and it's too late" approach to work from home. We are extremely well equipped for remote work and our industry is very well suited to work from home. Why we are putting peoples lives at risk so we can still have in person meetings instead of webex meetings is beyond me.
My partner's office is doing the same thing and it's infuriating. They all have laptops and they all can work from home...but they aren't.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going home as soon as my school officially moves classes online, but they're still dragging their feet despite a case in the county

Problem is that home is close to Tampa, and March Madness/Wrestlemania are still planned.

Feels like I'm kinda just fucked either way

lampshade

Oct 25, 2017
Wondering when we will cancel school here. 9 cases in the county over and I've sent two kids home with a temperature today. We were told to prepare two weeks of work just in case.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
newsroom.uw.edu

UW Medicine limits hospital visitors for patients' safety - UW Medicine | Newsroom

With the coronavirus outbreak, hospitals must take additional precautions, says healthcare system's president.

Starting Wednesday, March 11, all UW Medicine hospitals – UW Medical Center (Montlake and Northwest campuses), Harborview Medical Center, and Valley Medical Center – will suspend routine patient visits. The new policy will be in place until the transmission of the novel coronavirus, COVID-19, is no longer perceived as a threat to patients, staff and community.

The decision to restrict visitors was made after careful consideration of policies recently put in place at area schools, houses of worship and other venues to prevent the spread of COVID-19, said Lisa Brandenburg, president of UW Medicine hospitals and clinics.

"This is a difficult decision. It's not an easy decision to make, but it is critically important that we keep our patients safe during this outbreak," she said. [See downloadable soundbites below.]

The policy includes exceptions, however, in which visitors will be allowed. Please note that all visitors will be screened, and no visitor will be allowed if they have symptoms of respiratory infection (fever, runny nose, cough, shortness of breath). Additionally, children under age 16 will not be allowed except under extraordinary circumstances.

Exceptions include:

• Obstetric patients may have one partner and one birth support person accompany them.
  • Nursery and Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) patients may have one birth parent plus one significant other who must remain in the room for the duration of the visit.
  • Patients who are at the end-of-life may have two visitors.
  • Patients with disruptive behavior, in which a family member is key to their care, may have one visitor.
  • Patients who have altered mental status or developmental delays (where caregiver provides safety) may have one visitor.
  • Minors under age 18 may have one visitor, parent, or guardian.
  • Patients undergoing surgery or procedures may have 1 visitor who must leave the hospital as soon as possible after the procedure/surgery.
  • Patients who have an appointment at a UW Medicine hospital-based clinic, laboratory, or radiology, as well as those visiting the Emergency Department, may have one person with them.
  • Patients who are receiving lodging services as part of their medical treatment plan are excluded from the visitor restriction policy.
No visitors will be allowed for patients who have a pending or positive COVID-19 test. Visitors allowed must stay in the patients room the entire time of the visit. Once the visitor leaves the patient room, they must leave the medical center.

I knew this was coming, but fuuuuck.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think thats probably the most shocking news as in my head i was kind of thinking, oh this might all blow over in a month or so, but...i mean, I don't know how long we're looking at here.

One of the key factors here is how variable of an incubation time it has, and how long people are actually contagious even if they're asymptomatic.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
More tests yield more results? You really have to compare it to how many tests were done to get an accurate picture.

Like, I'm convinced it's much more prevalent in the US than the numbers currently show, and it isn't some stupid conspiracy of the Idiot Administration to keep numbers low to look good. It's just that they are so incompetent in terms of being ready to handle any of this that we don't have the testing capacity actually needed.
Yeah US testing needs to be a lot higher than it currently is.

Tanston

Nov 29, 2017
Any thoughts on cancelling a non critical dentist visit to get a filling? I'm leaning towards cancelling but I hate the dentist and hope it's not my aversion to needles in the mouth that has me leaning that way. The world is weird now.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
My mother in-law is a huge germophobe and has a cache of hand sanitizer, she sent us a care package yesterday. In the meantime we were able to snag some pocket-bac from bath and body works but it has glitter in it. Better than nothing though!

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Any thoughts on cancelling a non critical dentist visit to get a filling? I'm leaning towards cancelling but I hate the dentist and hope it's not my aversion to needles in the mouth that has me leaning that way. The world is weird now.

I think a dentist visit isn't a huge deal. Solo or small meetings in controlled environments, in my opinion, are not worth avoiding yet.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Tests are not new cases, they are discovered cases, and every time a new case is discovered, you should imagine that one new person has been in contact with at least one other person, who is yet to be discovered.

And that person is interacting with at least one more, until they are discovered. And so on, and so on, and so on.

And some people get symptoms so mild they can interact with people for the full 14 days as an incubator. And never become a statistic. Until the people they infected become a discovered cases, but now it is impossible to source back to an origin.

This is already a huge mess everywhere :(

Doogdogg

Oct 27, 2017
go get your teeth filled. Don't want a toothache in the middle of a crises when your office is closed down.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Tests are not new cases, they are discovered cases, and every time a new case is discovered, you should imagine that one new person has been in contact with at least one other person, who is yet to be discovered.

And that person is interacting with at least one more, until they are discovered. And so on, and so on, and so on.

And some people get symptoms so mild they can interact with people for the full 14 days as an incubator. And never become a statistic. Until the people they infected become a discovered cases, but now it is impossible to source back to an origin.

This is already a huge mess everywhere :(
So is it possible to just go about your day for 14 days as a carrier and show no symptoms whatsoever? Genuinely curious if somebody could contract it, stroll around like normal, and then be done with it while infected many people.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017

I would go unless you are in an area with a lot of cases. If you avoid it nowyou may later regret it if it starts to hurt. I hate the dentist too and I would go.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I'd get that sorted out ASAP. In a few weeks you might have appalling toothache and the dentist will be a far greater risk by then.

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
WHO officially declare it a pandemic

The daily World Health Organization briefing has just begun.

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the WHO director-general, says there are now more than 118,000 cases in 114 countries, and 4,291 people have lost their lives.

He says it has reached the stage where it can be described as a pandemic.

The WHO director-general said:

Pandemic is not a word to use lightly or carelessly. It is a word that, if misused, can cause unreasonable fear, or unjustified acceptance that the fight is over, leading to unnecessary suffering and death.
Describing the situation as a pandemic does not change WHO's assessment of the threat posed by this coronavirus. It doesn't change what WHO is doing, and it doesn't change what countries should do
www.theguardian.com

El Salvador bans mass gatherings as virus spreads – as it happened

President takes action as World Health Organization chief says number of cases reported and number of countries affected ‘doesn’t tell full story’. This blog is closed

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
To the three of you that responded to me ... I'm not sure if that makes me feel any better or any worse.

Edit: I'd like to see my parents again ... but being a potential phantom carrier is a horrible thing to reconcile with mentally. Maybe we'll be at a point where testing is readily available globally?