• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
New health advisitory from Dr. Villa, Medical Officer of Toronto Health.

www.toronto.ca

News Releases & Other Resources

News Release March 14, 2024 Residents are encouraged to enjoy the last stretch of outdoor winter skating before ice rinks close for the season. As a result of warmer temperatures, the City of Toronto is planning to close the remaining outdoor artificial ice rinks and skating trails in...

Click on the one for March 11th.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
Kind of weird that we haven't really gotten much in the way of new U.S. numbers yet for the day. It's only 11:30 EST, but I would have expected to hear more. Maybe I'm visiting the wrong websites.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
Today Italy will see a terrifying increase in new cases. There are two reasons:
1. The contagion in northern Italy is still going by exponential numbers and we'll have to wait at least 5-6 days to see the effects of the lockdown.
2. Yesterday's numbers were not correct. Some hospitals in Lombardia didn't upload the complete data, probably due to the incredibile amount of work. The numbers have been uploaded today.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
In one year, Trump could have the blood of 100,000+ people on his hands, and still boast "all is okay"

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder when/if he will stop doing this embarrassing song and dance. When the US is at 10,000 cases next week? 100,000 in 2-3 weeks? There isn't a modicum of evidence that Trump's team is even doing an O.K. job, let alone a great one.

I looked at the USA case figures. They and Spain currently have the fastest exponential rise of any developed nation, and the USA has the best statistical fit to an exponential rise. They're 10 days away from Italian numbers unless they start to act. It's probably going to be slower because I suspect the US rise is being amplified by increases in the US testing capacity as states and universities seem to be rolling out their own tests instead of relying on the federal government.

Italy was very bad until yestersday, but saw a dramatic drop in it's new cases (I fucked up some data inputs in my last post and missed the drop in Italy). I really hope this is the beginning of a recovery for Italy.
EDIT: but it sounds like it's an issue with testing and not a real recovery.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I looked at the USA case figures. They and Spain currently have the fastest exponential rise of any developed nation, and the USA has the best statistical fit to an exponential rise. They're 10 days away from Italian numbers unless they start to act. It's probably going to be slower because I suspect the US rise is being amplified by increases in the US testing capacity as states and universities seem to be rolling out their own tests instead of relying on the federal government.

Italy was very bad until yestersday, but saw a dramatic drop in it's new cases (I fucked up some data inputs in my last post and missed the drop in Italy). I really hope this is the beginning of a recovery for Italy.

US is also complicated by its size and state laws.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I thought about it this morning, not that it's important, but the Euro 2020 is going to be cancelled no? Since it was meant to be played in several cities.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
I thought about it this morning, not that it's important, but the Euro 2020 is going to be cancelled no? Since it was meant to be played in several cities.

It's supposed to start in two months with opening match being hosted in Rome. Some of the matches are also scheduled for Bilbao, Amsterdam, Copenhagen. While UEFA claimed as recently as yesterday that no changes are planned I can't see it happening.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Confirmed COVID-19 (6)

• Fulton County 3
  • Floyd County 1
  • Polk County 1
  • Cobb 1

Presumptive Positive COVID-19 (16)

• Fulton 3
  • Cobb 6
  • Fayette 1
  • DeKalb 2
  • Gwinnett 2
  • Cherokee 1
  • Charlton 1
Source
At least it seems Georgia doesn't have it nearly as bad as other states yet, but it's foolish to assume this won't get worse within the next couple days.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this is the thing that will finally do him in. It's gonna disproportionately hurt his base (Red States with subpar health departments and 60+ voters)

I know my in-laws who are diehard Trump supporters even think he's wrong about this so that's pretty telling as that's a first for them

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
Did Trump say there was an emergency meeting just to obstruct Congress from talking with senior health officials?

www.reuters.com

White House says there is no emergency meeting on coronavirus

The White House on Wednesday said it was not holding an emergency coronavirus meeting after a House panel chairwoman said she had to cut short a related hearing because two top U.S. health officials had been unexpectedly called to the White House.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
I wonder if this is the thing that will finally do him in. It's gonna disproportionately hurt his base (Red States with subpar health departments and 60+ voters)
I think his base will just turn to "it would've been even worse if we didn't have a genius like Trump leading us!" no matter how bad it gets.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
I am hoping to see more aggressive, proactive measures here. The federal government will not protect us, we must rely on the state to make the hard choices.
ESPN reporting that the governor is going to ban all large gatherings around Seattle

www.espn.com

Gov. bans gatherings of more than 250 in Seattle

The Seattle Dragons' home game against the Los Angeles Wildcats on Sunday at CenturyLink Field will be played without fans in the venue.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Should I avoid going to the gym?
If you can help it, I would say it's a good idea to avoid the gym right now yes, especially if you live in a city and doubly so if you live in a city with confirmed cases.

If you still decide to go, be sure to sanitize equipment before and after you use it and avoid touching your face to the best of your ability, which of course is kind of difficult when you're sweating at the gym.

Your call chief.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
ESPN reporting that the governor is going to ban all large gatherings around Seattle

www.espn.com

Gov. bans gatherings of more than 250 in Seattle

The Seattle Dragons' home game against the Los Angeles Wildcats on Sunday at CenturyLink Field will be played without fans in the venue.

Yeah that was the word going around yesterday. I'm just wondering what the word will be for workplaces and schools. Reports mention that those will also be on the agenda.

Oct 25, 2017
Did Trump say there was an emergency meeting just to obstruct Congress from talking with senior health officials?

www.reuters.com

The White House on Wednesday said it was not holding an emergency coronavirus meeting after a House panel chairwoman said she had to cut short a related hearing because two top U.S. health officials had been unexpectedly called to the White House.

Absolutely, you know he was watching TV (because that is all he does in any given day) and didn't like what he was seeing

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017

www.reuters.com

That was the first thing I thought of when I heard about it.

navanman

Oct 27, 2017
Dublin
No way it can go ahead.
Instead of a centralised tournament, it's split between nearly every European capital city.
Absolutely worst case scenario when trying to contain this outbreak.

RIP to the first Irish death. Unfortunately not the last.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Granted my family is on self-imposed isolation due to recommendation from my cardiology team, but my wife has stopped going to yoga and the gym and just working out at home until I'm home and recovering from my surgery. It helps that we have an elliptical in the garage that I use for working out so she can just use that along with yoga videos.

Our daughter is still going to school, we have her strip down and take a shower when she gets home for the day.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Should I avoid going to the gym?
I'm having a hard time on this. For the first time in years I've finally had a good regiment going for the past several months. My gym is obscenely sanitary compared to most (staff constantly going around sanitizing, on top of members being outstanding about cleaning their machines) so I'm not per say worried about it, but I know it's inevitable I'll have to stop when local cases are official.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Did anything ever come out of PAX East? I always get sick there. Kinda glad I was skiing in Vermont this year.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'm having a hard time on this. For the first time in years I've finally had a good regiment going for the past several months. My gym is obscenely sanitary compared to most (staff constantly going around sanitizing, on top of members being outstanding about cleaning their machines) so I'm not per say worried about it, but I know it's inevitable I'll have to stop when local cases are official.

Honestly I'd follow the guidance of local officials (unless they are trumpian idiots)

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
i wonder if the fursuits would help control the spread

but i guess not everyone has a fursuit, and people probably still also hang out outside of costume
Wouldn't fursuits serve to concentrate the virus? Since fursuiters have to breathe through the mouth of the fursuit head?

edit - and no one is washing their fursuit during the con