• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deaf Spacker

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
A friend of mine is self-isolating. He's an electrician and was working on a loft conversion with 3 other people. The guy they were doing the work for was always there giving them grief etc. At the end of the job they found out he'd been told to self-isolate days before but didn't tell them because he wanted the work finished. This is why it will keep spreading.

Man I'd have fucking punched him.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I work for the biggest employer in the county and there's not been any hand sanitiser made available anywhere, it's a big office block full of people, my pregnant wife works for the NHS and thankfully there is hand sanitiser available where her office is.

The way that different companies/employers are handling this is frustrating as hell.
Just talking with a delivery driver, he does about 60 drops a day. I declined scribbling on his device and he did it for me. Said he goes to all kind of places such as schools, hospitals, all kinds of businesses, as well as private addresses like mine. His employer has no hand sanitiser to offer while they are out and about as there's not to be had, they have given their staff anti-bacterial wipes to clean their pdas with. :/

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: I messed up my Italian numbers by using active cases instead of total cases in some of the figures
The European case numbers from yesterday are mixed. Italy, UK and Germany have lower than expected, while France is right on the exponential growth trend (seriously, my job involves determining exponential half-lives in the environment and I never get fits that look as accurate as Italy's trend before yesterday).
An exponential model predicts 12,500 cases in Italy by the end of the day. The fit of past cases is scarily accurate. I hope that the lockdowns will start to kill this trend, and the full national lockdown on Monday should really start to have an impact within a week (assuming a 5 day incubation and a 2 day test delay).

Outside of Italy, the numbers haven't been high enough for long enough to be confident in any trend. Variations in daily new cases could be due to the targeted testing getting "lucky/unlucky" and finding a cluster of cases. They probably don't reflect the underlying current infection number. I wouldn't be surprised if we get the "Dorries cluster" causing a big rise in UK cases over the next few days.

Remember I am not an epidemiologist or virologist, so this is all speculation.

The Nadine Dorries case is bad news, whatever you think of her as a person. If we get serious illness in high-level government, it could cause panic. And if we get no spread or mild symptoms only, it will cause people to get complacent, especially if arrogant twats like Boris start boasting about "surviving the Coronavirus" as if he had returned from the beaches of Dunkirk. I'd love to think that a disease spreading to high-level government would make them take it seriously, but this is the fucking Tory party, so you know they'll manage to over-react, under-react and inappropriately-react, all at the same time.

Dorries is also one of the more insane Brexiteer Tories ("the Irish border problem doesn't exist and was invented by remainers"), so I'm not surprised she decided to hold a surgery despite having disease symptoms. Having her locked away from any decision making for a couple of weeks is probably a good thing. I hope her mum will be alright though.

Last edited:

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
3,000 Atletico fans being allowed to travel from Madrid to Liverpool for a football match strikes me as spectacularly poor management by authorities.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
The European case numbers from yesterday are mixed. UK and Germany have lower than expected, while France and Italy are right on the exponential growth trend (seriously, my job involves determining exponential half-lives in the environment and I never get fits that look as accurate as Italy's trend).
An exponential model predicts 12,500 cases in Italy by the end of the day. The fit of past cases is scarily accurate. I hope that the lockdowns will start to kill this trend, and the full national lockdown on Monday should really start to have an impact within a week (assuming a 5 day incubation and a 2 day test delay).

Outside of Italy, the numbers haven't been high enough for long enough to be confident in any trend. Variations in daily new cases could be due to the targeted testing getting "lucky/unlucky" and finding a cluster of cases. They probably don't reflect the underlying current infection number. I wouldn't be surprised if we get the "Dorries cluster" causing a big rise in UK cases over the next few days.

Remember I am not an epidemiologist or virologist, so this is all speculation.

The Nadine Dorries case is bad news, whatever you think of her as a person. If we get serious illness in high-level government, it could cause panic. And if we get no spread or mild symptoms only, it will cause people to get complacent, especially if arrogant twats like Boris start boasting about "surviving the Coronavirus" as if he had returned from the beaches of Dunkirk. I'd love to think that a disease spreading to high-level government would make them take it seriously, but this is the fucking Tory party, so you know they'll manage to over-react, under-react and inappropriately-react, all at the same time.

Dorries is also one of the more insane Brexiteer Tories ("the Irish border problem doesn't exist and was invented by remainers"), so I'm not surprised she decided to hold a surgery despite having disease symptoms. Having her locked away from any decision making for a couple of weeks is probably a good thing. I hope her mum will be alright though.

Italies numbers declined from 1.8 Thousand, to 977. So it looked like it declined a bit, or am i wrong?

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
The European case numbers from yesterday are mixed. UK and Germany have lower than expected, while France and Italy are right on the exponential growth trend (seriously, my job involves determining exponential half-lives in the environment and I never get fits that look as accurate as Italy's trend).

Any idea what their capacity is for testing? With that kind of growth, it doesn't seem like it'd be too long before that and the practicality or usefulness of testing would cap the numbers if the rate of spread continued.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Italies numbers declined from 1.8 Thousand, to 977. So it looked like it declined a bit, or am i wrong?
Unfortunately, yesterday the results of several tests in Lombardia were not avilable yet when those numbers (+977) were announced in the press conference at 6 PM CET.
Consequently, today I expect those numbers to be added to the daily ones - and there is the possibility that today's increment could be the highest ever (unless today's results are late too).

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
3,000 Atletico fans being allowed to travel from Madrid to Liverpool for a football match strikes me as spectacularly poor management by authorities.
It's a nonsense that there's a lack of uniformity between countries and governing bodies. How can it be that there's cases where a team has to play behind closed doors domestically, but fans are free to travel internationally and participate abroad?

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User banned (3 days): ignoring staff post, fearmongering
I just realized. I'm sure there is no relation, but remember all the drama about vaping late last year? Strange coincidence.

They suffered from respiratory symptoms, including coughing, shortness of breath, chest pain, and difficulty breathing. Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, abdominal pain, fever, and weight loss were also common symptoms.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Despite there only being 25 confirmed cases at the moment polish government already went fully on containing the spread - all schools, cinemas, museums had been closed for 2 weeks and mass gatherings (1000+) had been banned indefinitely.

I think that may be the first time I admire someting our current government did, this is a surprisingly swift reaction.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

If you're using the number from Robert-Koch-Institut for Germany consider those are currently not entirely accurate as they said they change the way they collect the numbers from the different states.
Robert Koch Institut lists 484 cases from NRW on their website yesterday evening while the health ministry of NRW just reported 687.

Worldometer lists 1565 for whole Germany compared to 1296 from RKI (but I'm not sure how accurate those are).

jBuxx

Oct 28, 2017
Warwick, UK
My neighbours returned from Florence a couple days ago (I'm in the UK)... In a text to my wife, the mother of the family said "I bet we'll have to bloody self-isolate now" and moaned of how she couldn't stand being indoors for two weeks with her husband and son...
I got home from work yesterday, and noticed that the position of the cars on their driveway was different to how it had been in the morning. Upon speaking to my wife I was told that both of them had been to work that day, and the dad had taken their son to school.
Lo and behold, off he went again this morning with their son in the car.
I mean, sure *hopefully* they won't be infected, but the sheer selfish, pig-headedness of these 'supposedly responsible' people is infuriating and worrying.
There doesn't even seem to be a way to report them...

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Spain basically fucked?
They have less cases in a whole in regards to Germany and France, but had a lot more new cases? They didn't take this virus serious at all and probably starting Fallas in Valencia and continuing with celebrations and events in the whole country didn't help it, even if they canceled things now. It probably has done its harm, no?

Edit:
Germany reported 341 new cases, no deaths. Total = 1565, 2 deaths.

France is 372 new cases, 3 deaths. Total = 1784, 33 deaths.

Spain is 464 new cases, 6 deaths. Total = 1695, 36 deaths.

Found the post. So Germany has less cases alright, but just because of yesterday. But with Spain having a higher increase and less total cases than France, shouldn't this be alarming on an exponential view? Especially since Spain didn't care at all to limit some stuff? For me this isn't a good view at all tbh.

Last edited:

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Alright, my place of work is closed to tourists now.
Really curious if they'll find something for us to do, or if we'll just get to stay home for some days to weeks.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017

Note this is over a stretched out period of time.

But still 50-65million infected in such a old society as germany.

Deleted member 36105

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Isn't Spain basically fucked?
They have less cases in a whole in regards to Germany and France, but had a lot more new cases? They didn't take this virus serious at all and probably starting Fallas in Valencia and continuing with celebrations and events in the whole country didn't help it, even if they canceled things now. It probably has done its harm, no?

Fallas is cancelled. Events and gatherings have been severely restricted, and this week has been the tipping point in Spain where drastic measures have started to become a reality.

The issue was not taken seriously, with the usual "it's just a flu" and the people worried about it during february being seen as paranoids. The authorities were too scared of the economical and political effects if they started cancelling events. Until they realised that the public healthcare system won't be able to cope with such growing numbers, they did not start taking serious measures.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
Just talking with a delivery driver, he does about 60 drops a day. I declined scribbling on his device and he did it for me. Said he goes to all kind of places such as schools, hospitals, all kinds of businesses, as well as private addresses like mine. His employer has no hand sanitiser to offer while they are out and about as there's not to be had, they have given their staff anti-bacterial wipes to clean their pdas with. :/
This is EXACTLY my situation, at least they gave that driver anti-bacterial wipes, they haven't given us anything. The most we've received from management is "be safe". 🤦🏽‍♂️

Aya

My neighbours returned from Florence a couple days ago (I'm in the UK)... In a text to my wife, the mother of the family said "I bet we'll have to bloody self-isolate now" and moaned of how she couldn't stand being indoors for two weeks with her husband and son...
I got home from work yesterday, and noticed that the position of the cars on their driveway was different to how it had been in the morning. Upon speaking to my wife I was told that both of them had been to work that day, and the dad had taken their son to school.
Lo and behold, off he went again this morning with their son in the car.
I mean, sure *hopefully* they won't be infected, but the sheer selfish, pig-headedness of these 'supposedly responsible' people is infuriating and worrying.
There doesn't even seem to be a way to report them...

Isn't isolation mandatory for such cases in the UK?

AdamE

3D Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Anyone from Japan here? I'm convinced they're under reporting cases here by a massive amount. Tokyo hasn't even hit 100 yet. That's total bullshit, surely?

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Too many places are reactive instead of proactive. My workplace plans to remain open until someone is sick. At that point multiple people will have been infected.

It feels like proactive measures are being treated as hysterical, when in truth they're going to prevent a crisis. Being proactive is how you protect against hysteria. If you wait until infections already exist, you've ensured the virus will spread.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fallas is cancelled. The issue was not taken seriously, with the usual "it's just a flu" and the people worried about it during february being seen as paranoids. The authorities were too scared of the economical and political effects if they started cancelling events. Until they realised that the public healthcare system won't be able to cope with such growing numbers, they did not start taking serious measures.

I know it's cancelled. I wrote it the sentence after. But it probably curved the infections already that we might see in the coming days. Spain didn't care at all. And yes you're right, it will get bad for their healthcare system. Just from those numbers yesterday, it will get a lot worse than France or Germany.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone from Japan here? I'm convinced they're under reporting cases here by a massive amount. Tokyo hasn't even hit 100 yet. That's total bullshit, surely?
I'm in Tokyo.
It's pretty much business as usual here, aside from everyone buying toilet roll. In the news they are mostly focusing on the cases in Osaka.

My office has been closed since the beginning of the month but is set to reopen again next Tuesday. There was was an advisory for most places to close/work from home at the beginning of the month so I do wonder if there's gonna be a spike in cases when most people go back to work next week.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
have there been stats on how many people have died from flu in the time that corona has spread?

My dad keeps hammering that "more people die from the flu, so corona is being overblown" Fox News drum, so wondering if there were actual stats available contrasting the two.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
Tell them viruses aren't bacteries...
Dude, I live in Puerto Rico, the island where a cruise ship with 2 passengers from Italy that showed symptoms of coronavirus was not only allowed to dock and 98%of the passengers disembark and spend an afternoon in Old San Juan, but also had the Tourism Secretary go INTO the ship and to present them with a recognition. Yeah, we're fucked.

Deleted member 36105

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Spain didn't care at all.
The Spanish government and authorities, or the people? Probably both. Except for a few friends, everyone was like "It won't be that bad, the press is overblowing it, it's a false crisis" and I was seen like an alarmist for telling people the shit was going to hit the fan and that we needed to prepare. I even told them that they had put the wrong symptoms on the first warning email they sent to the staff.

I was even told to not put posters with warnings and prevention tips because I was going to cause a panic. Now every wall is covered with them.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
have there been stats on how many people have died from flu in the time that corona has spread?

My dad keeps hammering that "more people die from the flu, so corona is being overblown" Fox News drum, so wondering if there were actual stats available contrasting the two.

The pandemic is still in early stages in most countries so a global comparison isn't really meaningful yet.
But in Italy 240 flu deaths were reported this season from October to January (so around 4 months). Just in the last three days alone Italy reported 398 corona deaths.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Spanish government and authorities, or the people? Probably both. Except for a few friends, everyone was like "It won't be that bad, the press is overblowing it, it's a false crisis" and I was seen like an alarmist for telling people the shit was going to hit the fan and that we needed to prepare. I even told them that they had put the wrong symptoms on the first warning email they sent to the staff.

I was even told to not put posters with warnings and prevention tips because I was going to cause a panic. Now every wall is covered with them.

I mean I don't want to point fingers, but it was probably a good combination of both yes :/
In my spanish WhatsApp group from the University it was also taken super slightly without any preparation of what's to come. In the meanwhile other countries already decided to lock down universities and cancel events that are too big. Damn, not looking too hot now :/

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It feels like proactive measures are being treated as hysterical, when in truth they're going to prevent a crisis. Being proactive is how you protect against hysteria.

Turns out we never actually left high school, where the appearance of things, fitting in, and generally being "cool" are more important than rational, preventative actions.

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland is no longer testing anyone under 65 years old or in an "at risk" group. So expect our numbers here to stop exploding but don't think anything is under control. All about optics.

We pay insanely high insurance prices and lots of people are quite annoyed at being told to self isolate and self medicate with no support of medical professionals.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
So Austria closed the border with Italy for cars, but now there are plenty of people who just cross the border on foot and continue with a taxi and/or a train from there. So what's the point?

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
SOOOOOOOOO happy and relieved about this. I, for the first year in ages, really wanted to enjoy them because they'd be my son's first but, yeah, the situation in Valencia would've gotten 10 times worse had they gone through with it.

Yeah, its good that they were cancelled. But they should have cancelled them 10 days ago. They have done more economic damage (and who knows if we have more infected thanks to the mascletas this past few days) for beig wishy washy, than they would have been if they would have been strict for the start.
Sad part is, even postponing them thos will be a huge blow to the festivity's future. Lots of artistas falleros are pending from a string most of the time and they need the money from the contracts from not only fallas but also the hogueras of alicante, and this year by year basis (yo can learn a lot of this from the fallero forums aroubd the internet). Even if postponed until summer, the falla has to stay inside the workshop, which means they dont have enough space to start with the hoguera for san juan. It also means they cant really start planning for next year's falla. Some people on this forums are already asking that the city hall shuld give artistas falleros a free rent during this months to get new warehouse to put the 2020 fallas inside until the postponed date.
I really think that would help soften the blow and not make a lot of them go under which would impact the future of the festivity. They should also pay for the movement companies that put the big ones on the streets, as that is really expensive for the artista fallero.

I hope your son can experience fallas again in a big way in the future. How old is he btw? In my experience the best age to start and enjoy it the most is at 6.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
I want to ring the necks (from afar) of everyone on public transit that's still openly coughing without covering their mouths. Fucking hell!

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Turns out we never actually left high school, where the appearance of things, fitting in, and generally being "cool" are more important than rational, preventative actions.
It's a simplification, but I've started asking "if you're in a car accident, do you prefer putting your seatbelt on before or after the collision?"

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Work at Tokyo. Job allowed us to WFH starting this week. The numbers are definitely bullshit. They're only testing people who were near confirmed patients or in affected countries.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
We asked all our employees (software development consultancy) to start working from home today and in the coming weeks (Norway/Poland with a dozen in each office). All client meetings will be done in video or postponed. Our parent-company (which we share building with) is also closing down the cantina for the foreseeable future. They are not sending people abroad/through-airports anymore unless absolutely business critical. And people returning from abroad now are required to work from home for two weeks before returning to office (my brother in law will have to go through this once he returns from Aberdeen tomorrow).

My wife works at the cantina at the local theatre/public library and they are cancelling all their events for the next weeks and likely she will be asked to close the cantina as well sometime today. So we're both going to be home for the next few weeks. /Norway

Last edited:

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
We asked all our employees (software development consultancy) to start working from home today and in the coming weeks (Norway/Poland). All client meetings will be done in video or postponed. Our parent-company is also closing down the cantina for the foreseeable future.
I don't get why our company don't do the same. We're several hundreds here and only work through email.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
So Austria closed the border with Italy for cars, but now there are plenty of people who just cross the border on foot and continue with a taxi and/or a train from there. So what's the point?
Probably still slows down stuff...
I'm just glad that the Bundesmuseen are finally closed. Having places where loads of tourists gather is just not a great idea ATM.

Zevenberge

Oct 27, 2017
I'm quite shocked that our company does not apply measures other than replacing the linen towel with paper towels and putting three extra soap dispensers. We're a small company in Utrecht area, Netherlands, with around 30 in-house employees. Half of them need to commute in densely packed trains for like over an hour from all over the country. At one point, it's going to be irresponsible to keep forcing everyone to come to the office. Working from home is possible, but a hassle. The extra safety is well worth the hassle though.

Itsuki

Oct 26, 2017
Im currently living in Japan. I feel that the non-japanese media isn't reporting new cases, for example the other day a postman from Nagoya Sagawa branch office and a worker from a supermarket in Nakano, Tokyo, got infected and I haven't seen that in the international newspapers I tend to read everyday. There has been 40 new cases today.
I also think that the government is hiding the real numbers because of the Olympics. There is no way that we haven't had that many cases compared to South Korea or Italy for example in a country where there's a lot of people in tiny spaces.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It won't be humans killing each other that ends the world, it will be our stupidity of "won't affect me" when a virus wipes us all out in the future.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
These responses are good evidence for why my posts about infection trends should be taken with a big pinch of salt:
EDIT: Fuck, my Italian numbers are fucked because they changed the headline figure from total cases to active cases, plus I messed up some timestamps and had a mix of noon and 6pm updates in the early timepoints.
Yesterday's number showed sharp drop in new cases. Prior to that it was tracking a near perfect exponential rise. It seems early to see an effect from the national lockdown, but perhaps the earlier measures had started to have an effect. Hospitals getting full in Lombardi will probably have had a chilling effect on peoples's behaviour

Any idea what their capacity is for testing? With that kind of growth, it doesn't seem like it'd be too long before that and the practicality or usefulness of testing would cap the numbers if the rate of spread continued.
Good point. I don't see any test numbers in the Italian figures, so I'm not sure if/when they will have trouble keeping up with the increase in cases. This could really cause problems for working out whether the quarantine is affecting the trend, or if it's just or hitting the test-capacity-limit . My simple curve fitting takes no account of numbers tested. It only really works if the diagnosed case numbers are proportional to the true number of actual infections.
In most countries, the vast majority of tests (over 90%) are negative, and Korea is testing about 15000 people per day. Italy would need a very large test capacity to keep up, or they'll have to start rationing the tests. I doubt any country can keep doubling their test capacity every 3-4 days to keep up with an exponential rise. Changes to the testing/diagnosis criteria would make any curve fitting much more unreliable.

If you're using the number from Robert-Koch-Institut for Germany consider those are currently not entirely accurate as they said they change the way they collect the numbers from the different states.
Robert Koch Institut lists 484 cases from NRW on their website yesterday evening while the health ministry of NRW just reported 687.

Worldometer lists 1565 for whole Germany compared to 1296 from RKI (but I'm not sure how accurate those are).
Yes, I was using RKI numbers from the 15:00hrs status reports. I wonder why the numbers are different, bureaucratic lag time? Things like variations in the reporting time lags or changes in reporting methods will mess up my "naive" fitting of the data.

Last edited: