• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rhindle

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like community spread is starting to happen in India. Talk about looming disaster scenarios.

www.businesstoday.in

Coronavirus: WHO declares COVID-19 a pandemic, India fights back with Epidemic Act

Coronavirus in India: More than 1,400 contacts are under surveillance in India currently; of total 50 cases in the country, 34 are Indians while 16 are Italians
twitter.com

ANI on Twitter

“Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India: 10 new cases of #COVID19 confirmed. 8 cases are from Kerala and 1 each from Rajasthan & Delhi. Total cases rise to 60 across the country.”

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
User Banned (3 days): Ignoring staff post
Jesus that seems like an especially high mortality rate in Italy. Any possible reason for that?
Heard from a doctor who spoke to his Italian colleagues that they're kind of assuming about 70% of them are infected, but most doctors can continue working because the symptoms are rather mild.

Reading a lot more stories now too of people who were tested and just had one or two days of fever and are good to go again. I'm just recovering from two days of fever but even if there were multiple cases in my town and near my work, they wouldn't test me, so who knows.

For all this talk about SARS×HIV^2, I think this will shake out to being not much worse than the regular flu.

The kind of systemic crashes you see in Hubei and Lombardy is simply what happens when 50% of a population comes down with a flu like strain at the same time. And that's why it's important to delay the progress as much as possible by vigorous washing, staying at home and not attending large gatherings. Ultimately I think that WHO (?) doctor was right. 50-70% of the world will get this. Just like actual flu.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Jesus that seems like an especially high mortality rate in Italy. Any possible reason for that?
Italy is known as one of the oldest populations in the world, with a median age of about 46 years old.

age-breakdown-bar-graph-Italy.jpg

I'm just thinking about patients flooding into hospitals thinking they have covid-19 symptoms based on anything from a stuffy nose to diarrhea. It's going to be insane.
In Indonesia, we have COVID call centres deployed in various governmental offices in selected cities. People who feel that they have the symptoms are encouraged to consult with those COVID centres first before going to the hospitals.

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
Ugh... this is starting to get into near mass hysteria here in mall town in CA (Merced). Bottled water is virtually gone, couldn't find any at the big stores nor the niche small market near my apartment. I'm convinced the virus is here at this point, we're pretty much surrounded with cases in nearby counties. My mother shared with me an article from Forbes (I think?) that said that an AI script projected 2.5 billion deaths from this. Such bullshit, she was so alarmed. I really fucking hate alarmists and those who profit out of fear-monger.

Blindman

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
When word/rumor of the disease first appear, Taiwan sent it's own expert to Wuhan to get assessment of the situation, and instead of following WHO recomendation at the time, took the advice of it's own expert and instead choose to follow their advice and started screening people coming from that region.

Government also took a harder stance to stamp down and punish people spreading rumor or false information for their own profit, like the reseller claiming that toilet paper will disappear because they are same material as face mask(Fake news)

Active monitering of people suspected(testing) and those under self quarantine, where social worker will check on them to bring them supply and ensure they are self-quarataine, if found to be missing, their name and picture will be released on local news and local police will work with public and traffic team with cameria to find and bring them back, where they will be charged and fined(Multiple instance already, but now not a lot)

Public area with temperature checking and manditory monitoring by business and public themself.

Government opening new machine to manufacture more face mask for public and health worker, with rationing by national insurance ID(3 per adult, 5 per child)
WIthin a month, manufacturing capability goal was reached a nd rationing can be increase
And new system just activated sine some people are work or unable to visit the drug store, they can now ship them to you and set up pick up time at any of the drug store that get daily mask(Younger generation people and newer politician idea, using APP and other form of payment, which older politician accepted and implemented)

And people coming back from affect region, today 361 Taiwanese came back on two plane, the health authority, allowed them all to disembark in a closed off section of the airport, and took their information and check their situation, those that are deem already infected or at risk are taken to hospital to be treated.

Rest of the passenger will be taken to various quarantine area to be watched and tested for 2 week before allowing them to travel freely in Taiwan

Government is also increasing the pay of ICU hospital worker by 10k per month

And getting the general public to wear face mask when in area, and use hand sanatizer, etc.

So Government working with local business, and younger people together to go through this situation
Well we all know WHO was wrong in its assessment, clearly look at how the virus has spread.

Whats wrong with with putting a stop to rumors? Also how much was the fine? It is my understanding Taiwan fines are too low. They recently raise the penalty for breaking self quarantine rule. Which I think it's a positive step to prevention.

are you saying increase production of mask is bad? Have you tried to buy mask in your current location

not sure how any of your line items are bad?

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
SAGE meeting tomorrow. Should see some more measures come into effect. Especially after the mp news

Frankly, the real time case tracking tool that came out today does at least show a proactive role for the wider government. As in the people that matter. That will stave off countless infections until treatments come into effect. We saw how effective the tool.was in SK.

They are far, far exceeding the expectations I have so far. Remarkable given how this shower of a gov is over brexit.

They haven't done anything so far. They've told people to wash their hands and Matt Hancock has been spewing complete lies the last week saying this isn't a big deal. They've literally made it worse.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The leading german virologist Christian Drosten said yesterday in his daily podcast that he currently expects the peak of german cases from june til august.
This also is in line with his recent assumption that he doesn't expect this particular virus to slow down in summer.

I imagine that doesn't bode well for the UEFA EuroCup this summer as it's supposed to take place all over europe.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth, outside of some real bad clusters like Codogno, life in Italy presumes more or less like always. Activity at night heavily diminished, but people go to work and do their own business at home fairly normally. Antisocial people like me aren't feeling too much of a difference in the daily habits to be honest.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
This comparison never made any sense...

Though, when you hear experts comparing it to the modern flu it's less about "COVID ISN'T A BIG DEAL LOL" but rather "THE FLU IS AN ALMOST SIMILARLY DANGEROUS VIRUS (to the individual patient) AND NONE OF Y'ALL WHO ARE PANICKING NOW ARE GETTING YOUR YEARLY FLU SHOTS".

Like, imagine how much money our health systems could be saving if people were to just get their $20 shot a year. Imagine what the treatment of flu patients costs our economies each year, compared to how much it'd cost if everyone (or at least... 50% of people) were to just get their flu shot ...

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
She self isolated with her 84 year old mum...

Jesus.

Though, when you hear experts comparing it to the modern flu it's less about "COVID ISN'T A BIG DEAL LOL" but rather "THE FLU IS AN ALMOST SIMILARLY DANGEROUS VIRUS (to the individual patient) AND NONE OF Y'ALL WHO ARE PANICKING NOW ARE GETTING YOUR YEARLY FLU SHOTS".

Like, imagine how much money our health systems could be saving if people were to just get their $20 shot a year. Imagine what the treatment of flu patients costs our economies each year, compared to how much it'd cost if everyone (or at least... 50% of people) were to just get their flu shot ...

In the UK I don't think we ever have enough for everyone. They only give it to people at risk AFAIK.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The leading german virologist Christian Drosten said yesterday in his daily podcast that he currently expects the peak of german cases from june til august.
This also is in line with his recent assumption that he doesn't expect this particular virus to slow down in summer.

I imagine that doesn't bode well for the UEFA EuroCup this summer as it's supposed to take place all over europe.
Wtf I had high hopes we could be through with it in May.

Is he basing it on there being probably not enough hot days before then?

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France

No no no no no, I have hellfest mid june in France, I'm so afraid it's going to be cancelled...

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
The Sydney Morning Herald is reporting that members of the Haas and McLaren F1 race teams are in isolation in Melbourne and waiting for the results of coronavirus tests. The Australian F1 GP is this weekend.

www.smh.com.au

As the day unfolded: Travel ban placed on Italy as Australia records rise in cases

Starkly illustrating the global east-to-west spread of the new coronavirus, Italy has begun an extraordinary, sweeping lockdown while in China, the diminishing threat prompted the President to visit Wuhan and declare: "We will certainly defeat this epidemic."

^ It's the 6.57pm entry at the link above.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wtf I had high hopes we could be through with it in May.

Is he basing it on there being probably not enough hot days before then?

He said in a press conference two days ago that hot temperatures probably won't have as much of an effect on this virus as it has on other kinds. He's making these assumptions based on a recent US study.

He also said summer naturally will have still a small effect because we go out more and are less in enclosed spaces, but it won't be so much to slow down the spread in a meaningful way.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
www.nola.com

Coronavirus cases in Louisiana jump to six; three more positive tests for New Orleans residents

Here's what we know about the local coronavirus patients.

Not sure if this has been posted but Nola jumped from 1 to 6 cases in a little under 48 hours. I fully expect us to start getting a ton of cases in the next week or two. We had one positive walking around a convention with over 1000 people (who were all surely eating out and enjoying the New Orleans night life) and the first case was community transmission

Number45

Oct 25, 2017

Sawa

Banned
Oct 24, 2019
Scotland

If it was free then many more people would get it.
It is ridiculous that it is not free for all in the UK (only free for older people and those with underlying health conditions)
You really can't blame people for not getting things that aren't free and acccessible to them.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Yeah until a few days ago, I was certain it would be fine, but now I'm not so sure...
If people respect rules and are cautious, this shit could peak early may and we should be ok in june, but I'm really crossing fingers right now...
HOTH isn't even large, iirc they limit ticket sales to 333, and its outdoors, but that's still an international crowd size I'd call worrysome at this point.
Not that it matters, if they have to cancel in June, that's the least of my worries.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You'd be better off doing their online stuff. They'll ask you the same questions anyway.

did that, doesn't say I have it, despite the fact I have the exact symptoms of it, it basically nullifies everything if you say you haven't been to an affected area, despite someone in my office coming back from north Italy two weeks ago

somone else in my office who I sit behind was sent home yesterday with an awful cough.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
wasn't there an academic paper that claimed that it mutated in Iran and thats the strain that Italy has.
There was, but there was also another paper that was very sceptical of it:
virological.org

Response to “On the origin and continuing evolution of SARS-CoV-2”

Response to “On the origin and continuing evolution of SARS-CoV-2” Oscar A. MacLean*, Richard Orton, Joshua B. Singer, David L. Robertson. MRC-University of Glasgow Centre for Virus Research (CVR). *To whom correspondence should be addressed: [email protected]. Introduction An...

zodiaq

Oct 28, 2017

So I guess they will cancel gamescom, too. It will be interesting to see what the games industry does as a response to all the events being cancelled. Not that I'm particularly sad about it, I think it's good to cancel it when they expect it to go as late as august. I wonder how long it will take for my company to finally offer home office...

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Regarding the first Indonesia death, she's a foreigner, a 53 y old British citizen who apparently arrived in Bali 4 days ago, and was already critically ill from underlying condition such as diabetes, hypertension, hypertiroid, and chronic pulmonary disease when admitted to hospital. This according to local news.

She may have contracted the coronavirus back in UK if so, and the virus probably rapidly worsened her condition :/

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
This is making me reconsider a few things.

In December, I left South Dakota to come back home to California to get some help through the VA, but decided to go back to South Dakota in April. I was planning on leaving on the 5th, but I'm not sure if I should (my fiancee is there)

We're also set to get married in June, but I don't know what to do if this hasn't died down. The last thing I want is people flying in from all over and potentially getting sick.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Some of my co-workers were coughing badly last week, but they also had a runny nose. They did use a mask and took some sick leave (or remote work) though.

This week, everyone has stopped coughing, so I guess it was just a common flu after all. Phew.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a doctor and I'm definitely worried.

Our ED (in melbourne) had double the amount of patients come in yesterday.

Hearing stories from Italy with doctors upset and crying as all they can offer patients in respiratory distress is oxygen rather than high flow masks or NIV (as they have run out) absolutely horrifies me...can't imagine being in that position and seeing that suffering in front of me. Because normally I know how to escalate the level of care if a patient is in respiratory distress...and so far I have never had to even consider lack of resources as an 'issue' in my clinical decision making.

Our respiratory HDU beds are always in short supply as it is. ICU too (at least more ICU beds here than back home in England)

God dunno how the NHS will cope with this if it becomes as bad as Italy. My friends who are junior docs in england...initially we all I think underestimated this but now hearing more reports especially from Italy...its starting to feel more scary

May 24, 2019
Just booked a flight from NZ to Sydney for work through April. Fingers crossed our lil countries at the butt end of the world keep steady.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Oh fuck.
Guess it's for the best if my grandma does not travel across the whole country to visit me in May/ June...

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Sydney Morning Herald is reporting that members of the Haas and McLaren F1 race teams are in isolation in Melbourne and waiting for the results of coronavirus tests. The Australian F1 GP is this weekend.

www.smh.com.au

As the day unfolded: Travel ban placed on Italy as Australia records rise in cases

Starkly illustrating the global east-to-west spread of the new coronavirus, Italy has begun an extraordinary, sweeping lockdown while in China, the diminishing threat prompted the President to visit Wuhan and declare: "We will certainly defeat this epidemic."

^ It's the 6.57pm entry at the link above.

I'd love to watch Formula 1 this weekend, but the best option would be canceling at this point.