• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Nice at South Korea! They look like they've got it.

Not so nice at 2 more cases of community transmission in BC. :( I'm so scared. I wonder if I should start not visiting my parents right now since I take public transit every day. I'm being really really conscious of not touching my face, sanitizing my hands every leg of my trip (on the bus, off the bus, on the skytrain, off the skytrain), but man... :( I'm already definitely not going to visit my grandpa for the time being (retirement home in Vancouver...).

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
User Warned: Derogatory Language
If you take away the fact it is a virus, and look at this a simple math. We are dealing with exponential growth...

Which means...

giphy.gif
This is my pov. These numbers are actually retarded compared to the reality on the ground. People who had a bad flu in the last few months.. possibly were passing around corona and didn't realize it. Esp gig economy stewards of flights
. Hell lots of people..

It will be interesting one day to look back on elderly death data around this period world wide. See if there's an up tick from the original Chinese doctors finds.

I just hope is stays away from kids and teens. They are sick forever.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I'm well aware, hence the "yet". Makes things worse considering my state is also old as fuck.
My state just had it's first 5 confirmations this afternoon. With all 5 being from different towns separated by ~45 - 60 miles from one another.

If it's come to small towns in South Dakota, it's only a very small amount of time before it continues onward.

Google map tags of local positives

Last edited:

The Omega Man

Oct 25, 2017
First suspected case in my kids school (Montreal) from a high school kid that just came back from France, the School only canceled classes for 3 classrooms, the one the kid goes to an 2 adjacent ones.
Parents are bombarding the school now with emails to get them to cancel
all classes at least until the test results are in.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
First dead in Panama and 8 new cases. In less than 24 hours. That's what happens when you have a terrible healthcare system, the authorities are incompetent and the politicians, instead of trying to improve the country, are just stealing money from our taxes.

Shit got real here in Panama in less than 24 hours Please, be careful friend.

What is really unsettling is the school where the two professors, including the director of the school, were found positive of Coronavirus. Unfortunately, the director died due to Coronavirus.

They need to suspend the classes in the entire country, not just nearest points inside the capital. Kids were at risks, and I can't believe how clueless our goverment was, to the point where familiy members of that school had to go out and start a protest in the streets to have the matter further investigated.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018

What is really unsettling is the school where the two professors, including the director of the school, were found positive of Coronavirus. Unfortunately, the director died due to Coronavirus.

They need to suspend the classes in the entire country, not just nearest points inside the capital. Kids were at risks, and I can't believe how clueless our goverment was, to the point where familiy members of that school had to go out and start a protest in the streets to have the matter further investigated.

Oh wow... Things escalated so fast.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That stupid fuck trump doesn't even realize how much better he would look if they made sure to get people tested as much as possible to slow it down

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Went to GP yesterday (Australia) for a scheduled follow-up appointment. Made chit-chat. Doctor asked if I was afraid of covid. I said not for myself, but I am for infrastructure and at-risk people. He said he was very scared — he's been seeing people constantly who making appointments for normal cold symptoms and it's doing his head in. Poor guy is flat-out.

Think it's pretty wild that General Practitioners aren't behind a fuck-off glass wall or something for hands-off consultations. He said he wished the public health system would allow for phone consultations to be compensated like face-to-face ones are because it would save so much time and risk for everyone.

Anyway, I think the best thing we can do is be keenly aware of the actual symptoms and avoid burdening the public health system unnecessarily.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow... Things escalated so fast.
I ain't kidding when I said our authorities are incompetent fools. Yesterday, in the press conference, when it was revealed a Spaniard came with the virus, the stupid health ministry admitted they didn't take the precautions with people coming from Spain. And it is well know that in Spain the virus has spread pretty fast.

As for the principal of the school, they outright refuse to say where did he get the virus. Heard some people say he got it from Italy, but can't confirm it. What I can say is that in Panama subreddit, people have posted the authorities aren't taking the correct measures to check if people coming from abroad have symptoms of the virus.

What worries me is that the public healthcare system is terrible. Hospitals are dirty, don't have enough doctors and the medical equipment is old or doesn't even work. Plus they lack medicines.

Same to you. I guess universities are going to close soon.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Went to GP yesterday (Australia) for a scheduled follow-up appointment. Made chit-chat. Doctor asked if I was afraid of covid. I said not for myself, but I am for infrastructure and at-risk people. He said he was very scared — he's been seeing people constantly who making appointments for normal cold symptoms and it's doing his head in. Poor guy is flat-out.

Think it's pretty wild that General Practitioners aren't behind a fuck-off glass wall or something for hands-off consultations. He said he wished the public health system would allow for phone consultations to be compensated like face-to-face ones are.

Anyway, I think the best thing we can do is be keenly aware of the actual symptoms and avoid burdening the public health system unnecessarily.

My wife is in the medical field but on the surgery side. She isn't so much hands on and is taking it in stride, but she is getting a ton of emails each day about updates. Seems most medical people I know are taking it seriously, but not too scared yet.

Thebox

Dec 26, 2019

Think it's pretty wild that General Practitioners aren't behind a fuck-off glass wall or something for hands-off consultations. He said he wished the public health system would allow for phone consultations to be compensated like face-to-face ones are.

It's gonna be like that here in the USA soon. Most of the providers in my area will just tell a patient to go to the ER if they can't get them in the office. There's too much liability to give recommendations to someone over the phone. So we'll be overwhelmed with people with minor symptoms.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
My boss has gone full apocalyptic this morning.

From economy standpoint, he's afraid that 'this is it'. The one thing that would collapse the whole world.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
My wife is in the medical field but on the surgery side. She isn't so much hands on and is taking it in stride, but she is getting a ton of emails each day about updates. Seems most medical people I know are taking it seriously, but not too scared yet.

My wife is on the surgery side as well and the arguments she has online with people comparing it to the flu. Her usual response is "you realize this doesn't replace the flu but is in addition to it?" The hospital my wife works at is already getting plans set to do what they're doing in Italy if needed (convert OR rooms to ICU).

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Washington State about to ban social gatherings larger than 250 people in King, Snohomish and Pierce counties.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My wife is on the surgery side as well and the arguments she has online with people comparing it to the flu. Her usual response is "you realize this doesn't replace the flu but is in addition to it?" The hospital my wife works at is already getting plans set to do what they're doing in Italy if needed (convert OR rooms to ICU).

Yah, my wife doesn't touch social media for that reason. Her hospital network has already had a COVID confirmed case, so they're aware of the situation and the plan.

You call ahead, masked people meet you and swab you in your car so you don't enter and test you. Severe symptoms if you come in late mean you go in through isolation. They are really encouraging you to call in advance. Gonna be stressful when the numbers go up though.

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Latest numbers in Japan are troublesome, the highest increase in cases observed in a single day until now (https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/special/coronavirus/):
Today +59
Yesterday +28
March 8th +33
March 7th +44
March 6th +56
March 5th +32
March 4th +36
March 3rd +19
March 2nd +18
March 1st +14

A cluster was found in an elderly care center and various cases originated from small scale concerts.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yah, my wife doesn't touch social media for that reason. Her hospital network has already had a COVID confirmed case, so they're aware of the situation and the plan.

You call ahead, masked people meet you and swab you in your car so you don't enter and test you. Severe symptoms if you come in late mean you go in through isolation. They are really encouraging you to call in advance. Gonna be stressful when the numbers go up though.
That's how Kaiser is handling tests. It's basically a drivethru.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Germany reported 341 new cases, no deaths. Total = 1565, 2 deaths.

France is 372 new cases, 3 deaths. Total = 1784, 33 deaths.

Spain is 464 new cases, 6 deaths. Total = 1695, 36 deaths.
We need to get recovered numbers from these countries and hospitalized numbers. 50% hospitalized in Italy is crazy.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
94 cases and 1 death (80+year old in nursing home) in Canada and most of those cases are not very new, with an 80 year old recovering today. I wonder if peoples' chances are better if it's caught early.

OP
OP
wandering

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
What's most dangerous about this virus isn't its lethality, but its r0 value.

r0 of >2.5 is ridiculous. It's essentially a super flu on steroids.

Well, that second to last sentence might be a little overkill. It's certainly much more contagious than the seasonal flu, which is why it's become a crisis, but the r0 of a disease is more complicated than being a value from which you can immediately gauge its severity. The Atlantic had a great article on what we can actually glean from the r0 number of COVID-19, I'll link it below. It's from January so obviously some of it is outdated re: the global situation, but it's still a good primer on what an r0 means.

www.theatlantic.com

The Deceptively Simple Number Sparking Coronavirus Fears

Here’s what the oft-cited R0 number tells us about the new outbreak—and what it doesn’t.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
94 cases and 1 death (80+year old in nursing home) in Canada and most of those cases are not very new, with an 80 year old recovering today. I wonder if peoples' chances are better if it's caught early.

Coronavirus can cause pneumonia which will cause the tissues, small bronicals, and alveolar air sacs of the lungs to fill with fluid. It is extremely helpful if this is caught early - as you can imagine such symptoms will cause many other issues - such as limiting oxygen to the blood. It's a lot for the body to fight against when it goes too far - which is why many elderly people are dying

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Well in Canada, we don't have to worry about paying to go to the doctor/hospital, which in turn makes it easier to catch illness at earlier stages.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Well in Canada, we don't have to worry about paying to go to the doctor/hospital, which in turn makes it easier to catch illness at earlier stages.
Yeah, I personally know someone here in Canada whose father just got tested positive yesterday, coming from Germany. Now the whole house is quarantined. If this was in the US I doubt he would have gotten tested.

We've done a great job at totally preventing community spread, so far, even if it's inevitable.

ReactionShot

Oct 25, 2017
China will donate 100K face masks, 20K protective suits, and 50K test kits to Italy.

Per Italian government's request, China will prioritize the order of 1000 respirators and 2 million face masks from Italy.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I personally know someone here in Canada whose father just got tested positive yesterday, coming from Germany. Now the whole house is quarantined. If this was in the US I doubt he would have gotten tested.

We've done a great job at totally preventing community spread, so far, even if it's inevitable.

We have 3 cases of community spread in BC, with 2 today :(