• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
So... just found out that someone who works at my job may possibly have coronavirus. They went to Taiwan mid February & has been out sick since last week. The union just got wind of it & is most likely going to bring it to to the head of the company. I'm kind of freaking out right now.
Listen, this is out now, freaking out will change nothing. We have to try and get through this. It doesn't matter if you are in Taiwan. Germany, or the U.S. Containment is no longer possible. Most people will NOT die from this, just got to be more prepared and careful in the coming months.

Deleted member 19813

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We just got word of coronavirus in my area (Longview, TX). The sole person is apparently in quarantine. They had traveled to CA.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
That's in Greenwood, south of Shoreline, unless you speak of a different Ida Culver House.

Sorry, I meant Ravenna, which is right next to Roosevelt (I got it confused because students from Roosevelt High volunteer there). It's the one on 65th and 25th, right before you turn right to get to U Village/Husky Stadium/UWMC.

Kenneth Robert Hunt died Monday, according to a Facebook post by his son, Ken Hunt Jr., of Seattle, and a statement from the Ida Culver House in the Ravenna neighborhood, where Mr. Hunt was a resident.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
If i remember corretly he was ill but still doing sport and all. And he went to the hospital very very late.
Yes, this is also quite true. He went to the hospital two times. The first time they told him it was a normal flu. He kept doing sports, making himself a superspreader. The second time he went in the hospital he was in bad conditions. One anesthesiologist had the intuition that it could have been covid. She was right.

The town where the italian cluster mainly began is his hometown, Codogno. It was put in lockdown 24 hours after the positive test. For the first time in more than two weeks, Codogno today had zero new cases. That anesthesiologist saved many lives.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I keep hearing cases of young people getting to critical condition. Could it be related to the stronger strain?
Statistically cases like that are bound to happen sometimes. They'll get some headlines purely because they're unusual. If younger people were consistently getting blasted like the elderly we'd probably have widespread evidence of it by now.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't matter if you are in Taiwan. Germany, or the U.S. Containment is no longer possible.

Actually Taiwan is doing pretty well. Immediate action here by the government, and national healthcare, have made things cautiously optimistic. We don't need to "freak out," sure, but public cooperation and targeted, nation-wide programs do indeed contain the virus. Our new cases are in the single digits over a matter of weeks.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
I keep hearing cases of young people getting to critical condition. Could it be related to the stronger strain?

I think a lot of the reason you keep hearing about it is because it is fairly rare and therefore those cases are more noteworthy. As far as I'm aware, there's still only been a handful of serious cases in people under 40 in the US.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Statistically cases like that are bound to happen sometimes. They'll get some headlines purely because they're unusual. If younger people were consistently getting blasted like the elderly we'd probably have widespread evidence of it by now.

This sounds like someone presenting once, being sent home, and then returning when things got really bad. It's terrible. And it probably won't be the only case of it in the US.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
My campus (University of California, Irvine) has canceled classes for the rest of the quarter, and next quarter will be online classes only. Wow.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
Actually Taiwan is doing pretty well. Immediate action here by the government, and national healthcare, have made things cautiously optimistic. We don't need to "freak out," sure, but public cooperation and targeted, nation-wide programs do indeed contain the virus. Our new cases are in the single digits over a matter of weeks.
Yes, of course, that's common sense. Some people are just completely losing it thinking the world is turning into Raccoon City which isn't helping anybody.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018

Yep, totally agree. It's been quite surprising to read those news and the specifics of each case. Young people could also get hit quite hard by this, but it's a very rare thing so far.

Deleted member 33082

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
What do you mean by Taiwan using drastic measures? They locked down a city? What did they do that was not so different from China? Please explain...?
They acted decisevily and promptly, rather than reacting weakly and passively like most Western governments. I mean, Taiwan started checking flights from Wuhan even before the virus was identified..

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, totally agree. It's been quite surprising to read those news and the specifics of each case. Young people could also get hit quite hard by this, but it's a very rare thing so far.

From what I have seen satistically this virus still, as a matter of percentage, is hitting people in younger age brackets harder then the common cold and flu, and there is still a perceptible but rare death rate from for FLU to hurt or send someone to the hospital if they get Pneumonia due to it. The only really eye catching stats is the under 20 and above 50. Under 20 its showing remarkable resistance, but 50 and up the percentages are way above either Common Cold and Flu, especially in the 70+ range.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
So our health minister in the UK has caught the virus. I'm hoping this means they'll start to actually do something and stop is becoming the next Italy.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So our health minister in the UK has caught the virus. I'm hoping this means they'll start to actually do something and stop is becoming the next Italy.
Its pretty much guaranteed someone travelling on the tube has it. Considering we are packed like sardines in those things we are overdue a Italy like scenario.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
UK Health Minister tests positive for the virus.'

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/03/uk...tive-for-coronavirus-its-been-pretty-rubbish/

Yet another government has a senior official who has tested positive for COVID-19 coronavirus.

"Health minister and Conservative MP Nadine Dorries says she has been diagnosed with coronavirus," the BBC reports. "Ms Dorries, the first MP to test positive, said she had taken all the advised precautions after finding out and had been self-isolating at home."

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

And she has been in Westminster for past week, met hundreds of people, and attended a No 10 reception hosted by Boris Johnson on Thursday

Deleted member 34788

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Hopefully this is a wake-up call for the Government and they take a more proactive approach in dealing with this.

SAGE meeting tomorrow. Should see some more measures come into effect. Especially after the mp news

Frankly, the real time case tracking tool that came out today does at least show a proactive role for the wider government. As in the people that matter. That will stave off countless infections until treatments come into effect. We saw how effective the tool.was in SK.

They are far, far exceeding the expectations I have so far. Remarkable given how this shower of a gov is over brexit.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
My mom is not dealing with this well.

Someone told her if she uses the hair dryer on max, she can kill germs, bacteria and viruses. So she's using the hair dryer on her jacket lol.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think we're going to decide to close schools far too late, and probably not long enough either. I'm just thinking about how many coughing students I have and how dirty they must get everything and all of the door handles I have to touch on a daily basis...

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't sound good for her mum!

twitter.com

Nadine Dorries 🇬🇧#StayAlert on Twitter

“Thanks for so many good wishes. It’s been pretty rubbish but I hope I’m over the worst of it now. More worried about my 84yo mum who is staying with me and began with the cough today. She is being tested tomorrow. Keep safe and keep washing those hands, everyone.”

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think we're going to decide to close schools far too late, and probably not long enough either. I'm just thinking about how many coughing students I have and how dirty they must get everything and all of the door handles I have to touch on a daily basis...

Frankly yeah. I don't understand how my office has not just given the blanket WFH email yet.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
First dead in Panama and 8 new cases. In less than 24 hours. That's what happens when you have a terrible healthcare system, the authorities are incompetent and the politicians, instead of trying to improve the country, are just stealing money from our taxes.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Its pretty much guaranteed someone travelling on the tube has it. Considering we are packed like sardines in those things we are overdue a Italy like scenario.
There is this at least.

www.google.co.uk

Coronavirus: Transport for London reveals plan to disinfect Tube and bus network

Anti-viral fluid will be used in stations and trains, while poles on buses will be wiped with "strong disinfectant" every day.

It won't make much difference if someone infected coughs on or near you when it's packed.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My mom is not dealing with this well.

Someone told her if she uses the hair dryer on max, she can kill germs, bacteria and viruses. So she's using the hair dryer on her jacket lol.

This won't do anything but potentially start a fire!

There is this at least.

www.google.co.uk

Coronavirus: Transport for London reveals plan to disinfect Tube and bus network

Anti-viral fluid will be used in stations and trains, while poles on buses will be wiped with "strong disinfectant" every day.

It won't make much difference if someone coughs on or near you though when it's packed.

Rush hour in the NY subway is something else. People packed like sardines.. I wonder what happens if someone suddenly has to cough for whatever reason?

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
Should I stay away from my parents and grandparents for a while? I work with dozens of customers a day and the Belgian government is currently doing nothing to stop the spread. I've been experiencing huge feelings of anxiety in the past week that I could spread it to family members and I could never forgive myself if I do.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
It makes good points but it also makes me question how reliable the models are.

We don't really know the mortality rate and we don't know how many people are actually infected (when thinking of people showing mild/hardly any symptoms and going undetected/untested). Making assumptions from one to the other doesn't seem to make much sense to me. Something isolated like that cruise ship isn't really much of a help, either, as I'd consider cruise ship passengers not a replica of the general population.

Might be a dodgy statement science-wise so please correct me if I'm talking nonsense but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot more people are already infected than is assumed at the moment.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
well that has sufficiently scared the shit out of me.

Oh hey!

Closure of all educational establishments (schools, universities…), gyms, museums, ski stations, cultural and social centers, swimming pools, and theaters.

This is the least I would order. If you want to be safe, do it Wuhan style. People might complain now, but they'll thank you later.