• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
3rd MN case is someone in their 30s currently in critical condition. Presented once about a week ago and sent home. Came back and is now it critical condition.

Awesome.

This has been mentioned a few times now and I feel like it's being overlooked so people can just keep "It'll only kill your if you're old" narrative going in their heads.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Hawaii is the only one who has a chance of not getting it if they close the ports and airports right now and don't let anyone in for the next two months (at least). All the landlocked states? If it's not there already it soon will be. People move around and therefore the virus does too.

Too bad people from the Seattle area are flying there right now. A family who's kids just had their school district closed down for two weeks was interviewed by the local news and they said they're going to Hawaii instead of staying here and doing the right thing.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
My friend had a work conference in Colorado tomorrow that was just cancelled. No flight refund and the hotel is only refunding one night (she was gonna be there Wed-Saturday)

Manicstreet

Oct 25, 2017
US will be at 10k cases within a week it looks like, and with the "it's just the flu" attitude I'm anecdotally encountering everywhere it wouldn't surprise me if US outpaces China on this thing pretty quickly.

do you think the United States can just shut down for 2 weeks and quarantine everyone like China did? Come on.

cmagus

Oct 27, 2017
All these Canadians coming back from the USA with coronavirus... really shows you how backward America is right now.
Atleast in BC here things are being handled really well so far. I kind of wish though they would stop and unnessecary travel between the US and Canada for now considering we are so close to Seattle and a few of our cases have been from people returning from Seattle. I would say though that we have been really good with testing and then following the chain for infected people and people in general have been really diligent with self quarantine.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Taiwan took got a handle on this too, using pretty drastic measures which are not so different than China, and they're a liberal democracy.
It has nothing to do with "authoritarianism", the US government can legally do pretty much everything that China did and more. They can also take a serious but different approach like Korea or Singapore.
What you do need is government that is willing to fight this virus, but the US government is currently run by people who have an almost religious beliefs that "the most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
We definitely suck, but Taiwan is a densely populated country within a small area.

fierygunrob

One Winged Slayer
Jan 16, 2018
I saw this come across the wire earlier today.

twitter.com

John Bel Edwards on Twitter

“Today, the @LADeptHealth has confirmed two new presumptive positive cases of COVID-19 in Louisiana. Currently, we have three presumptive positive cases of coronavirus in Louisiana, all in the New Orleans area. #lagov #lalege 📰: https://t.co/t4qHoDZHbI”
Thanks. I have this nagging feeling that we've already been hit hard and we just don't know it yet.
No idea currently, but Based on the current under reaction, and not preemptive action, there is a good chance 60 to 80% of America's population may contract the virus (this is the same for any country of they adopt a "do nothing" approach
That's bleak. I've seen similar projections elsewhere. It's going to be interesting(for lack of a better word) once we get a grasp on the scale of how many people are actually infected in the states.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This has been mentioned a few times now and I feel like it's being overlooked so people can just keep "It'll only kill your if you're old" narrative going in their heads.

I think it's also known to affect smokers / people with lung damage, and diabetics / people with unchecked high blood sugar, too.

Any kind of respiratory issue kinda supersedes the age factor, do we know what underlying condition this person had?

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great, my dad's one of the "it's blown out of proportions" types

His ironclad proof was that H1N1 was blown out of proportions too

Not trying to be insulting, but this is the kind of reasoning I got from my kids when they were 9 years old and were told to do something for the sake of safety.

"But nothing bad happened the last time we did it!"

Oct 27, 2017
There are always going to be cases like this, and no one is really saying "it will *only* kill you if you're old". It's not a "narrative". The mortality rate is not high for young people. It's not zero, but that goes for lots of things. That doesn't make it any less shitty for the people who are at significant risk, or that healthier people should care less about it.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We definitely suck, but Taiwan is a densely populated country within a small area.
Being densely populated make the virus harder to control.
They also have really good public transportation and train system which are strong vectors for infection.

The US is the richest and most technologically advanced country in the history of the world, our government can and should do way more. I honestly think Americans expect too little from their government.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man we're going to have a flood of people who know nothing about this suddenly thinking they have it because of a stuffy nose

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
How long until UK goes into lockdown and suspends university and schools?

I'm feeling by the end of this week.

Our head teacher is saying he reckons before Easter. Even if the government doesn't close schools, if they relax the recommended isolation symptoms to anything close to a cold that's half our staff and pupils.

The kids are scared, there's lots of misinformation being spread by them (they're just kids after all), it's freaking them out and is sad to see.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Not trying to be insulting, but this is the kind of reasoning I got from my kids when they were 9 years old and were told to do something for the sake of safety.

"But nothing bad happened the last time we did it!"
No insult taken; his stubbornness and Fox News/Mark Levin brainwashing is childishly aggravating at best, fucked up and dangerous at worst

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man we're going to have a flood of people who know nothing about this suddenly thinking they have it because of a stuffy nose
Better to be overly cautious than flippant and careless.

My asthma has been acting up, no other symptoms yet though, and that alone has been nerve-wracking. Considering what's going on, being scared because of sickness is only human

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
7 new cases in Alberta, Canada. All travel related. All of them are in isolation at home.

calgary.ctvnews.ca

7 new cases of COVID-19 found in Alberta

Alberta Health says there are now 14 cases of COVID-19 in the province.

From BC Health's (British Columbia, Canada) press conference:

7 new cases, 5 travel related and 2 community spread.

-2 cases are unknown community transmission. Located in the Fraser Health region.
-2 from the Lynn Valley Care Centre.
-1 from Egypt Nile Cruise
-1 from Grand Princess Cruise
-1 from Germany

Good news though. Two patients have recovered, including the 80 year old who was in critical/ICU.

No new cases in Ontario. Only case today was the man who traveled from Switzerland.

Canada has 94 total cases, 1 death. No critical.

Last edited:

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There are always going to be cases like this, and no one is really saying "it will *only* kill you if you're old". It's not a "narrative". The mortality rate is not high for young people. It's not zero, but that goes for lots of things. That doesn't make it any less shitty for the people who are at significant risk, or that healthier people should care less about it.

Of course, but I'm just saying I think there's quite a few people that may be blocking stuff like this out. Like I have 2 friends with diabetes in their 30's and this freaks me the hell out. Not to mention just for my own family who luckily don't have and strong underlying health conditions. I was a smoker for 15 years though (still smoke green).

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Still boggles my mind that the current administration's response to this is basically wait and see. I guess I could sort of see Trump pulling this, but how does the GOP not feel a sense of urgency to do something when it's likely to hit their constituency (old people and rural folks w/o access to proper care) the hardest?

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Also here's the list of countries visited by the 7 new cases in Alberta.

• France
  • The Netherlands
  • Egypt
  • Iran
  • Taiwan
  • Germany
  • Malaysia
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • Panama
  • The Philippines
  • The United States

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
The 60-70% figures are dependent on timeframe. Over the course of the next year or so, before a viable vaccine is readily available, that many people could potentially contract the virus. The younger you are, the less chance (according to the statistics thus far) you have of developing viral pneumonia or other complications that require hospitalisation, but the risk is still there for younger individuals. Most importantly, the strain this will have on healthcare systems already struggling will exacerbate the situation and vulnerable people who could have survived this with the appropriate care and treatment will suffer the most.
I guess we just hope it takes as long as possible to reach that 70% mark, and that the stuff about re-infection isn't what it sounds like.

Have to say the scariest thing about this is people being selfish and not giving a shit. Maybe if someone famous gets it things will change

Blindman

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Taiwan took got a handle on this too, using pretty drastic measures which are not so different than China, and they're a liberal democracy.
It has nothing to do with "authoritarianism", the US government can legally do pretty much everything that China did and more. They can also take a serious but different approach like Korea or Singapore.
What you do need is government that is willing to fight this virus, but the US government is currently run by people who have an almost religious beliefs that "the most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
What do you mean by Taiwan using drastic measures? They locked down a city? What did they do that was not so different from China? Please explain...?

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I can't seem to find any further information on the MN girl in her 30s in critical condition. Anyone find more?

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
So... just found out that someone who works at my job may possibly have coronavirus. They went to Taiwan mid February & has been out sick since last week. The union just got wind of it & is most likely going to bring it to to the head of the company. I'm kind of freaking out right now.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I keep hearing cases of young people getting to critical condition. Could it be related to the stronger strain?

I wouldn't be bringing up the "stronger strain" stuff again until we get more on it. The only research that exists on two strains has been posted many times and it said the frequency of the more vigorous variety has diminished since early January. So while anything is possible we should probably wait to see confirmation of such things before speculating.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
Still boggles my mind that the current administration's response to this is basically wait and see. I guess I could sort of see Trump pulling this, but how does the GOP not feel a sense of urgency to do something when it's likely to hit their constituency (old people and rural folks w/o access to proper care) the hardest?

Forget constituency, this virus is likely to hit a vast majority of the house senate republicans directly given their age. The truth is we don't have anyone in the current batch of the GOP that knows how to govern or legislate properly anymore, and they are staring down a force that literally doesn't care what they or anyone thinks of it. They can't bluff through things and they have no answers.