• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a quick question for anyone who knows:

How does a virus transmit (human to human) if a person is asymptomatic? (No sneezing, coughing etc).

No ejection of the virus from mucus or other bodily fluids? I feel like I'm missing something?

I've done a bit of research on my own here:

They mention "shedding"? Wut?
spittle, particles in breath, etc. it's probably not the primary transmission vector but it's possible.

"viral shedding" basically means the body is releasing viral matter.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
The employers for both my wife and I have told us to start working from home. But if we want to be able to work we would need to keep our daughter in daycare (she is less than 1). I know babies don't seem to get the disease in any serious way - does anyone know if it's just mild or basically asymptomatic? I don't want her to get flu like symptoms even if they are not dangerous. And are there known transmission from very young children to adults ?

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
i can wfh whenever, but I'm hoping for my parent company to just come out and say it. Being American, I have that weird bullshit where I don't want to be the only one working from home so the rest at my office don't think I'm being crazy. I've definitely been the most vocal employee about this thing, but I'm still being met with some "this is the flu" resistance.

There is an immense amount of social pressure present with regards to this issue. Everybody is feeling what we're feeling, but nobody wants to be the first one to pull their kid out of school or ask to work from home or say they're not going to Easter or whatever.

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
Question, with all these cases popping up all over the country is it safe to assume that this has gone undetected for longer than we thought?

This is exactly what happened in Italy and is happening in the rest of the world. Here in Italy we thought we had everything under control with three imported cases from China (two tourists from Wuhan and one Italian who was living there). Then a doctor decided to test a patient in serious condition in a little town of 16k people with no traces of Chinese contact (he went to dinner with a friend who came back from Shanghai, who later was tested negative, so it couldn't be him) because she had a hunch and everything exploded, in two weeks the whole northern Italy became a red zone. At that point you don't even search for the famous patient 0, the thing was already spreading for who knows how long.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so thankful I have a job that I already work from home with. Yes I tend to travel for deals but it's acceptable to do presentations over web meeting as well for a lot of these, and perhaps all of them soon. And it's common for all internal meetings to be done over video camera. We were already doing that.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
At this moment 80% of SK's cases are in Daegu City (pop.: 2.5 million) and its surrounding area. I think too that their swift handling of cases in Daegu sets an example for other countries; but I do fear that the disease will not stop there.

Yeah, stopping it from going elsewhere doesn't seem possible. But as SK has shown, it seems realistic that if the government is fast enough in their actions that you can prevent it from spiraling out of control as we've seen elsewhere. What we're seeing with the Washington numbers is a good example of what shouldn't have happened. Reports are that it was there for weeks before the first positive test was found. So, they seem to be at a point where getting it under control without drastic measures isn't really feasible.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
Regarding the Japan talk here, Japan just isn't testing enough people. So far they have tested 6-7k people. Mostly because they want to keep the numbers low due to not wanting to possibly cancel the Olympics. Consensus among people my wife and I have talked to is that they know there are a lot of people infected walking around and that they can't do much until the government says to stay at home and that the government is treatingthine citizens like idiots. The government did the right thing shutting down big events but the recieved a lot of criticism for shutting down schools which is warranted, the whole point of shutting down schools was so kids stay at home but when I go past a park it's filled with kids playing around. Japanese people are pretty good at social distancing and wearing masks but I also see A LOT of people not wearing masks. In my opinion, Japan is going to get hit hard, it's just a matter of when.
An event I was suppose to go to next Sunday STILL isn't cancelled. It's one of the biggest doujin events in a major city and still isn't cancelled. I have no clue what's going on.

coldcrush

Jun 11, 2018
I work for a large video game studio in big metropolitan area , and there is no way in hell if we all had to go home people could check in files, or have the rigs and set up to effectively do their work remotely without a huge amount of effort (We set up one employee to work from home for other reasons a year ago and it took 3 months of support to get his workflow productive) . There are a few teams who could possibly work remotely but it would be a nightmare overall. Added to the fact if they send kids home from school how people with families and both parents working would be able to look after them. This is a major company with big resources and it would be a logistical and financial nightmare for the company, god knows how smaller companies and individuals would cope if more serious quarantine measures come about. I am all for quarantine and keeping people safe but I can see how every large organization must be incredibly nervous/brave about making that call

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is just me ranting about NJ Transit, but it's absolutely inexcusable to cancel trains. Now you have packed trains containing two sets of riders where people can get sick.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
I was hit hard with the flu in January. It's been decades since the last time it was that severe. Can't help thinking "but was it actually...?"

Same thought went through my mind... I didn't have cold or flu for like 3 decades. Then bam, full body ache and dry coughs. My wife then had some coughing a couple weeks later after I recovered...

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I am curious to know:
- how is the attendance, any major drops in foot traffic / loyal customers?
- is the restaurant in a city with an outbreak?

Fingers crossed, but so far it's been good. They've been super busy lately. We're in a small touristy town though, so if the main attraction (Oregon Shakespeare Festival) decides to start cancelling shows, it would really impact our restaurant too.

There have been two known cases in our county but not our town... yet.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I think it would have been better if they asked hospitals and clinics to wave the cost, that way you cover uninsured as well, and people won't have to worry about insurance companies shenanigans (you never know with them, you often have to fight with on stuff that are 100% sure be covered).

It still leave the question of hospitalization, because I suspect many people in the US just can't afford be 3 weeks in ICU.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017

How does a virus transmit (human to human) if a person is asymptomatic? (No sneezing, coughing etc).

No ejection of the virus from mucus or other bodily fluids? I feel like I'm missing something?

But there IS bodily fluids. Spit.

You ever met someone who when they talked, drops of saliva would ocasionally hit you? Everyone does this. Only difference is the degree to which they do it.

So lets say I'm carrying the virus. We two are having a conversation. Some drops of saliva from my mouth hit your hands. Tiny ones - you don't even notice. Then you scratch your nose.

giphy.gif

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
But there IS bodily fluids. Spit.

You ever met someone who when they talked, drops of saliva would ocasionally hit you? Everyone does this. Only difference is the degree to which they do it.

So lets say I'm carrying the virus. We two are having a conversation. Some drops of saliva from my mouth hit your hands. Tiny ones - you don't even notice. Then you scratch your nose.

giphy.gif
Ok I'll admit. I fucking laughed.

Bigjig

Jun 4, 2018
Fatalities is harder to make up but they're obviously not testing as much as they should be.
Personal experience here but I have actually called my city's hotline in how to get tested. They will refuse unless you were near a confirmed patient or have traveled to an outbreak country recently. So if you think you have it, then it's not a good enough reason to get tested since they apparently can't test everyone. They claimed they get hundreds calls of day from people worried that they may have it. Though this was last Thursday so maybe they have changed the rule(I doubt it).

Whether this approach is good or not, it's up to you. I think the way South Korea is handling it is good. Let anyone who think they have it test for it.

Again, I'm not trying to argue that Japan is testing as much as they should be. I'm arguing that no one is testing as much as they should be. Everyone keeps saying South Korea is doing great - South Korea has six times the death count that Japan has.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, there is no way we only have 2 cases in Connecticut. Good call with the state of emergency. Just waiting to hear more updates about schools. Our Spring Break is the first week of April, I wonder if they'll try to hold off on doing it until the week before to give 2 weeks off in a row.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Damn, UCSB cancelled all classes effective till May. Everyone was just jumping up and down but now in a state of confusion on what will happen with final exams. I just finished up a presentation too. Crazy thing is there are no reported cases in Santa Barbara County.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder what the tradeoff is. Stimulus package for the insurance companies down the road? They aren't doing this for free.
Insurance companies are HEAVILY invested in the idea that the US healthcare system is great, if it fails spectacularly enough to get people legit pissed at them, this can spell trouble down the road for their gravy train.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Concerned about the criteria to get tested in Aus...

I have a sore throat, fever and body aches. Doc brushed it off as a regular throat infection because I hadn't travelled recently or personally know anyone who has it.

I travel on a packed train for 1hr each day to and from areas that have confirmed cases.

As others have mentioned in this thread, wont be surprised if there are lots of undetected cases due to lack of testing or eligibility for testing..

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
Same here. High fever for days, dry cough for a few weeks. Tested negative for flu a/b.

I was never tested for even though we knew about covid-19 by then.

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was hit hard with the flu in January. It's been decades since the last time it was that severe. Can't help thinking "but was it actually...?"

I "jokingly" told my wife that I was one of the first people in the US with the virus. I got super sick in January and went to urgent care after a week when I suspected that I developed pneumonia and had a fever of 103. They gave me a bunch of steroids and antibiotics and I've just recently gotten back full lung capacity.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
The just cancelled one of the biggest festivities money wise and tourist wise in the world. The Fallas of Valencia, in Spain.
4th time since 1889 that the have been cancelled. The other 3 were because of wars.

The big problem is not the cancellation, is the cancellation coming SO late. The big days start in 5 days and some of the huge monuments (30 of the 600 that are build in nearly every corner of the city) were mid built in the streets already. Tha and all the light spectacles, the firework shows and the party "casals".
They should have cancelled them 10 days ago, now a lot of the falla artists are going to have huge problems bringing the monuments down and back to the workshops (its a full year work inside this workshops).
You see, after they are built on the street, the are burned on the last day, so they are not prepared for easy dismount methods.
From an economy standpoint they brought 500 million euros to the city, so thaya a huge blow.

They are working to postpone them till summer. Which would soften the blow but also gives a lot of problems for next year (as there will be no timw to work on the 2021 ones as the workshops will be full of the old ones).

As a valencian, this is gonna be interesting to see, thats for sure. I understand the cancellation though, better safe than sorry, but as i said, should have been cancelled 10 days ago to lessen the blow.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The US was on around 500 confirmed cases this time yesterday and now it's almost doubled, where's the poster who said it wasn't that bad or spreading in the US?

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I've done a bit of research on my own here:

They mention "shedding"? Wut?

Sweat, breathing.. a lot of cases happen on airplanes, busses and cruises due to the circulated air.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.