• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
This thing is highly contagious 70 cases from that one biogen conference wow
It's not just those 70 either, 5 of the cases in North Carolina are also related to that conference, since Biogen has an office here and these are Biogen employees who live here and were at the conference. They then came home and went to work at the Biogen office here while having symptoms. It's crazy.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Do we have an age breakdow
Anyone got us infection numbers for the last week? Interested in how it's increasing on a daily basis.

www.worldometers.info

COVID Live - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

Live statistics and coronavirus news tracking the number of confirmed cases, recovered patients, tests, and death toll due to the COVID-19 coronavirus from Wuhan, China. Coronavirus counter with new cases, deaths, and number of tests per 1 Million population. Historical data and info. Daily...

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Do we have an age breakdown of the deaths in Italy? Is it hitting in older communities and/or nursing homes like we're seeing in Washington where it also has a high amount of deaths?
Here some statistics about Italy.

Positive cases
- Age 10-19: 1% (85 people)
- Age 20-29: 3.5% (296 people)
- Age 40-49: 10.7% (891 people)
- Age 50-59: 17.4% (1453 people)
- Age 70-79: 21.4% (1785 people)

Deaths
- Age 40-49: 0.3% (1 person)
- Age 50-59: 0.8% (3 people)
- Age 70-79: 31.9% (114 people)

This breakdown is related to data available before March 9th.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
United Airlines bookings down 70%:

Get your mileage plans ready folks.

The way airline pricing works is going to create incentives for a behavior we almost certainly don't want to encourage.
I'm not saying no one should fly and I'm not saying the situation is the same everywhere, but globally, this is probably not the best time to push people into flying.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Is that every infected state minus Texas? I noticed the Houston Chronicle website had a subsection for this a few days ago with a tracking map and case counter; checked it today and all that stuff is gone...

Houston for whatever reason (probably cause of the rodeo) is downplaying the situation....gonna be interesting to see the numbers in a couple of days to weeks

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Christ, that Biogen infection really makes me more annoyed about the "update" email I received from a conference I'm supposed to attend in 2 weeks this afternoon. Basically they said "We're monitoring the situation of course...buuuuut only a couple people have cancelled and there's still people registering so you guys are clearly SO STOKED so we're still gonna do this thing, yeah!! Can't wait to see all 2000+ of you from all over the world soon!!". Seems like they're hard pressed to not give a shit unless someone with the virus is confirmed to have coughed all over the convention center in the next two weeks.

They laxed their cancellation policy at least, might have a discussion with my boss about dropping this shit early next week if nothing changes. I'm not exactly thrilled about the idea of going at this point.

It's wild how different some companies are behaving with this.

My wife's company has eliminated all international travel, limiting domestic travel as much as possible, eliminating all large gatherings of any kind, and even shut down one of their main offices in St. Louis because one person was in contact with a known carrier.

There's also to be no shaking hands or physical contact along with all kinds of hand washing policies in place now.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
I know it's Joe Rogan but there is some good info in this

www.youtube.com

Joe Rogan Experience #1439 - Michael Osterholm

Michael Osterholm is an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology. He is Regents Professor, McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in...
Michael Osterholm is an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology. He is Regents Professor, McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), Distinguished Teaching Professor in the Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, a professor in the Technological Leadership Institute, College of Science and Engineering, and an adjunct professor in the Medical School, all at the University of Minnesota.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Houston for whatever reason (probably cause of the rodeo) is downplaying the situation....gonna be interesting to see the numbers in a couple of days to weeks

As I mentioned last night, it's been too quiet in Austin, and really all of Texas. With DFW and ABIA having international connections, and Houston proceeding with the rodeo despite having active cases, I expect it to explode in Texas in a week's time.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
One county in WA...

236 cases, 25 dead.

twitter.com

BNO Newsroom on Twitter

“BREAKING: King County, Washington reports 74 new cases of coronavirus and 2 new deaths, raising state's total to 236 cases and 25 dead https://t.co/eUoE2b20hL”

SerAardvark

Oct 25, 2017

My wife's company has eliminated all international travel, limiting domestic travel as much as possible, eliminating all large gatherings of any kind, and even shut down one of their main offices in St. Louis because one person was in contact with a known carrier.

There's also to be no shaking hands or physical contact along with all kinds of hand washing policies in place now.

My company has done the same, and basically has two offices in my area (including our biggest globally) working from home as much as possible for the entire month.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
One county in WA...

236 cases, 25 dead.

twitter.com

BNO Newsroom on Twitter

“BREAKING: King County, Washington reports 74 new cases of coronavirus and 2 new deaths, raising state's total to 236 cases and 25 dead https://t.co/eUoE2b20hL”

To be fair, it's a big ass county with 2+ million people

kc-map.gif

vastag

Oct 26, 2017
One county in WA...

236 cases, 25 dead.

twitter.com

BNO Newsroom on Twitter

That's how exponential growth works. At fist it looks like not much is happening, but once it starts going... oh boy. Several countries need to start taking some serious decisions or the health systems are going to collapse during the worst moments.

PapaGoob

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
Three of my co-workers flew to Boston to attend the MIT Sports Analytics conference last Friday and Saturday. I hope they didn't bring anything home with them...

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What do you think is the possible effect of COVID-19 to the primaries? I mean multiple states that are voting between today and the next 2 weeks are already on the list states with a state of emergency in place. I ask this as a non-American.

Rally's will be cancelled. It will be a talking point.

The important thing to note is all 3 current candidates are all geriatric men. AKA the most vulnerable.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Biogen. They make my MS medication which happens to be an immune suppressant....
Have you talked to your doctors about what the implications of taking an immunosuppressant drug during the coronavirus outbreak are? My sister is on some immunosuppressant drug and she hasn't really told me much about what her doctors have told her about it, if she's even really asked them at all. It makes me nervous.

ReactionShot

Oct 25, 2017
557 new cases in Spain, 1685 cases + 35 deaths (2.07%) in total.

It starts in Spain now. The situation in France will be out of control soon it seems.

Thebox

Dec 26, 2019
Only at the 1h mark but the basic notion is we're at the relative start of the outbreak and we can expect things to get worse. He predicts it will be 10 to 15 times worse than a normal flu season, primarily because healthcare systems are not ready.

Damn, 10-15 times worse than flu season?! I hope it does not come to that. I work in a ER and we already get hammered on a regular basis. We do not have the staff for this😞

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, calling out new cases and % increase doesn't mean much.

Health officials all knew they only had a fraction of actual infected cases. As more testing becomes available, cases will balloon in count. This does not mean more people are being infected. Just the reporting of it is better.

What I'm trying to say is, don't use those numbers and think "oh my god we are losing control"

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017

It appears to be business as usual for the Federal Govt. and contractors. You can work from home if you feel sick. That's it.

Stall_19

Oct 27, 2017
Once this is all over I want to know what happened in that seafood market in China to create such a thing.

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's Joe Rogan but there is some good info in this

www.youtube.com

Joe Rogan Experience #1439 - Michael Osterholm

Michael Osterholm is an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology. He is Regents Professor, McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in...
Listening to Michael speak is nice but we couldn't even make it 20 minutes in without Rogan asking about saunas curing the virus and why he doesn't die when he breathes in hot air. This guy, always bringing the conversation down.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just wanted to check and see where Miami, FL is at currently. I'm hearing from family members that there was a confirmed case in Broward, but with all the misinformation out there I wanted to check for an official word.

Also wondering if I should stack up on toilet paper at this point, as the idea of TP becoming scarce is a real nightmare scenario for me.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Have you talked to your doctors about what the implications of taking an immunosuppressant drug during the coronavirus outbreak are? My sister is on some immunosuppressant drug and she hasn't really told me much about what her doctors have told her about it, if she's even really asked them at all. It makes me nervous.

I have not. I imagine they would advise to stay on the drug because the risk of relapse is greater than catching coronavirus.