• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
Mandatory WFH "test day" on Thursday. It's absolute hell trying to get certain resources set up remotely. I've only worked from home before holidays where not much was going on so I'm not currently prepared for a normal workload out of office.

At least New York State seems to be taking the situation seriously, though I don't know how well they'll ultimately handle it.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly fairly certain its because we just don't have the infrastructure in place for most people to work from home...

But my companies stance is, home office employees shouldn't work from home because its not fair to the retail employees who have to keep the stores running. Which is so dumb.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
From what I understand Covid 19 generally doesn't manifest itself in heavy sneezing or even coughing (before onset of pneumonia). It usually starts with fever and muscle pain like the flu. I always find flu to be very distinct from my allergies.

I don't have covid19. I was just lamenting the current state of my allergies as others were.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This mofo doubling down so he can keep up the whole it's nbd/hoax for his supporters. At his age/health he's potentially dying to own the libs.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
France up to 1784 cases and 33 dead.

twitter.com

BNO Newsroom on Twitter

“UPDATE: France has reported 372 new cases of coronavirus today and 3 new deaths, raising total to 1,784 cases and 33 dead; at least 86 are seriously ill https://t.co/eUoE2b20hL”

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having everyone at my company work from home who can starting as soon as we get laptops in and set up for remote access to current workstations. Those who still need to be in the building for some things will be coming in only however many days per week they need in order to do those things, on staggered days. We are an engineering/manufacturing company, so many employees don't have the option of working from home. I'm toying with the idea of splitting the production line into two back to back shifts in order to halve the number of people in the building at a time. I have no clue how people will take to that idea, but everyone is pretty scared of this thing, so I'm optimistic that people will be OK with it for a short term solution.

It's a really difficult situation, people should have a little bit of sympathy for non-megacorps who are trying to plan around all of this.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

This mofo doubling down so he can keep up the whole it's nbd/hoax for his supporters. At his age/health he's potentially dying to own the libs.

It's just the Republican Playbook 101 - act against your best interest in order to hurt others as well.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Well nvm turns out they actually might be in the containment zone after all. Wonder if that means checkpoints and if people (ie me) are allowed to visit them.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
States with a State of Emergency

New Jersey
Ohio
Rhode Island
lllinois
Oregon
New York
Maryland
California
Washington
Pennsylvania
Flordia
Utah
Kentucky
North Carolina *Added Today*
Colorado *Added Today*

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm having everyone at my company work from home who can starting as soon as we get laptops in and set up for remote access to current workstations. Those who still need to be in the building for some things will be coming in only however many days per week they need in order to do those things, in shifts. We are a manufacturing company, so many employees don't have the option of working from home. I'm toying with the idea of splitting the production line into two back to back shifts in order to halve the number of people in the building at a time. I have no clue how people will take to that idea, but everyone is pretty scared of this thing, so I'm optimistic that people will be OK with it for a short term solution.

It's a really difficult situation, people should have a little bit of sympathy for non-megacorps who are trying to plan around all of this.
The US have access to pretty much free money right now and it can and should just give money businesses and people.
But the US government currently mostly care about the stock market and Trump's billionaire friends.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if my university will cancel classes. More and more people are getting infected in my state, and other big universities are cancelling classes. Knowing my school, they'll wait until the last minute possible. We're about to go on spring break as well, so students have a much higher chance of getting the coronavirus.
more then likely they're asking faculty to begin transferring courses into an online module like canvas. i dont think they want to refund all of those credit hours.

Fractology

Oct 28, 2017
I'm currently sitting in my classroom in PA and I have a splitting headache. I had what I thought was a cold 10 days ago (days before any US cases) and have generally been lethargic for the past few days. I'm just sitting around waiting to be told what to do by the local government.

I'm afraid to tell anyone...if I stay home and self quarantine I will chew through all of the sick days I'm allowed (and then some). It could easily be nothing, but there is NO DOUBT this virus has been festering in communities for weeks now. I feel terrible knowing that there's a small chance I'm infecting hundreds of students and their families. The official response from my school district is to follow CDC guidelines of "wash your hands etc etc" and self quarantine if you've traveled recently to a Level 3 threat country.

It's unclear if I'm expected to self-quarantine if I THINK I'm infected. Obviously I would love to...but we really do not get a lot of days to use (7 a year and I've used 2 already). Basically I'm sitting here with my fingers crossed that something will come on down to close the schools.

Goes without saying taking public transit to and from my school everyday is getting worrisome.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I booked so I could take a one-day class at a local school there which I know will get cancelled anyway. Other than that I just wanted to explore a bit and eat at different restaurants.
I'm currently sitting in my classroom in PA and I have a splitting headache. I had what I thought was a cold 10 days ago (days before any US cases) and have generally been lethargic for the past few days. I'm just sitting around waiting to be told what to do by the local government.

I'm afraid to tell anyone...if I stay home and self quarantine I will chew through all of the sick days I'm allowed (and then some). It could easily be nothing, but there is NO DOUBT this virus has been festering in communities for weeks now. I feel terrible knowing that there's a small chance I'm infecting hundreds of students and their families. The official response from my school district is to follow CDC guidelines of "wash your hands etc etc" and self quarantine if you've traveled recently to a Level 3 threat country.

It's unclear if I'm expected to self-quarantine if I THINK I'm infected. Obviously I would love to...but we really do not get a lot of days to use (7 a year and I've used 2 already). Basically I'm sitting here with my fingers crossed that something will come on down to close the schools.

Goes without saying taking public transit to and from my school everyday is getting worrisome.

why not go to a doctor?

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017

Have you had a single fever?

CaptNink

Oct 27, 2017
B.C, Canada
But my companies stance is, home office employees shouldn't work from home because its not fair to the retail employees who have to keep the stores running. Which is so dumb.

That's always been the argument for my company when it comes to working from home ("it's not fair to all employees....waaaahh") and it's such bullshit! They just don't "trust us" that we'll do any work at home.

BIG-JG

Oct 27, 2017

can you go to the clinic on campus? probably the smart thing to, instead of potentially infecting others,

WillRobBanks

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Wtf don't go to work sick, and go see a doctor. They will give you medical advice.

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017

Go to the Doctor. Sounds like this has gone on for too long, you need to get checked - for your safety and the safety of others. It's the responsible thing to go right now even if it wasn't coronavirus. You'll be looking out for many people.

I understand your fear of telling anyone - but walking around feeling ill and coughing (if that's your a symptom you're having) is pretty much telling everyone you're not well. Get well soon.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Friend talking to her customer's daughter today who her mum dropped off, oh you look sun kissed, get away on nice holiday?

Kid replies, umm, I'm not allowed to say, umm, Italy, it was nice.

Oh lovely, whereabouts?

Genoa.

deer6qkfu.jpg

Fractology

Oct 28, 2017
Wtf don't go to work sick, and go see a doctor. They will give you medical advice.

I only had a headache starting this morning. It was never anything that felt like a doctors visit until right now. I'm probably going to take the day off tomorrow and go to my primary care doctor. Haven't had a fever (unless I have one now, I haven't been able to check since I'm still at work).

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
For UK folks, Public Health England have put up a digital dashboard tracking all Covid-19 cases here.

ArcGIS Dashboards

ArcGIS Dashboards
This is brilliant. It includes historical trends in total and daily cases, which is great for understanding what is happening (and annoyingly is not something on the John Hopkins GIS site, unless I missed an option somewhere).
It makes it pretty easy to see that the UK growth is not currently a good fit to an exponential model. I was thinking of sharing a google sheet of the case data, but it's on my personal account which I'd rather not link, and I can't be arsed to set up a burner account for it.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
States with a State of Emergency

New Jersey
Ohio
Rhode Island
lllinois
Oregon
New York
Maryland
California
Washington
Pennsylvania
Flordia
Utah
Kentucky
North Carolina *Added Today*
Colorado *Added Today*

I wonder with NJ being declared yesterday I think, if my office will start working fully from home soon (right now we get one WFH day a week). Still nothing of the sort from management and not all schools are closed yet in NJ. So I guess they're probably waiting until it gets to that point I guess.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark up to 264

twitter.com

BNO Newsroom on Twitter

“BREAKING: Denmark reports sharp increase in cases of coronavirus, adding 174 cases in the past 24 hours, taking total to 264 https://t.co/eUoE2b20hL”

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
UK here... My employer is going full scale working from home as of Thursday until further notice... Crazy stuff but as they explained better to over react than be sorry later. Plus we have the ability to do it so it makes sense

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I'm honestly fairly certain its because we just don't have the infrastructure in place for most people to work from home...

I agree it's not fair. However, they SHOULD let those people off with pay if they show symptoms. They may need them to run, but it's better to pay them to not make your whole company sick.

So make it fair, and give everyone paid leave if possibly sick/contagious.

My wife is a teacher here, and they told them anyone that is sick is to stay home. Without pay, or they can use their paid leave (that they can't get back).

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Friend talking to her customer's daughter today who her mum dropped off, oh you look sun kissed, get away on nice holiday?

Kid replies, umm, I'm not allowed to say, umm, Italy, it was nice.

Oh lovely, whereabouts?

Genoa.

deer6qkfu.jpg

Woof. This reminds me of an experience from yesterday I've been meaning to share but have been too lazy to type.

My wife started a new job yesterday where she manages a large volunteer program at a local organization. A volunteer comes in yesterday afternoon to their office and goes, "So you know that coronavirus thing? My wife and I got back from South Korea five days ago. My wife is doing the self-quarantine thing, but neither of us have any symptoms; I feel fine! She's probably overreacting. So am I still good to volunteer?"

Obviously as most of in this thread know you can be asymptomatic for up to 14-days, but besides that, COULD YOU NOT HAVE CALLED TO ASK THIS QUESTION INSTEAD OF COMING IN PERSON???

Hopefully it's fine, but Jesus if this is the level of self-restraint America has about limiting social contact, we're screwed.

Last edited:

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
UK here... My employer is going full scale working from home as of Thursday until further notice... Crazy stuff but as they explained better to over react than be sorry later. Plus we have the ability to do it so it makes sense

More or less same here. We scaled up our infrastructure to support 10,000 people working from home. And are discussing on whether / when to stop coming to work and just work from home.

Based on more and more cases appearing in Stockholm, that would probably be sooner than later.

PieOMy

Nov 15, 2018
Boston
I have a splitting headache. I had what I thought was a cold 10 days ago (days before any US cases) and have generally been lethargic for the past few days.

I'm afraid to tell anyone...if I stay home and self quarantine I will chew through all of the sick days I'm allowed (and then some). I feel terrible knowing that there's a small chance I'm infecting hundreds of students and their families.

It's unclear if I'm expected to self-quarantine if I THINK I'm infected.

Go to the doctor. You're making assumptions and feeding into anxiety and paranoia. Its still flu season and you probably have the flu. Go to the doctor for your mind's sake.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I only had a headache starting this morning. It was never anything that felt like a doctors visit until right now. I'm probably going to take the day off tomorrow and go to my primary care doctor. Haven't had a fever (unless I have one now, I haven't been able to check since I'm still at work).

Go home. Now. (Words from New York mayor)

Lionheart360

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like my university will move to all online classes after Spring Break until the end of the semester.

It's gonna be a long couple of months

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This looks to be some good rules. Assisted living facilities need to be locked down ASAP, as they're the most vulnerable.

twitter.com

Mike Luery on Twitter

“At licensed assisted living facilities in California new rules in place include no group activities and now residents must eat in their rooms. https://t.co/YSvLqhBaqY”

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
More or less same here. We scaled up our infrastructure to support 10,000 people working from home. And are discussing on whether / when to stop coming to work and just work from home.

Based on more and more cases appearing in Stockholm, that would probably be sooner than later.

Yeah we scaled VPN capabilities up late last week. We have 2 departments that can't work from home without service disruption currently (CS, dispatch) but plans are underway for those. But yeah my last day in the office is tomorrow and that's only cos I have a new member to onboard etc.

I'm a data scientist so I work off aws vm instantances, dbs etc and we use slack, teams and Jira so it's easy to work from home for me.. just hard inducting a guy who started on Monday into the business... Slack will be getting hammered