• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
What does everyone think the actual US numbers are at right now? 2000~? 3000~?

I'm curious how much community transmission hasn't been tested yet.

It blew my mind that as of late last week, BC (the province) had tested double the amount of people as the entire US.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Loving that my workplace's last update was a general email two weeks ago telling us to wash our hands and maybe consider not going to China.

I don't know what I'm expecting - they won't even close the office in the middle of a snowstorm. Capitalism sucks.

May 24, 2019
Apparently my country, New Zealand, has 9000 people in self-isolation, but only 5 confirmed cases.
That seems disproportionate.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if my university will cancel classes. More and more people are getting infected in my state, and other big universities are cancelling classes. Knowing my school, they'll wait until the last minute possible. We're about to go on spring break as well, so students have a much higher chance of getting the coronavirus.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

It blew my mind that as of late last week, BC (the province) had tested double the amount of people as the entire US.
I don't think anybody has any idea, and they are 100% lying about testing capacity.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There is probably so much community transmission that is not being caught because of lack of testing. It would definitely be nice to know accurate numbers of the infected but the trump admin doesnt give a fuck.

I dont believe for a second that they are actually going to be testing millions.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It will be impossible to know the US number.

I have good insurance. Despite this if I feel a little under the weather I just drink more water, get vitamins, maybe stay at home a day or 2 and rest and get over it. Why bother with a copay?

Unless there is a way to get testing for free and have it be fast and widespread there will be hundreds, thousands of cases that will come and go without being reported considering 80%+ of infections are mild or borderline no symptoms.***

**This statistic is also based on the number of REPORTED AND TRACKED cases. So in all liklihood the percentage of cases that are so mild you think nothing of it is much higher.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
My parents (70+) want to keep doing what they always do. They have a very Keep Calm and Carry On/Spirit of the Blitz attitude. I'm trying to make them see that this is more like refusing to turn your lights off at night during the Blitz. It's not just you who the bombs land on.
That prototypical stiff upper lip is great sometimes, but you're right that this is a rare case where being obstinate is just inviting trouble. I'm not sure I support a full lock-down in the UK just yet, but people do need to wise up to the idea that making a communal sacrifice to stop something potentially fatal in its tracks is preferable to us all weathering that potential lethality.

I'm wrestling with something myself tonight: I work from home full-time and barely ever leave the hosue, so I'm the least-likely transmission vector there is, but I'm supposed to be an expo in Manchester tomorrow. The expo is going ahead, although one speaker has pulled out. Part of me wants to go - it's a good business opportunity - but the other part recognises that I'm probably inviting trouble myself if I do.

Oct 25, 2017
my workplace has all managers planning for outbreak handling, workplace contingencies, and shift spacing if we need to have basically everyone work from home

we also waived all copays for telemedicine, and corona testing

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully this actually works.

twitter.com

The White House on Twitter

“"All of the insurance companies here ... have agreed to waive all co-pays on Coronavirus testing and extend coverage for Coronavirus treatment in all of their benefit plans." https://t.co/Lmq30IohGD”

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
Wouldn't it be safer for everyone involved if they just let them stay? Why risk exposure travelling? Give them the option to stay or go home.

I would assume that a lot of those dorms have some sort of communal bathrooms so it would be a situation worse than the cruise ships if they had to isolate a dorm. I know when i was in school we had dorms, which are still in use, with 2 central bathrooms on each floor of 48ish people. So if one person got it the 24 guys on that side of the floor were almost assured to get it. Also simple liability.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It will be impossible to know the US number.

I have good insurance. Despite this if I feel a little under the weather I just drink more water, get vitamins, maybe stay at home a day or 2 and rest and get over it. Why bother with a copay?

Unless there is a way to get testing for free and have it be fast and widespread there will be hundreds, thousands of cases that will come and go without being reported considering 80%+ of infections are mild or borderline no symptoms.***

**This statistic is also based on the number of REPORTED AND TRACKED cases. So in all liklihood the percentage of cases that are so mild you think nothing of it is much higher.
Testing is one thing, and I states are trying to force insurance companies to cover it for free (I say trying, because with insurance, you never know if they really cover it until you bill them), but I think we need to start talking about hospitalization.
2-3 weeks of ICU will bankrupt a whole lot of people.

I personally feel you don't even fuck with insurance companies and straight tell hospitals to not charge for that and the government will pay them some money at the back end or the front end or whatever. They make a ton of money anyway.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
There is probably so much community transmission that is not being caught because of lack of testing. It would definitely be nice to know accurate numbers of the infected but the trump admin doesnt give a fuck.

I dont believe for a second that they are actually going to be testing millions.

NC governor said they are developing their own test kits because the CDC has only provided them with 300 kits for the whole state. North Carolina has a population of 10 million people.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here in Washington I see a lot of trees about the bloom. Spring is coming.

Can't help but think of all the people who are gonna get allergies and think they have Corona... Potentially flooding testing.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
They JUST released thr figures, its 373. I was bracing for a much bigger surge because of the tweet you linked. Thank lord its still under 400.

*Exhales*

They also shot above the 26k mark for tests. Keep it up.

I like to know what the venerable campfreddie thinks about today's numbers. They have had excellent posts about the figures from many of the affected countries.
The UK figures are good to see. Based on yesterday, about 425 cases would have been the exponential trend expectation. The trend over the last week is closer to a linear rise than an exponential.
It's way to early to be sure since we don't have enough data (e.g. Italy also showed a roughly linear trend 1-2 weeks ago, which gave me false hope at the time).
Optimistically, it could mean that people in the UK have adjusted their behaviour somewhat, and that his has moved us away from exponential conditons. Given the incubation/detection time, changes in behaviour take a few days to be reflected in the case numbers and it's been a week since it became obvious the virus was spreading here instead of being limited to people returning from holidays.

Doing confidence stats on the total cases is arguably a bit silly, since you're comparing to a null hypothesis of "the case number is not changing". That might be useful for convincing Donald Trump, but it's really weighting the odds in favour of finding something statistically different to the null hypothesis.

So, I also decided to plot the daily increase vs. time, instead of the total detected vs time. This is me getting nerd-sniped.
The mathematical beauty of an exponential equation is that the curve shape gives zero fucks about calculus. By definition, an exponential function is one where the total number and rate of change (i.e. new cases per day) are both exponential, because the derivative of e^x = e^x.
The real world isn't so mathematically pure, so the rate of change data should be more sensitive than the total case numbers.
Graphs of total case numbers can "look" exponential just because the the rate of new cases increases over time, but it isn't truly exponential unless that rate of new cases is also exponentially increasing.

In Italy the daily new cases over time is also exponential. I can't be arsed to do a proper non-linear fit with stats programs, but a shitty spreadsheet's log fit gives me r-squared of 0.96 for rate of change vs time. That isn't proof of exponential growth, but it's a strong sign. A linear fit only gives R2 of 0.7, so we can be pretty sure that not only is the number of cases increasing (COVID is real), the number of new cases per day are increasing (paging Donald Trump), and that they're increasing by an ever-increasing rate (oh fuck). That's about as close as you'll get to proving an exponential growth is occurring.

Elsewhere In Europe though, the daily new cases plots are a mixed picture.
UK has an R-squared of 0.5 which is the statistical equivalent of that shrugging ASCII emoji thing. A linear fit also gives R-squared of 0.5, so you really can't say what's going on. The number of "cases per day" is going up by some value or other, I guess.
France and Germany are also pretty bad for exponential fits of daily new cases, with r-squared of 0.6 and 0.7.
I'm ignoring datapoints below 50 total cases since they'll be dominated by imported cases and not community spread. This means there's less data for the UK (only fitting 7 datapoints for the rate of change) and other countries (10 for France and Germany) so you'd expect less reliable fits. Just one datapoint can make a big difference, and COVID testing is far from an unbiased sample of the population.
If you're wondering how you can be both confident and also not confident of exponential growth, depending on which method you use to analyse the data, then welcome to the wonderful world of stats.

TL;DR - It's way too early to make conclusions about the UK case growth based on statistical analysis because the data are too messy and there aren't enough datapoints. Maybe we'll follow Italy's trend, but it's about equally possible (from a statistical point of view, not a mechanistic one) that we will not. Italy's case numbers could literally be used as a textbook example of exponential growth. Now wash your hands.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle

Can't help but think of all the people who are gonna get allergies and think they have Corona... Potentially flooding testing.

My allergies are already kicking in, same with my wife. Lots of cherry trees and other blossoms already out in force here in North Seattle. We know better, but not everyone does.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017

Anecdotally, my seasonal allergies never manifest themselves in what I understand COVID-19 to be. Always just extremely itchy eyes, runny nose and sneezing.

Oct 25, 2017

Funny thing is I have the absolute worst allergies everywhere I've lived on the east coast as in I basically lived on allergy medicine daily but here in western Washington I have absolutely zero allergies.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Got the go ahead for work from home. They said we might need to show up if it's required but I will try to avoid being in the office as much as possible.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
My family is in New Rochelle. They apparently are outside the containment zone by a quarter of a mile. Shit.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
You should call your physician and get instructions before you do anything. If you don't have one, call the urgent care before you go in. They will have specific instructions on how to approach this.
I was wondering this more what to do if you got symptoms and my local npr station said to first contact your general practioner and if you have a severe fever go to the emergency room and let the intake nurse know right away what's going on.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
Do we know if COVID-19 can be transmitted through the GI tract? Though there's always a risk of it going to the respiratory tract during the act of chewing/swallowing.
Granted I'm no expert but I think if it gets in your mouth your pretty screwed. It infects you through mucous membranes in your mouth, eyes, and nose. Sure some of it will get into your digestive tract and probably be harmless, but all it takes is a little bit of the virus to stay behind in your mouth to infect you.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny thing is I have the absolute worst allergies everywhere I've lived on the east coast as in I basically lived on allergy medicine daily but here in western Washington I have absolutely zero allergies.

lol I'm literally the exact opposite. Grew up in New England with zero allergies.

First year in Western Washington and I finally understand what people with allergies feel like.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Isn't that part of the problem?

A lot of cases have very mild symptoms. Symptoms you would normally shrug off, pop some OTC meds, and go about your normal business.
Luckily people are warned now. I kind of think that was the problem in China and Italy. Compounded by new years and spring holiday. People were like this is not coronavirus, just a cold, I'm not going to spend my holiday locked in my room for that.
It seems like it's not doing that big exponential increase in other countries (due to lack of testing also, but that still means there are less severe cases because younger people self isolate before coming in contact with elderly).

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Got another "we're keeping an eye on things" email from the uni I work at in TN, though it did say preparations are underway in case the campus closes and goes to a work/learn from home situation. Spring break's next week and I think that's throwing a wrench in planning.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I'm in buffalo ny and since Sunday night my allergies have been in an all out war against my body. It's been brutal.
From what I understand Covid 19 generally doesn't manifest itself in heavy sneezing or even coughing (before onset of pneumonia). It usually starts with fever and muscle pain like the flu. I always find flu to be very distinct from my allergies.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
My office in TN is not quite at "don't come to work," but we've been informed that we all need to make sure to take our work materials home with us at the end of each day until further notice.