• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im so sca
How are my fellow anxiety-ERA folks doing? Had a pretty bad anxiety spell last night where I was convinced I was getting a fever. Checked it like 3 times over the course of the night and it never went higher than 98.4.

I really need to take a step back. I've managed to stop checking the coronavirus subreddit so that's good. But working in NYC is really taking it's toll on me. I just wish my company would make the call and let us work from home. I keep asking, "What are they waiting for?" but I probably already know - until an employee gets sick.

i feel like crap. With this virus and the stock market crash it literally feels like end times. Im having trouble living my life normally while it feels like society around me is collapsing

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's bad. I'm high risk so that is making my anxiety a lot worse. I'm trying to balance the desire to stay informed with not reading social media/the news constantly but it's tough. I'm in the office now, but thankfully I work from home 3 days a week anyway so I'm just trying to be diligent about washing my hands frequently when I'm in the office and I'm limiting my time spent in public places.

Going to try to be better about mindfulness meditation, too, the next couple of weeks because that can help.

Hang in there! My sister is also in NYC, and she's also high risk (thanks, genetics) so she's really worried as well. Just keep washing your hands and hopefully your company will let you work from home.

If you don't mind me asking, what does high risk mean in your case?

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Video is pretty accurate. People have been assaulting each other in the supermarkets over toilet paper in NSW.
I'm aware of the other videos. This one was clearly manufactured for dramatic effect. These folks are in a panic, and with that considered, the video itself is very civil. I just find it gross that they edited it with the music to make it seem like a shot from a movie.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
My fellow era members in Austria, i Know the measures so far have been ...slow, but they just did some big measures after Italy got locked down, what do you all think about them? To me they seem drastic, but needed.

How are things on the ground?

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
RBC has evacuated a whole floor of their office building in Missisauga, Canada.

www.cp24.com

Whole floor of RBC workers in Mississauga in self-quarantine after employee diagnosed with COVID-19

Dozens of workers at Royal Bank of Canada’s Mississauga Meadowvale campus are now in self-isolation at home after an employee there tested positive for COVID-19.

Dozens of workers at Royal Bank of Canada's Mississauga Meadowvale campus are now in self-isolation at home after an employee there tested positive for COVID-19.

RBC spokesperson Gillian McArdle told BNN Bloomberg that an employee at the Meadowvale complex at 6880 Financial Drive in Mississauga has been at home in self-isolation since late last week with a suspected case of the novel coronavirus.

The Public Health Ontario lab in Toronto since confirmed her diagnosis and McArdle said the whole floor she worked on was sent home.

"As a precautionary measure, we immediately advised employees who work on the same floor to self-quarantine until further notice, and we immediately undertook a disinfecting of the impacted floor and in all common areas, including elevators, cafeteria and washrooms," she said.

The COVID-19 patient remains at home in self-isolation and is in good condition.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wife just came home sick. She was feeling fine last night. Woke up this morning just feeling a bit fatigued, but got to work and realized she was definitely sick, not just tired. No fever. Just tired and a bit achy. Currently the closest covid19 report around here is Chicago which is a few hours away. So, surely just a cold. Now I sit and wait for the sickness to take me.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Virgin Atlantic are flying ghost planes to keep their slots at Heathrow

Oct 31, 2017

tadale

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Checking-in from ATL:

I live and work inside the city. Mostly walk everywhere I go, rarely ride the train. The state has about 17 confirmed and presumptive cases as of this morning. Local schools are closed because a teacher is one of the confirmed cases; a daycare worker in the Atlanta suburbs tested positive yesterday.

I work in a big office and every day there are fewer and fewer people coming in. Also way fewer people on the streets - people seem to be taking it very seriously and already limiting their interactions as much as possible. All non-essential travel at my company is halted; some international offices are mandated work from home. My boss is in self-quarantine for two weeks after traveling abroad. I basically expect them to close all offices soon and go completely virtual for the first time.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Sad to see so many people don't give a fuck about the italian situation when the same could happen in any other contry, making jokes on this.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
My fellow era members in Austria, i Know the measures so far have been ...slow, but they just did some big measures after Italy got locked down, what do you all think about them? To me they seem drastic, but needed.

I know a few people at the University of Innsbruck (PhDs and other faculty members, mostly) and they're at a loss about how they're supposed to do their classes online. The infrastructure to do that at a large scale simply isn't there.

Otherwise, I really have to think hard about my next travel plans. I don't think I'll be infected, but coming back might become somewhat more difficult...

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Fuck. It's gonna spread out here. There are 3 possible cases in the Lake County area, friend works for the health department there and they're being tested.

People are dumb as shit. Stop traveling, going on cruises and take this seriously.
They
It is good to see the very stable genius is on the case instead of having a meltdown on twitter.

cURaX6U.png
Checking-in from ATL:

I live and work inside the city. Mostly walk everywhere I go, rarely ride the train. The state has about 17 confirmed and presumptive cases as of this morning. Local schools are closed because a teacher is one of the confirmed cases; a daycare worker in the Atlanta suburbs tested positive yesterday.

I work in a big office and every day there are fewer and fewer people coming in. Also way fewer people on the streets - people seem to be taking it very seriously and already limiting their interactions as much as possible. All non-essential travel at my company is halted; some international offices are mandated work from home. My boss is in self-quarantine for two weeks after traveling abroad. I basically expect them to close all offices soon and go completely virtual for the first time.

Driving into work yesterday was a ghost town. Almost like a holiday. I work next to the Lennox mall. Definitely feels like less people are out and about.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
I cant believe how many people on the train are still grabbing the railing, scratching their face and then grabbing it again. like come on, its super gross even without the virus considering there are homeless guys sleeping in the back of the cabin

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

There is a point there, we don't have to go in full lockdown mode. South Korea is managing this crisis and is flattening the curve without closing its transporation.

edit: Removed tweet to dubious account

Last edited:

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
I'm suppose to board an airplane for Dallas/Fort Worth in an hour, but I ain't going. How many here have decided to stay home instead of flying?
Just flew home to Texas for my grand dads funeral. Going to Orlando next week. Life has to move on. I am taking precautions necessary, I wiped my seat and table down when I flew.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

Reasonable measures in an attempt to flatten the infection curve.
Imho a week too late. (especially given that they're not going to go in effect before Monday next week)

I know a few people at the University of Innsbruck (PhDs and other faculty members, mostly) and they're at a loss about how they're supposed to do their classes online. The infrastructure to do that at a large scale simply isn't there.

Otherwise, I really have to think hard about my next travel plans. I don't think I'll be infected, but coming back might become somewhat more difficult...

Yup, friend who works in a bank (smaller and large business financing and stuff) says that local travel agencies are currently experiencing so many cancellations and have experienced days without any bookings.

I, too, wouldn't book a trip abroad right now - not because i'm afraid of getting sick, but:
* Will i have issues coming back due to an outbreak at my destination during my trip?
* Will public life / events be canceled at my destination? Will i miss out on a lot of stuff because of measures taken by the local governments?
* Will my trip get canceled altogether because, at the day of departure, Austria has become a "banned country of origin" in my destination.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im so sca

i feel like crap. With this virus and the stock market crash it literally feels like end times. Im having trouble living my life normally while it feels like society around me is collapsing
Just know you can only control you. And remember humanity been through much worse. WWI, WWII, Black Death, Ancient Plagues, Great Depression.

And it's always a good Idea to step away from the news. I beat Halo 5 for the first time this weekend, Finished Uncharted 2 again and started Yakuza 0 and Gears 5. Also watched Goodfellas for the 10th time last night. Great to turn off the news.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
Driving into work yesterday was a ghost town. Almost like a holiday. I work next to the Lennox mall. Definitely feels like less people are out and about.

I had the opposite experience last week. Normally Fridays aren't so busy. People come in later, work from home, etc. There was a ton more traffic than usual. I guessed people would rather take ride share or pay to park than get on the train.

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
Not German, but I've been looking at various countries' numbers.
It is very hard to accurately predict timelines on an exponential (or approximately exponential) rise. You can make pretty-looking graphs that look really accurate for past data, but extrapolating into the future is very difficult.
With that caveat, Germany, the UK and France are all roughly on track with Italian numbers, but about 1-2 weeks behind.
The spread might turn out to be different (especially if the Italian situation causes other Europeans to be more careful), but I would not be surprised if we all enter similar lockdowns in about 2 weeks.
The German numbers are more variable than other countries (UK, IT, FR), and are the worst fit to an exponential curve. The Italian numbers are an almost perfect fit, which is both worrying and good. Worrying because an exponential spread with a doubling time of around 3 to 3.5 days is really nasty, but good because the effect of the new quarrantine should be easy to spot in future data, which will help other countries to know if they should do the same.

The numbers show that South Korea's quarantine measures (I'm not sure exactly what they're doing) are continuing to improve their control of the spread, so there is hope for Italy.
Oh, there's also a mistake in the English official press release from the Korean CDC. They've flipped the ages of the deaths in the chart, so it looks like children are dying instead of the elderly. So if you see any stories about dead Korean children later today, they're wrong and that's why (so far it only has about 1000 page views, so maybe someone will correct it before the rest of the world notices).

Cheers for the detailed response!

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those over the age of 60 should start stocking up on enough groceries and medications to have on hand, the CDC said

Ya know, it's not like most people can just stroll down to the local corner store and self quarantine, because a significant chunk of that age bracket is working, and getting those supplies means going to a supermarket, which are going to be swamped in that scenario

There is definitely a sense of fatalism at work here.
Misread, apologize.

Garfield

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
The number of UK coronavirus cases has risen to 373, the government has announced.

The Department of Health and Social Care said: "As of 9am on 10 March 2020, 26,261 people have been tested in the UK, of which 25,888 were confirmed negative and 373 were confirmed as positive.

"Six patients who tested positive for Covid-19 have died."

The latest figures mark a rise of 54 cases since the same time on Monday.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I cant believe how many people on the train are still grabbing the railing, scratching their face and then grabbing it again. like come on, its super gross even without the virus considering there are homeless guys sleeping in the back of the cabin
I have to take the subway in the morning, but I've been making sure to grab any railings, handles, straps with my sleeve

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Checking-in from ATL:

All I know about what's going outside is that my parents are going to grocery stores, and barely finding anything. Family is terrified of going outside and I personally am only going out on Fridays to attend Friday prayer at a mosque.

My dad went to the mosque yesterday and they're apparently spraying the entire building and everything that is regularly touched by people with alcohol.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if the US is doing demographic and detailed reporting like Ontario seems to be? I really dig their format and transparency.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if the US is doing demographic and detailed reporting like Ontario seems to be? I really dig their format and transparency.

Some of the individual states might have that but the CDC was still trying to get everything set up to where private hospitals/doctors, etc. had to report results back as of last night (per what they said at the press conference).

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017

They JUST released thr figures, its 373. I was bracing for a much bigger surge because of the tweet you linked. Thank lord its still under 400.

*Exhales*

They also shot above the 26k mark for tests. Keep it up.

I like to know what the venerable campfreddie thinks about today's numbers. They have had excellent posts about the figures from many of the affected countries.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
My wife woke up in the middle of the night with a cough and a sore throat. She immediately rushed herself off to the guest room. No other symptoms but everything that looks a little like COVID-19 is unnerving as hell.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Im so sca

When you think everything is falling apart, just remember: When Iran threw a bunch of missiles at a few US bases, a bunch of people here were screaming that World War III and were calling people idiots if they were wondering if the USA was at war. As we can see, that didn't come to pass.

That was a dicey situation that could have gone south, but people tend to confuse potential with certainty and assumed the worst. Similarly here, a pandemic of COVID-19 would be terrible, and it would be extremely disastrous if completely ignored. But, realistically, it's not going to end the world or send us back to the stone age. At this point the biggest thing we have to fear is literally fear itself; people going crazy and paranoid because they can't react except either at 0 or 100% to a crises.

[I mean, seriously? What is with all the toilet paper? You know that you're not going to use that much toilet paper any time soon.]