• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty shocked that there aren't reported cases in Austin yet. With us having an international airport, I've figured it's only a matter of time until it's here. Going to have to figure out some measures to ensure the wife doesn't get it, as she already has small bronchials, and also just came off of her round of radiation for breast cancer. My 18yo works in fast food, and we have one 8th grader and one toddler in day care. The 13yo has bad lungs, too.

I really don't even know how to best handle this. Blarg.

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Undoubtedly there are a lot cases going untested (although I seriously doubt the US and Europe are testing every case either), but I don't see how they can fake the death count. The entire country is in kind of a self-imposed lockdown at the moment, schools are shut down, theme parks and large entertainment gatherings are closed until at least March 16. People are generally very conscientious about wearing masks, washing hands, etc. That, coupled with the fact that it isn't really a handshaking/kissing each other on the cheek greeting culture like Italy, the numbers don't seem that unbelievable.

No country is going to catch every case. South Korea has done by far the best so far, and even then numbers are still slowly going up. There are probaly dozens of countries that are vastly under reporting right now (most are probably not for nefarious reasons) and is why we are going to see this virus around a long time.

Kormora

Nov 7, 2017
It's mandated and highly recommended at many places, also the sales to regular people is rationed. While it may not protect you from the virus completely, it can help reduce the spread of virus unknowingly. I think Western countries should learn from it.

Masks are useful because you touch your face less when you wear them as well.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also, I wish Asian countries would stop buying all these masks. They do nothing to prevent the virus and all they do is hurt healthcare workers who need it.
Sorry, that NYT piece made me see red so I missed that part.
If your government can't provide masks for you, blame your government, or if your theory is that the free market is the best way to allocate resources at all times, maybe rethink this.
Don't blame Asia.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
I'm in Italy and this is the first day after the global lockdown yesterday.
It's a very bad situation for several reasons, hospitals are now full of people and it's impossible to manage car accidents or any kind of a problem, resulting people to die even for questions unrelated from Covid itself.
I should have started working this month and I was under unemployement, which will end in five days.
Stores after the government announcement yesterday were full of people, like 200-300 people in front of the store, and clerks made people go 2 by 2.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
So China did surpress the virus, but was too late in acting due to the local Government's actions letting the virus out worldwide. There is no containing it for any country now that doesn't completely isolate itself from the world.
While there certainly is room to criticize Wuhan's initial reaction to the epidemic, it still seems like laser-focused greased lightning compared to what a lot of developed countries are doing. And that's after giving the rest of the world a full month of extra time to prepare. Hell compare Wuhan's approach to what the US federal government is doing, and I'd imagine that anyone is going to prefer the former.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Masks are useful because you touch your face less when you wear them as well.
Again, a belief not based on science. It is all psychological:

"Some believe that wearing a mask reduces how many times they touch their nose and mouth, "but there aren't any data to support that that's a useful intervention," Schaffner says. Other reasons are purely psychological. One stems from the fear of losing control to a virus we know little about preventing. "There's not much we can do, so we're all walking around feeling rather victimized by this virus," says Schaffner. "By using a mask, even if it doesn't do a lot, it moves the locus of control to you, away from the virus. It gives the individual a greater sense of control in this otherwise not-controlled situation."

time.com

Public Health Experts Keep Changing Their Guidance on Whether or Not to Wear Face Masks for Coronavirus

The government and most health experts keep telling the public not to wear face masks for coronavirus. So why are they doing it anyway?

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
While there certainly is room to criticize Wuhan's initial reaction to the epidemic, it still seems like laser-focused greased lightning compared to what a lot of developed countries are doing. And that's after giving the rest of the world a full month of extra time to prepare. Hell compare Wuhan's approach to what the US federal government is doing, and I'd imagine that anyone is going to prefer the former.
Italy is doing basically the same. We'll see how well it works in the long run, but I believe it will only surpress it, not contain it, which is fine to give hospitals some breathing room but the economic consequences will be very severe.

YourFriend

Nov 15, 2017
My Dad told me his buddy "needed" to get something from our house and that I would need to help him. His buddy shows up with his girlfriend and another guy and 2 of them had very chesty coughs almost nonstop within close proximity to me. I would say the longest either went without coughing was 30 seconds. We just had an announced case maybe 30 minutes from me close to the border of Minnesota and Wisconsin, which is very close to where I am located. What he needed to get from the house was very much not something essential or time sensitive. I know the risk of him having the virus right now is low, but even if he and his girlfriend just had really bad coughs, I find it amazing that people are absolutely unbothered by potentially getting other people sick.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

"Some believe that wearing a mask reduces how many times they touch their nose and mouth, "but there aren't any data to support that that's a useful intervention," Schaffner says. Other reasons are purely psychological. One stems from the fear of losing control to a virus we know little about preventing. "There's not much we can do, so we're all walking around feeling rather victimized by this virus," says Schaffner. "By using a mask, even if it doesn't do a lot, it moves the locus of control to you, away from the virus. It gives the individual a greater sense of control in this otherwise not-controlled situation."

time.com

Public Health Experts Keep Changing Their Guidance on Whether or Not to Wear Face Masks for Coronavirus

The government and most health experts keep telling the public not to wear face masks for coronavirus. So why are they doing it anyway?
China has more experience with this virus than any country, and their virologists have shown themselves to be world class here, seriously, fucking heroes.
They are mandating masks in public in most places.
Taiwan, who is handling it really well pretty much nationalized their masks industry.
What is your theory about why they're doing this?

The US has really not managed the supply of this well, because free market, and like yeah, if there isn't enough it should go to at risk populations first and hospital staff, but I'm not sure I'm buying that if there was enough for everyone the CDC wouldn't have strongly recommended everyone in Seattle should wear one in public.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017

time.com

I want to hear from these experts how they feel if they have to take crowded public transportation everyday and see people often cough without covering their mouths.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
They are mandating masks in public in most places.
Taiwan, who is handling it really well pretty much nationalized their masks industry.
What is your theory about why they're doing this?
for starters they wear masks far more often there and I'd venture a guess the populace would look at them side eyed if they didn't recommend it. It's a placating gesture. Secondly, any science behind it is almost certainly due to them wanting to stop an infected person from spreading by coughing without a mask.

I'm not sure why you're so weirdly defensive about the facts that masks aren't that effective a preventative measure for healthy people
Thanks, that second link has what I was looking for. Shame they don't have the same charts for Japan that they have for China and SK etc.
Here are some more regional focused results if you're interested. They have the same "time line" graphic that the original poster dropped about France.

I'm pretty shocked that there aren't reported cases in Austin yet. With us having an international airport, I've figured it's only a matter of time until it's here. Going to have to figure out some measures to ensure the wife doesn't get it, as she already has small bronchials, and also just came off of her round of radiation for breast cancer. My 18yo works in fast food, and we have one 8th grader and one toddler in day care. The 13yo has bad lungs, too.

I really don't even know how to best handle this. Blarg.
I was just thinking the same thing about New Orleans today when I saw we just got our first case. It was only a matter of time. Port city with millions of tourists a year and a large, oft used, convention center.

I'm in the hospitality industry too so I'm definitely worried. Not only am I surrounded by people all the time but my income will likely dry up to nothing if it gets real bad here in the next couple of weeks. Still, I'll be grateful if money is my only worry. I went to college in Austin and I love the city so I'll keep my fingers crossed for yall

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
Another reason for mandating masks on everyone in public places is probably because of asymptomatic carriers spreading the virus.

I do think it went overboard though.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017

time.com

"There isn't any data" just means that that aspect of it hasn't been properly studied, not that it isn't true. What little research there is on face mask efficacy is inconsistent but many studies show that they're somewhat effective. It is not entirely psychological.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
As long as the person doesn't cough on you you should be fine. Just keeping your hands in your pocket is probably more effective than wearing a mask in this case.

If the person coughing was wearing a mask then it reduces the risk for everyone. So if everyone wears one then there's less problem, when supply isn't an issue.

Last edited:

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people talking about the US supply of masks as if we manufacture them here? That capacity was all "free traded" away from our shores. We are completely at the mercy of other nations to send us masks. Even worse, we're in the same position for almost all of our medicine as well.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
for starters they wear masks far more often there and I'd venture a guess the populace would look at them side eyed if they didn't recommend it. It's a placating gesture. Secondly, any science behind it is almost certainly due to them wanting to stop an infected person from spreading by coughing without a mask.

I'm not sure why you're so weirdly defensive about the facts that masks aren't that effective a preventative measure for healthy people
You think Taiwan set up 60 production lines because "placating gesture"?
I think you're asking very very little from your government.

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
Lol I don't care what the US gov say. I'm wearing my masks if I'm out in public area. Fuck getting cough on by all those people

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
You think Taiwan set up 60 production lines because "placating gesture"?
I think you're asking very very little from your government.
I said for starters. My second point was pretty clearly about preventing those who are infected from spreading it (not those who are not from receiving it). As for how "my government" is handling it, well I didn't vote for trump so, unsurprisingly, I'm not very pleased with it. Luckily for me I don't feel the need to defend the government every time they fuck something up

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As long as the person doesn't cough on you you should be fine. Just keeping your hands in your pocket is probably more effective than wearing a mask in this case.

I find that with mask frequently I realize i cannot touch my face.

Without it it would happen very frequently.

Remeber that surgical mask are waterproof, will block droplet

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to have to snitch on my dad, he's in Palm Springs till Saturday, they have 4 cases now. My mom isn't going to want him coming home. He just HAD to go 🙄

Very sad to see Italy/Spain/France/half the EU countries numbers jump so much today, as well as our first death in BC and Canada. I really hope Italy's quarantine works.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Also, I wish Asian countries would stop buying all these masks. They do nothing to prevent the virus and all they do is hurt healthcare workers who need it.

If the mask don't work, then health worker won't need it?
And if it work, then why can't the public wear it?

But here in Taiwan, you can't just go buy mask randomly, you need to have a national insurance card, and you're limited to 3 per week, 5 if you're underage and the government is allowing the public to buy them still.
And our government is making more mask, enough for the public and health worker.
So I don't understand the need to not be safe to yourself.

"Food and Drug Administration Director-General Wu Shou-mei (吳秀梅) said the installation of more production lines in recent weeks has increased capacity in Taiwan to around 8.2 million surgical masks per day.

That increase makes it possible for the government to allocate 5.2 million masks per day for consumers, up from the previous 3.9 million masks per day, Wu said.

The rest of the masks are reserved for use by medical personnel and epidemic prevention workers."

focustaiwan.tw

New rules to boost weekly face mask purchase quota - Focus Taiwan

Taipei, March 2 (CNA) Taiwan residents will soon be allowed to buy an additional surgical face mask a week amid rising production of the masks, which are in high demand to combat the novel coronavirus, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Monday.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I said for starters. My second point was pretty clearly about preventing those who are infected from spreading it (not those who are not from receiving it). As for how "my government" is handling it, well I didn't vote for trump so, unsurprisingly, I'm not very pleased with it. Luckily for me I don't feel the need to defend the government every time they fuck something up
They don't vote for the president in China and they still demand more from their government than in the US.
You see traces of it in this thread, but trust me, there is way more of it in Chinese social media.
It's depressing.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I'm very worried about a relative who lives in Italy, and from whom I have no news (he tends to answer quickly, if only to say jokes, so him going radio silence is actually concerning). So far, the rest of my family seems to be fine, and work doesn't seem impacted (yet), but I'm not exactly reassured. Take care of yourselves, and please be careful.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Hostility
They don't vote for the president in China and they still demand more from their government than in the US.
You see traces of it in this thread, but trust me, there is way more of it in Chinese social media.
It's depressing.
Fucking LOL. So far I've seen traces of a defense force for the national Chinese party. Your incessant need to defend China in every thread you're in is tiring chikor. I'm not sure what exactly the Chinese people are doing any differently than Americans to resist in small ways but to imply that somehow we're all sitting on our laurels is fucking insulting and you should be ashamed of your ignorance and bias

Edit: just as a side note my best friend has lived in China well over a decade, his wife is Chinese and he owns a restaurant in Shanghai so I'm not exactly completely ignorant of the intricacies of China

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
My wife and some friends and coworkers are nurses...

One of our friends was saying that at the Hospital where they work (and this has happened at others I'm told), people are stealing medical supplies from the hospital. Especially masks. So now they are short on supplies for staff and patients.

People get crazy during this shit.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking LOL. So far I've seen traces of a defense force for the national Chinese party. Your incessant need to defend China in every thread you're in is tiring chikor. I'm not sure what exactly the Chinese people are doing any differently than Americans to resist in small ways but to imply that somehow we're all sitting on our laurels is fucking insulting and you should be ashamed of your ignorance and bias

Edit: just as a side note my best friend has lived in China well over a decade, his wife is Chinese and he owns a restaurant in Shanghai so I'm not exactly completely ignorant of the intricacies of China
He hates fridum and the Yusa.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
'Humidity retention', lol this guy doesn't know shit. Show me proper research, not vague theories that I could find on antivaxxer facebook groups.
Why are we posting shit like this again? Humidity retention? Helping to fight the virus better? Is this is a joke
The point is, he's comparing the culture in both countries. People in the US are not too willing in wearing a mask because they might be seen as sick (even though they're actually sick!) and they fear of being persecuted by public, and that's not a good culture if we want to prevent the virus from spreading further.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
He hates fridum and the Yusa.
I mean, there plenty of reasons to hate this country, but that doesn't mean others aren't also worthy or criticism.

Honestly I don't know how this got sidetracked I just thought it was stupid that when someone posted a link to a study finding wearing masks isn't that much of a help (unless you're face to face with a patient) he feels the need to come in here and shit all over it. The fact is there's a shortage worldwide and part of that is because every one and their mother are buying them up unnecessarily

at least we aren't Australia Beating up old ladies to steal their TP 😑

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, there plenty of reasons to hate this country, but that doesn't mean others aren't also worthy or criticism.
I spent the better part of my adult life trying to become a citizen of the united states. I don't hate America. I really don't.
I do think that the Trump administration response to this is shameful and I really wish people in this country demand slightly more than nothing from their government.
How the fuck can Vietnam do more than the richest country in the history of the world?

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
I spent the better part of my adult life trying to become a citizen of the united states. I don't hate America. I really don't.
I do think that the Trump administration response to this is shameful and I really wish people in this country demand slightly more than nothing from their government.
How the fuck can Vietnam do more than the richest country in the history of the world?
It's repugnant how little they've done but I'm not sure what could be done other than mass protests, which, given the nature of this crisis, probably isn't a good idea. The best I can hope for is state governments doing the right thing. Unfortunately I'm in a red state so I'm fucked

As for your "hate" for this country. It wasn't my intention to imply you hated it and I apologise if I gave that impression

rubidium

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought wearing mask keeps throat and nasal membrane moist, given that first line of defense is always physical. That alone should help people to combat infection I guess. Dry sinus is your enemy.

Last edited:

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Are there currently any travel bans in place that prevent people from certain countries from entering the US?
My wife and I are going to visit family in Florida in April. Flying in from Germany.
Is there a government website that has such information? I've looked around a little but haven't found much so far.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what exactly the Chinese people are doing any differently than Americans to resist in small ways

In Taiwan we've had fever screening at hotels, restaurants, and other public places for over a month; those aren't government mandated but people do them. Schools also have thermal cameras set up to monitor temperature in real time, again not by mandate. Most schools are doing more than the government asks to prevent disease exposure, in fact. We've got contingency plans set up for remote learning at my school, which will shut down if we find covid on campus. Panic buying is not really a big thing and stores are well-stocked with disinfectant wipes and sanitizer. Then you factor in the government mandates, shutting schools and businesses shortly before the virus began to peak, and the amount of resources being diverted to fighting this disease, and it's just night and day to compare the Sinosphere with the west.

And just to be clear, people in Taiwan hate the Chinese government as much as the day is long, but they also give credit to the Chinese people and medical teams for their work just as anyone should.

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

time.com

For the face masks, you can't simply answer Yes it works or No.
It depends on which kind of face masks you are using or in which situation you want to use.

Our government give an instruction about the differences of different kind of face masks and when to use them.
twitter.com

Nedda on Twitter

“https://t.co/6hJwkAkjaL”

So wear the best level face mask if you want to visit high risk areas like hospital with infected cases.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Are there currently any travel bans in place that prevent people from certain countries from entering the US?
My wife and I are going to visit family in Florida in April. Flying in from Germany.
Is there a government website that has such information? I've looked around a little but haven't found much so far.

www.nafsa.org

COVID-19 Restrictions on U.S. Visas and Entry

NAFSA: Association of International Educators is the world's largest nonprofit association dedicated to international education and exchange.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Has this been shared?

ESuwXWLU4AAxZt_

www.seattletimes.com

Coronavirus crackdown? Seattle-area official outlines possible next steps

Seattle area public-health officials are "at the ready" to start ordering involuntary isolation and quarantines and are considering cancellation of major public events, with information coming soon, a top official said Monday. Patty Hayes, director of Public Health — Seattle...

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017

I think the US had implemented compulsory screenings for anyone travelling from China and Italy. Though that might be out of date news now.

[edit] Ah here we go:

Travel Advisories