• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the lack of test perform in the US is unfathomable. We have sports every night in every major city that draws ten of thousands. The baseball season is nearly upon us.
The Mariners being terrible will be our saving!
By the toll of a billion horrible trades Seattle has bought their birthright of the earth, and it our against all comers.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I really doubt those numbers are true, Xi wants everyone back to work and China is no stranger to fudging the numbers in order to get what they want.

Not to downplay their containment efforts, which are amazing, but that kind of turn around is next to impossible.

I'm not sure if it is that impossible, there are not many new cases now in Hong Kong and Taiwan either, places that were hit hard by SARS.

Wordballoons

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think most of the world is gonna be flipping out by then tbh, 300 million people in the US still think it's just the flu and don't think anything about their lives is gonna change.
I guess we will see. Seems like eventually the CDC is just going to quarantine everyone coming in from anywhere. Is it a mandatory you need to stay in your home thing? This shit is sort of nuts.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
the lack of test perform in the US is unfathomable. We have sports every night in every major city that draws ten of thousands. The baseball season is nearly upon us.

Trump and co. are probably just hoping to keep the numbers as low as possible, but in the end all that will do is increase the death toll percentage because those who do die from it will end up reported anyway.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I guess we will see. Seems like eventually the CDC is just going to quarantine everyone coming in from anywhere. Is it a mandatory you need to stay in your home thing? This shit is sort of nuts.
No its not mandatory. There have already been reports of people breaking quarantine to go to social gatherings. Thats why its gonna be even worse in the US.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Really? That fucking sucks. I figured France was doing a better job - the number of deaths is way lower proportionally

France is much more richer and better funded then Italy, with a better health infrastructure. It's also better equipped to fight the disease then Italy ever was.

Less people should die and get the disease. Still lockdowns will happen.

I would not fly there until end of April

Gallows Bat

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm not sure if it is that impossible, there are not many new cases now in Hong Kong and Taiwan either, places that were hit hard by SARS.
Can't comment on Hong Kong but Taiwan has been incredible from the first few days, they've done everything right and are continuing to be vigilant.

I'm sure China doesn't have a ton of cases anymore but the incredibly sharp drop combined with the economic damage and Xi constantly talking about getting back to work is extremely suspicious. If they rush things they're going to end up with a second wave and no one wants that.

alex.magnus

Oct 28, 2017
honestly I'm baffled by so many people worried about their trips to Europe...
I'm Italian and two weeks ago I canceled my trip to France that was due next week.

instead of thinking about your holidays be socially responsible and just cancel the whole thing.

If not for yourselves do it for the people you'd be putting in danger.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I get that, but aren't we reaching a point where there are so many in the US that it wouldn't even make sense to try and lock everyone down? I'm in NY, for reference. Seems like we will have as many as France pretty quickly here already.

Let's at least try. Of course it would make a difference. Right now there are so many businesses that are just waiting for the first case to hit their building before they decide to take action.

The mayor is still perpetuating that it takes 'a certain kind of intimacy' to expose yourself. Even though we know for a fact that it has been transmitted by people sharing bus seats and the like. A bus seat is not intimate.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
I have a Disney World trip planned in a couple weeks that has been planned for years. I literally have to go because there is no way to get the money back unless they offer refunds.
Same here. Got tickets for AEW Dynamite in Newark and I am taking my wife and kid to Manhattan. She's getting pretty nervous about it all.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep going to be a ton of Europe spring breakers coming back and spreading it.

Pretty much worse case too as I would think younger people would be likely carriers with very minor symptoms and don't present to a hospital but just spread it around everywhere assuming they just picked up a minor cold/bug on the plane ride back.

I went to France and Spain last October and honestly did pick up something pretty nasty on the way back.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have a Disney World trip planned in a couple weeks that has been planned for years. I literally have to go because there is no way to get the money back unless they offer refunds.

Shame on Disney for not changing their refund policy in this time of crisis.
Are you insured? Being diagnoses/getting tested with Corona might cost more than the trip.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
While that is true, most of the deaths are coming from a single nursing home center of people in the perfect age for the virus lethality. What exactly would you like Washington state to do exactly?
The US doesn't even have fever screening in all international airports (or anywhere public, really) there is no designated fever wards/clinics anywhere around here and we are still doing practically no testing.
There is also not nearly enough being done to up the ICU capacity.
The response here was pretty lacking so far.

Also, the US had almost 2 months to prepare for that, and it has been known for a while the old people are the most vulnerable, and there was really nothing done on any government level to help nursing home better prepared for this.
Canada and Mexico will block US visitors from border crossing soon.
I wouldn't be as sure, America got EXTREMELY angry when countries suggested some rather minor travel restriction for travelers from the US during swine flu.
No one want to be on the receiving end of the US getting angry, that's how you get sanctions.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
Coronavirus can travel twice as far as official 'safe distance' and stay in air for 30 minutes, Chinese study finds.

• Authorities advise people to stay 1-2 metres apart, but researchers found that a bus passenger infected fellow travellers sitting 4.5 metres away
  • The scientists behind the research said their investigation also highlighted the importance of wearing face masks because of the length of time it can linger
The coronavirus that causes Covid-19 can linger in the air for at least 30 minutes and travel up to 4.5 metres – further than the "safe distance" advised by health authorities around the world, according to a study by a team of Chinese government epidemiologists.

"It can be confirmed that in a closed environment with air-conditioning, the transmission distance of the new coronavirus will exceed the commonly recognised safe distance," the researchers wrote in a paper published in peer-review journal Practical Preventive Medicine last Friday.

They said the study proves the importance of washing hands and wearing face masks in public places because the virus can linger in the air attached to fine droplet particles.

"When riding on more closed public transportation such as subways, cars, planes, etc, you should wear a mask all the time, and at the same time, minimise the contact between your hands and public areas, and avoid touching your face before cleaning," they said.

www.scmp.com

Coronavirus can travel twice as far as official ‘safe distance’, study says

Health authorities advise people to stay 1-2 metres apart, but researchers found that a bus passenger infected fellow travellers sitting 4.5 metres away.

Wordballoons

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
France is much more richer and better funded then Italy, with a better health infrastructure. It's also better equipped to fight the disease then Italy ever was.

Less people should die and get the disease. Still lockdowns will happen.

I would not fly there until end of April
I'm moving back there then so it's not really an option

OG YOLOwen

Banned
Mar 24, 2019
Yep going to be a ton of Europe spring breakers coming back and spreading it.

Pretty much worse case too as I would think younger people would be likely carriers with very minor symptoms and don't present to a hospital but just spread it around everywhere assuming they just picked up a minor cold/bug on the plane ride back.

I went to France and Spain last October and honestly did pick up something pretty nasty on the way back.
I'm currently visiting my brother in Prague with my whole family. I am the only one who is serious about washing hands of the five of us. It's incredibly frustrating dealing with my mom's comments about my supposed "anxiety" over Covid.

I can only imagine what will be coming back when all the study abroad kids return, assuming their programs aren't cancelled.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So Fulton County GA is shutting down all schools tomorrow due to a faculty member at a school testing positive. That school they're froM is like for real right around the corner from me. Wonderfully freaky. Hopefully the kids are ok.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
Coronavirus can travel twice as far as official 'safe distance' and stay in air for 30 minutes, Chinese study finds.

www.scmp.com

Coronavirus can travel twice as far as official ‘safe distance’, study says

Health authorities advise people to stay 1-2 metres apart, but researchers found that a bus passenger infected fellow travellers sitting 4.5 metres away.

Opposite of what the CDC day regarding face masks. Definitely think the masks help more than what we're being led to believe.

Wordballoons

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
honestly I'm baffled by so many people worried about their trips to Europe...
I'm Italian and two weeks ago I canceled my trip to France that was due next week.

instead of thinking about your holidays be socially responsible and just cancel the whole thing.

If not for yourselves do it for the people you'd be putting in danger.
I mean I'm going there to fix up things for when I move back at the end of the next month. I'm not going to Cancun or something and I'm not going to be out there licking metro seats. I go to NYC every week several times and it's awful there too. My wife and I have to look for a new place and getting an apartment in Paris/building a file is much more tedious than it is in the US.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Authorities advise people to stay 1-2 metres apart, but researchers found that a bus passenger infected fellow travellers sitting 4.5 metres away
Only one sample? What kind of research is that?

And it's a bus, there's a very high chance that the travelers got the virus from the door, trailing, and other things in the bus.

David Addison

Oct 28, 2017
New Jersey declared a state of emergency after 11 cases were confirmed, one as far south as Cherry Hill. Got an email (regarding a book sale) that mentioned the Princeton Day School may close as early as this week, and that's probably not the only school.

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
CDC doesn't have runny nose as symptom:
www.cdc.gov

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) – Symptoms

Symptoms of COVID-19 include fever, cough, and shortness of breath. Call your doctor if you develop symptoms.

Apparently WHO does though.

www.who.int

Coronavirus disease (COVID-19)

WHO is continuously monitoring and responding to this pandemic. This questions and answers page will be updated as more is known about COVID-19, how it spreads and how it is affecting people worldwide. For more information, regularly check the WHO coronavirus pages. https://www.who.int/covid-19

"The most common symptoms of COVID-19 are fever, tiredness, and dry cough. Some patients may have aches and pains, nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat or diarrhea. These symptoms are usually mild and begin gradually."