• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019

Even if COVID-19 "only" killed 70,000 people a year, that's 70,000 people who'd be dying needlessly because you didn't bother enacting containment procedures. I've heard this crazy line of reasoning a few times: "oh, let's just let it become the new flu," as though having a new flu to deal with is just a minor consideration.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
Shutting down all travel is very difficult idea to do and could destroy so much of the economy, but shouldn't we at least be closing international travel for now? Stop the cruises, stop international flights

It would only be useful for the few countries who only have a very low cases. Of course they will soon run into food and material shortage due to supply chain disruption.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy to me that they've reiterated over and over that all cases to date have been imported and there's no community spread yet, but they refuse to do anything about suspending flights from Iran.

There are no direct flights from Iran to Canada. You cannot stop Canadian citizens from returning from Iran, only ask them to quarantine upon their return

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Shutting down all travel is very difficult idea to do and could destroy so much of the economy, but shouldn't we at least be closing international travel for now? Stop the cruises, stop international flights
Because passenger travel is a drop in the bucket and locking down international travel is a great way to trap people in countries where their visa status is in question.

But even if you did that, you still need commercial flights. I am not sure how many countries are at the point where they aren't able to support themselves anymore but pretty much the entire planet's QOL would drop drastically if international commercial flights were stopped. And all the existing shortages would get MUCH worse.

Combine that with cutting off international flight only really being useful for protecting Australia and North/South America and it is just shooting the world economy in the leg for no real reason.

----

Stopping cruises would be a good idea though.

iyox

Oct 25, 2017
The virus has demonstrably been passed around here since January. Have health services been slammed yet? I'm not being facetious, I honestly haven't heard anything. Are hospitals even in Washington being inundated? You'd think that the shit would have hit the fan already.

I am assume that's because of the incubation period and the rate of infection. With Italy as an example of what we might begin to expect in the next few weeks.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
If the WHO didn't just declare coronavirus a pandemic, then who is the douchebag with a verified twitter account lying about it? All they're going to accomplish is sowing distrust in the media.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
The virus has demonstrably been passed around here since January. Have health services been slammed yet? I'm not being facetious, I honestly haven't heard anything. Are hospitals even in Washington being inundated? You'd think that the shit would have hit the fan already.
I would like to know more about this as well. I've heard King County, Washington is considered to have one of the best public health departments in the country, so that's good.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I am assume that's because of the incubation period and the rate of infection. With Italy as an example of what we might begin to expect in the next few weeks.

Well it's been 7 weeks since that first detected case in Washington (the person who flew in from Wuhan), which they were able to genetically match with the current outbreak that's being detected. The average incubation I believe has been found to be 6 days, so even accounting for rate of infection, I would expect there to be a lot more news about slammed hospitals. Hopefully this means that the strain hitting us is more mild than the Italian and Iranian strain.

Again I'm not stating that this isn't a big deal or isn't happening, I just am wondering about the situation or if there are news stories that I've missed.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
www.n-tv.de

"Werden direkt in Epidemiewelle hineinlaufen"

Zwar sei man in Deutschland auf den Kampf gegen das Coronavirus gut vorbereitet, eine "Epidemiewelle" sei dennoch kaum vermeidbar, so Virologe Prof. Dr. Drosten. Wovon der Eindruck rührt, hierzulande "glimpflich" davon zu kommen, erklärt er auf einer Pressekonferenz.

German Virologist in press conference: He basically says Germany will not be an exception.

Welp, that doesn't sound good. :(
He says based on a new US study he now thinks there's no point trying to delay this into spring and summer, because we will directly ride into an epidemic wave very soon and there's no big seasonal effect on the virus. He says we don't have much time to prepare and it's a very serious situation.

He also says there's so few deaths in Germany so far because we detected it very early. In other countries they only started testing a lot when there were already deaths.

OP
OP
wandering

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
I would like to know more about this as well. I've heard King County, Washington is considered to have one of the best public health departments in the country, so that's good.

Seattle and the surrounding area is the seat of a ton of medical and life sciences research and the University of Washington has some of the top facilities and medical training programs in the nation, so it's at least a bit reassuring. So far it seems that local health infrastructure hasn't been overwhelmed, but supplies are beginning to stretch thin and hospitals are rushing to prepare in anticipation of a looming influx.

www.npr.org

U.S. Hospitals Prepare For A COVID-19 Wave

Hospitals are clearing space and preparing staff for a possible crush of patients needing critical care.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Not going to count my chickens before they hatched, but the uk case number surge is remarkably lower then the curve we had for the past 7 days.

I can understand some in this thread do feel the government should enact much bigger measures, however the handling and containment of the disease has been excellent by the wider gov and the experts and scientists in charge of this, so far.

The force quarantine move was a much needed one.

The four fatalities are indeed awful, yet compared to our neibours the speead is much more manageable, for now.
Yes, the case numbers have been a little lower than predictions for the last couple of days. A quick non-linear regression predicts 425 cases tomorrow if the growth continues exponentially. Fingers crossed it will be less than this.

My Yorkshire supermarket has so much toilet paper they can't fit it on the shelves and have stacked it 6" tall on the floor in the aisles. I guess they heard about the panic and over-compensated!
"40 year ago we 'ad proper diseases like polio and dysentery...", "Toilet paper? We'd consider ourselves lucky if we 'ad a sheet of newspaper t' wipe our arse wit' ", etc...

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
User banned (3 days): ignoring staff post, spreading misinformation
More than half of all the Covid19 patients worldwide recovered already.
In fact 62.277 people are immune to corona by now.

Please do not let all the negative news drag you down.

#therearegoodnewstoo
#humanityisstrong

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Even if COVID-19 "only" killed 70,000 people a year, that's 70,000 people who'd be dying needlessly because you didn't bother enacting containment procedures. I've heard this crazy line of reasoning a few times: "oh, let's just let it become the new flu," as though having a new flu to deal with is just a minor consideration.

this is a country where you are more likely to die of a gunshot in chicago than coronavirus atm........difference being is gunshots are not insanely contagious and thank god for that.

We won't do anything until its near shit fest beyond the ceiling fan.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle and the surrounding area is the seat of a ton of medical and life sciences research and the University of Washington has some of the top facilities and medical training programs in the nation, so it's at least a bit reassuring. So far it seems that local health infrastructure hasn't been overwhelmed, but supplies are beginning to stretch thin and hospitals are rushing to prepare in anticipation of a looming influx.

www.npr.org

U.S. Hospitals Prepare For A COVID-19 Wave

Hospitals are clearing space and preparing staff for a possible crush of patients needing critical care.
Thank you — that's a good article.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
this is a country where you are more likely to die of a gunshot in chicago than coronavirus atm........difference being is gunshots are not insanely contagious and thank god for that.

We won't do anything until its near shit fest beyond the ceiling fan.
That Chicago statement needs an enormous asterisk. This idea that Chicago is a lawless hellhole where you're highly likely to get shot is not true save for very specific areas that the average person would never visit on a trip to the city, let alone as a current resident.

Cheapstare

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
twitter.com

Stefan Simanowitz on Twitter

“On #COVID2019, @BorisJohnson said: “One of the theories is perhaps you could take it on the chin, take it all in one go & allow #coronvirus to move through the population without really taking as many draconian measures.” This is a CRAZY theory! #COVID19 https://t.co/usABMckLqf”

Last edited:

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I read this a couple of times now, and I hope you're right. But I feel that by this summer people will just have forgotten.
If this doesn't actually pop off with mass casualties and the market starts to recover, everything happening now is likely to be forgotten by the electorate. A couple of big "ifs," but it is a long way to November.
Where do you think the virus is gonna go between now and November? Just evaporate? We have zero reason to believe it'll slow down or die off in the summer and if dipshit keeps trying to downplay and suppress it, it'll just keep spreading and circulating and more and more people will get sick and/or die.
There's not even confirmation we build immunity to it after recovering yet, or what the long term effects will be for those who receiver 3, 6, 12+ months down the road. But there have been instances of "recovered" patients seemingly getting again and having an even worse time of it or dying.

His strategy of just lying about it and ignoring it won't work against a virus, especially if summer doesn't hinder it at all.

RRW

Oct 26, 2017
well, there is report for the victim to get the second COVID-19. So i wont called it complete immunity jsut yet

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Anyone know what the latest is with regards to India? I know they have a handful of cases there. Has it begun to spread widely there yet?

I ask because my mom is visiting my grandparents there and I'm thinking of getting her back to the US ASAP if things are starting to get worse.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
More than half of all the Covid19 patients worldwide recovered already.
In fact 62.277 people are immune to corona by now.

Please do not let all the negative news drag you down.

#therearegoodnewstoo
#humanityisstrong

It is irresponsible to make a post like this when we don't know about the immunity to the disease. There have been many reinfections, which may be due to improper testing, but we cannot confidently say you become immune. Experts have stated that it is unlikely that you can get reinfected, but they don't know if you are immune yet. Please do not make posts about this situation that aren't backed by experts.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
Already posted?

D.C. Priest who shook hands with more than 500 worshippers infected with virus

Rev. Timothy Cole attended three services last Sunday at Christ Church Georgetown, which were attended by 550 people. Rev. Cole identified himself in a statement to his congregation.

D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser is recommending anyone who visited the church between February 24 through March 3 to self-quarantine for 14 days.

Visitors to Christ Church, Georgetown Episcopal on Feb 24th, and between Feb 28th and Mar 3rd could've been exposed to COVID-19, and DC Health recommends that anyone who visited on those dates isolate themselves at home for 14 days from the last time they visited the church.

www.wkbn.com

D.C. priest tests positive for coronavirus

A priest in the Washington, D.C. area has tested positive for the coronavirus.

www.independent.co.uk

US priest who shook hands with more than 500 worshippers has coronavirus

'Several hundred' people ordered to self-quarantine after church closes due to risk of infection

May 26, 2018
twitter.com

Stefan Simanowitz on Twitter

“On #COVID2019, @BorisJohnson said: “One of the theories is perhaps you could take it on the chin, take it all in one go & allow #coronvirus to move through the population without really taking as many draconian measures.” This is a CRAZY theory! #COVID19 https://t.co/usABMckLqf”

74540ebeaeea58bb64fcaa744da2d4fe.jpg

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Anyone know what the latest is with regards to India? I know they have a handful of cases there. Has it begun to spread widely there yet?

I ask because my mom is visiting my grandparents there and I'm thinking of getting her back to the US ASAP if things are starting to get worse.

Last I know of there are 45 cases.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what would happen if one country screws up and the virus hits critical mass there.

With the lack of testing, the ratio of deaths to confirmed infected, a pay for health system that is poor at dealing with these types of pandemics, and a president and admin who is treating this like its the seasonal flu, combined with the biggest news broadcaster sharing that same message.

All the ingredients are there for this to blow up like it did in China in the US except 10x word because they don't have the means to manage it in the same way

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
That Chicago statement needs an enormous asterisk. This idea that Chicago is a lawless hellhole where you're highly likely to get shot is not true save for very specific areas that the average person would never visit on a trip to the city, let alone as a current resident.

graphics.suntimes.com

Homicides in Chicago: A list of every victim | Chicago Sun-Times

Information about Chicago's homicide victims, compiled by journalists, including breakdowns of where and when incidents occurred, updated daily.

It's pretty spread out in the city.....obviously not everything is a gunshot wound, but lets not act like its not a common thing for someone to die everyday in my city.

But like i said, at least gunshots are not contagious

also a massive spike this year compared to last