• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's crazy to me that they've reiterated over and over that all cases to date have been imported and there's no community spread yet, but they refuse to do anything about suspending flights from Iran.

I'm going to assume we have a bunch of spies there so they're trying to get them back. Otherwise they would be stuck there.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
The one concert I bought tickets for in about 5 years just got delayed because of COVID concerns. Thankfully I had the foresight to pay slightly more for the hotel room I booked to be able to cancel/amend it.

I don't really have anywhere else to vent this so I'm just gonna post it here.

Oct 28, 2017
www.n-tv.de

"Werden direkt in Epidemiewelle hineinlaufen"

Zwar sei man in Deutschland auf den Kampf gegen das Coronavirus gut vorbereitet, eine "Epidemiewelle" sei dennoch kaum vermeidbar, so Virologe Prof. Dr. Drosten. Wovon der Eindruck rührt, hierzulande "glimpflich" davon zu kommen, erklärt er auf einer Pressekonferenz.

German Virologist in press conference: He basically says Germany will not be an exception.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The one concert I bought tickets for in about 5 years just got delayed because of COVID concerns. Thankfully I had the foresight to pay slightly more for the hotel room I booked to be able to cancel/amend it.

I don't really have anywhere else to vent this so I'm just gonna post it here.

I have a festival booked for late May/early June and my holidays booked for August. No idea at this point if any of these things will happen at this rate.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I live in the UK, Was planning on taking the kids to Disneyworld Orlando in early July. You reckon I should wait and see or book now whilst prices are pretty much at rock bottom?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Warning: This is a immune suppressor drug that is designed to WEAKEN your immune system. I would GUESS this is only useful when your immune system is over-reacting (like SARS) and cause systemic inflammation. This will not be the magical cure everyone is looking for, but it may help those who present certain clinical features.

Generally from what I read, administrate these type of drug needs to be carefully done, as you want to lower inflammation without making the patient defenseless against secondary infection.
that is what i was wondering when looking up the drug. definitely should only be used in rare cases it seems like.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a huge Formula 1 fan I am happy the Australian GP this weekend is seemingly happening as planned, but at the same time I can't shake off the feeling that having tens of thousand of people "on top of each other" on the stands and on the green is a really horrible idea right now, regardless of the levels of infection in any given country. I understand that the money lost in case of a spectatorless race (or the lack of a race altgother) is enormous and it could put the future of the event in jeopardy, but at the same time human lives are the most important thing right now.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
I live in the UK, Was planning on taking the kids to Disneyworld Orlando in early July. You reckon I should wait and see or book now whilst prices are pretty much at rock bottom?

I would wait and see. It could get much worse here because
a) we have a lot of people who don't have insurance so won't go to the doctor
b) we have a lot of people who can't afford to take off work even if they're sick

Hopefully Disney themselves will extend sick leave benefits in order to prevent spread in the parks, but a lot of that will apply to the airport you'll be going to.

Emiya777

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
How are Greece, Netherlands, Belgium, and Amsterdam looking? Had a trip planned around Europe for the end of the month, and already cancelled Italy, France, and Germany, but still hoping to salvage something out of it.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Well shit, there's a rumoured confirmed case in the office building a few doors down from my work. They're getting shut down for disinfection and employees are working from home until further notice.

Scary considering the street is one of the major public transit arteries in the city.

Small world, but I doubt this is connected

Are you in NYC at all? Friend just sent us a message from his office, that may have been exposed so sending foks home to disinfect and let them know when to come back in.

Hrothgar

Nov 6, 2017
Over 70% of the people tested positive so far in Germany were between 20-50 years old. The median is currently 40 years old!

(Source: same press conference again).

Holy fuck completely different picture. They suggested the numbers are so much different in Italy because they mostly test older people, not the younger population.

Got a news article with this info laying around by any chance?

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Interesting. Apparently the second case of COVID-19 in the Dominican Republic was from a Canadian tourist, on Feb. 25th. This could mean it's circulating locally in the country, but maybe people aren't reporting it due to mild symptoms, or not being considered at-risk of being infected.

www.thejakartapost.com

Canadian tourist is second Dominican Republic virus case

The 70-year-old woman arrived in the Caribbean country on Feb. 25 with her husband, who is not showing symptoms of COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus that first appeared in China late last year.

A Canadian tourist has the second confirmed case of the new coronavirus in the Dominican Republic, the public health ministry said Thursday.

The 70-year-old woman arrived in the Caribbean country on Feb. 25 with her husband, who is not showing symptoms of COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus that first appeared in China late last year.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
How are Greece, Netherlands, Belgium, and Amsterdam looking? Had a trip planned around Europe for the end of the month, and already cancelled Italy, France, and Germany, but still hoping to salvage something out of it.

I wouldn't travel at all for next few months if I were you. Too many question marks right now.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I would wait and see. It could get much worse here because
a) we have a lot of people who don't have insurance so won't go to the doctor
b) we have a lot of people who can't afford to take off work even if they're sick

Hopefully Disney themselves will extend sick leave benefits in order to prevent spread in the parks, but a lot of that will apply to the airport you'll be going to.
To be honest, I'm not as concerned about getting the virus as I am about quarantine etc. At this point I am pretty certain that at some stage in life me and my family will contract it, I'd almost rather get it whilst I am in relatively good shape and have no underlying conditions to build up some immunity for when I'm more at risk.

My concern is things like quarantine etc, i might just book it but make sure i have a rock solid cancellation clause.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017

Greece: 73
Netherlands and Belgium: ~250.

By the end of month expect much worse results, though, so I wouldn't travel at all

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
The number of infected people in EU is rising super fast.
I'm worried and I'm kinda considering stop working altogether and stay at home for a week or two...

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, I'm not as concerned about getting the virus as I am about quarantine etc. At this point I am pretty certain that at some stage in life me and my family will contract it, I'd almost rather get it whilst I am in relatively good shape and have no underlying conditions to build up some immunity for when I'm more at risk.

My concern is things like quarantine etc, i might just book it but make sure i have a rock solid cancellation clause.

So you would rather get the virus during peak times when the hospitals would be under heavy pressure?

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
As a huge Formula 1 fan I am happy the Australian GP this weekend is seemingly happening as planned, but at the same time I can't shake off the feeling that having tens of thousand of people "on top of each other" on the stands and on the green is a really horrible idea right now, regardless of the levels of infection in any given country. I understand that the money lost in case of a spectatorless race (or the lack of a race altgother) is enormous and it could put the future of the event in jeopardy, but at the same time human lives are the most important thing right now.
I was thinking about that while watching the nascar race this weekend. They are just taking a wait and see approach with it here. More hand sanitizer at the tracks and stuff. F1 going to different countries like that it doesn't surprise me that they just have to outright cancel some races. It's going to be weird to watch spectatorless ones.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure this is a dumb question, but what does the "novel" part refer to? Is it just like the "new" coronavirus?

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Not going to count my chickens before they hatched, but the uk case number surge is remarkably lower then the curve we had for the past 7 days.

I can understand some in this thread do feel the government should enact much bigger measures, however the handling and containment of the disease has been excellent by the wider gov and the experts and scientists in charge of this, so far.

The force quarantine move was a much needed one.

The four fatalities are indeed awful, yet compared to our neibours the speead is much more manageable, for now.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Today a person who lives in my (not so big) city died of COVID-19.
Day by day, it really is becoming a matter of when and how, instead of if.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
The UK has a good health care system so it is possible by July you guys will be safe... Just imagine the amount of people that wont even look for treatment in the USA because they cant afford the bill... I wouldn't bet on the USA becoming safe earlier than the UK, ever.

Gabe

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Italy
twitter.com

AFP news agency on Twitter

“VIDEO: Thousands gathered in France at the weekend to break the world record for the largest-ever gathering of Smurfs. Around 3500 people set aside fears of the #coronavirus to dress up as the characters, which come from a Belgian comic franchise https://t.co/G3tMFoTE6A”

I don't even know what to say anymore.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL

If it truly tapers out in hot weather then coming down here in July will be safe as fuck. I just think it's probably too early to tell what the landscape is going to be in July really.

elty

Oct 31, 2017

Depends on the cancellation policy. If the discount is higher than the cancellation fee then I would do it probably.

iyox

Oct 25, 2017
Dude is riled about the state of the economy. I'm sure there's some high correlation between number of tweets and stock market volatility in either direction

edit: also it's in my town, an elementary school is closed today. A few people from the Biogen outbreak live here

Him and his administration really are going the Mueller Probe / Impeachment route of simply trying to pretend this doesn't exist or is somehow being misrepresented by the media. The major issue is that the evidence, those getting sick, can't simply be hidden by a complicit congress or corrupt DOJ. Going to be a sad next few weeks as the virus takes hold and the situation becomes dire.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
So you would rather get the virus during peak times when the hospitals would be under heavy pressure?
yeah this is a good point, probably best to wait and see. Im kind of torn because i also think that being crippled by fear means that you will lose the enjoyment of life, however i dont want to make things worse for other people around me.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
That's probably your best bet, but I'd definitely take pains to make sure your insurance / their cancellation policy is going to cover coronavirus-related refunds. I'm sure insurers are gearing up the excuses as we speak.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Him and his administration really are going the Mueller Probe / Impeachment route of simply trying to pretend this doesn't exist or is somehow being misrepresented by the media. The major issue is that the evidence, those getting sick, can't simply be hidden by a complicit congress or corrupt DOJ. Going to be a sad next few weeks as the virus takes hold and the situation becomes dire.

The virus has demonstrably been passed around here since January. Have health services been slammed yet? I'm not being facetious, I honestly haven't heard anything. Are hospitals even in Washington being inundated? You'd think that the shit would have hit the fan already.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Shutting down all travel is very difficult idea to do and could destroy so much of the economy, but shouldn't we at least be closing international travel for now? Stop the cruises, stop international flights

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
twitter.com

AFP news agency on Twitter

“VIDEO: Thousands gathered in France at the weekend to break the world record for the largest-ever gathering of Smurfs. Around 3500 people set aside fears of the #coronavirus to dress up as the characters, which come from a Belgian comic franchise https://t.co/G3tMFoTE6A”

I don't even know what to say anymore.
They should self-medicate with colloidal silver and kill two birds with one stone.