• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
This is an interesting thread from a professor of chemistry on why exactly soap is the most effective strategy for destroying enveloped viral particles on your skin.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019
We still don't have a good death count for Katrina, let alone Maria in Puerto Rico.
They will 100% undercount the numbers and I highly doubt we'll ever get a really good count everyone can agree on.

I fully expect it to go the route of China, aka, obsfucating/hiding the stats in the beginning, and then being forced into divulging information as it gets out of control due to sheer pressure from populace. One good thing the US has going for it is that leaks will happen all over the place if the official sources don't come forward. No one here is getting a visit from the police because they are reporting on numbers like in China.

SushiReese

Oct 30, 2017
Wow.
That post is sobering.
Exact same story happened in Wuhan one month ago, I saw hundreds of posts/videos sharing similar experience early phrase of Wuhan lock-down from China social media including Weibo and Wechat. Hospitals became overflowed with panic mass and all rooms were quickly occupied. On average a patient take two weeks to treat and another 14 days to keep in observation to discharge. In the end, the hospitals became overwhelming and could not take more patients. Mask and equipment ran out. Doctors and nurse got infected and some of them collapsed. The hospital had to told new coming people with mild symptoms to go home to self-quarantine. Then mild symptoms patients stayed at house and infected the whole household and other neighbors. The circle went go and turned in to a nightmare.
That's why Beijing ordered to enforce lock-down across the nations, shut down public traffic and issue nation-wide travel ban.China had to build two hospitals in 10 days and other dozens of "capsule hospitals" to isolate all patients and moved around thousands of medical workers including PLA battle medics teams from other province to rescue Hubei.
Many western countries seriously underestimate the spread and how infectious this new virus is. Some of my Americans friends told this type of situation in China would not happen in U.S because U.S has advanced medical facilities and equipment and China medical care system is bad.

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Exact same story happened in Wuhan one month ago, I saw hundreds of posts/videos sharing similar experience early phrase of Wuhan lock-down from China social media including Weibo and Wechat. Hospitals became overflowed with panic mass and all rooms were quickly occupied. On average a patient take two weeks to treat and another 14 days to keep in observation to discharge. In the end, the hospitals became overwhelming and could not take more patients. Mask and equipment ran out. Doctors and nurse got infected and some of them collapsed. The hospital had to told new coming people with mild symptoms to go home to self-quarantine. Then mild symptoms patients stayed at house and infected the whole household and other neighbors. The circle went go and turned in to a nightmare.
That's why Beijing ordered to enforce lock-down across the nations, shut down public traffic and issue nation-wide travel ban.China had to build two hospitals in 10 days and other dozens of "capsule hospitals" to isolate all patients and moved around thousands of medical workers including PLA battle medics teams from other province to rescue Hubei.
Many western countries seriously underestimate the spread and how infectious this new virus is. Some of my Americans friends told this type of situation in China would not happen in U.S because U.S has advanced medical facilities and equipment and China medical care system is bad.

Well the one thing the US has going for it is that it's not a very dense country.

Only 4 American cities are as dense or denser than Wuhan, and in many parts of the country, public transportation basically doesn't exist.

I am a person who is very concerned about this virus, but do not think the extreme measures the Chinese have taken will be required in the US.

Public events will have to be banned and schools will have to be closed, though.

JonCha

Oct 29, 2017
UK
On holiday in Basel and it's pretty quiet here. Seems like the self-isolation message has really got through.

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
You know, I was thinking about getting in the car and getting the fuck out, I can do it, I work mostly remotely.
But two things -
a) I think people who are not at a risk group should not leave hot zones unless they have to.
b) I think I'm in a low risk group and I think I can isolate myself better than the average person. I have a friend who are autoimmune here, I have friends who can't not go to work just yet. They might need someone to do grocery runs or whatever. I can be useful.

We're riding this shit up, I hope to look back at that post and think I was over dramatic.

I don't think Seattle is as bad as many other parts of the country, honestly.

The UW just happened to find it, and then that nursing home got the headlines because those people were very susceptible.

Seattle isn't that dense of a city, and many people commute in their own cars.

I suspect NYC, LA, and Chicago have it much worse (or will soon) they just haven't figured it out yet.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First day of work after the quarantines in my area. I don't see many people missing, seems like everything's quite normal so far.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
First day of work after the quarantines in my area. I don't see many people missing, seems like everything's quite normal so far.
What do you do for living? If i may ask

That's good. Apart from the medical system collapsing, the one thing Italy doesn't need is the economy collapsing.
I can tell you that's probably gonna happen, maybe not in catastrofic ways, but it will take us years to come back from this. Gyms, pubs, restaurants, malls, bars, hotels, travel agencies and i'm sure i'm forgetting some category of workers. Many people will lose their jobs sadly, but there's really nothing we can do except endure this situation as a community, as a society.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I can tell you that's probably gonna happen, maybe not in catastrofic ways, but it will take us years to come back from this. Gyms, pubs, restaurants, malls, bars and i'm sure i'm forgetting some category of workers. Many people will lose their jobs sadly, but there's really nothing we can do except endure this situation as a community, as a society.
Yep, sadly the economy is going to tank for at least a year. We've already had some signs of recession, but this precipitated it.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Seattle is as bad as many other parts of the country, honestly.

The UW just happened to find it, and then that nursing home got the headlines because those people were very susceptible.

Seattle isn't that dense of a city, and many people commute in their own cars.

I suspect NYC, LA, and Chicago have it much worse (or will soon) they just haven't figured it out yet.
Pretty sure Seattle is at least as dense as LA, if not significantly more so.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
That's good. Apart from the medical system collapsing, the one thing Italy doesn't need is the economy collapsing.
At the same time, as much as possible, I think that any workplace should prioritize smart working.
We decided, for example, even though we are not in a red province (for some days only, I imagine..), that we will physically meet only for important meetings - once per week, hopefully - and we will use video call tools as much as possible. This way, I avoid to take the public transports for an hour and half each day, whenever possible.
I understand that there are more important works where it is not possible, but really for all the works where it is feasible smart working should be adopted to avoid people's movements as much as possible.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Is it true that we could start to see human trials for the coronavirus vaccine as early as April (instead of june) this year?

www.sandiegouniontribune.com

Inovio accelerates human trials on coronavirus vaccine

The company's research and development facilities in San Diego developed a potential vaccine for COVID-19 based on the genetic sequence of the virus.

Inovio Pharmaceuticals, a small biotech company working on a COVID-19 vaccine at its San Diego lab, said Tuesday that it has accelerated its timeline for early human trials in of its DNA-based drug.

The company expects to launch Phase 1 testing on roughly 30 to 50 healthy people in April, which is sooner than the June/July time frame that was previously expected.

"We plan on delivering one million doses by year-end with existing resources and capacity," said Kim in a statement. "However, we will need additional resources to scale up to make enough doses to help protect Americans from COVID-19 as well as to lead global efforts to curtail this virus."

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
I can't help but feel paranoid whenever someone coughs when I'm on my commute (London).

The amount of people who don't properly cover their face is staggering too.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any data out there showing the breakdown of CFR with chronic disease + age?

So for example if you have asthma and you're in your 20s what would the CFR be?

I've only seen CFR broken down by age and chronic issues separately...

TehOh

Oct 25, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Welp, one of my wife's coworkers has tested positive for coronavirus. My wife has no symptoms so far (and didn't have direct contact with him last week), so hoping we dodged a bullet.

Last edited:

plow

Oct 28, 2017
What do you do for living? If i may ask

I can tell you that's probably gonna happen, maybe not in catastrofic ways, but it will take us years to come back from this. Gyms, pubs, restaurants, malls, bars, hotels, travel agencies and i'm sure i'm forgetting some category of workers. Many people will lose their jobs sadly, but there's really nothing we can do except endure this situation as a community, as a society.
At the same time, as much as possible, I think that any workplace should prioritize smart working.
We decided, for example, even though we are not in a red province (for some days only, I imagine..), that we will physically meet only for important meetings - once per week, hopefully - and we will use video call tools as much as possible. This way, I avoid to take the public transports for an hour and half each day, whenever possible.
I understand that there are more important works where it is not possible, but really for all the works where it is feasible smart working should be adopted to avoid people's movements as much as possible.

Yes i know and it's not avoidable, but i fear the aftermath of all this especially regarding politics. The lega could go on a rampage on the curren government body.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
@DOHgovph reports 10 new cases of #COVID19 in the Philippines

Breaking: @DOHgovph reports 10 new cases of #COVID19 in the Philippines. This brings the total confirmed cases in the Philippines to 20

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom

FTSE MIB Index Real Time Quotes - Borsa Italiana

Index FTSE MIB real-time quotation. Discover stock quotes, technical analysis, interactive charts and latest news.

The FTSE MIB, Italy's main stock index is down about 10% this morning.
Markets across the world taking a huge hit. Honestly the fear and panic is substantially more dangerous than the reality of this thing. The strain it'll place on healthcare systems due to the panic will cause far more damage than the virus itself. Economies will crash, people will lose their jobs, severely ill folks will be impacted due to healthcare strain and all whilst the media enjoy a perfect storm of clickbaity headlines and fear inducing panic to revel in the traffic.

I know many folks who work directly in virus & medical research who're far far more concerned with the panic than the virus itself. If they're not concerned, I'm not concerned (for healthy individuals that is), however the panic certainly does concern me.

Last edited:

ReactionShot

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that SK number really low? Has it peaked there finally?

The situation in SK is a little different: most of their cases (~80%) were members of a church/cult (~360000 members in total) who got infected in religious gatherings. The SK government tested members of this church/cult quite aggressively, hence the rapid increase of case numbers in the past few weeks. The operation has almost completed, however, it is still early to say that the spread has peaked; the SK president did warn today of the risks of further community transmission in other cities and "imported" cases.

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Wow.

That post is sobering.

I visited my mom tonight at her respective nursing home. Place is out of sanitizer, and toilet paper for visitors. Thankfully the dispensers by the nurses station still work, but it is like a ghost town. Many of the staff left are taking extreme distancing procedures, I suspect someone has been sick and they are worried about Covid. Heard one of the staff saying she felt fine, but another was insisting she go home and stay home the next few days.

Last night I visited my dad at his nursing home. The tone of the staff is the same. Everyone is freaked out. Staff are keeping their distance from patients out of fear.

The post from the Italy doctor is what needs to be out on the media everywhere. It is as I feared. We are in for a disaster unless a miracle is around the corner.

I am no doctor, but I visit my parents who are in different nursing homes every week. I have been there for them every step of the way I could be during their battles with their respective health challenges for many years (only child).

We are not ready for this. The hospitals are not ready, people are not ready. Despite California being apparently the leader in healthcare for the country, fuck no man my experience here regarding the healthcare system here has been so rocky that I am truly in fear for what maybe ahead.

Stock up people. Stay healthy.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Markets across the world taking a huge hit. Honestly the fear and panic is substantially more dangerous than the reality of this thing. The strain it'll place on healthcare systems due to the panic will cause far more damage than the virus itself. Economies will crash, people will lose their jobs, severely ill folks will be impacted due to healthcare strain and all whilst the media enjoy a perfect storm of clickbaity headlines and fear inducing panic to revel in the traffic.

I know many folks who work directly in virus & medical research who're far far more concerned with the panic than the virus itself. If they're not concerned, I'm not concerned (for healthy individuals that is), however the panic certainly does concern me.

Unfortunately every emergency is further amplified by the market speculation, which just ends up burning money for no good reason. On its own it's not a particularly shocking data, it was very much expected that stocks would take a hit considering that the some of the country's richest and most productive areas are getting through a lot of difficulties which will no doubt impact production. The government knows very well they are gonna lose billions and billions over this affair, but saving as many lives as possible right now is the main priority. No reason to panic over the short-term economic changes which are unavoidable.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Unfortunately every emergency is further amplified by the market speculation, which just ends up burning money for no good reason. On its own it's not a particularly shocking data, it was very much expected that stocks would take a hit considering that the some of the country's richest and most productive areas are getting through a lot of difficulties which will no doubt impact production. The government knows very well they are gonna lose billions and billions over this affair, but saving as many lives as possible right now is the main priority. No reason to panic over the short-term economic changes which are unavoidable.
Absolutely agree. Unfortunately the scale of the panic created by the media would suggest this is an absurdly vicious virus with a severe fatality rate. Here in the UK folks are panic buying soaps and toilet roll to the point where they're completely sold out and now supermarkets are now placing actual caps on what people can buy. Those who genuinely are at risk such as the elderly who can't run out to supermarkets to prepare for an impeding apocalypse will struggle to purchase what they need because of panicked healthy individuals going overboard. This is just one small instance of the fear resulting in a larger impact than the virus itself.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
oh boy, that corona virus and our mentality do not fit very well

left to right/up to down from us cases are increasing dramatically (for whatever reason we are still lower than 120 cases) and our gov does.... nothing*
wait, they gain hoteliers 100 million € in cheaper credits.
HeZLGpu.jpg

*sorry , they will start taking temperature (seriously?? what date is it? jan 2020?) from selected people at one border crossing to italy tomorrow (!). lol
🤦

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
New case in Ontario, Canada. In Brampton/Peel region. This is from yesterday.

Man in his 50's who traveled from Germany, arrived March 7th.

www.toronto.com

Coronavirus News - COVID 19 | Toronto.com

Find the latest news, resources and articles to help you through the covid / coronavirus crisis.

This is Ontario's 32nd case, and Canada's 67th.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Guess who has a fever 😣😫

Luckily I'm not coughing or sneezing and it's seeming like every other time I've ever been sick where my palates inflamed and that's about it. Not like I can do the paranoid thing anyway of getting tested because the CDC hasn't fucking sent test kits out...

ExtinguirX

Nov 22, 2018

FTSE MIB Index Real Time Quotes - Borsa Italiana

Index FTSE MIB real-time quotation. Discover stock quotes, technical analysis, interactive charts and latest news.

The FTSE MIB, Italy's main stock index is down about 10% this morning.
And it's not just Italy
London -8%
Paris/Frankfurt/Madrid -6%

Riots continue in prisons in fears of the coronavirus (security of prisoners and inability to see family members): today in Foggia there are 50 escaped and 6 dead, reports TgCom24. Yesterday 6 dead in Modena too, after some prisoners overdosed on methadone - says Corriere della Sera.