• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PhoenixDawn

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
IMPORTANT NEWS:

www.ilmattino.it

Coronavirus a Napoli, pazienti gravi trattati con farmaco anti-artrite

Grazie ad una collaborazione tra l’Azienda Ospedaliera dei Colli e Istituto Nazionale Tumori Irccs Fondazione Pascale, due pazienti affetti da polmonite severa Covid 19 sono stati trattati con...

Press Release published by Il Mattino (italian newspaper)

Very promising results have been observed in Italy, especially in sever cases thanks to an off label medicine already in the first 24 hours after infusion. The same medicine has showed good results also in 21 chinese patients. The protocol does not interfere with normal treatment.

We might actually be on the way to cure this fucking thing.
Good news - I think this is the same drug/off label use that is also being tested in China in some studies to see how effective it is? I don't think it's exactly a 'cure', but for people who have the severe/worse lung damage it can help to prevent it from getting worse and hopefully lead to recovery it sounds like. More testing needed obviously, but at this point any news is good news with this virus.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What's "good" about this spreading worldwide is that it is more likely that novel treatments or cures could be found as it reduces the likelihood that research would be hampered by national constraints, be it due to lack of supplies, expertise, politics, or regulations. Once anything positive is found, it is likely that others somewhere will try to resort to it and it would lead to an exponential adoption as those who might normally be resistant to adopt some novel approach due to the above reasons would orient their resources or attention to it.

Basically, one advantage in the modern era is that information can flow more freely, and when something works it will tend to be replicated elsewhere. It's true outside of the medical field too.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I'm sorry, but watching that video, it started off in bad faith with the late night joke about letting it spread to everyone.
I don't think you know what bad faith means but whatever, you do you.

IMPORTANT NEWS:

www.ilmattino.it

Coronavirus a Napoli, pazienti gravi trattati con farmaco anti-artrite

Grazie ad una collaborazione tra l’Azienda Ospedaliera dei Colli e Istituto Nazionale Tumori Irccs Fondazione Pascale, due pazienti affetti da polmonite severa Covid 19 sono stati trattati con...

Press Release published by Il Mattino (italian newspaper)

Very promising results have been observed in Italy, especially in sever cases thanks to an off label medicine already in the first 24 hours after infusion. The same medicine has showed good results also in 21 chinese patients. The protocol does not interfere with normal treatment.

We might actually be on the way to cure this fucking thing.
I hope so too.

Gabe

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Good news - I think this is the same drug/off label use that is also being tested in China in some studies to see how effective it is? I don't think it's exactly a 'cure', but for people who have the severe/worse lung damage it can help to prevent it from getting worse and hopefully lead to recovery it sounds like. More testing needed obviously, but at this point any news is good news with this virus.

I guess i wasn't clear enough: i never said THIS IS THE CURE (multiple people felt the need to point out that "this isn't a cure!!!") ^_^''
The fact is that lung inflamation and kidney failure are the worst parts of this virus. Patientsare already being treated with antivirals and keeping the inflamation in check in severe cases leads to potentially MUCH better treatment.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
As was mentioned, that treatment isn't a cure. It's a way to mitigate the runaway effect caused in cases where the virus triggers cytokine release syndrome, which is kind of like a positive feedback loop where immune cells activated by the virus in turn produce signals telling other immune cells to activate, resulting in a very dangerous inflammatory overreaction that can cause severe organ damage and death.

The treatment is an antibody that binds one of the signals (cytokines) released by activated immune cells so that it can't activate other cells.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Translated:

Thanks to a collaboration between the Colli Hospital and the Istituto Nazionale Tumori Irccs Pascale Foundation, two patients with severe Covid 19 pneumonia were treated with tocilizumab, an off label anti-interlukin 6 drug that is usually used in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and is the drug of choice in the treatment of cytochemical release syndrome after treatment with CAR-T cells.

[...]

"Already 24 hours after the infusion, encouraging improvements were highlighted especially in one of the two patients, who had a more severe clinical picture" explain Montesarchio and Ascierto. "In the Chinese experience - they add - 21 patients were treated who showed an important improvement already in the first 24-48 hours after treatment, which is carried out with a single administration and which acts without interfering with the therapeutic protocol based on antiviral drugs used "On the basis of these first elements, the possibility of treating other critically ill patients is being evaluated."

Haha, if this is true, the person I worry about the most, my mom, may actually be the strongest of my whole family. She has RA and is taking either that drug, or a similar drug.

That would be great, if this can be something used to mitigate the symptoms.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Someone at my university caught the coronavirus while studying abroad. They won't be able to come back to the US for a while.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
As was mentioned, that treatment isn't a cure. It's a way to mitigate the runaway effect caused in cases where the virus triggers cytokine release syndrome, which is kind of like a positive feedback loop where immune cells activated by the virus in turn produce signals to other immune cells to activate, resulting in a very dangerous inflammatory overreaction that can cause severe organ damage and death.

The treatment is an antibody that binds one of the signals (cytokines) released by activated immune cells so that it can't activate other cells.

I didn't understand half of it.
It's still something right?

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
New case in Toronto.

Patient is a women in her 40's who traveled from Colorado.

toronto.ctvnews.ca

Ontario reports four new cases of COVID-19, bringing the total to 32

Ontario health officials have confirmed four positive cases of COVID-19 on Sunday, bringing the total number of cases in the province to 32.

In a news release issued on Sunday, health officials said that the patient is a woman in her 40s who returned from Colorado on March 2. She presented herself to Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre's emergency department in Toronto.

The patient was discharged home the same day where she remains in self-isolation, officials said.

The hospital took all necessary precautions and followed standard operating procedures, including testing and assessment," health officials said in a statement. "Toronto Public Health is actively engaged in contact tracing and case management."

ReactionShot

Oct 25, 2017
Hospitals in South Korea are running out of medical supplies; nurses report that they have to reuse disposable protective equipments.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Also, what is the best map to use to track cases and their location?

My dad has gone to Palm Springs now and while there are no (confirmed, who the heck knows with the lack of testing) cases, I want to keep an eye. If a case pops up in Palm Springs, my mom would probably make him quarantine when he gets home.

Edit: Damnit, there is a confirmed case in the county.

Last edited:

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry, but watching that video, it started off in bad faith with the late night joke about letting it spread to everyone.

What are you even on about? If you really watched the video then you didn't get any of it. Why are you even talking about "believing" him? That wasn't even the point of the video.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
We have to downplay any type of good news it feels like with some people around here

I don't see a problem with explaining what this treatment is meant to do. It's good news but it's important to give as much information as possible so that people aren't inadvertently misled into thinking it's the silver bullet. I don't think anybody was trying to be disingenuous about the treatment or to downplay what it does.

Last edited:

ReactionShot

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa reports first 3 cases of coronavirus.

I don't understand it. Other countries have daily official reports but here in the U.S. people have to dig into Twitter feeds to get the latest updates. The CDC page still says that U.S. only has 164 cases in total.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

I don't understand it. Other countries have daily official reports but here in the U.S. people have to dig into Twitter feeds to get the latest updates. The CDC page still says that U.S. only has 164 cases in total.

Each local jurisdiction is responsible for announcing cases. I agree though it feels like we need a better coordinated national response.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's riots and protests in various Italian prisons right now. People fear getting the contagion and not really being in the best conditions to handle it, plus the fact that visits are now banned because of the virus the morale isn't very high. In Modena 3 inmates died. In Pavia 2 guards were taken as hostages, possibly beaten up. Inmates barricaded themselves in Frosinone, too. Napoli and Salerno are having incidents as well.

www.repubblica.it

Coronavirus, s'infiamma la protesta nelle carceri: morti tre detenuti a Modena, sequestrati due agenti a Pavia

I due poliziotti sarebbero stati anche picchiati. A Modena altri due rianimazione. Barricati anche a Frosinone. Per il sindacato della polizia penitenziaria &q…

Gabe

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Italy

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Just had a disturbing conversation with my very right-leaning father in law. Is it the far-right personality consensus that this thing is nothing to worry about and we are scaring the markets into a recession over nothing? Is that the play now?

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Kentucky's governor announced that there were 3 more positive cases (total of 4) an hour or so ago on facebook...so you know, could be worse.

There's a website tracking this for Kentucky at least. Of the 21 people in the state tested, 4 positive.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't understand half of it.
It's still something right?
That's my bad.

In short, one way many immune cells respond to invaders is by releasing signals that tell other cells to come help kill them. Those cells that get called in pass it on and release more signals. Some viruses can cause a very strong response, leading to a domino effect. More and more cells join in and tell others to cause an inflammation to fight the virus. Think of how a fever is good for fighting bacteria and viruses, but if the fever becomes too high, organs get damaged. So it's not the virus killing you, but your body destroying itself trying to kill it. It would be like blowing up your house to take care of rats in the basement.

So yeah, for the severe cases, it can potentially be helpful, even if it won't do anything to the virus itself. This drug makes one of those signals unavailable so the reaction can't keep intensifying.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Just had a disturbing conversation with my very right-leaning father in law. Is it the far-right personality consensus that this thing is nothing to worry about and we are scaring the markets into a recession over nothing? Is that the play now?
They probably think it is being overblown by the media to hurt Trump's reelection chances because their dear leader called it a Democratic hoax. I'm sure the conservative media are pushing that narrative, too.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
They probably think it is being overblown by the media to hurt Trump's reelection chances because their dear leader called it a Democratic hoax. I'm sure the conservative media are pushing that narrative, too.

Yeah, it's insane. They are Literally pandering this. Right Wing/Trump voters are the only ones I've talked to who aren't scared of this shit at all. And they've all said they have "theories" on why this is even a thing at this particular time. One of them even tried to bet me a $100 that I wouldn't catch it. I took that bet of course. If I catch it, it's like 'well. At least I got $100 out of this bum deal to go buy toilet paper or something'. If I don't catch it, I'll be happy that this whole thing turned around and he can take me $100 (although honestly at this point, I'm not sure if Corona is going anywhere and he mentioned no time stipulation to our bet) :/ 🤷‍♂️