• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Aren't mutations random and thus usually result in weaker/worse versions.

Like 95+% of mutations result in the death of a strain, 4-5% result in stagnancy, 0.5% result in it being more effective or something

Making those numbers up but it's like mutation is a normal, mundane aspect of virology which isn't some sci fi horror fare

Basically, yeah. A virus needs its host to survive, so strains that are super lethal can't compete effectively with its less lethal mutations.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Hospitals and facilities in the Pittsburgh area are not taking extra precautions with their employees and contractors, I really suspect it's gonna hit hard and spread fast unless something changes here soon.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Aren't mutations random and thus usually result in weaker/worse versions.

Like 95+% of mutations result in the death of a strain, 4-5% result in stagnancy, 0.5% result in it being more effective or something

Making those numbers up but it's like mutation is a normal, mundane aspect of virology which isn't some sci fi horror fare
A more deadly virus is usually less effective.
From an evolutionary fitness perspective, less deadly viruses do better, both because a non dead hosts can infect more people than dead ones and because we take them less seriously as a society, which is why the cold is the most common viral infection. It doesn't mean that you can't get mutations that make it worse though.

Oct 28, 2017
Have there been any other school closures (due to coronavirus) in the US yet? Was looking and couldn't find anything

Yes, there are a few in Westchester county. The districts are also quickly trying to get teachers equipped and ready for distance teaching. We are being told to make sure we have all of our equipment should we not be able to come back to school. It feels more like when as opposed to if we will close.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
There's a lot of annoying copy going around. It drives my bonkers that the BBC keep referring to it as "the deadly coronavirus"

Like, wtf, it's not "deadly" by any definition of the word

I'd like to think news media is calling it deadly to get the general public to take it seriously.

As we can see, it just makes people panic and buy all the toilet paper.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hospitals and facilities in the Pittsburgh area are not taking extra precautions with their employees and contractors, I really suspect it's gonna hit hard and spread fast unless something changes here soon.
That was a huge problem during SARS and why in many (most? all?) countries in Asia you have designated fever wards and clinics that take all suspected patients in the case of an outbreak.

But obviously, learning from other countries experience is for cowards and commies.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Just had a bit of a lightbulb moment.

Can we use thermometers guns to track elderly parents temperatures, I mean you can get the in ear ones, but yeah the proximity is an issue. I DO NOT want to give my parents the disease even if I will be ok, or live through this very easily.

I mean, sure a thermometer gun is still within the 1 meter area, but it's still far away compared to the in ear method and will likely give me ample time and space to bury my face in my arm/elbow if I cough or sneeze.

someday

Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering what the deal was with all that toilet paper. People filling their carts with fucking toilet-paper. I mean, in a worst case scenario you just put a shower on your ass or use a newspaper or ... a cloth that you can wash. It's not THAT much of a priority, compared to medicine, water, food, etc.
People fighting over toilet-paper.
Again, women use toilet paper for more than just our butts and there are a lot of women in this world.

Edit - not saying I'm gonna fight another person over a roll though and my family isn't buying out stores.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I find Pedialyte to be ideal personally.

Pedialyte Electrolyte Powder, Variety Pack, Electrolyte Hydration Drink, 0.3 oz Powder Packs, 8 Count https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004M1BOC6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_yoczEbX6KGA1B

The powder is a lot easier to store and works great. My wife is a nurse and it's what she uses when when I get sick.
Yup pedialyte (there is adult versions) is better just because less sugar alone plus great to have around in case you catch a stomach virus.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
number of cases here in Georgia seems to be up to 5, and I got a phone call from my uncle telling that supposedly there are Corona cases at the university I'll be transferring to and attending this summer. I'm going to take that last bit with a massive grain of salt until it's actually reported on.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Heres a chart showing symptoms and onset time for COVID-19, flu, and cold.

BB10OKN4.img

From https://www.msn.com/en-in/health/fa...from-seasonal-flu-and-common-cold/ar-BB10OLeG
That's pretty mad... my "unknown virus" lines up much more neatly with Coronavirus than Flu (no sore throat, no runny noise). Batshit.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just had a bit of a lightbulb moment.

Can we use thermometers guns to track elderly parents temperatures, I mean you can get the in ear ones, but yeah the proximity is an issue. I DO NOT want to give my parents the disease even if I will be ok, or live through this very easily.

I mean, sure a thermometer gun is still within the 1 meter area, but it's still far away compared to the in ear method and will likely give me ample time and space to bury my face in my arm/elbow if I cough or sneeze.

Afaik they only pick up surface temps or ambient temps in air. Dont think they'd be any good for a reliable reading of a persons internal temperature

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I've been going and there seem to be the usual amount of people there. Only difference is I wipe machines before using them.

If it gets real bad guess I'll just stay home and do Ring Fit Adventure.

There are plenty of exercises you can do without having access to a gym. It may not be your usual routine and I know how much routines can matter to folks but it's not the end of the world.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Again, women use toilet paper for more than just our butts and there are a lot of women in this world.

Edit - not saying I'm gonna fight another person over a roll though and my family isn't buying out stores.
Yeah i know. But even then. There are still women who don't even use toiletpaper for that. Though i can understand you rather use toiletpaper, don't get me wrong. Just doesn't seem like the most essential thing to me. It's convenient, sure.
Anyway, i hope stores put a limit on how much people can buy. I hate people who buy the entire stock.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yes, there are a few in Westchester county. The districts are also quickly trying to get teachers equipped and ready for distance teaching. We are being told to make sure we have all of our equipment should we not be able to come back to school. It feels more like when as opposed to if we will close.
Plenty. I live in King County (where it started in the U.S) and dozens have school have closed. Even a student at a local high school (about 15 minutes out from Seattle) has contracted the virus.
Thanks. The local district here has 60k+ students. Closing the entire thing for at least a week is a massive, massive deal.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Tbh I'm not too immediately worried about supplies personally right now, I eat mostly fresh which people aren't racing to, though that pasta shortage is gonna be a bitch to work around. But yeah very good tip with the TP solution. My wife uses them after as a hygiene thing anyway before this even started so it should be pretty easy to adapt to if that's the only option.

I'm more concerned since despite being a 'classy' town we have a lot of poverty and I know tinned foods are pretty important to keeping that budget down. Hopefully the amount of microwave meals that perish reasonably fast will keep a supply going for now, but even then, that's still gonna work out more expensive in the long run and I really hope too many people aren't hit by it.

It's just kind of mad to me that we're already at this stage when the virus isnt even confirmed on the doorstep yet and our numbers aren't yet at that rapid climb.
Ah well okay. Yea I'd be upset too if I legit need toilet paper and it's all gone.

I'm like wondering if I should stock up on some canned foods just in case people go ape shit here and buy everything. I don't normally use canned foods so kind of hard to justify buying em if I don't think I'll be eating them when this blows over.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Does anyone know what these test kits are exactly? In Sweden they confirm covid with a simple nose swab.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ah well okay. Yea I'd be upset too if I legit need toilet paper and it's all gone.

I'm like wondering if I should stock up on some canned foods just in case people go ape shit here and buy everything. I don't normally use canned foods so kind of hard to justify buying em if I don't think I'll be eating them when this blows over.

Its weird, I dont want to say you should because personally I feel the panic buying is gonna be an issue of it's own. But given how quick everything here vanished, maybe grab a couple extra bags/tins anything you use regularly that's selling out like pasta or rice etc. A few extra wont hurt, its seemingly people filling whole trolleys with these things cleaning huge chunks of the supply out to a few people.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I really do not understand the toilet paper and paper towel madness. In colorado, I was just at target and everyone was buying multiple 30 packs. Like, yeah sure, have a stockpile for a month but why fucking panic over those two items?

GK86

Oct 25, 2017

twitter.com

Andrew Cuomo on Twitter

“Update: There are 13 additional cases of #Coronavirus in NYS since earlier today, bringing total to 89. Westchester: 70 NYC: 11 Nassau: 4 Rockland: 2 Saratoga: 2 There will be more cases as we test more—that’s a good thing bc we can deal with the situation based on more facts.”

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I really do not understand the toilet paper and paper towel madness. In colorado, I was just at target and everyone was buying multiple 30 packs. Like, yeah sure, have a stockpile for a month but why fucking panic over those two items?
Irrational behaviors when people panic is not an entirely new thing. Which is probably the biggest danger in all of this.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017

You should be stocking up some regardless of this virus. It's for general preparedness. Here in CAlifornia they tell everyone to have at least a couple days worth of stuff for the earthquakes.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

twitter.com

Andrew Cuomo on Twitter

“Update: There are 13 additional cases of #Coronavirus in NYS since earlier today, bringing total to 89. Westchester: 70 NYC: 11 Nassau: 4 Rockland: 2 Saratoga: 2 There will be more cases as we test more—that’s a good thing bc we can deal with the situation based on more facts.”

As someone who lives in Upstate New York I was somehow unaware that there were already 89 cases in NYS.

Well.

Shit.

ReactionShot

Oct 25, 2017
WHO Situation Report (Issue 47, 10a March 7 CET):

Global:
101927 cases (+3735)

China:
80813 cases (+102)
3073 deaths (+28)

Outside of China:
21110 cases (+3633)
413 deaths (+78)
93 countries/regions (+5)

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
What are your guys' thoughts on this article? Usual contrarian slate stuff?

slate.com

COVID-19’s Mortality Rate Isn’t As High As We Think

We need to be thinking about nursing homes, not schools. Hospitals, not planes.

I'd say it's a good take. The main dangers of this thing are that infected people with mild cases, of which there is a vast majority, will infect at-risk groups. It's going to be substantially more deadly in a nursing home than in the general population. That, and of course the quarantines and economic impacts.

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017

slate.com

The point is this graph, which I believe has been shown in this thread. It isn't even really about minimizing total cases (the area under each curve in the graph is roughly the same), it's about spreading it out so it doesn't overwhelm the system. There are a max number of hospital beds, icu beds, equipment, supplies, workers.

ER1yO7iXUAEDNyz

Deleted member 56266

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
User Banned (3 Days): Dismissive commentary surrounding the seriousness of an infectious disease.

slate.com

This is what people have been saying for a while, there is little to no real risk that this virus proposes to young healthy people, other than the possibility of you transmitting it to the elderly.

The actual death rate of this thing is in reality incredibly low.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Amtrak suspends nonstop Acela service between DC and New York as demand weakens amid coronavirus

www.cnbc.com

Amtrak suspends nonstop Acela service between DC and New York as demand weakens amid coronavirus

The Acela nonstop service will be temporarily suspended starting Tuesday, March 10 until Tuesday, May 26.

"As we are experiencing some reduced demand for our service, we are making temporary adjustments to our schedule, such as removing train cars or cancelling trains when there is a convenient alternative with a similar schedule that will have minimal impact to customers," Amtrak said in a statement.

"While there are no current travel restrictions on Amtrak, we understand customers may have concerns," the company said in a statement. "As a valued customer, we are waiving change fees on all existing or new reservations made before April 30, 2020."

Amtrak also plans to reduce the risk of the coronavirus spread by "increasing the frequency of cleaning services to multiple times a day, and in some cases, on an hourly basis." An increased supply of sanitizers and disinfectant wipes will be available for passengers and employees as well on trains and in stations.

Lakitu

Dec 8, 2017
I'm caring for elderly and very unwell patients, I start on Monday and I am extremely concerned about transmitting anything to them. I know if I did, I would feel so much guilt.

In the case that any of us get it and we get Pneumonia, have sleeping/resting positions been discussed? I know for a fact you must not sleep laying flat so I think that elevating your posture to be almost sitting may be better.

someday

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah i know. But even then. There are still women who don't even use toiletpaper for that. Though i can understand you rather use toiletpaper, don't get me wrong. Just doesn't seem like the most essential thing to me. It's convenient, sure.
Anyway, i hope stores put a limit on how much people can buy. I hate people who buy the entire stock.
If I don't have a bidet (which many in the US don't) what is the alternative besides toilet paper after peeing? Sure, I can use a washcloth 5 times a day and clean that every time, or I could use toilet paper. I'm not trying to make a big deal out of it, I'm just tired of some guys acting like we couldn't possibly have uses for every day items that are different than theirs.