• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Mar 29, 2018
Fellow gym goers, I'm in greater Philly and I usually go to the gym around 4 days a week. Pretty healthy 28 year old guy. Obviously taking every precaution with washing my hands before I go out and as soon as I come back home. Also wash hands immediately after working out and I never touch my face in public.

Should I work out from home or just go to the gym?
if you can avoid touching your face at the gym then go for it, but when I lift I always catch myself touching my face.
Listen, I don't mean to be harsh, but when you phrase any concern like "will I be okay" and you're an otherwise healthy young person, you're being really, really selfish.

If there are many infections in your area, no, don't go to the gym. NOT to keep yourself safe, if you're going and otherwise healthy. But to keep OTHERS safe. You might already have covid19 and it may be incubating inside you. You might even end up with no/weak symptoms. So by going to the gym you might infect others, even if you feel generally fine.

This is probably not the case but it's getting my goat. If you have any older relatives or unwell relatives, THEY are who you should be worrying about, along with anyone like that you might spread to by proxy.

ReactionShot

Oct 25, 2017
people also forget that we had a dramatic pandemy 10 years ago with over 150.000 deaths in over 200 countries.

The 2009 outbreak has a really low mortality rate (~0.06%); even though it managed to get a large portion of the population (10% in the U.S.) infected, the damage is quite limited. Actually this is, assumably, one of the reasons why WHO dropped the old pandemic classification system; the organization received some really harsh criticism afterwards, arguing that WHO overreacted. The 2009 outbreak actually led many to believe that flu-like pandemic is harmless in many ways; instead of active intervention medicial systems should just let nature run its course.

foggy

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, the 2-3 week thing also applies to the self isolation/quarantine period in case you're the one that's sick. You don't need to be mixing in delivered goods that could get you sicker or the delivery person infected. It's meant to keep you not reliant on perishable goods for that period.

Also in the Pacific Northwest (well along W coast in general) earthquake kits are a common thing to have that typically have canned goods for that couple week period too. Point being there's plenty of instances to utilize these kind of resources beyond "fallout shelter" tier longer term isolating.

Earthquakes are far more damaging to infrastructure and daily living than just quarantining yourself. Canned foods are not only useful for long expiration dates but also because you don't need power and heat to prepare or eat them. That's not even taking into account the idea of needing to stock up on batteries.

Be cautious, be smart, take it seriously, but pump the brakes.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Have there been any other school closures (due to coronavirus) in the US yet? Was looking and couldn't find anything

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well things seem to have shit the bed where I am. Water is gone. Toilet roll is gone. Hand wash is gone. Rice, pasta and tinned foods, gone. There are currently no documented cases in our immediate area and the country is seeing one of the slower spreads still currently.

Lots of people in the area on social media have spent the latter half of the Saturday complaining about the shrinking options for meals and I actually had a friend come round to get a couple toilet rolls because the other option was kitchen roll.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
On a happier note , bias against Chinese restaurants be damned, in an effort to support local Chinese businesses, this is getting tried tonight mmmm

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Well things seem to have shit the bed where I am. Water is gone. Toilet roll is gone. Hand wash is gone. Rice, pasta and tinned foods, gone. There are currently no documented cases in our immediate area and the country is seeing one of the slower spreads still currently.

Lots of people in the area on social media have spent the latter half of the Saturday complaining about the shrinking options for meals and I actually had a friend come round to get a couple toilet rolls because the other option was kitchen roll.
If there's baby wipes still, try to get those over toilet paper. Just don't flush it.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
The 2009 outbreak has a really low mortality rate (~0.06%); even though it managed to get a large portion of the population (10% in the U.S.) infected, the damage is quite limited. Actually this is, assumably, one of the reasons why WHO dropped the old pandemic classification system; the organization received some really harsh criticism afterwards, arguing that WHO overreacted. The 2009 outbreak actually led many to believe that flu-like pandemic is harmless in many ways; instead of active intervention medicial systems should just let nature run its course.

Was that death rate constant since the beginning of the outbreak?

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How long does it take for a confirmed case to get reported? There is a state that has a case that I haven't seen reported in the news and isn't on Johns Hopkins coronavirus map.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Fellow gym goers, I'm in greater Philly and I usually go to the gym around 4 days a week. Pretty healthy 28 year old guy. Obviously taking every precaution with washing my hands before I go out and as soon as I come back home. Also wash hands immediately after working out and I never touch my face in public.

I've been going and there seem to be the usual amount of people there. Only difference is I wipe machines before using them.

If it gets real bad guess I'll just stay home and do Ring Fit Adventure.

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
Don't people know if you have running water you can just wash your butt? Everyone buying all the toilet roll is crazy.

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas

I've kept on going I just make sure to use the wipes mine provides before and after. Less people than usual for sure but I go to a pretty small gym.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
has there been any cases of someone getting the virus twice? im assuming its not one and done and you can get it multiple times.

There are some cases reported in China, but it's still under study and there's a very high chance that some people have been mistakenly declared negative and had traces of the virus in their bodies for more than 20 days after the disappearing of the symptoms.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting thing, though.
The overall percentage of severe/critical cases is around 15% (as per https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/)

But for some reason, it's much much worse in China than everywhere else. In China, it's nearly 25%. Everywhere else put together, it's 3%.
Thoughts?

Two factors I can think of:
1- China has a very large percentage of smokers, and prior respiratory strain seems to be a big factor for how bad you get it.
2- Preliminary genetic analysis of the virus shows that there seem to be two major strains (called L and S), one much more aggressive. The aggressive strain was mostly contained via China's containment efforts. What got out was the milder strain because it is easier able to slip under containment measures. So China essentially got a worse version of the virus.

Source: https://www.deseret.com/u-s-world/2020/3/5/21166249/coronavirus-outbreak-second-strain-l-s

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I work at a manufacturing plant (latex) and it's a really good job. I'm worried now about getting laid off if they have lockdowns (we ship all around the world, thousands of pounds of material per shipment). I just bought a house and this shit is killing my anxiety, besides being scared of the disease and shit too (I'm overweight) and my aging late 60's parents. This shit is wild
If it's used for medical supplies, you're not going to get laid off.

And obesity is not a known risk group, unless you also have diabetes or heart problems. For your parents, just talk with them and make sure they're taking precautions.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If there's baby wipes still, try to get those over toilet paper. Just don't flush it.

Tbh I'm not too immediately worried about supplies personally right now, I eat mostly fresh which people aren't racing to, though that pasta shortage is gonna be a bitch to work around. But yeah very good tip with the TP solution. My wife uses them after as a hygiene thing anyway before this even started so it should be pretty easy to adapt to if that's the only option.

I'm more concerned since despite being a 'classy' town we have a lot of poverty and I know tinned foods are pretty important to keeping that budget down. Hopefully the amount of microwave meals that perish reasonably fast will keep a supply going for now, but even then, that's still gonna work out more expensive in the long run and I really hope too many people aren't hit by it.

It's just kind of mad to me that we're already at this stage when the virus isnt even confirmed on the doorstep yet and our numbers aren't yet at that rapid climb.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
Interesting thing, though.
The overall percentage of severe/critical cases is around 15% (as per https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/)

But for some reason, it's much much worse in China than everywhere else. In China, it's nearly 25%. Everywhere else put together, it's 3%.
Thoughts?

In some places, like Wuhan (at least at the beggining of the epidemy), the hospitals probably tested only the symptomatic cases. And this is exactly what Italy will be doing in the next days, as declared by the governments. People that will go under testing are the symptomatic ones and the people that stayed in close contact with them.

EDIT: And this explains also the higher fatality rate in Italy. It's not only the older population (though most of the victims were ~81 years old), but we've been doing less tests in the last week. There are not enough tests for all of the population.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
If it's used for medical supplies, you're not going to get laid off.

And obesity is not a known risk group, unless you also have diabetes or heart problems. For your parents, just talk with them and make sure they're taking precautions.
We don't do too much med supplies I dont think but thats a good point. If glove sources deplete worldwide companies are gonna need more raw material suppliers like us. That might actually be some more business

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Don't people know if you have running water you can just wash your butt? Everyone buying all the toilet roll is crazy.
I was wondering what the deal was with all that toilet paper. People filling their carts with fucking toilet-paper. I mean, in a worst case scenario you just put a shower on your ass or use a newspaper or ... a cloth that you can wash. It's not THAT much of a priority, compared to medicine, water, food, etc.
People fighting over toilet-paper.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
How does these test kits work and what are special about them? I saw an article here in Sweden where they just do a deep nose swab to confirm covid?

ReactionShot

Oct 25, 2017
Not a thing in the west. Mostly in ME and Islamic countries. But yeah.

Dont see why it would be a stretch for most people on here, given some of the eye rasing threads we get.

This is the official report from Mainland China on March 6:

23784 active cases in total, 5737 serious/critical
53726 cases recovered
3042 deaths
80552 cases in total

22695 active cases in Hubei (95.4%), 5588 serious/critical (24.6% of the active cases)
41966 cases recovered
2931 deaths
67592 cases in total

1089 active cases outside Hubei, 149 serious/critical (13.6% of the active cases)

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. Interesting his wife apparently didn't get it.

Sounds like people should be stocking on gatorade instead of water.

You would think the lack of nasal symptoms should make this thing less contagious if people just practice proper hygiene.
Don't clean the shelves, but gatorade, powerade, or other sports drinks can be great for illness that puts you in bed a lot. Balances your heavy water intake with sodium, you got some fast calories to burn... all in one. Supplement with food.

sasuke_91

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Why's the amount of deaths so high in the US? 19 deaths already with only 409 reported cases? That's almost 5%.
Or are they not testing for the virus properly and the amount of cases is much higher?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

c83fgLf.jpg

(I don't have the source in english, but this reported on Israeli news)

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Don't clean the shelves, but gatorade, powerade, or other sports drinks can be great for illness that puts you in bed a lot. Balances your heavy water intake with sodium, you got some fast calories to burn... all in one. Supplement with food.

I find Pedialyte to be ideal personally.

Pedialyte Electrolyte Powder, Variety Pack, Electrolyte Hydration Drink, 0.3 oz Powder Packs, 8 Count https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004M1BOC6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_yoczEbX6KGA1B

The powder is a lot easier to store and works great. My wife is a nurse and it's what she uses when when I get sick.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Why's the amount of deaths so high in the US? 19 deaths already with only 409 reported cases? That's almost 5%.
Or are they not testing for the virus properly and the amount of cases is much higher?

Most of the deaths are from elderly patients from the Lifecare Center in Kirkland, WA, and yes also the testing kits from the CDC are in very short supply. Some states have less than 20 kits available for testing.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There is very little testing done, mostly to people with serious symptoms, and most of the deaths are from on nursing home where the population was very vulnerable (which has not yet been fully tested by the way).

Mar 29, 2018
"The results suggest the virus isn't mutating into a more dangerous version. In fact, it's possible newer mutations are making the virus less deadly."

I hope this is the case.
Aren't mutations random and thus usually result in weaker/worse versions.

Like 95+% of mutations result in the death of a strain, 4-5% result in stagnancy, 0.5% result in it being more effective or something

Making those numbers up but it's like mutation is a normal, mundane aspect of virology which isn't some sci fi horror fare