• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ayato_Kanzaki

Nov 22, 2017
2.5 R0 is really high. The flu's R0 is only 1.3 in comparison.

Isn't that because a lot of people are already vaccinated against the flu? After watching the video where the first chinese doctor contaminated his whole team before the first symptoms showed up, I wouldn't understimate the degree of contagion.

My job (tech support) force me to get in contact with a lot of people, and most of them travel a lot in poor countries, where it can be expected that quarantine and testing will be poorly executed. I am so going to catch it...
I can at least limit the visits to my family.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Well we are officially stuck on the boat another 5+ hours till the guys tests come back. All food is open and we can go back to our rooms now at least

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
My 16yo son just developed a dry cough on Fri, but no fever and feels fine. We are in Broward, FL. Very concerning, but trying not to overreact. Going to monitor him closely.

Gabe

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Italy
If you're asked to isolate for more than a few weeks have local authorities worked out how you can get food and supplies?

As of now we CAN leave our homes (well technically not me specifically, i'm talking in general), but we do have delivery services and such for in-city things. Not sure how they are gonna handle deliveries from storages outside the cities.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
How are they keeping people in the redzone? I imagine police wouldn't be able to in such a big area?

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
The only reason it wouldn't be possible is because the US has strict building codes. Don't see why they couldn't do it otherwise????????????

The Chinese can force 40,000 medical staff to march into infection zone and put all resources into building the hospitals. No other country can do that.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Bad news from British Columbia, Canada.

6 new cases have been found.

2 from Iran, 2 from the Grand Princess cruise, and 2 in a Vancouver care home.

globalnews.ca

B.C. declares COVID-19 outbreak at North Vancouver care home, 6 new cases announced | Globalnews.ca

Two new cases and a previously-announced case are connected to the Lynn Valley Care Centre, while two others were passengers on the Grand Princess cruise ship.

Dr. Bonnie Henry said a previously announced case of COVID-19, likely contracted in the community, is a care worker at the Lynn Valley Care Centre, where two residents have now also tested positive for the virus.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
As of now we CAN leave our homes (well technically not me specifically, i'm talking in general), but we do have delivery services and such for in-city things. Not sure how they are gonna handle deliveries from storages outside the cities.

Do you have supplies before all this?

And what do you mean "Stay at home as much as you can"? is this message just for Italy's community?

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Scheduled to go on a trip to Hawaii this weekend. I'm hovering over the cancellation button on all my shit. Waste of like 1,800 and the time off given I'm going to sit at home all week instead. But like, it's progressed far enough that it would be genuinely dumb to go right?

There is a check list for those wondering if they should cancel their plans. I posted it earlier.

Edit:

www.uth.edu

Story

UTHealth is a comprehensive academic health university in Texas, uniting schools of dentistry, medicine, nursing, public health, biomedical sciences and biomedical informatics.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017

MrPressStart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I work for a hospital. She was asked to attend a meeting regarding planning For Corona. She got home and she (being a nurse for years never gets bothered) had us go out to stock up on supplies. It's not a matter of if... it's when at this point. I was even advised to call my mom and tell her to keep her visiting friends away as we are about 3 weeks away from some shit.
I also heard it has mutated and they are puzzled by it.
Get your supplies people

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
I'm not in one of the red zones in Italy, but quite close. This is scary, yes, but we're lucky they decided (hopefully not too late) to define new and much bigger red zones. In two weeks time we'll see a slow down in cases, at least in northern Italy. I prefer this than what's happening in Usa (even if I think they'll probably do the same when they'll have hundreds/thousands new cases per day).

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I work for a hospital. She was asked to attend a meeting regarding planning For Corona. She got home and she (being a nurse for years never gets bothered) had us go out to stock up on supplies. It's not a matter of if... it's when at this point. I was even advised to call my mom and tell her to keep her visiting friends away as we are about 3 weeks away from some shit.
Get your supplies people

yeah, I think hospitals got the real lowdown that the public isn't getting. Governments probably don't want to spur a panic.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Get your supplies people
How much supplies are we talking? And where do you live?

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
www.yourcentralvalley.com

Madera County reports 1st confirmed coronavirus case in Central Valley

MADERA COUNTY, Calif. (KSEE/KGPE) — A Madera County couple who returned from a recent cruise have been reported to be the Central Valley’s first confirmed case of coronavirus, according…

Idk why so many people are still going out on vacations and shit
this is as close as it's gotten to me, I think

good to see they're (hopefully) on top of it, but maybe I'll wash my hands an extra ten times next time I go out

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
not trying to over react but she has a masters in nursing and has worked in critical care triage much of her career. She had me wiping my cell phone down... and she is always calm about sickness and shit.
We live in the south east us
What in particular did she learn that made her suddenly lose her shit?

This is the first time I'm questioning whether I should even go out for the day to shop, go to a cafe, etc. I live in Madison WI. This is gonna be life for the next several months, isn't it. Fuck.

AMAGON

Prominent Member
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It sucks that I'm sick and not sure if its the allergies or thinking it could be this virus. Its making me a little paranoid as I have a cough that is seemingly going away now but a running nose and a sore throat.

I'm on dayquil and taking sore throat candy which is helping today.

And no, I haven't left the country (US)

I always get sick when the weather changes from hot to cold and back. Fuck the east coast.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Apologies if already posted, this is part of tweet chain covering a press briefing from today at the Lifecare Center in Kirkland, WA. This one in particular is concerning, never heard emergency level symptoms could manifest this quickly till now:

This may just be for elderly patients but still that's pretty damn worrying regardless.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
So they need to be in combination? Or can they be isolated?
No, there's any number of flu-like symptoms you can develop. You may have some but not others, you may have all of them, or you may feel almost entirely fine.

Those three are just the highest percentage-wise, so you're most likely to develop one or all of them (but you can still be infected even if you have other symptoms but never those).

If you're in an area with known infection and you start to develop symptoms, you should contact your PCP or local health department for instructions. And you should start to isolate yourself just in case (most of the people on this forum would be fine, but there are a lot of people out there who you could spread the disease to who would not be as lucky).

MrPressStart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Batteries? You think the grid is gonna go down?

I was told that we can expect the flu cases to drop over the next two weeks and in about three weeks this will be mass spread. Older, homeless, underlying conditions, young kids and poor areas with poor hygiene will be run thru.
I'm just saying they were told to prepare to have our clinics turned into urgent cares with public hysteria peaking

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
I'm also worried about Italy now.. and thinking of the US. My god
And it's gonna happen to my country too. And both government is fucking shit..

<Disinfects before facepalming>

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
I was told that we can expect the flu cases to drop over the next two weeks and in about three weeks this will be mass spread. Older, homeless, underlying conditions, young kids and poor areas with poor hygiene will be run thru.
I'm just saying they were told to prepare to have our clinics turned into urgent cares with public hysteria peaking
Wait, young kids? Isn't that totally contrary to what we've been hearing?

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
This is the end of society isnt it

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There were people earlier that claimed the US could easily do that. Not sure why people thought that was possible.

Just to point out, during SARS outbreak China already build an similar hospital.
So it was not the first time, plus since the risk of new SARS outbreak they probably stocked supplies and machinery for building more hospital.

Probably it's possibility to build the building, the issue is if the US have ventilators, machines, and support stuff etc available on hands. It take months to order new ones.

You can use army personal to staff them, but i not sure that the army have the machines that are needed for the COVID-19.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Apologies if already posted, this is part of tweet chain covering a press briefing from today at the Lifecare Center in Kirkland, WA. This one in particular is concerning, never heard emergency level symptoms could manifest this quickly till now:

This may just be for elderly patients but still that's pretty damn worrying regardless.

The WHO report from China already stated that is very likely for somebody infected to get the symptoms. It's more a matter of when not if. But still, the majority will get mild symptoms. But if somebody from the risk categories gets the virus, it can be very bad like that.