• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SushiReese

Oct 30, 2017
A closer look into what happen in one month period of quarantined Wuhan city. I am surprised it also mentioned Dr Liwenliang in GNTV. It mainly focuses on the quarantine method and experience of HC workers in Wuhan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU9FVqwO4TM&t=1365s

It's crazy to think that even after the first week of Wuhan lock down. Due to limitation of testing kit, there were only 356 cases diagnosed in the Wuhan on Jan 30th the exact 7th day of quarantine. We could not underestimate the spread of the virus.

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
i was thinking that the US being backwards and outside of a handful of cities, having no mass transit system may save us a lot of lives.

On the flipside, rural healthcare here is abysmal. My state has a case way out in the sticks that they didn't test until after they sent the patient home. And I'm sure she infected people all over the community.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
Non-confirmed rumors of massive contagion taking place at a Hospital in Madrid (La Milagrosa). Waiting for official sources.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Probably been posted already but I didn't see it until today, Jesus fucking Christ
I'm approaching full on "don't leave the house except for work, period" mode. No visitors, no visits, not even sure if getting stuff delivered will be safe.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I am at my graduation party (Netherlands) and I am having a full blown panic attack because of this shit lmao.

xMM4nsonx

Nov 1, 2017
In my opinion, they should have locked down also the province of Turin.
It is the biggest city in Piemonte, near Lombardia, and the number of positive cases is constantly increasing.

That's right. And the situation isn't good.
Private hospital like Koelliker will start the emergency room from March 9, for example. Not good.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
www.reuters.com

Americans divided on party lines over risk from coronavirus: Reuters/Ipsos poll

Americans who now find themselves politically divided over seemingly everything are now forming two very different views of another major issue: the dangers of the new coronavirus.

Coronavirus is political now...

Honestly, the article is way less bad than the headline makes it sound. "About half of Democrats said they are washing their hands more often now because of the virus, compared to about four in 10 Republicans." Like, uh... That's not a huge difference. And it's true that it's much less of an imminent threat in rural red states than it is in urban blue states, so the 40%-20% "imminent threat" divide is pretty understandable.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I think all our travel plans are fucked. We need to accept it.

My parents were supposed to drive down from Canada next month. Their biggest concern is apparently Canadian travel insurance is not allowing for extra (I guess due to Corona?) and the fear of the border shutting down and being stuck here. I'm pretty sure the border will be fine (considering all the international flights still running in both US and Canada) but it's up to them :/ I did say that just waiting for a bit probably won't help, since realistically things may not improve until nect year when a successful vaccine is created.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Yeah it is ludicrous. Now we gotta wait for hours and the decks are more crowded than ever and 3k people cant go back to their rooms.
At least all topside restaurants(sans seafood) are open now to spread people out a little, even the wok and pasta are. But yeah it's a crappy situation. Word is they took 3 people off this morning and one was indeed just something like a heart attack but the other two are unknown.

But the longer they keep us on deck without separating they increase the risk of any disease spreading on board

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Probably been posted already but I didn't see it until today, Jesus fucking Christ
I'm approaching full on "don't leave the house except for work, period" mode. No visitors, no visits, not even sure if getting stuff delivered will be safe.

I've been very skeptical of the American system's willingness to do anything, but if these numbers start to bear out, you're going to see us go into Hunt for the Boston Marathon Bomber mode very quickly.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That 1.9mil icu is not a nice number to the actual number we can accommodate. I expect a lot of tent city zones.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
So could an italian era poster open a new thread about italys new lock downs?
My italian is so bad.

I mean, this is pretty unique in the west and hasn't been done before. Over 10 million in quaratine. This is basicely EUs wuhan.

Holy shit

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
So could an italian era poster open a new thread about italys new lock downs?
My italian is so bad.

I mean, this is pretty unique in the west and hasn't been done before. Over 10 million in quaratine. This is basicely EUs wuhan.

Holy shit
Do you think it is worth a new thread? Would it not spread the posts over two threads?

Gabe

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I'm the black sheep in a (large) family of doctors, i have relatives (working) in all the major hospitals in the area as well as family friends in hospitals in the US, Netherlands and France.

I'm in the hotzone here in Italy, on full lockdown and i'm quarantined myself.

To all those that are downplaying this or that have friends and families that treat this like a flu: PLEASE DON'T TAKE THIS LIGHTLY.

The problem isn't the mortality rate - which is no joke anyway - rather the clogging of hospitals and the infecting of doctors, MANY people i see seem to think that this is now the ONLY disease.
It's not.
Other diseases and illnesses needing treatment won't take a break to give this one some space.
ICU is needed by a ton of people everyday, you don't want to reach the point of "sorry...we don't have spots nor ventilation systems, also all the doctors are quarantined themselves soooo, bye?."

We are extremely lucky that our healthcare system turned out to be even better and more prepared than we initially thought, and that the virus exploded in the north.
Despite that, the system is now almost exploding and extreme measures are being discussed (moving cov-negative ICU patients in other hospitals far from the hot zone and such, which is no simple task to coordinate these days).
And i'm not kidding, we are REALLY close to having to choose who's in and who's not based on survival chances.

Stay at home as much as you can.
If you have questions, i'm here.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm the black sheep in a (large) family of doctors, i have relatives (working) in all the major hospitals in the area as well as family friends in hospitals in the US, Netherlands and France.

I'm in the hotzone here in Italy, on full lockdown and i'm quarantined myself.

To all those that are downplaying this or that have friends and families that treat this like a flu: PLEASE DON'T TAKE THIS LIGHTLY.

The problem isn't the mortality rate - which is no joke anyway - rather the clogging of hospitals and the infecting of doctors, MANY people i see seem to think that this is now the ONLY disease.
It's not.
Other diseases and illnesses needing treatment won't take a break to give this one some space.
ICU is needed by a ton of people everyday, you don't want to reach the point of "sorry...we don't have spots nor ventilation systems, also all the doctors are quarantined themselves soooo, bye?."

We are extremely lucky that our healthcare system turned out to be even better and more prepared than we initially thought, and that the virus exploded in the north.
Despite that, the system is now almost exploding and extreme measures are being discussed (moving cov-negative ICU patients in other hospitals far from the hot zone and such, which is no simple task to coordinate these days).
And i'm not kidding, we are REALLY close to having to choose who's in and who's not based on survival chances.

Stay at home as much as you can.
If you have questions, i'm here.
Good luck and please keep us updated.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I also think that the news about the lockdown in Italy deserve their own thread. It's quite unprecedented in the Western world.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
User banned (1 week): Conspiracy theories. Ignoring staff post.

Meanwhile :

Dear Valdis, dear Paolo,
I am writing to inform you that the Italian Government is planning to send to the Parliament a Report (Relazione al Parlamento) in accordance with Article 6 comma 2 a) of Law n. 243/2012. The latter envisages that deviations from existing structural deficit targets can be authorised by Parliament in the presence of extraordinary events outside of the government' s control.
As you are well aware, the Coronavirus COVID-19 has suddenly hit Italy very hard over the past two weeks. The government and regional authorities have given priority to the protection of citizens' health by locking down the infection clusters and by putting in place a series of preventive measures that affect broader regions and, in some respects, the entire country. For instance, the government today decided to close all of the country's schools and universities until 15 March.
In addition, other nations have announced restrictions on travel to Italy. A number of sectors of our economy, including transportation, lodging, tourist services, entertainment, cultural activities and trade fairs will suffer as a result. This new phase of the COVID-19 emergency will compound the contractionary effects on our manufacturing industry of falling international trade with China and third countries. The economic fallout will be broad and we cannot accurately predict its duration at this stage.

In light of this serious situation, we have decided to issue a package of support measures for the economy. The package consists primarily of an increase in the financial resources for the wage supplementation fund and for financial assistance to the most affected sectors and firms, including through the postponement of certain tax and social security payments and the provision of state guarantees to ensure that credit extension is maintained. In addition, we will provide extra funding for the public health-care system, civil protection and security forces, so they can, respectively, provide assistance to those affected by the disease and enforce prevention policies.
The package we are about to legislate is worth €6.3 billion in terms of impact on the general government deficit. Last September Parliament authorised a general government deficit of 2.2 percent of GDP in 2020. If Parliament approves the additional expenditure, the deficit projection for 2020 will rise to 2.5 percent of GDP.
The deficit estimate for this year is likely to change by the time we release our 2020 Stability Program. The trend in the public finances before the Coronavirus outbreak was extremely encouraging. Indeed, the deficit outturn for 2019 was much lower than expected, at 1.6 percent of GDP, versus a projection of 2.2 percent of GDP in October's Draft Budgetary Plan. Moreover, January and February 2020 have seen a continuation of the year-on-year decline in the borrowing requirement of the central government: at €32 billion, the twelve-month rolling deficit is the lowest since mid-2008. However, while starting from a stronger base, the Coronavirus outbreak will negatively affect the economic and budgetary data for March and our annual projections. At present, it is difficult to predict what the net impact of all these factors will be, but we are hopeful that the new estimate will be close to the original one.
The commitment we made in the September Report to Parliament and in the Draft Budgetary Plan 2020 was to allow at most a deterioration of 0.1 percent of GDP in the structural budget balance for this year. We reiterate this commitment while calling on Parliament and the European Commission to consider the 0.3 percent-of-GDP emergency package as a one-off budgetary item that will not recur once Italy overcomes the COVID-19 epidemic and its economic fallout, and should thus be excluded from the structural balance computations.
We are convinced that raising the tax burden to cover the cost of the emergency package at this stage could aggravate the downside risks for the Italian economy and hurt sentiment at a very delicate time. Italy will steadfastly resume its debt-reduction strategy as soon as conditions return to normality.

This country is so fucking done. The damage of the corona virus will be way over 40 billion and these fucking frauds are begging to use 6.3 billion more

WELCOME TO AUSTERITY LAND

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Update from Ontario, Canada.

Total number of patients tested for COVID-19: 1982
Negative: 1918
Currently under investigation: 36 (down from 77 yesterday)
Positive: 24
Resolved/Recovered: 4

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
www.reuters.com

Americans divided on party lines over risk from coronavirus: Reuters/Ipsos poll

Americans who now find themselves politically divided over seemingly everything are now forming two very different views of another major issue: the dangers of the new coronavirus.

Coronavirus is political now...

The American population is going to have an abject lesson in darwinian science and that anti vaxxers are little else but scum.

Maddeningly, the massive loss of life could have been easily avoided. Fuck sake, what and awful, awful shame.

Man, italy is about to lock down an area with ~10 million people.

So long for "not possible in the west"

One if the first powers the uk gov gave the medics was to forcibly quarantine people when needed. The second power they already stayed in their action plan and not one single person blinked about, even in the this thread, was to lock down entire cities and parts of the country, like that, to kill this thing.

Some of the people who think governments around wont do almost everything and anything to ensure they stay on top of this need to think again.

No one will blink an eye, because everyone will want to stay alive.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017