• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
If I'm visiting family in the US, am I better off just driving the 7 hours as opposed to the hour flight? It's gonna be a long ass drive but at the very least I am not in a crowded area

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018

Government of Canada invests $27M in coronavirus research - Canada.ca

To further contribute to global efforts to address the COVID-19 outbreak, today, the Honourable Patty Hajdu, Canada’s Minister of Health, and the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Canada’s Minister of Innovation, Science and Industry, announced an investment of nearly $27 million to fund coronavirus...

Canada trying to find a universal vaccine against all coronaviruses.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
I'm seeing unconfirmed reports about a quarantine building falling and trapping 70 people under it in China. Anyone have a source?

Nov 1, 2017
Seems like the powers that be in Canada are making sure people don't over panic about this, probably the right thing to do even as cases are treated.

Last edited:

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Cant really compared go China, though. It took an unprecendeted lockdown to get the numbers where they are today. The kind of lockdown is not going to fly over here, beside Trump administration wouldn't even think about taking that kind of economical hit, they prefer to sacrifice lives to keep the economy afloat.

The western media focus on lockdown and so people say no we can't do that to stop the outbreak.
But actually lock down in Wuhan is just a very first and one of the steps.
Consider the countries like other provinces got import cases. Or have community infection (Guangdong and Zhejiang).

There are very very much more actions been taken.

1. Everyone be told about the information like what they should do or what they shouldn't do. Everyone be told where are the more dangerous places they should be careful. (Flights, hospitals, elevators, any narrow space...).
2. Contact path tracking and transparent information: For cities we got infection map with real time data that you can check from the map the last confirm cases visited which supermarkets or live in which blocks. And the passengers on same flight or bus or train will be informed to take 14 days self quarantine.
3. The government ask to support the supplies of the citizens daily life. And ask for the supermarkets to provide food and supplies on normal price, the subway and bus to keep on but their opening windows are narrowed and have to do disinfect everyday. And the delivery apps also provide no-touch delivery and carriers/restaurants body temperature check and record everyday.
4. Over 40000 doctors and nurses are sent to Hubei and Wuhan from other provinces. 65 ECMO to be newly purchased from German or borrowed from other provinces are sent to Wuhan to save life.
5. The government encourages factories to produce more face masks and protection clothes. And the government removes tax for small businesses and reduce tax for big companies. The government remove personal social insurance fee for these months because most people stay at home.
6. The government cover all the payment for every covid-19 patients testing and cure. It's all free in China.
7. We can submit report or feedback to the government directly via wechat app. We can report anything from some people resell face masks at high price to local officers lie, the government take investigations.
8. From high schools to kindergarten teachers and students take online course and teachers do streaming at home.
9. Hospitals set up online QA and medicine delivery.

There are many many more methods.
Not only the lock down.

Last edited:

ReactionShot

Oct 25, 2017
I think we should stop reporting the cases minute by minute. They will rise that is sure but what do you get by knowing the exact number? It only helps spread the panic. Reporting new deaths is another thing but here it would be much more important to have the history of the case.

I do understand your point and I promise that it is not my intention to scare anyone. The thing is, without those updates we wouldn't have a comprehensive understanding of how this disease is spreading in a specific region, which is critical for people to be aware of, and evaluate the risks. If it is growing exponentially, we know an outbreak is out of control; on the other hand, if the growth is linear, as it almost is in South Korea now, it would be clear to us that the situation is, at least, partially in control. Comparing data between countries/regions and calculating the mortality rate also helps put things in context. I do apologize for any unpleasant feelings; I just feel that it is better to know the numbers.

Last edited:

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like dry cough and fever are the two most common symptoms after a study.

1) Fever
2) Dry Cough

Almost no upper respiratory issues. (Boogers headache, sneezing).

Anyway. Allergy Season is gonna make this a double whammy.

ReactionShot

Oct 25, 2017
I'm seeing unconfirmed reports about a quarantine building falling and trapping 70 people under it in China. Anyone have a source?

Yeah, official accounts on Chinese social networks have confirmed the news. It is a hotel building requisitioned as a quarantine zone; at the time of collapse there were 70 cases in the building. ~28 have been extracted so far.

Update: 32 extracted now.

Source (in Chinese)

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
Seems that Wuhan Increases patient quarantine to 28 days

Google Translate
According to the official Weibo news of the "News 1 + 1" column of CCTV, on March 6, Bai Yansong talked with Wu Hao, the head of the community prevention and control expert group of the central steering group.

Wu Hao said: Patients discharged from Wuhan must have 14 days of centralized isolation observation and 14 days of home medical isolation observation, and they must go through a total of 28 days of isolation observation period. The first 14 days are the observations of centralized medical isolation points. Generally, it is the acquisition or transformation of medical isolation points such as hotels or training schools for observation. In principle, each isolation point is matched by a doctor and a nurse for every 50 people, and there are other life support personnel. At the same time, there is a division-level leader cadre at the isolation point.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
_111095522_deaths_in_china_v2_x2_640-nc.png

www.bbc.com

Coronavirus death rate: What are the chances of dying?

The current best guess of a 1% death rate does not apply to everyone.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
The western media focus on lockdown and so people say no we can't do that to stop the outbreak.
But actually lock down in Wuhan is just a very first and one of the steps.
Consider the countries like other provinces got import cases. Or have community infection (Guangdong and Zhejiang).

There are very very much more actions been taken.

1. Everyone be told about the information like what they should do or what they shouldn't do. Everyone be told where are the more dangerous places they should be careful. (Flights, hospitals, elevators, any narrow space...).
2. Contact path tracking and transparent information: For cities we got infection map with real time data that you can check from the map the last confirm cases visited which supermarkets or live in which blocks. And the passengers on same flight or bus or train will be informed to take 14 days self quarantine.
3. The government ask to support the supplies of the citizens daily life. And ask for the supermarkets to provide food and supplies on normal price, the subway and bus to keep on but their opening windows are narrowed and have to do disinfect everyday. And the delivery apps also provide no-touch delivery and carriers/restaurants body temperature check and record everyday.
4. Over 40000 doctors and nurses are sent to Hubei and Wuhan from other provinces. 65 ECMO to be newly purchased from German or borrowed from other provinces are sent to Wuhan to save life.
5. The government encourages factories to produ more face masks and protection clothes. And the government removes tax for small businesses and reduce tax for big companies. The government remove personal social insurance fee for these months because most people stay at home.
6. The government cover all the payment for every covid-19 patients testing and cure. It's all free in China.
7. We can submit report or feedback to the government directly via wechat app. We can report anything from some people resell face masks at high price to local officers lie, the government take investigations.
8. From high schools to kindergarten teachers and students take online course and teachers do streaming at home.

There are many many more methods.
Not only the lock down.
But none of that is happening here either.... (and most likely won't happen here).

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have done this my whole life...OCD prepared me for this I guess

I'm supposed to visit my brother in May and I'm taking a wait and see approach to what's happening. I'd have to fly. The drive at 12+ hours is too long for the amount I would be visiting. So cancellation is always on the table.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
The US response greatly, greatly alarms me.

I cannot see anything else but a china like response once they realise the magnitude of the situation. Arguably worse seeing as it is extremely likely to spread across the country before they put measures in.

I'm expecting a headline one day that jumps the number of cases by four figures in a single day. They'll eventually and quickly defeat the virus, but not before a huge US citizen cost.

China has also donated a further $22 million dollars to get a vaccine for this thing.

For UK:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...and-to-give-gp-surgeries-protective-equipment

Whatever the gov is doing is holding very strong, for now. Let's just hope this continues until.the virus cases level and then drop off.

Last edited:

ReactionShot

Oct 25, 2017
59 new cases + 2 deaths in Spain, 500 cases + 10 deaths in total. (12p to 3p, Match 7) Source
8 new cases in Singapore, 138 in total. (8) Source

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I cannot see anything else but a china like response once they realise the magnitude of the situation. Arguably worse seeing as it is extremely likely to spread across the country before they put measures in.

I'm expecting a headline one day that jumps the number of cases by four figures in a single day. They'll eventually and quickly defeat the virus, but not before a huge US citizen cost.

China has also donated a further $22 million dollars to get a vaccine for this thing.

For UK:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...and-to-give-gp-surgeries-protective-equipment

We for sure won't get those numbers until reliable widespread tests are available. The reality is a lot more people than is currently reported have this virus, but when the actual numbers come out people will lose their minds.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

For UK:

Does the testing count include retesting? Presumably that has to be occurring.

ReactionShot

Oct 25, 2017
This is an old news (from February), but it seems that UK has the "three wisemen" protocol prepared:

Coronavirus: Weakest patients could be denied lifesaving care due to lack of funding for NHS, doctors admit

NHS patients could be denied lifesaving care during a severe coronavirus outbreak in Britain if intensive care units are struggling to cope, senior doctors have warned.

Under a so-called "three wise men" protocol, three senior consultants in each hospital would be forced to make decisions on rationing care such as ventilators and beds, in the event hospitals were overwhelmed with patients.

The medics spoke out amid frustration over what one said was the government's "dishonest spin" that the health service was well prepared for a major pandemic outbreak.

Independent

grkazan11

Nov 1, 2017
Fellow gym goers, I'm in greater Philly and I usually go to the gym around 4 days a week. Pretty healthy 28 year old guy. Obviously taking every precaution with washing my hands before I go out and as soon as I come back home. Also wash hands immediately after working out and I never touch my face in public.

Should I work out from home or just go to the gym?

Katzenbuckel

Aug 18, 2019
The thing is, without those updates we wouldn't have a comprehensive understanding of how this disease is spreading in a specific region, which is critical for people to be aware of, and evaluate the risks.

And that is exactly the point! The people who need to know get the numbers. For the general populations it would be sufficient to have a trend. Of course it is good for the transparency to have the numbers in the open but I think part of the reason people (in Europe) are freaking out is due to the overcoverage in the media. It is a severe crisis for sure but at the moment in Europe it is handled better than the media would suggest. I am involved in the prevention and control for Germany and besides that we have to work a lot and Masks are getting scarce we are fine. Of course it could all change and we will definitely see a large rise of patients here but that is fortunately still in the (near) future. We have the luxury that we had a bit more time than china to prepare.

Seems that Wuhan Increases patient quarantine to 28 days

Google Translate

That is strange because here we see that 10 days should be sufficient.

Jan 10, 2018
Reading on Twitter that CNN had a call with someone on the Corona cruise and turns out its a Trump worshipper.

Has anyone proper news source link, feels threadworthy

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fellow gym goers, I'm in greater Philly and I usually go to the gym around 4 days a week. Pretty healthy 28 year old guy. Obviously taking every precaution with washing my hands before I go out and as soon as I come back home. Also wash hands immediately after working out and I never touch my face in public.

if you can avoid touching your face at the gym then go for it, but when I lift I always catch myself touching my face.

Jan 10, 2018
And that is exactly the point! The people who need to know get the numbers. For the general populations it would be sufficient to have a trend. Of course it is good for the transparency to have the numbers in the open but I think part of the reason people (in Europe) are freaking out is due to the overcoverage in the media. It is a severe crisis for sure but at the moment in Europe it is handled better than the media would suggest. I am involved in the prevention and control for Germany and besides that we have to work a lot and Masks are getting scarce we are fine. Of course it could all change and we will definitely see a large rise of patients here but that is fortunately still in the (near) future. We have the luxury that we had a bit more time than china to prepare.

That is strange because here we see that 10 days should be sufficient.

Read the article of someone who tried to get tested but got everywhere a "you need to get tested, but we are not responsible, go away" response? Got massive circulation

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
A very major venue I used to work for in SoCal posted something about their summer programming/season today, and the first comment was asking when they were going to cancel their season :/

That organization can weather something like that but they are in a very fortunate position compared to most other venues.

The convention center due to E3 and Anime Expo?

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017

This virus could be out there for weeks or even months. You can''t just shut down for the entire time. Live your life but wash thoroughly and maybe don't hang around if someone else is hacking and coughing.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the advice Jay! I know that feel too haha and I've just been lifting at the gym and doing cardio at home, have you been going recently amid the virus?

yes, but only because I've been keeping a close eye on cases in my area (none so far). It's all about making informed decisions and then assessing risk.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
We for sure won't get those numbers until reliable widespread tests are available. The reality is a lot more people than is currently reported have this virus, but when the actual numbers come out people will lose their minds.
Most interesting data in my mind is still the Diamond Princess, because everyone on that boat got tested regardless of whether they had symptoms. So you can see a better idea of fatality rate just from being infected whether showing symptoms or not.

grkazan11

Nov 1, 2017
This virus could be out there for weeks or even months. You can''t just shut down for the entire time. Live your life but wash thoroughly and maybe don't hang around if someone else is hacking and coughing.

Thanks Roland! There's only so much we can do to prevent, I guess we just have to be diligent on hygiene and do our best to be on alert. I've been taking supplements of vitamins C, D, E recently as well.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
He repeated the same thing 5 times.
The "vested interest in hyping coronavirus"
is kind of a weird question. Is it true? Of course. But somehow I don't think anyone would ask a fireman that question in the context of fire prevention efforts. There's not going to be a satisfying answer besides "I believe this threat is real and that we aren't doing enough."