• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
it always was, as I've been saying throughout this thread.

exponential growth.

in a week, numbers raising in the "hundreds per day" will become thousands and then tens of thousands.

That really hasn't happened in China though. With China the numbers could be of course bs but Wuhan region has seen huge decline in cases from the first outbreak. Also in South Korea we have not seen any exponential growth after the outbreak started and more like steady around 200 a day (and they test far more people than any other country at the moment)

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This administration keeps getting away with shit.

Until one day it can't.... Vote in november people. Get everyone you know and vote these idiots out. Not just the president, but everyone whos ever defended him in the house and senate.

They are handling this coronavirus with politics not science.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Humanity was a mistake.

My mom works at a hospital in Germany and was just telling me what is going down there.

So they cannot restock any new masks and have been told by administration to use one mask per shift… and in two weeks they will be out of masks…

The hospital has also started locking away supplies because patients and visitors have taken to just taking anything that isn't bolted to the ground. "uh, some masks great I'll have some of those" or "hand sanitizer, just what I always wanted"… fuck me…

Also as we know people who come into contact with corona cases should stay home and self-isolate. Not however hospital staff they are expected to come back to work as if nothing happened. That is sure to stop the virus in its tracks.

Fuck anyone that bought a 500 pack of mask for themselves without a good reason!

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
did some shopping tonight, out in orange county. legitimately needed to get some toilet paper and i had forgotten about it all week. i also forgot about the uh, coronavirus, and wasn't expecting almost the entire aisle to be empty, but people fortunately didn't grab literally everything and salt the earth. talked about it with other customers who were also surprised and one guy even grabbed two of the single rolls and held them up with a big smile for a photo like he'd won the grand prize on a game show.

also had stocked up on hand soap several months ago because i have a tendency to use them and run out and forget that i need more. so all good there.

oh and at pax east there was a person selling face masks for $30 a box (of five). as in, someone selling them out of their car.

i wasn't tuned in to previous panics. was it this bad for swine flu, bird flu, or sars?
How was pax? I live on the cape and bought a Sunday pass but didn't go. It was 75% laziness and 25% nervousness. Got up and just didn't feel life making the drive.

As far as Sars, swine flu etc in the US no one I knew thought it was coming here or made any precautions for it. This is completely different for the states.

When i graduated high school I traveled Europe due six months starting in Nov 2000. Foot and mouth disease started while I was there and millions of animals were burned in cullings. I ate haggis for the first time in Northern Scotland 2 months before the outbreak.

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

微博

随时随地发现新鲜事!微博带你欣赏世界上每一个精彩瞬间,了解每一个幕后故事。分享你想表达的,让全世界都能听到你的心声!

China Red Cross sent a profession team to Iraq to support their hospitals with testing boxes and supplies.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
How was pax? I live on the cape and bought a Sunday pass but didn't go. It was 75% laziness and 25% nervousness. Got up and just didn't feel life making the drive.

As far as Sars, swine flu etc in the US no one I knew thought it was coming here or made any precautions for it. This is completely different for the states.

When i graduated high school I traveled Europe due six months starting in Nov 2000. Foot and mouth disease started while I was there and millions of animals were burned in cullings. I ate haggis for the first time in Northern Scotland 2 months before the outbreak.

pax was great, but it was apparently fewer people than the year before - probably due to nervousness and a little bit of sony pulling out. i've gone to seattle a few times but having it all on one show floor was a much better vibe. some people were taking precautions - masks, sanitizer, wipes, etc. at least most of the booths seemed that way.

that is also quite something that animals were burned in such a high number. i was in high school at the time so i was definitely not aware of happenings of that nature.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
3000 tests have been done in Sweden so far. The current number of infected is at 161, an increase of 24 since yesterday.

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
That really hasn't happened in China though. With China the numbers could be of course bs but Wuhan region has seen huge decline in cases from the first outbreak. Also in South Korea we have not seen any exponential growth after the outbreak started and more like steady around 200 a day (and they test far more people than any other country at the moment)
Cant really compared go China, though. It took an unprecendeted lockdown to get the numbers where they are today. The kind of lockdown is not going to fly over here, beside Trump administration wouldn't even think about taking that kind of economical hit, they prefer to sacrifice lives to keep the economy afloat.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
pax was great, but it was apparently fewer people than the year before - probably due to nervousness and a little bit of sony pulling out. i've gone to seattle a few times but having it all on one show floor was a much better vibe. some people were taking precautions - masks, sanitizer, wipes, etc. at least most of the booths seemed that way.

that is also quite something that animals were burned in such a high number. i was in high school at the time so i was definitely not aware of happenings of that nature.
Yeah it was crazy. I remember seeing large smoke clouds and wondered what was going on when it first started. I grew up in Massachusetts and there's not large scale animal husbandry so it was quite surreal to see. It was heartbreaking watching the BBC and seeing farmers breaking down because of it needless to say what the poor animals were going through.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
it always was, as I've been saying throughout this thread.

exponential growth.

in a week, numbers raising in the "hundreds per day" will become thousands and then tens of thousands.
Exponential growth doesn't last. If you look at China, SK and soon Italy, you'll see that the exponential growth phase doesn't last long.
As people start isolating themselves and taking hygiene seriously, the spread slows down.

What we'll probably see is clusters of exponential growth as the virus moves to new areas, until people in those areas start practicing good hygiene, social distancing and, if necessary, self-isolation to bring the effective transmission ratio below 1.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exponential growth doesn't last. If you look at China, SK and soon Italy, you'll see that the exponential growth phase doesn't last long.
As people start isolating themselves and taking hygiene seriously, the spread slows down.

What we'll probably see is clusters of exponential growth as the virus moves to new areas, until people in those areas start practicing good hygiene, social distancing and, if necessary, self-isolation to bring the effective transmission ratio below 1.
The US is not being handled well at all though.

VE3TRO

Oct 25, 2017
ESSEX, UK
A students parent has tested positive at a school near me which is like 1-2 miles away. Shit's gonna be so hard since my mum has a weak immune system.

Mar 29, 2018
That's not how immune systems work either. It doesn't slide right past the immune system, nothing really does unless you really have a high degree of immunodeficiency. The adaptive component just takes some time to effectively mount a response because the component with specificty needs to give its foot soldiers a bit of schooling and then wite a 'textbook', probably filed under coronaviruses in its library, for storage should this particular pathogen ever be encountered again. Clever stuff is the old immune system.
I was simplifying it grossly, but just working out and eating lots of vitamin C will not protect you from COVID19 by default

It's fake news. I have uploaded some trailers. People do feel boring at home but they do understand it. Everyone in China understand it is how important to do that. Because we want to stay safe and we want to protect others.
Yeah, not surprised at all.

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
I have put a halt on some house remodeling I was planning, for the simple fact that I have no idea how my work will be affected (I work in Seattle) in the long term and luxury spending is not an option right now. I can work remotely, but we'll see.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
As far as soap is concerned, I tend to buy these in bulk. 12 bars last around 4 months.

038772_A.jpg

Liquid Castile soap is also pretty good, and a little goes a long way.

DRB016.jpg

A few bottles of these and you're set for a year at least.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
It would definitely be an excuse because that's not how immune systems work. No human has immunity to this until we develop vaccines, because it's a new virus. You could be the most healthy human on the planet and eat all the vit C you want, and it would still slide right past your immune system if you breathed it in.

More importantly, young and otherwise healthy people are incredibly (like 99%) likely to just have very mild symptoms. You might not even know you have it.

The thing is only very dangerous to old people or otherwise infirm people - so your BIGGER responsibility is to stay hygienic, wash your hands regularly, and if you feel a bit unwell stay at home.

(Of course staying fit and healthy is a good idea anyway.)

I was never suggesting that exercise would prevent it. Merely suggesting that exercise will help the immune system (which is true) and assist in reducing the severity and/or duration of symptoms if one is infected.

And there's a new case potentially in my county now (Hendricks in Indiana). Apparently the lady tried to get tested but couldn't. Which is insane. She called her doctor and they said to call the ER. She called the ER and they said they can't do it. So like...What?

Oct 27, 2017
Where do you get this information from? BNO Updates are really slow the last few days.
Its accurate:

www.bbc.com

جدیدترین آمار رسمی کرونا در ایران، مرگ ۱۴۵ نفر و ابتلای ۵۸۲۳ نفر؛ وضعیت رشت 'وحشتناک' است - BBC News فارسی

سخنگوی وزارت بهداشت ایران آخرین آمار دولتی و رسمی جان‌باختگان ابتلا به ویروس کرونا در ایران را ۱۴۵ نفر و مبتلایان را ۵۸۲۳ نفر اعلام کرد. یک نماینده مجلس ایران، آمار مبتلایان و قربانیان ویروس کرونا در شهر رشت را 'بسیار وحشتناک' خوانده و گفته است شرایط این منطقه 'قرمز' اعلام شده است.

Its bbc persian. It says 1076 new cases which total is now 5823. With 21 deaths in the last 24hrs

Also according to Iran's health ministry in this link, the growth in some cities is conaidered terrifying.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Merely suggesting that exercise will help the immune system (which is true) and assist in reducing the severity and/or duration of symptoms if one is infected.
Ehhh... I'm a competitive level athlete currently suffering from a virus that has very similar symptoms to COVID-19.

I can barely walk upstairs right now without having to catch my breath. Exercise for anyone with anything other than the mildest symptoms... not a good idea.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was never suggesting that exercise would prevent it. Merely suggesting that exercise will help the immune system (which is true) and assist in reducing the severity and/or duration of symptoms if one is infected.

And there's a new case potentially in my county now (Hendricks in Indiana). Apparently the lady tried to get tested but couldn't. Which is insane. She called her doctor and they said to call the ER. She called the ER and they said they can't do it. So like...What?

I guess if she's not under respiratory distress the best thing to do is self-isolate at home, but you would think a municipality would like to confirm this and ask who she may have been in contact with to prepare.

This is so disorganized.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I have been stocking a little bit here and there over the past month but not toilet paper. I still don't understand the toilet paper thing. When the corona zombies come clawing at the walls I don't think I'll care about how shitty my arse is.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Its accurate:

www.bbc.com

جدیدترین آمار رسمی کرونا در ایران، مرگ ۱۴۵ نفر و ابتلای ۵۸۲۳ نفر؛ وضعیت رشت 'وحشتناک' است - BBC News فارسی

سخنگوی وزارت بهداشت ایران آخرین آمار دولتی و رسمی جان‌باختگان ابتلا به ویروس کرونا در ایران را ۱۴۵ نفر و مبتلایان را ۵۸۲۳ نفر اعلام کرد. یک نماینده مجلس ایران، آمار مبتلایان و قربانیان ویروس کرونا در شهر رشت را 'بسیار وحشتناک' خوانده و گفته است شرایط این منطقه 'قرمز' اعلام شده است.

Its bbc persian. It says 1076 new cases which total is now 5823. With 21 deaths in the last 24hrs

Also according to Iran's health ministry in this link, the growth in some cities is conaidered terrifying.
One thing that really worries me about this is that it's already warm(ish) in Iran right now. Just looked up the temps in Qom where their biggest outbreak is and it's in the 70s (lows 20s Celsius). There's rumblings of a big outbreak in Egypt due to all the people coming back from there and spreading the disease and it's even warmer there.

I don't think we can rely on summer to halt the virus.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
I have been stocking a little bit here and there over the past month but not toilet paper. I still don't understand the toilet paper thing. When the corona zombies come clawing at the walls I don't think I'll care about how shitty my arse is.

Where is toilet paper primarily produced? How long does it take to ship from suppliers to distributors? How essential is TP? If it disappears from shelves in the short term, how long until it is readily available again?

Twenty Three

Oct 28, 2017
A shitty arse will give you a debuff, -5 agility vs CoronaZombies, and -15 charisma check against fellow survivors. Think again.

Darth Karja

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that really worries me about this is that it's already warm(ish) in Iran right now. Just looked up the temps in Qom where their biggest outbreak is and it's in the 70s (lows 20s Celsius). There's rumblings of a big outbreak in Egypt due to all the people coming back from there and spreading the disease and it's even warmer there.

I don't think we can rely on summer to halt the virus.
It's been summer in places like Australia. We should look at those places to see what summer does. I don't know the numbers, but they are not good, so you would be right about that.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Yup. Every grocery trip, I buy like $20-30 worth of stuff like dry goods, canned goods, and a handful of Gatorade too. I've taken the opportunity to preemptively buy any items that were halfway through (dish soap, olive oil, deodorant, etc).

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Ehhh... I'm a competitive level athlete currently suffering from a virus that has very similar symptoms to COVID-19.

I can barely walk upstairs right now without having to catch my breath. Exercise for anyone with anything other than the mildest symptoms... not a good idea.

That's rough. Get better soon!

I guess if she's not under respiratory distress the best thing to do is self-isolate at home, but you would think a municipality would like to confirm this and ask who she may have been in contact with to prepare.

This is so disorganized.

They did some tracing and the lady is self quarantined. She's young and said the same thing my wife and I said - she's likely not the one at risk, but all the folks she may come in contact with that could legitimately die if infected...

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Humanity was a mistake.

My mom works at a hospital in Germany and was just telling me what is going down there.

So they cannot restock any new masks and have been told by administration to use one mask per shift… and in two weeks they will be out of masks…

The hospital has also started locking away supplies because patients and visitors have taken to just taking anything that isn't bolted to the ground. "uh, some masks great I'll have some of those" or "hand sanitizer, just what I always wanted"… fuck me…

Also as we know people who come into contact with corona cases should stay home and self-isolate. Not however hospital staff they are expected to come back to work as if nothing happened. That is sure to stop the virus in its tracks.

Fuck anyone that bought a 500 pack of mask for themselves without a good reason!

All the best for your mother!

I have been more worried about humans panicking than the virus itself (which is obviously concerning in its own right) for a while now.

People are fucking unthinking idiots for the most part.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
It's been summer in places like Australia. We should look at those places to see what summer does. I don't know the numbers, but they are not good, so you would be right about that.
Actually, in Central and the Northern parts of South America (close to the Ecuatorial line) its where the least amount of cases have been reported. Maybe the heat has something to do with that (or maybe those governments are doing shit to deal with it) 🤷🏽‍♂️

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

China's lockdown didn't happen by itself. If we are expecting Americans to effectively self-isolate all on their own, I think we are going to be very disappointed. People are very unwilling to do things that cause inconvenience, and the amount of BS we're being fed by our leaders only makes that worse.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
I'm with a cold right now. Is it possible to get covid at the same time and have 2 viruses at the same time?

Katzenbuckel

Aug 18, 2019

微博

随时随地发现新鲜事!微博带你欣赏世界上每一个精彩瞬间,了解每一个幕后故事。分享你想表达的,让全世界都能听到你的心声!

China Red Cross sent a profession team to Iraq to support their hospitals with testing boxes and supplies.

That is needed and hopefully it is a sign that the cases in China are really decreasing as it is reported.

103 new cases + 2 deaths in France, 716 cases + 11 deaths in total. Source

I think we should stop reporting the cases minute by minute. They will rise that is sure but what do you get by knowing the exact number? It only helps spread the panic. Reporting new deaths is another thing but here it would be much more important to have the history of the case.