• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Mar 29, 2018
Confirmed case in Marion County Indiana. That's one county over from me.

Guess that's my excuse to really focus back on exercising to keep my immune system strong. I'm 34 and in good health, but I need to be smart and focus on keeping it solid.
It would definitely be an excuse because that's not how immune systems work. No human has immunity to this until we develop vaccines, because it's a new virus. You could be the most healthy human on the planet and eat all the vit C you want, and it would still slide right past your immune system if you breathed it in.

More importantly, young and otherwise healthy people are incredibly (like 99%) likely to just have very mild symptoms. You might not even know you have it.

The thing is only very dangerous to old people or otherwise infirm people - so your BIGGER responsibility is to stay hygienic, wash your hands regularly, and if you feel a bit unwell stay at home.

(Of course staying fit and healthy is a good idea anyway.)

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
It's pretty sad to think that a lot of people in events and hospitality are going to be out of a job soon. Cancellations are necessary of course, but fucking terrible for them.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Turns out my Japanese Style toilet seat was one of the best things I've bought. I use very little paper and can only laugh about all the toilet paper hysteria.

bidet_1200x1200.gif

I'm currently in Taiwan and the hotel we're in have a modern toilet seat that wash your ass or vagina depending on what you oress on a tablet like pad. Oh and it's also heated seats lol.

SOBOSLDR

Nov 27, 2017
How long will all these companies let people stay home? How long will schools stay closed for? The way it's going here this won't be getting better anytime soon. April? May? June? November?? Who knows when a vaccine is coming.
It seems 6 -7 weeks has worked well for China. Their cases outside Wuhan were basically 0 until recently when they started importing some from Iran and Italy. In the epicenter, Wuhan it seems they may need another 2 weeks or so.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently in Taiwan and the hotel we're in have a modern toilet seat that wash your ass or vagina depending on what you oress on a tablet like pad. Oh and it's also heated seats lol.

Think about this:

People that use the tablet cannot physically wash their hands in time.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Stomach sank when they announced the Florida victims. Really thought one of them was the youngish Tampa girl, who freaking called the CDC to tell them about her just getting back from Italy and her symptoms while at a NY airport before her connected flight back home to Tampa international . She was advised to take the flight, and she didn't get tested and positively IDed until she got in.

Nov 6, 2017
Finally arrived in Hawaii from my flight out of South Korea (SK->San Fran->Hawaii)

Before I entered the boarding gate in SK another temp check on the forehead, then two questions from the gate attendants: Have you visited any medical facility for cold, flu, fever, etc. recently and have you visited Iran, China, Italy in the past 14 days.

San Fran border patrol, no questions, no issues.

On my flight from SK to SF, not sure in bad taste but during meal service they asked what drinks I want, I said any beer but Corona. Flight attendants chuckled. Flight was a 787 with only about 40-50 people.

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty sad to think that a lot of people in events and hospitality are going to be out of a job soon. Cancellations are necessary of course, but fucking terrible for them.

A very major venue I used to work for in SoCal posted something about their summer programming/season today, and the first comment was asking when they were going to cancel their season :/

That organization can weather something like that but they are in a very fortunate position compared to most other venues.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I hope uk people are also buying that little bit extra in soaps, hand washes and medicine. I don't think thry will run out for weeks in the uk at all, but I do think once people get the tp and sanitiser shit out of their system,we will see a run on the other stuff too.

Went to the local conershop all sly like and got a whole bunch of soap and hand wash anticipating the above.

Wanted to check out the local Asda this morning to see what people are getting. As expected the wipes and sanitiser was all gone, but hilariously all the middle priced TP too. The Asda own stuff was still there in spades. Strange but funny, people look to be on edge, but not too on edge.

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Just went in the wee early hours of the morning to stock up at Wally World. Hand sanitizers were wiped out. Even the 90 proof alcohol rubs were out. Same for Clorox wipes (bought the last two tubs), and other consumables were hit hard. This is in TX.

We bought what we could, and got a pretty good haul. But, we're bummed about the hand sanitizer being out. Though we do still have half a large refill bottle left, and several individual bottles that are filled up. I'm afraid the supplies will continue to be sold out. I feel as though people are panicking. But, because I have crohn's disease ,as well as others in my household that have medical issues, I feel I have no choice but to stock up on these products now in response to people beginning to hoard. It's creating a viscous cycle. I also don't want to be left incapable of wiping my ass.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I hope uk people are also buying that little bit extra in soaps, hand washes and medicine. I don't think thry will run out for weeks in the uk at all, but I do think once people get the tp and sanitiser shit out of their system,we will see a run on the other stuff too.
I was in two different supermarkets in the last 7 days and both had run out of handwash / sanitiser.

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in Hanoi and we just had our work changed to WFH for at least a day because of the first new Coronavirus case in a while: https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/03/06/world/asia/06reuters-health-coronavirus-vietnam.html

Where I live, they've got security guards out here in front of mall entrances taking people's temperature and the same in some nearby restaurants. If your temp is too high, you are at the very least denied entry.

More people than usual have masks on and the lines in the grocery stores were real long this morning.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
So.. is this just the case of wait and see what happens? At this point it seems impossible for this to stop spreading.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
Can anyone give me a link to a legit DIY Hand sanitizer? I'm seeing some differences via google

I got 70% alcohol 99% Aloe Vera gel and Glycerin. Thanks in advance

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
Welp...second case in South Africa.

ERA, I'm so sorry to say this but watch this be a representation of how bad it can, and will, get when the virus spreads among impoverished people in a country with a corrupt and useless government.

I'm expecting the worst.

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't want to shit on your dreams but this is just going to be even worse in 2 weeks. It's a virus that has long since broken containment and there's probably a few hundred thousand new cases incubating right now.
I have been isolation at home from Jan 28 till now... Platinum Yakuza 7, finish Kiwami 2 and other 2 games...Never thought I would experience a life like this.

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
We still don't have testing kits in Puerto Rico, the CDC and White House has absolutely bungled the whole crisis. There's no way there aren't people infected here already, oh well I'll continue washing my hands, avoiding crows and not touching surfaces.

Can't trust the local and federal government after Maria.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Went to the local conershop all sly like and got a whole bunch of soap and hand wash anticipating the above.

Wanted to check out the local Asda this morning to see what people are getting. As expected the wipes and sanitiser was all gone, but hilariously all the middle priced TP too. The Asda own stuff was still there in spades. Strange but funny, people look to be on edge, but not too on edge.

From my shop this morning every other basket/trolley had soap in it which is actually kinda nice to see, maybe we are learning some hygiene from this... Same situation here too with store brand TP in stock and nowt else, as someone who uses store brand I was glad to see it even though I didn't need it 😅

I think the next run on things will probably be moisturising cream as people start to realise all this hand washing/sanitising is giving them borderline eczema. But maybe I'm assuming too much of people and none of this shit is actually getting used right now.

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
It would definitely be an excuse because that's not how immune systems work. No human has immunity to this until we develop vaccines, because it's a new virus. You could be the most healthy human on the planet and eat all the vit C you want, and it would still slide right past your immune system if you breathed it in.

More importantly, young and otherwise healthy people are incredibly (like 99%) likely to just have very mild symptoms. You might not even know you have it.

The thing is only very dangerous to old people or otherwise infirm people - so your BIGGER responsibility is to stay hygienic, wash your hands regularly, and if you feel a bit unwell stay at home.

(Of course staying fit and healthy is a good idea anyway.)

That's not how immune systems work either. It doesn't slide right past the immune system, nothing really does unless you really have a high degree of immunodeficiency. The adaptive component just takes some time to effectively mount a response because the component with specificty needs to give its foot soldiers a bit of schooling and then wite a 'textbook', probably filed under coronaviruses in its library, for storage should this particular pathogen ever be encountered again. Clever stuff is the old immune system.

Amir

Jun 7, 2018
Where do you get this information from? BNO Updates are really slow the last few days.
Check this:
www.worldometers.info

COVID Live - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

Live statistics and coronavirus news tracking the number of confirmed cases, recovered patients, tests, and death toll due to the COVID-19 coronavirus from Wuhan, China. Coronavirus counter with new cases, deaths, and number of tests per 1 Million population. Historical data and info. Daily...

Woody

Mar 5, 2018
Finally arrived in Hawaii from my flight out of South Korea (SK->San Fran->Hawaii)

Before I entered the boarding gate in SK another temp check on the forehead, then two questions from the gate attendants: Have you visited any medical facility for cold, flu, fever, etc. recently and have you visited Iran, China, Italy in the past 14 days.

San Fran border patrol, no questions, no issues.

Lmao, such a disparity between US and China. I (and my entire flight) spent 1-2 nights in a hotel, quarantined and tested just because I had a 4-hour layover in Seoul en route back to China. The CDC in SFO wasn't even wearing protective gear while interviewing passengers inbound from China (some of whom were feeling sick). Good luck over there.

/edit - SFO CDC had a secondary interview for passengers from China but not SK? That's gonna work out real well.

Last edited:

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
For people worrying about the lack of hand santiser, I'd be more annoyed at the lack of bog roll if I were you. You will do just fine washing your hands with warm water and liquid soap, I know in this fast-paced, high tech word, it's probably a bit incovenient but you just need to do this: https://www.who.int/gpsc/clean_hands_protection/en/

You can probably use hand sanitiser 2 or 3 times and then you'll have to do a proper hand wash anyway. The epithelial cells on your hands start to slough off, causing visible soiling and this reduces the effectiveness of hand rubs quite considerably. Have a look at the 5 moments of hand hygiene if you want to go completely Neo-Nazi level obsessed with keeping your hands clean and preventing cross-contamination - you can probably adopt it to office/domestic environments, too.

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A) a lot of videos like that are unverified or edited
B) there was some messaging stating that people were shouting out the windows in Wuhan/Hubei as a protest against the government. They were all voicing their hatred, not wailing in despair

It's fake news. I have uploaded some trailers. People do feel boring at home but they do understand it. Everyone in China understand it is how important to do that. Because we want to stay safe and we want to protect others.

Last edited:

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I was in two different supermarkets in the last 7 days and both had run out of handwash / sanitiser.

People seem to be rushing to the supermarkets and ignoring the whole plethora of other places you can get soaps, hand washes and likely very small bottles of hand sanitizer from.

Amazon also has lots of grossly overpriced sanitizers.

I mean I can understand the convenience of sanitizer, but the long term repercussions I do think will doom a lot of people down the line.

Once we get a virus resistant to sanitizer, it's not going to be pretty.

A 20 sec soapwash is all that is needed to kill this fucker.

Here in the uk you can virtually wash your hands every where, even in the supermarkets

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
We still don't have testing kits in Puerto Rico, the CDC and White House has absolutely bungled the whole crisis. There's no way there aren't people infected here already, oh well I'll continue washing my hands, avoiding crows and not touching surfaces.

Can't trust the local and federal government after Maria.
I have a real close friend of mine who told me last night that there are 3 suspected cases of the virus in 2 different hospitals in the Metro area, but they are making people who work there sign NDA's. It sounds like a bit too dramatic but we are talking about a government that hid supplies for both Hurricane maria AND the January earthquakes. Once the virus is confirmed to hit Puerto Rico, it will spread hardcore around the island. People are too effusive when they greet each other here, and the non-existent government response will be the death of an island that is still reeling from the effects of Maria and the earthquakes.

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
User banned (1 week): Fearmongering
So.. is this just the case of wait and see what happens? At this point it seems impossible for this to stop spreading.

it always was, as I've been saying throughout this thread.

exponential growth.

in a week, numbers raising in the "hundreds per day" will become thousands and then tens of thousands.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
did some shopping tonight, out in orange county. legitimately needed to get some toilet paper and i had forgotten about it all week. i also forgot about the uh, coronavirus, and wasn't expecting almost the entire aisle to be empty, but people fortunately didn't grab literally everything and salt the earth. talked about it with other customers who were also surprised and one guy even grabbed two of the single rolls and held them up with a big smile for a photo like he'd won the grand prize on a game show.

also had stocked up on hand soap several months ago because i have a tendency to use them and run out and forget that i need more. so all good there.

oh and at pax east there was a person selling face masks for $30 a box (of five). as in, someone selling them out of their car.

i wasn't tuned in to previous panics. was it this bad for swine flu, bird flu, or sars?

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
People seem to be rushing to the supermarkets and ignoring the whole plethora of other places you can get soaps, hand washes and likely very small bottles of hand sanitizer from.

Amazon also has lots of grossly overpriced sanitizers.

I mean I can understand the convenience of sanitizer, but the long term repercussions I do think will doom a lot of people down the line.

Once we get a virus resistant to sanitizer, it's not going to be pretty.
Viruses and bacteria don't evolve resistance to alcohol in the same way as antibiotics, it kills them in a mechanical fashion by dissolving their outer layers.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I still can't imagine how this will affect the whole world. I do IT for a small firm, which do a lot of things for trade fairs here in Germany, and they are already worried how this year will be for them. It's gonna be though for many :/

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
twitter.com

Dolphin on Twitter

“イタリアの病院が中国の病院と遠隔会議をし、中国の協和病院からコロナ治療のknow-howを教えてもらう。最前線の中国から知見を得るのは得策ではないか。 https://t.co/h54eczE5HT”

Hope this kind of international cooperation can be more and more

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
twitter.com

Dolphin on Twitter

“イタリアの病院が中国の病院と遠隔会議をし、中国の協和病院からコロナ治療のknow-howを教えてもらう。最前線の中国から知見を得るのは得策ではないか。 https://t.co/h54eczE5HT”

Hope this kind of international cooperation can be more and more
Thus is what the whole planet should be doing. it's human lives all over the planet. Everyone is effected. Everyone should be communicating with each other to see what everyone is doing best

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
3月1日までに中国全土から4万2千人の医療従事者が湖北省に向かい、そのうち重症科、呼吸器科、感染症科、麻酔科などの専門が1万5千人、全体のうち1万2千人が1990年、2000年以降の生まれ。

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
www.thespec.com

Ontario man who tested positive for coronavirus rode Toronto, Mississauga public transit

Toronto Public Health released details of transit routes taken by man who tested positive for COVID-19 after returning from Las Vegas.

That's just great. He took a bus not far from my house. I don't use public transit but who knows how many who did I run into.

And I was supposed to be at Mount Sinai the day he was there. Wonder if I'll go next week.