• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude from the cruise ship is calling into CNN now. He's not one of the confirmed cases but he says he's exhibiting symptoms now. Stuck on the ship.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think "rage virus" is appropriate, and it's clear I wasn't implying someone is going to run around intentionally infecting others, moreso someone with general apathy that isn't abiding by the full 14 day isolation period and wants to run across the street to get a snack at the AMPM like an idiot.
Those type of concern apply 100% to every hospital and clinic, everywhere.
For real, there are right now people hospitalized in Seattle with this virus, in places that are way more densely populated and way more accessible by foot than this motel.
I am fairly certain I live closer to a hospital with a covid-19 patient right now that most people in Kent are to this motel.
I think our concern should be first and foremost about the people who are not currently hospitalized.
Yes we need beds, but that motel is only providing about 15 total, that's barely anything, and it makes me question if the buy was worth it at all. I certainly don't agree with the city being the ones to have reign to legally hold patients there but I don't agree with people treating it like the motel it was either. There should be more strict monitoring and regulating in general to try and contain this otherwise quarantine and self isolation is pointless as a concept if people can come and go as they please.
Come on, the concern is not that it's not big enough, let's be honest about what people are afraid of.
I donno, I am not an expert on any of this shit, but I really got to believe that those type of lawsuits is the worst way to go around things, and I think it's really driven by irrational fear.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Do we really need the "americans" bit?

Aside from that: as someone who travels a lot for work, actually caught the flu last week while on travel and had to explain "I have a runny nose, coronavirus is a mostly dry cold, it is the flu. I am sorry for being on a plane with the flu" to a few people AND had to send a really awkward "So... the first case in X was detected a few blocks away from where we were meeting last week" email to people (good news: We don't have to go back this week):

Yeah, it sucks. But if those people who travel a lot aren't constantly laid out then it is because they already learned those skills like "wash your hands" and "don't touch your face". And beyond that: Unless you lock down every single city with a giant wall (that is immune to wind power...) it is going to spread. Like you said, the virus has been spreading for weeks. It has ALREADY spread.

Its great that you didn't feel comfortable. Guess what? for every one person you know was on travel there are probably at least 59 people who were on the same flight (possibly hundreds) and thousands who were in the same airports at the same time and many of those were in the supermarket and even the bathroom with you. We live in a global community and that is why shit like this is so scary. But rather than get angry and uncomfortable that "americans" are making you feel uncomfortable, take precautions but also be practical.

If you are really that scared for your health, talk to your manager and try to work from home. if you are unable to because your job involves human interaction: You seem to be expecting people to quit their jobs. Maybe you should consider quitting your own? Also, don't quit your job so you can go hide in your apartment and tape every single seal and cover yourself in hand sanitizer a la Frank.

Look: We live in a scary time. Take a breath. Don't drink bleach, but also don't go lick metal poles. Make yourself informed of the risks instead of just relying on what you hear people tell you on message boards and news sites. The world will still be a scary place but you'll be a much calmer person
Well I live in the usa and I am not an american. So what do you want me to say? I'm not trying to be offensive ffs.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Do we have many accounts of people who have had it and recovered? I'd be interested to hear from some mild cases, particularly older people.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Here's more testimony of how terribly Japan has been handling this:
www.japantimes.co.jp

The Japan Times

News on Japan, Business News, Opinion, Sports, Entertainment and More static page

The city of Hiroshima on Saturday announced the first confirmed COVID-19 infection in the prefecture of the same name, NHK reports.

The city said that the infected person, a man in his 30s who lives in the city, had complained of coughing symptoms from the beginning of last month, and visited three medical institutions seven times from the Feb. 15 to Tuesday, March 4, without his condition improving. Upon visiting a fourth medical institution on Wednesday, March 5, he was given a test and his infection was confirmed.

It was not immediately clear why the man had not been given such a test earlier.

It was probably because of this, because they generally aren't testing people who haven't been to China unless they have been in confirmed contact with someone positive:
He has no history of traveling to China, epicenter of the outbreak, or other countries within 14 days before the onset of the disease, and had worn a mask after symptoms emerged.

unrealist

Oct 27, 2017
What is concerning is not the recovery or fatality rate, but whether you will suffer any lasting damage to your health (i.e. lungs) that will affect your quality of life in future. SARS did and it's not good at all. You can recover but the "damage" is already there.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I just came back from my local discount grocery and I saw a full section of TP, bottled water, soaps (bars and liquid), and canned goods. So if you actually need these things, check out places not called Costco/Walmart/Target (my local Target was all out of tp and cleaning wipes/supplies).

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Do we have many accounts of people who have had it and recovered? I'd be interested to hear from some mild cases, particularly older people.

This man hasn't fully recovered yet, he was at a stage where he has to pass three tests before being released, but he gives a breakdown of what he'd gone through so far

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is concerning is not the recovery or fatality rate, but whether you will suffer any lasting damage to your health (i.e. lungs) that will affect your quality of life in future. SARS did and it's not good at all. You can recover but the "damage" is already there.
These are the unknown things still and could really kick shit into overdrive if it turns out that way.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
This man hasn't fully recovered yet, he was at a stage where he has to pass three tests before being released, but he gives a breakdown of what he'd gone through so far

Thanks. Interesting his wife apparently didn't get it.

Sounds like people should be stocking on gatorade instead of water.

You would think the lack of nasal symptoms should make this thing less contagious if people just practice proper hygiene.

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Here's more testimony of how terribly Japan has been handling this:
www.japantimes.co.jp

The Japan Times

News on Japan, Business News, Opinion, Sports, Entertainment and More static page

It was probably because of this, because they generally aren't testing people who haven't been to China unless they have been in confirmed contact with someone positive:
Yikes. There have been many stories of people getting refused testing. Almost all prefectures of Japan are now reporting cases, but most only report having small clusters. I feel like the actual number of cases is much higher than the reported number due to the appearant lack of testing... Meanwhile many companies that could allow their employees to work from home aren't allowing it yet.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Those type of concern apply 100% to every hospital and clinic, everywhere.
For real, there are right now people hospitalized in Seattle with this virus, in places that are way more densely populated and way more accessible by foot than this motel.
I am fairly certain I live closer to a hospital with a covid-19 patient right now that most people in Kent are to this motel.
I think our concern should be first and foremost about the people who are not currently hospitalized.

Come on, the concern is not that it's not big enough, let's be honest about what people are afraid of.
I donno, I am not an expert on any of this shit, but I really got to believe that those type of lawsuits is the worst way to go around things, and I think it's really driven by irrational fear.

I agree completely on priority for those needing beds and ventilators, I just have more faith in hospitals being equipped for proper containment areas and monitoring than jerry rigging a run down looking motel, then again I don't know how they plan on converting the available units into proper containment areas so hopefully that will be handled well. We're clearly in a situation where community leaders are taking what they can get re: beds and I just hope proper precautions are taken to ensure the environment is up to code for containment and not a threat to the surrounding population.

How the city of Kent is handling this with the lawsuit probably isn't the best way to go about it but they're probably just concerned about this becoming a Lifecare Center 2.0 which isn't entirely irrational a fear. It's hard to know what's being handled competently in any department along the chain of command right now.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
God older coworkers won't stop joking about this and talking about how back in the day they used to share chickenpox to gain immunities and snowflakes just want to work from home.

drives me FUCKING crazy.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
It's in another nursing home and a retirement community in Seattle. :(

Seattle Times said:
A nursing home and a retirement community in the Seattle area announced on Friday cases of COVID-19, the illness caused by the new coronavirus, which is particularly dangerous for older patients.

Ida Culver House Ravenna, a retirement community in Northeast Seattle, and Issaquah Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, a skilled nursing facility, each said a single resident had been hospitalized and that access to their campuses was restricted as a precaution.

At Issaquah, the resident was taken to a hospital on Tuesday and remains hospitalized as of Friday afternoon. No other cases have been reported there.

Three Eastside Fire & Rescue firefighters who responded there have been quarantined "out of abundance of caution" and aren't showing any symptoms, Deputy Chief Rich Burke said.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
My dad died at the Issaquah nursing home listed here. It's a real shithole. I feel even worse for those patients now.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Seattle University will not hold in-person classes for the rest of winter quarter, which is March 20. However, campus will remain open.

The University of Washington will not have classes in person through the end of the quarter on March 20.

Lake Washington Institute for Technology, on Friday announced that the campus would move to remote operations through March 20.

My college is not having classes until at least March 23rd.

www.king5.com

Coronavirus in Washington state: Updates from March 2-8, 2020

Facts not fear: Find updates on the coronavirus outbreak in Washington state from March 2-8, 2020.

This is a pretty big deal guys. Shits getting real.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

Those Twitter comments... people don't forget. It's true with the comment of "lack of food" though. Say you do need to be quarantined.... Ok you got watet not from the tap and a years' supply of tp... what are you going to eat? This goes for all those people getting everything BUT food.

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
God older coworkers won't stop joking about this and talking about how back in the day they used to share chickenpox to gain immunities and snowflakes just want to work from home.

drives me FUCKING crazy.

Oh for fuck's sake.

And it's not helping that, shocker, Trump's spreading this shit too.

Fucking assholes.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Those Twitter comments... people don't forget. It's true with the comment of "lack of food" though. Say you do need to be quarantined.... Ok you got watet not from the tap and a years' supply of tp... what are you going to eat? This goes for all those people getting everything BUT food.
I was wondering about that in regards to a mandatory quarantine. Do quarantined people have food being brought to them?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Having paper towels as an emergency toilet paper backup is mistake OJ. You don't want clogged toilets in the apocalypse.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I went to the store today after work to get some deodorant and the fucking soap isle was empty at Walmart. I'm talking every bottle of hand soap, everything.

Everyone hoarding soap can get fucked.

I guess everyone will just have piss and shit all over their hands every time they use the bathroom so some asshole can have 40 bottles in his cabinet.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
I went to the store today after work to get some deodorant and the fucking soap isle was empty at Walmart. I'm talking every bottle of hand soap, everything.

Everyone hoarding soap can get fucked.

I guess everyone will just have piss and shit all over their hands every time they use the bathroom so some asshole can have 40 bottles in his cabinet.

I saw this the other day at our Walmart. I wish I would have taken pictures but entire row of toilet paper. Gone. Most of the soap and cleaning stuff in each lane gone. Little shocked as to what I was seeing.

I'm not sure if I should be one of these people now that stocks up on some food and other stuff. What's Era been doing?