• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Well it seems like things are slowing in China and Japan at least. Also I haven't heard of any new cases from Hong Kong in a while.
Ugh. This just gets worse with every passing day. I think the spread slowing down in China and Japan is the only good news that I've heard about the outbreak lately. =(
I'm not sure where you're getting your info but 56 new cases in a day in Japan is far higher than they've ever reported outside of the Diamond Princess. That's more than 10% of the cases so far in one day.

They're testing more people than before and thus they are getting more cases than before. It sure as hell isn't slowing down there.

D23

Oct 25, 2017
this is absolutely terrible... the virus spreads to 2 more senior care facilities in addition to the one in Kirkland. Something drastic needs to be done to protect our nursing homes.

Last edited:

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
I'm not sure where you're getting your info but 56 new cases in a day in Japan is far higher than they've ever reported outside of the Diamond Princess.

They're testing more people than before and thus they are getting more cases than before. It sure as hell isn't slowing down there.

Ugh. Figures.

I heard that from this thread. In fact, someone posted a similar claim in the thread just before I did. =(

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Another confirmed case in Illinois.

A Chicago Public Schools employee that got infected on the Diamond Princess.

wgntv.com

Class canceled at CPS school after employee tests positive for COVID-19; Illinois’ 6th confirmed case

CHICAGO — Class is canceled next week at a Portage Park high school after an employee tested positive for COVID-19. In a press conference along with Gov. JB Pritzker and Mayor Lori Lightfoot, healt…

abc7chicago.com

Coronavirus update: CPS employee is 6th confirmed case of COVID-19 in Illinois, mayor says

A sixth case of novel coronavirus in Illinois was announced Friday evening by health officials in Chicago.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
My mom says a lot of Chinese establishments are closing up.

Particularly on 8th Ave, Brooklyn. If you're in and around Brooklyn a lot, that's Brooklyn Chinatown.

ReactionShot

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know how many are tested on Grand Princess? 21 cases in 3.5K passengers is not that bad I think; but if they only tested a few, that's a different story.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just fucking scared thinking of my grandpa and grandma in Wisconsin and my abuela in Buenos Aires. The severity of this disease for old people is horrifying.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
this is absolutely terrible... the virus spreads to 2 more senior care facilities in addition to the one in Kirkland. Something drastic needs to be one to protect our nursing homes.

My grandparents literally just moved into assisted living... this shit is terrifying.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know how many are tested on Grand Princess? 21 cases in 3.5K passengers is not that bad I think; but if they only tested a few, that's a different story.
They said yesterday it was 100. No idea if that changed. 21 cases in 100 is a lot.

Edit: Direct from Princess themselves, it was "fewer than 100."

There are fewer than 100 guests and crew identified for testing, including all in-transit guests (guests who sailed the previous Mexico voyage and remained on board for the current Hawaii voyage), those guests and crew who have experienced influenza-like illness symptoms on this voyage, and guests currently under care for respiratory illness.

To facilitate this testing, the U.S. Coast Guard will deliver sampling kits to the ship the morning of March 5 via helicopter. Our onboard medical team will administer the test and the samples will be sent in batches by helicopter to a lab in Richmond, California, across the bay from San Francisco.

If they did test fewer than 100, that's a huge positive %.

Last edited:

d7n

Oct 27, 2017
Sons basketball game for tomorrow morning got cancelled unexpectedly, now my friends are saying a woman in our town has it, schools going to be closed Monday at least (northern westchester). Trying to remain calm.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much longer the general advice in here will be "don't worry, just wash your hands and enjoy your trip"

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder how much longer the general advice in here will be "don't worry, just wash your hands and enjoy your trip"

That hasn't been true for a while. The people saying that down played the entire situation. Since January you had people trying to minimilize the severity of the situation in China.

shadowkat

Oct 25, 2017
he travelled to illinois, ohio and michigan recently. he is currently recovering at home in isolation and close contacts of the individual are being contacted by the AHS.

Yeah, most of the cases in Canada until now have been from people traveling in China/Iran/Italy. We're starting to see cases from people who were traveling from the US. The one in Ontario was in Las Vegas, and I think one in Vancouver was visiting from Seattle.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
That hasn't been true for a while. The people saying that down played the entire situation. Since January you had people trying to minimilize the severity of the situation in China.

People were still saying it as recently as yesterday, hopefully it stops.

Nobody should be asking "should I cancel my trip?" It is self evident what you should do.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm not sure where you're getting your info but 56 new cases in a day in Japan is far higher than they've ever reported outside of the Diamond Princess. That's more than 10% of the cases so far in one day.

I guess I'm too used to other countries numbers (Italy, Germany) increasing by a lot that 56 seemed good. Didn't realize that was a big jump for Japan.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another confirmed case in Illinois.

A Chicago Public Schools employee that got infected on the Diamond Princess.

wgntv.com

Class canceled at CPS school after employee tests positive for COVID-19; Illinois’ 6th confirmed case

CHICAGO — Class is canceled next week at a Portage Park high school after an employee tested positive for COVID-19. In a press conference along with Gov. JB Pritzker and Mayor Lori Lightfoot, healt…

abc7chicago.com

Coronavirus update: CPS employee is 6th confirmed case of COVID-19 in Illinois, mayor says

A sixth case of novel coronavirus in Illinois was announced Friday evening by health officials in Chicago.

Fuck. It's gonna spread out here. There are 3 possible cases in the Lake County area, friend works for the health department there and they're being tested.

People are dumb as shit. Stop traveling, going on cruises and take this seriously.

ReactionShot

Oct 25, 2017
In Hawaii or the cruise ship with a Hawaiian citizen?

HONOLULU (KHON) — In a news conference, Governor David Ige and Department of Health officials confirmed Hawaii's first case of COVID-19.

The person infected is a Hawaii resident who was a passenger aboard the Grand Princess cruise ship that docked on Oahu in late February. As of now, there have been 21 cases of coronavirus from the cruise ship.

Source

Another source say the person fell in ill during the trip and returned to his/her home on the islands when it docked on Oahu.

Source

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck. It's gonna spread out here. There are 3 possible cases in the Lake County area, friend works for the health department there and they're being tested.

People are dumb as shit. Stop traveling, going on cruises and take this seriously.

To be honest, the cruise lines not issuing refunds means people don't want to be out the money. It's a hard place when you think about the costs due to not buying travel insurance.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
My mom said one of the bigger restaurant closed really early today cause they had no business. Don't know if they'll open up tomorrow.

In the Bay Area, Asian places seem to be doing about the same. Well, at least the ones I go to, where mostly Asians go. I can't speak for Chinese take-out places. I'm curious to see how non-Asian businesses are doing. No one seems to mind going to a packed Costco >_>

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm too used to other countries numbers (Italy, Germany) increasing by a lot that 56 seemed good. Didn't realize that was a big jump for Japan.
Prior to the past 5 days or so, they only had about 2500 people TOTAL (non-Diamond Princess) tested in two months. They've since increased nearly threefold to almost 7500 total and positive cases are going up accordingly.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I think the Princess brand will go away once all is said and done. Two ships that have literally been cesspools of COVID-19. They're owned by Carnival so they'll probably just rebrand, but the brand is toxic now.

PhoenixDawn

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Have a road trip planned to Chicago at the end of this month, and then a trip to california mid April.. Seriously considering trying to get out of them somehow, although that's a big price to eat for the California flights at least.. Not so worried about me getting it, but I definitely do NOT want to pass it around to other people since there's a lot of family/friends who could be pretty hurt by getting it..

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
There's been an update to the 3 Maryland cases. FYI, if you or any friends or family are in the Rockville area - which is unfortunately where my elderly mom lives.

There were two instances of public interaction that Hogan wants to make public: one patient attended an event in Philadelphia area where there were interactions with children. Five local schools in Bucks County were closed today as a result.

Another patient attended a Feb. 29 event at the Village at Rockville, a retirement community, where 70-100 people were gathered. Anyone who attended between 12-6 pm should contact health authorities.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
It's sad that the outbreaks started everywhere else just when China started seriously getting it under control. This almost got contained early.

Is that business in Germany with the visiting parents responsible for the outbreak in Italy?

d7n

Oct 27, 2017
Sons basketball game for tomorrow morning got cancelled unexpectedly, now my friends are saying a woman in our town has it, schools going to be closed Monday at least (northern westchester). Trying to remain calm.

well the school just emailed saying a parent at my daughters school tested positive, but the kid and others in the house negative. The parent has not been in the school in recent weeks. Little unsettling, I just coached son's basketball practice in that school on Wednesday.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
There are likely many unreported cases since if young people have it chances are they just think its a flu or something and let it pass. If you add up these cases around the world it's probably a huge amount of people who have recovered from COVID-19 without even knowing they had it. As a result, the reported death rate is likely higher than the actual death rate in reality.

Just a fact for people who didn't know to think about.