• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Cancelled my trip to Seattle next month, so far I got a full refund on the hotel and the train, just waiting if I can get a refund on my wrestling ticket I bought..... but even if I don't there 2/3 ain't bad

SOBOSLDR

Nov 27, 2017
Currently having an irritated throat and I'm coaching (dry) every 3-4 minutes. NOTHING else, no fever, or feeling sick or anything. Should I just relax?
I would relax fever is the most common symptom from the WHO report. If you notice your symptoms worsening and fever starting, or shortness of breath difficulty breathing then start to worry.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that's why R&D should be subsidized and performed by the government, and the government should drive the innovation agenda, not for-profit companies. With companies in charge of the agenda and the price, only the most profitable drugs are made and used to extort the public.

not sure the government could afford it to be honest. Development, human trials, and then the FDA NDAs all cost a bunch. It's usually why most of the funding falls on speculative investors shoulders.

it'a one instance where I feel the market is better at handling this because there's a point you have to cut off funding otherwise it could become a very expensive rabbit hole.

edit: been investing in speculative biotechs for a decade now

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
not sure the government could afford it to be honest. Development, human trials, and then the FDA NDAs all cost a bunch. It's usually why most of the funding falls on speculative investors shoulders.

it'a one instance where I feel the market is better at handling this because there's a point you have to cut off funding otherwise it could become a very expensive rabbit hole.

Maybe not in this state, no, but that's why the healthcare sector needs to be reformed in America, and tax structure too, so the government can be the R&D strong arm.

for profit companies should not be the ones deciding where the cost cut off is, because they are motivated by shareholders, not public health. The government (and non-profits) are the only entities purely capable of making decisions for public health over profit.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
www.kuow.org

The ominous days leading up to the coronavirus outbreak in the Seattle area

It was odd, the firefighter thought, how many calls were coming from the Life Care nursing facility in Kirkland.
Absolutely madness. We are so unprepared

Residents did not know they were living amid an outbreak, he said. Staff were given masks, but residents were not. For dinner that Saturday night, his father-in-law was given half a sweet potato.

jfc.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you experience any symptoms, what's the protocol? Urgent care?

I was thinking about this just today. I think it would be real bad if everyone who thought they have this descends on their local urgent care. I really feel every municipality needs to set up a coronavirus hotline and subsequent testing facility (or facilities)

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
I was thinking about this just today. I think it would be real bad if everyone who thought they have this descends on their local urgent care. I really feel every municipality needs to set up a coronavirus hotline and subsequent testing facility (or facilities)

I guess I think this way because I strongly feel like people will go to stores and buy OTC medication to treat the symptoms of this virus without actually realizing that its the coronavirus

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
I think if you have mild symptoms you stay home. That's the bad part about testing. You put others at risk just going out there.

Mar 29, 2018
A lot of people here ascribe to the spaceship Earth theory, a.k.a. the biosphere is what makes human life sustainable, not knowledge... So for these folks, we will always be a parasite and other lifeforms on Earth would be better without us, despite the fact that the biosphere itself destroyed 99.9% of all life forms on the planet before humans ever existed. Progress can't go on forever they will say, because resources are limited. Despite the fact that the biosphere by itself is terrible at sustaining life, and only progress and science made our existence something more than mere survival.
Good way of looking at it

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe not in this state, no, but that's why the healthcare sector needs to be reformed in America, and tax structure too, so the government can be the R&D strong arm.

for profit companies should not be the ones deciding where the cost cut off is, because they are motivated by shareholders, not public health. The government (and non-profits) are the only entities purely capable of making decisions for public health over profit.

The government isn't in the drug development business and they aren't the experts on determining "if we only threw another $100 million at this we would cure this".

52club

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any instance where panic makes things better? We hear reports of people attacking Chinese looking folks and fighting over masks and other shit like that... How is that not dumb? You guys know what panic means right?

That being said Musk is probably upset for his stock market.

Panic seems natural when you have people involved that failed/created other health crises situations, lied about something as silly as crowd size, and tests/supplies/health care may be lacking. This might be a bit of a chicken/egg situation, but calling panic dumb seems to ignore the disease that caused the symptom.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Costa Rica twitter is talking about this, so take it with a grain of salt.
But it is being said that the infected US tourist had suspicion of being infected on the first place, but traveled to Costa Rica due to cheaper health services.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
US will turn into the new Italy if they don't get their shit together.

You're already exporting cases ffs.

What measures would stop asymptomatic people from traveling? Even if you test 100,000 people per day, if someone doesn't have symptoms, they're not going to go in for a test, right?

Costa Rica twitter is talking about this, so take it with a grain of salt.
But it is being said that the infected US tourist had suspicion of being infected on the first place, but traveled to Costa Rica due to cheaper health services.

How does Costa Rica Twitter know this?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
What industry/business are you in if you don't mind me asking? Thoughts are with you, I know uncertainty can be anxiety inducing having been in that situation before.

I suppose I'm lucky that I work for, would you believe it, one of the global leading manufacturers of safety equipment including face masks/BA/respirators for industry. We're years away from meeting demand with those products right now of course - sadly that's not my market segment within the business! Must be a good time to work in the hand sanitiser and hand wash business too.

I've recently changed to a commercial position within the events industry (from a science/technology company) there is a whole backend that supports things like E3 and GDC and MWC.
These trade shows , Expos and conferences are being cancelled all over the world. This in turn is making everything very uncertain, businesses who would be attending are apprehensive to attend or continue planning to attend for fear of losing huge sums of money should the event be cancelled or that the future the concern is great enough to reduce visitor attendance significantly.

I'd literally put down a deposit for a new car, which I will be cancelling. So the knock on Effect continues :(

In all fairness, the company has done the right thing but to spell out the things that could be coming our way (reduced working weeks, mandatory leave, redundancies) so at least people within the organisation who are in a worse financial position than I am can plan for hard times, should it come to it.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
The government isn't in the drug development business and they aren't the experts on determining "if we only threw another $100 million at this we would cure this".

The government is in the public health business and drugs and vaccines arguably fall under that umbrella. And are you aware that most health science is funded by the NIH grants? University labs nationwide design new drugs and vaccines and patents, funded by government dollars. We just also have a system that allows certain drugs and cures to be decided by pharma companies' own R&D, and that needs to change

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The US government invests a ton of money in drug research and development. They also employ some of the best experts in the world in the field.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The government is in the public health business and drugs and vaccines arguably fall under that umbrella. And are you aware that most health science is funded by the NIH grants? University labs nationwide design new drugs and vaccines and patents, funded by government dollars. We just also have a system that allows certain drugs and cures to be decided by pharma companies' own R&D, and that needs to change

I am perfectly okay with the government claiming domain over a vaccine that could prevent or cure this. It's exactly why a company named Inovio was up over 50% today on the stock market. The government announced an $8b bill to put towards fighting this. I suspect any vaccine showing sufficient promise will get a sizable chunk of that.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly panic isn't our biggest problem right now. We have people that continue to downplay the situation and provide terrible guidance to the public at large. People buying up toilet paper is trivial to the down players

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
www.kuow.org

The ominous days leading up to the coronavirus outbreak in the Seattle area

It was odd, the firefighter thought, how many calls were coming from the Life Care nursing facility in Kirkland.
Absolutely madness. We are so unprepared

Jesus, that was a harrowing read. As someone who has family in facilities like this, I can't imagine being in a situation like this and really hope this doesn't play out similarly elsewhere in the country.

This did raise a question in my mind: I wonder what sort of lawsuits in sue-happy America are going to land when this is all said and done? I would be shocked if this care center isn't sued into oblivion soon.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
Travis County judge is signing off on a7-day festival ban for anything that could attract attendees from areas with confirmed human-to-human transmission of Covid19 that will be up for renewal until Covid19 is no longer a threat. So that's much more than just SXSW, though that's the big one and the first one.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Nebraska's first case

OMAHA, Neb. (WOWT) -- The first Nebraskan to test positive for the coronavirus is a 36-year-old woman who was traveling in the United Kingdom.

Officials said Friday the patient went to Methodist Hospital's emergency department Thursday for a respiratory infection that had been going on for 12 days.

RELATED: Continuing coverage of the coronavirus

Her symptoms were mild but got worse Thursday. She is being transferred to the biocontainment unit at the University of Nebraska Medical Center.

The woman is believed to be from Omaha.

The epidemiology team is going to figure out who may have been exposed to her. Her current condition was described as "seriously ill."

Officials credited the staff at Methodist Hospital who realized what was happening and used proper containment methods.

There is currently one person still in biocontainment at UNMC.

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
And are you aware that most health science is funded by the NIH grants? University labs nationwide design new drugs and vaccines and patents, funded by government dollars.

This isn't accurate. 99% of University research labs don't design new drugs and vaccines, they do not bring deliverable theraputics to market. They research cellular pathways, design new structures to interact with pathways and research how virus interact with out cellular biology to help understand how a vaccine could be created.

Most of the drugs and vaccines that come from this research is done by licensing these patents and discoveries to drug companies to see if any actual deliverable theraputics could be created.

Oct 27, 2017
They really need to ramp up testing kits for states. It's very likely already in all 50 just waiting to be tested. Let's get those tests out there so we can start working from home

BIG-JG

Oct 27, 2017
They really need to ramp up testing kits for states. It's very likely already in all 50 just waiting to be tested. Let's get those tests out there so we can start working from home
They absolutely do need to ramp it up. This is because republicans ruin everything they touch. I think much more people have it, but we cannot verify because we barley test.