• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
First confirmed case in Bogota, Colombia. Person got it from travel to Italy
526e17e5-1375-48b0-a8xk9h.jpeg

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018

This forum might implode.

Is there any instance where panic makes things better? We hear reports of people attacking Chinese looking folks and fighting over masks and other shit like that... How is that not dumb? You guys know what panic means right?

That being said Musk is probably upset for his stock market.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Just had a emergency staff meeting today discussing that impact of Covid on our business(my day job, not HDTVtest). If it gets much worse than it is now, some will be facing redundancy. As one of the newest hires, this makes me super nervous

navanman

Oct 27, 2017
Dublin
Another 6 cases in Ireland today. Not good.

No ban on mass gathering of people for sporting events, community events or religious gatherings.
I can't see anyway St Patrick's day parade/celebrations can go ahead.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we ban travel please.
probably won't help at this point. the cases they are catching are from people who have travelled, but they've likely already got it in each country by now. the more effective thing to do seems to be shutting things down on a national level but no one outside of asia seems to be doing that except maybe italy.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Elon obviously about to unveil a crazy technological idea to try to solve the global coronavirus crisis so he can be a hero. Let's just hope he doesn't call the scientists who actually save us from this crisis paedophiles when he throws his toys out of the pram again.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Just had a emergency staff meeting today discussing that impact of Covid on our business(my day job, not HDTVtest). If it gets much worse than it is now, some will be facing redundancy. As one of the newest hires, this makes me super nervous
What industry/business are you in if you don't mind me asking? Thoughts are with you, I know uncertainty can be anxiety inducing having been in that situation before.

I suppose I'm lucky that I work for, would you believe it, one of the global leading manufacturers of safety equipment including face masks/BA/respirators for industry. We're years away from meeting demand with those products right now of course - sadly that's not my market segment within the business! Must be a good time to work in the hand sanitiser and hand wash business too.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any instance where panic makes things better? We hear reports of people attacking Chinese looking folks and fighting over masks and other shit like that... How is that not dumb? You guys know what panic means right?

That being said Musk is probably upset for his stock market.

I think the problem is Musk's message is easy to interpret multiple ways. Yes, full blown panic helps nothing and often harms. But people taking precautions, ensuring they have a small, reasonable stockpile and taking recommended evidence based precautions in the community is not dumb. People will absolutely use high profile opinions like this to assert that the latter is dumb and that life should just go on entirely as normal, which will make the population-level response more difficult to control.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
THis is a good questionaire to ask yourself if you should cancel your travel plans:

www.uth.edu

Story

UTHealth is a comprehensive academic health university in Texas, uniting schools of dentistry, medicine, nursing, public health, biomedical sciences and biomedical informatics.

To travel, or not to travel

1. Are the travelers healthy? Yes
2. Have the travelers received flu shots? Yes
3. Do any of the travelers or anyone the travelers come in contact with have any underlying high-risk conditions (for example: mom, who has chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)? No
4. Any travel restrictions for your destination listed on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) or the U.S. Department of State page? No
5. Is the trip a cruise, which Wootton does not recommend? No
6. Are there any major events after the trip that would be problematic if you and your travelers were quarantined for a period of time? No
7. Would anxiety during travel ruin the trip for you? No
8. Are you reasonably able to implement common preventative measures (for example: wash hands, keep hands away from face, etc.) during travel? Yes
9. Would your regret be manageable if you or a family member caught COVID-19? Yes

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
Another 6 cases in Ireland today. Not good.

No ban on mass gathering of people for sporting events, community events or religious gatherings.
I can't see anyway St Patrick's day parade/celebrations can go ahead.

Likely to be at least a couple hundred people from Northern Italy milling around Dublin this weekend despite the Six Nations cancellation too. Less than ideal

My Grandad in Dublin has hypertension and I'm super worried for him

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
nypost.com

Chinese doctors perform world’s first double-lung transplant for coronavirus victim

Surgeons had to stay in a negative-pressure room during the entire operation, wearing whole-body protective suits.
COVID-19 causing irreversible lung damage, requiring transplant

www.medrxiv.org

Neurological Manifestations of Hospitalized Patients with COVID-19 in Wuhan, China: a retrospective case series study

OBJECTIVE To study the neurological manifestations of patients with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). DESIGN Retrospective case series SETTING Three designated COVID-19 care hospitals of the Union Hospital of Huazhong University of Science and Technology in Wuhan, China. PARTICIPANTS Two...
COVID-19 attacking the central nervous system as viral encephalitis.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
Apparently a company was developing a SARS vaccine back in 2016 that could have been repurposed for covid-19, but they were never able to develop it because they couldn't get the funding:

"We tried like heck to see if we could get investors or grants to move this into the clinic," said Hotez, co-director of the Center for Vaccine Development at Texas Children's Hospital and dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston. "But we just could not generate much interest."

That was a big missed opportunity, according to Hotez and other vaccine scientists, who argue that SARS, and the Middle East respiratory syndrome, or MERS, of 2012, should have triggered major federal and global investments to develop vaccines in anticipation of future epidemics.

Instead, the SARS vaccine that Hotez's team created in collaboration with scientists at the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston is sitting in a freezer, no closer to commercial production than it was four years ago.

JCH!

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tenerife
www.medrxiv.org

Neurological Manifestations of Hospitalized Patients with COVID-19 in Wuhan, China: a retrospective case series study

OBJECTIVE To study the neurological manifestations of patients with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). DESIGN Retrospective case series SETTING Three designated COVID-19 care hospitals of the Union Hospital of Huazhong University of Science and Technology in Wuhan, China. PARTICIPANTS Two...
COVID-19 attacking the central nervous system as viral encephalitis.

Maybe wait until shit's peer reviewed before posting stuff like this? Helps nobody.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently a company was developing a SARS vaccine back in 2016 that could have been repurposed for covid-19, but they were never able to develop it because they couldn't get the funding:

super common. Most new antibiotics can't get funded either because they're an unprofitable money sink. This is why insurance and profit needs to be REMOVED from the US healthcare system and these half-assed "public option for those who want it" deals moderate Americans want arent good enough.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
If you experience any symptoms, what's the protocol? Urgent care?

Depends on the local set up which you could find out from calling your local public health resource, but the emphasis should be: unless you actually need urgent/emergent medical care, don't use it. People should not be going to emergency just to see if they have it. 85% of people will have a mild course with this, so if there's no available testing which doesn't require you to come into contact with other patients (ie. home test, drive through as in S. Korea) probably best just to wait it out and minimize contact to minimize spread. Introducing new cases into a hospital/emergency setting - especially one that doesn't currently have it - would be a seriously negative contribution to the outbreak.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, hope he doesn't track any coronavirus here with him too...lol

I along with others I know adjusted their schedule today to plan for him to come, and then adjusted it again when we learned he wasn't. Now we're fucked. I'm gonna be stuck in probably even worse traffic than if he woulda came originally. God I hate him.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
super common. Most new antibiotics can't get funded either because they're an unprofitable money sink. This is why insurance and profit needs to be REMOVED from the US healthcare system and these half-assed "public option for those who want it" deals moderate Americans want arent good enough.

The potential profit is what drives innovation and these pharmaceutical companies to invest much time and money into the research and development of these things.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Don't go to urgent care. I don't know where you live but in the UK for example you'd call 111 and speak to the NHS and they may well send you to urgent care but they'd probably have you seen to outside rather than expose everyone inside. If it was an emergency then as always you'd call 999.

Mar 29, 2018
So it appears the first virus transmission in Italy was caused by a business man from Munich (Germany) that went to Codogno (where the first italian cases originated from).
Munich was one of the first clusters in Europe.
Too bad the article is on a paywall.

Rep

La selezione del meglio del giornalismo di Repubblica. Saperne di più è una tua scelta.
That's a serious plot twist

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
If you live in the US and have reason to believe you were exposed, call your local health department or PCP (or a hotline if your local government has established one) and ask for instructions.

Unless you're experiencing severe symptoms, you don't want to just show up to the clinic or ER. That puts the staff and other patients at risk, and at this time, there may not be anything they could do for you even if you are positive (there's no real treatment, and there's a severe limit on who and how many people can even be tested).

May 24, 2019
I'm planning on some international work in a month and won't be returning to my country for three months. I dunno if I should should be concerned about what the world / travel will be like by that time, or just go with the flow.

Yoshichan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Currently having an irritated throat and I'm coaching (dry) every 3-4 minutes. NOTHING else, no fever, or feeling sick or anything. Should I just relax?

JCH!

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tenerife
Or, it could be a point of discussion... This is a discussion thread. The virus was found in the brain tissue of a cadaver that died of COVID-19.

Thread guidelines do state:
Thread guidelines said:
Please refrain from posting unsubstantiated information from unverified or disreputable sources, baseless conspiracy theories, or low-effort fear-mongering.

That paper is not peer-reviewed and thus, unverified.
But hey, I'm not a mod so you do you.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
The potential profit is what drives innovation and these pharmaceutical companies to invest much time and money into the research and development of these things.

that's why R&D should be subsidized and performed by the government, and the government should drive the innovation agenda, not for-profit companies. With companies in charge of the agenda and the price, only the most profitable drugs are made and used to extort the public.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Call the help line. Don't go anywhere before you do.

Alrighty, the answers here were good and informative. It was more of a precautionary question. This virus is not slowing down, I live in a large metro area, and I'm constantly working in a pharmacy with overtime literally every week. I'm clutching my hand sanitizer at work though.

Oct 28, 2017
Elon obviously about to unveil a crazy technological idea to try to solve the global coronavirus crisis so he can be a hero. Let's just hope he doesn't call the scientists who actually save us from this crisis paedophiles when he throws his toys out of the pram again.

Nano-submarines which can modify RNA to be injected in to everyone with symptoms.

Unfortunately the nano-submarines are the size of coke bottles and have difficulty navigating the human venous system.