• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
also when they say "hypertension" i'm a bit worried. I ALWAYS have high blood pressure when I go to the doctors but they've never mentioned it to me and I think it's likely due to high alcohol use and stress of law school. It usually goes down if you test it multiple times but it's usually above normal. If my doctors see this but aren't worried should I be?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Look at SARS. Probably a lot less worry about how it makes him look but likely a lot of mismanagement all the same. The thing about these outbreaks is you have to prepare before there are outbreaks but there's never the political will for that
There was enough time with this outbreak, the US had more than a month to prepare.
But of course, Republicans decided that it's the best time to pick dump political fights with the UN and China over this.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Sooo two Americans bringing the virus to Costa Rica... You brought measles just recently... Now this... Fuck!

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
As bad as the reality of the current situation is, the scariest thing for me is to think; what if this virus was a while lot more deadly? This has demonstrated that we as a civilisation essentially have zero ability to do anything about it. Containing it, what a joke! Ticking time bomb...

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
I am honestly beginning to wonder whether containment was ever really in the cards for the West...

Meaning, it seems to me like either, governments are TOTALLY and collectively incompetent and overwhelmed with this even though they saw it coming by months, or they knew exactly what was coming and consciously made a choice to not even attempt proper containment measures for...various reasons? (they knew immediately it wouldn't fly like it did in China so they wouldn't even try, or they put economic reasons first etc.)

Singapore and maybe some other asian countries i can't think of right now (Taiwan?) besides China DID manage to more or less contain this though, so that is what is frustrating to watch here as western governments are tripping all over themselves and having this thing spread out freely with no end in sight instead of finally getting the necessary measures to put a halt to it or at least slow it down significantly... i mean, what is their end game here? They think it's just gonna go away if we close our eyes hard enough?

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Same, live in Stockholm, have all the symptoms. There is no way for me to get tested, been in contact with my doctor and like all they can do is say "you have influenza". I'm not worried about my own health, I'm young and in decent health but like it would be good to know so I can take more precautions. I'm a student who can do 99% of my stuff online so I'm quarantining myself I guess? what about everyone who can't do that? it's not like everyone who traveled back to Sweden teleported into their homes and stayed there until they showed the tiniest of symptoms and instantly called the right place.
Damn that sucks. I heard Denmark is opening up a drive through testing facility by a hospital. I'd feel a lot safer if I knew people with the symptoms could get tested.

JayRB88

Dec 3, 2019
that's 2 months away

with no action, and hospitals being overloaded... i'd say there's a chance it happens. what was a huge problem for china was the complete inability to treat most people. imagine that everywhere.

there's a reason why a lot of us keep trying to say it's important to act quickly and decisively. China got around it by shutting everything down hard. They lost a couple thousand people even though they shut everything down 1 month after outbreak. imagine 2 months into a huge outbreak how it will look if nobody is doing anything.
also when they say "hypertension" i'm a bit worried. I ALWAYS have high blood pressure when I go to the doctors but they've never mentioned it to me and I think it's likely due to high alcohol use and stress of law school. It usually goes down if you test it multiple times but it's usually above normal. If my doctors see this but aren't worried should I be?

I tend to think that hypertension is more a risk factor for organ damage over time. There are also varying degrees of hypertension and we dont know the numbers they are referring to. Keep in mind the higher fatality rate among the elderly and the fact you are more likely to have these conditions as you get older probably skews the results.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017

Getting infected with a deadly disease to own the libs.

...I wonder if it'll get to the point where Republicans are getting infected by the drove and dying (because they tend to be older and don't believe in taking precautions) but insist that it's still the flu or that Hilary is poisoning the water supply or something.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As bad as the reality of the current situation is, the scariest thing for me is to think; what if this virus was a while lot more deadly? This has demonstrated that we as a civilisation essentially have zero ability to do anything about it. Containing it, what a joke! Ticking time bomb...
it likely wouldn't spread as far if it was as deadly. It's self limiting easier to contain

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Countries would be wise to to ban Americans from entering their country because god knows how many have it in America already.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Is this kind of statement really necessary? This would probably result in a warning or a ban if someone said the same thing about Chinese or Iranian travelers.
I am again closing borders or signaling people just because of their nationality, just mentioning a fact. There are four suspected cases and two are Costa Rican, I am just saying we have bad luck with Americans bringing diseases to our country. I hope they all recover well.

May 26, 2018
Getting infected with a deadly disease to own the libs.

...I wonder if it'll get to the point where Republicans are getting infected by the drove and dying (because they tend to be older and don't believe in taking precautions) but insist that it's still the flu or that Hilary is poisoning the water supply or something.

Go fully medieval: it's a curse brought upon by a demonic orgy led by Obama and Clinton

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
I've personally seen this on facebook.

People are implying there's always a scary virus outbreak in an election year.

The deep state is at work!
Same. Not that it exists, but that 1) it's somehow caused by 5G*, and 2) that the vaccine was made** by Bill Gates for some nefarious purpose.

*because electrical lines have a "corona" of electrical discharge, something something therefore coronavirus

**I would point out there is no vaccine to begin with, but then I would have to engage with that psycho

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

If it was deadlier I'm pretty sure more people would care. Right now so many people don't care simply because they think it's just a new type of flu and that only really going to be a danger if you are old or have preexisting problems. Really lot of folks don't think it's a huge deal. If the virus was much more deadly I would imagine folks would be taking it far more serious with quarantines and such. We would be closing down almost all travel options in the case of a deadly viral outbreak

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Trump says they are doing a good job so

NeglectedUntimelyGraywolf-size_restricted.gif

God, I wish someone would crop Trump's face on this and have "Donald J. Trump" for the name. It would be perfect for your response.

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Damn that sucks. I heard Denmark is opening up a drive through testing facility by a hospital. I'd feel a lot safer if I knew people with the symptoms could get tested.
Take care if you are going t hospitals to get testing, wear face masks, wash hands.
But actually for most cases, better try to do a 2 days self quarantine, drink hot water, have good sleep, to see if gets better.
Remember, most people will test with negative result. So better to make sure if you got a cold or something. If after 3 days still feel bad or feel hard to breath, and you concern you do have contact with people from outbreak areas, then go to take testing and medical care.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm supposed to fly to Belgium tomorrow night for a week-long vacation and have had a bit of a cold all week. Do I cancel? Will I get spaced if I sneeze once on the plane? Jokes aside, I really don't know what to do. My GF has been waffling between cancel/don't cancel all day.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
So I'm supposed to fly to Belgium tomorrow night for a week-long vacation and have had a bit of a cold all week. Do I cancel? Will I get spaced if I sneeze once on the plane? Jokes aside, I really don't know what to do. My GF has been waffling between cancel/don't cancel all day.

If it's just a cold by itself and no other symptoms like fever or cough you are fine.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
Take care if you are going t hospitals to get testing, wear face masks, wash hands.
But actually for most cases, better try to do a 2 days self quarantine, drink hot water, have good sleep, to see if gets better.
Remember, most people will test with negative result. So better to make sure if you got a cold or something. If after 3 days still feel bad or feel hard to breath, and you concern you do have contact with people from outbreak areas, then go to take testing and medical care.

This will be SO hard to accurately asses by yourself though... you can easily get shortness of breath with a regular flu, i even had it happen with the common cold when i caught a little bronchitis from that... i just rested and waited it out, healed perfectly after a couple days. With THIS though? How can you tell whether it's "bad enough" to call the hotline and then exposing yourself at the hospital if it was just a cold after all or between trying to power through only to find out you're getting a more severe course and just screwed your chances by not escalating things earlier?

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017

I imagine he got infected at the same Biogen meeting as the others. Aside from the first 3 we know about, the Mayor of Boston says 3 others are infected:

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017
Absolutely crazy. Why aren't we testing?!

I read most places don't have the test for it... plus people probably can't afford to be tested (days off work, living paycheck to paycheck, medical costs).

Probably old and already posted but jfc...

You know, maybe, just maybe the US' healthcare system might be fundamentally and from the ground up broken?!

o9ztRuf.png

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I am honestly beginning to wonder whether containment was ever really in the cards for the West...

Meaning, it seems to me like either, governments are TOTALLY and collectively incompetent and overwhelmed with this even though they saw it coming by months, or they knew exactly what was coming and consciously made a choice to not even attempt proper containment measures for...various reasons? (they knew immediately it wouldn't fly like it did in China so they wouldn't even try, or they put economic reasons first etc.)

Singapore and maybe some other asian countries i can't think of right now (Taiwan?) besides China DID manage to more or less contain this though, so that is what is frustrating to watch here as western governments are tripping all over themselves and having this thing spread out freely with no end in sight instead of finally getting the necessary measures to put a halt to it or at least slow it down significantly... i mean, what is their end game here? They think it's just gonna go away if we close our eyes hard enough?

I'm sorry, but stop with the fucking fear mongering. I draw the line at conspiracy theory. Which a part of your post implies, whether you meant it or not.

You might want to stay away from the thread and need for a while and give yourself a much needed break for mental health.

I noticed your posts becoming more and more frantic and panicked. Being in an echo chamber like this wont make anything better.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I mean daycare is a little bit of a harsh term.. some parents literally cannot take off work to be home with their kids.

I'm not casting any kind of judgment either way on it, but even the way you described it is a description of daycare. This is why they aren't closing. You'll see city, county, and state officials say as such.