• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Fucking insane how a virus can spread from a small city in China to the rest of the world. We are so fucked once all the permafrost melts with all the crazy viruses that have been found in them.
lol Small city? It has the same population as NYC.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like I'm in luck - turns out my brother has a spare jug of sanitzer that he'll give me. I'll grab it tomorrow when I'm over.

phew lol

Costco manager: "Cancel that man's 'Fourth Visit in a Week' Award and charge him $2 a hotdog from now on. And send Target the usual threats"

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.kuow.org

14 now dead of coronavirus in Seattle area

Three more deaths from COVID-19, caused by coronavirus, were reported on Friday morning. That brings the total to 14 deaths from the virus in the Seattle area. Twelve of th have been at EvergreenHealth in Kirkland, Washington, across the lake from Seattle.
We need to do better at containing this virus

It's a near impossible unless you go for a mandatory (read: martial law) shutdown. Something like what China is able to do.

Seattle got its first case because a man with flu symptoms that traveled from Wuhan got symptoms.

They then started to screen for people that he came in contact with + other travelers from China.

But then we had cases where people had no contact. They realized the disease was likely spreading for 4-6 weeks via community spread. At that point they realized its impossible to contain and switched to just community prevention. Ie wash hands, be careful.

They can mitigate it, almost impossible to contain. Especially considering it can be spread without showing symptoms.

Also don't read too much into the seattle deaths. Having it be concentrated in a NURSING HOME was a worst case scenario.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this was posted, but Santa Clara county got a bunch of new cases and issues a county wide work from home guidance.

New Guidance from the County of Santa Clara’s Public Health Department to Protect Residents of the County from Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) - Public Health - County of Santa Clara

Six New Confirmed Cases in Santa Clara County SANTA CLARA COUNTY, CA — The County’s Public Health Department is taking proactive steps to protect the health of our community by making additional recommendations to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in our community and reduce...

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
By the way... cask strength alcohol will work. High quality rums and whiskies.

Hell, the way things are going, they'll probably end up cheaper per litre than hand sanitiser anyway. :D

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
By the way... cask strength alcohol will work. High quality rums and whiskies.

Hell, the way things are going, they'll probably end up cheaper per litre than hand sanitiser anyway. :D
So you're saying I should be making sanitzer with some Pappy? lol

Zassimick

Nov 6, 2017
I will just say that if you do decide to go, there's a lot of cool stuff to do here in Seattle even if the comic con is canceled.
I'll say this... If you are just visiting Seattle to sight see and whatnot... You can still go. The city hasn't exactly shut down. I'm going downtown for a concert tonight that is still on.

But Emerald City Comic Con? I'd skip it if you can tbh. Thats a lot of people in close proximity not exactly known for good hygeine. All of them touching game stations etc.

I've always wanted to go to Seattle, but ECCC cancelling is kind of the sticking point as that was a big reason to make this event happen now. Maybe if there wasn't all this happening I'd think differently, but even comic con still on (losing a lot of guests though) I'm on the fence.

I love seeing the support for the city. I have a list of a number of things I'd like to do, but one of my friends who is going is adamant about doing as much at the con as possible.

As someone who has gone to many ECCCs in years past, here are some things you should consider:

- Hygene of event goers is fairly low. So even if you are relatively diligent, I'd argue that most people there are not. Especially those who do not consider going to a large event like this a risk. I'd argue that more than half of people that use the restroom there don't wash their hands, and that was before there was COVID-19.
- Are you going to not touch anything while you're there? Because it's not like they wipe down every comic book, action figure, board game, etc after someone touches it. Are you going to sanitize yourself immediately after touching something? Do you truly have the self-control to never touch your face while you're there?
- Let's say you get sick (pretty likely). Do you not care about getting your loved ones sick too? Or spreading it to others in general?

I'm not guaranteeing that you will catch COVID. But is your personal entertainment worth all that risk? It isn't for me. I'm staying home, and staying away from anyone who goes to ECCC for awhile.

Thanks for the this list. I've never been to a con. Have heard tales about legendary con cruds. I'm already a bit of a germaphobe, so the idea of these crowds still not practicing good hygiene really shakes me.

It's been this wrestling match in the last three days thinking I might be buying into the fear and that I'll be fine if I go, as well as FOMO, versus... going, catching it, and then spreading it back in the Midwest.

I've spent the entire morning talking with the WA Dept of Health hotline, my airline about refund policy should I choose to do so, looking at the WHO's website on information and best practices, and... talking with all sorts of friends and family who all have opinions of varying degrees. Most are shrugging and say I should do it and not worry, save for my wife who is nervous about it (more of a germaphobe than I am.)

Who needs to work before a week vacation when you can be absorbed in your own head trying to make a decision?

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
Fucking insane how a virus can spread from a small city in China to the rest of the world. We are so fucked once all the permafrost melts with all the crazy viruses that have been found in them.

I suppose this is just another threat that is super-underestimated by the world community at large... until shit hits the fan. JUST like how it is now. The world was not prepared for a pandemic of this size and intensity, yet WHO and others have been warning governments about such a threat for years... It's always the same thing, NOTHING changes until we absolutely fucking have to at the last second. Only there are scenarios where that is just too damn late.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Eh I just went ahead and got tp off Amazon... $20 for 30 rolls doesn't seem bad. It's not Charmin/Kirkland, but it's available and I don't need to fight shopping cart traffic or drive around from location-to-location looking.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I suppose this is just another threat that is super-underestimated by the world community at large... until shit hits the fan. JUST like how it is now. The world was not prepared for a pandemic of this size and intensity, yet WHO and others have been warning governments about such a threat for years... It's always the same thing, NOTHING changes until we absolutely fucking have to at the last second. Only there are scenarios where that is just too damn late.
Maybe we'll finally learn something from this outbreak? Hopefully?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a near impossible unless you go for a mandatory (read: martial law) shutdown. Something like what China is able to do.
The US government can do everything that China is doing and more.
America put its citizens under curfew many many times, though we usually do it when too many black people are trying to protest some injustice.
Closing up airports, roads, schools and businesses is something America does all the time, as is mandatory quarantine.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017

Doesn't help that cases started getting really bad around the Chinese New Year where a ton of people vacation around the world during that time. It was going to get out regardless but I'm sure the timing of the year didn't help at all.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
Properly preparing for a pandemic costs money. we can't cut into our profits like that, man!

silverhick

Oct 25, 2017
Currently planning to go to Emerald City Comic Con in Seattle next week. ReedPOP hasn't cancelled, but there's a huge list of guests and artists that aren't going. Friends are going no matter what, even if the con is cancelled. If ECCC cancels I'm 100% pulling out.

Last three days have been an anxious whirlwind of deciding whether to go or not--borderline minor panic attack inducing at some points. I have friends and family on both sides of the field, saying "Go! You'll be fine. Practice good hygiene and take extra precautions." or "It's better to cancel and not spread the illness."

Wife is a HS teacher. I'm young, healthy, and only seldom work with elderly patrons. I really don't want to miss the event--a bit of FOMO since I know if I bail my friends will still go, have an awesome time, and not have any issues.

Stressed about it all.

It just got delayed to Summer so you don't have to stress.

https://twitter.com/emeraldcitycon/status/1235996413093273602

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
I've always wanted to go to Seattle, but ECCC cancelling is kind of the sticking point as that was a big reason to make this event happen now. Maybe if there wasn't all this happening I'd think differently, but even comic con still on (losing a lot of guests though) I'm on the fence.

I love seeing the support for the city. I have a list of a number of things I'd like to do, but one of my friends who is going is adamant about doing as much at the con as possible.

Thanks for the this list. I've never been to a con. Have heard tales about legendary con cruds. I'm already a bit of a germaphobe, so the idea of these crowds still not practicing good hygiene really shakes me.

It's been this wrestling match in the last three days thinking I might be buying into the fear and that I'll be fine if I go, as well as FOMO, versus... going, catching it, and then spreading it back in the Midwest.

I've spent the entire morning talking with the WA Dept of Health hotline, my airline about refund policy should I choose to do so, looking at the WHO's website on information and best practices, and... talking with all sorts of friends and family who all have opinions of varying degrees. Most are shrugging and say I should do it and not worry, save for my wife who is nervous about it (more of a germaphobe than I am.)

Who needs to work before a week vacation when you can be absorbed in your own head trying to make a decision?
This may influence your decision a bit.

Ishmael

Oct 27, 2017
America put its citizens under curfew many many times, though we usually do it when too many black people are trying to protest some injustice.
Closing up airports, roads, schools and businesses is something America does all the time, as is mandatory quarantine.
I hate the incompetency of the Trump administration but I'm not certain I like the alternative that the Trump administration realizes it has massive police state powers.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Feel like the UK response has been quite good so far.

It really isnt. They need to shut down the cities and have people remote working. I've been on the tube all week and it's diabolical down there, people coughing all over the place.

It's going to spread like crazy if we don't shut it down.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
It really isnt. They need to shut down the cities and have people remote working. I've been on the tube all week and it's diabolical down there, people coughing all over the place.

It's going to spread like crazy if we don't shut it down.
Just reminded me that I've got a train journey coming. =/

Should have paid extra for first class!

SOBOSLDR

Nov 27, 2017
One of the reasons Italy has had a high death rate is it seemed one of the first sites of spread was in a hospital where they did not take the right precautions.

"On 14 February, he felt unwell and went to a doctor in Castiglione d'Adda. He was prescribed treatments for influenza.[20]

On 16 February, as the 38-year-old man's condition worsened, he went to Codogno Hospital, reporting respiratory problems.[20]Initially, there was no suspicion of COVID-19, so no additional precautionary measures were taken, and the virus was able to infect other patients and health workers."

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Father in law has just had to self quarantine. He was working down in London for the last two weeks and one of his colleagues now has symptoms. His work after talking to the NHS has advised everyone who was working at the site to self-quarantine until testing can be carried out. But it makes you think, my FIL was working with this guy for two weeks, the guy like my FIL was staying in a hotel, eating in restaurants, going to the cinema etc and getting the tube from the hotel to the site and back. Then my FIL got the 4hr 30 minutes train from London to Glasgow on Thursday afternoon to be told this morning that he needs to self-isolate.

The sheer number of vectors is potentially immense.

That's two people I know who've had to self-quarantine. Although my friend has tested negative.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017

Seattle got its first case because a man with flu symptoms that traveled from Wuhan got symptoms.

They then started to screen for people that he came in contact with + other travelers from China.

But then we had cases where people had no contact. They realized the disease was likely spreading for 4-6 weeks via community spread. At that point they realized its impossible to contain and switched to just community prevention. Ie wash hands, be careful.

They can mitigate it, almost impossible to contain. Especially considering it can be spread without showing symptoms.

Also don't read too much into the seattle deaths. Having it be concentrated in a NURSING HOME was a worst case scenario.
The problem is that the testing is so lax it could be spreading without anyone's knowledge. If we wait until the obvious or severe cases start showing up it might already be too late.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't think its worth it tbh.

People need a stockpile of supplies. How do you guarantee they have that?

If you even shutdown the entire country for a week, there's no guarantee the virus isn't just gonna pop back up after the shutdown goes away.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not an American and the US's lack of testing is what's scaring me the most about this virus right now

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just don't think its worth it tbh.

People need a stockpile of supplies. How do you guarantee they have that?

If you even shutdown the entire country for a week, there's no guarantee the virus isn't just gonna pop back up after the shutdown goes away.
I don't think we need full curfew (something they're not doing in China by the way, not even in Wuhan) I just think that it's important to understand that the US government has almost unlimited powers in times of national emergency, and we can do much much more.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we need full curfew (something they're not doing in China by the way, not even in Wuhan) I just think that it's important to understand that the US government has almost unlimited powers in times of national emergency, and we can do much much more.
Trump says they are doing a good job so

NeglectedUntimelyGraywolf-size_restricted.gif

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's illegal to sell in California by the look of it.
Which honestly, makes sense, this is an intermediary step in vodka making and it's fucking crazy they sell it to consumers.
They'd put it in the punch at frat parties during college. It's insane. Once took a shot and it fucked me up immediately

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really feel bad for most americans here. I personally feel very disappointed in my own country, Sweden's, reaction to all this but I know they've at least done the bare minimum you can expect from a developed country. What is happening in USA can't be compared to that. So many evidences of widespread community spread and they've done way less tests than we've done in Sweden. I watched the clip with the doctor who said it's a national scandal and I'd honestly call it a worldwide scandal considering large outbreaks in any country have repercussions on all countries.

leder

Oct 25, 2017

Do nursing homes not ever get the flu though? 13 deaths at that one site seems insane.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, how might the George W Bush administration have been handling this if he was president now instead of Trump ?
Look at SARS. Probably a lot less worry about how it makes him look but likely a lot of mismanagement all the same. The thing about these outbreaks is you have to prepare before there are outbreaks but there's never the political will for that