• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Please help me get this straight, A person that has caught Corona virus can have an incubation period for up to 2 weeks before symptoms show? If true, can that person spread the virus while its in incubation?
There is a edge case for the longest window of 24 days.
People can spread virus 2 days before symptoms.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
JFC... Even Target is completely sold out of alcohol.

I give up. Can't buy sanitizer, can't even buy the ingredients to make the shit anymore.

And I still find it worrying the 70% is also sold out when that won't do anything once mixed.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017

I give up. Can't buy sanitizer, can't even buy the ingredients to make the shit anymore.

And I still find it worrying the 70% is also sold out when that won't do anything once mixed.

Don't you go to Costco like 3 times a week? Probably should have stocked up sooner.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

If you're in a state where everclear is legal, you can use that too if it's not sold out.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017

Did you try the liquor store to see if they have everclear or something super high in alcohol content? Supposedly 120 proof or 60% or more is good enough?

Bacardi 151 maybe?

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Are these mad rushes for supplies going to continue until the pandemic ends, or is this just an initial reaction that people have to get out of their systems?
I would assume it's going to get worse before it gets better.

So rich pieces of shit are f***ing it up for the rest of the world. WTF...
ynh6dAk.gif

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Currently planning to go to Emerald City Comic Con in Seattle next week. ReedPOP hasn't cancelled, but there's a huge list of guests and artists that aren't going. Friends are going no matter what, even if the con is cancelled. If ECCC cancels I'm 100% pulling out.

Last three days have been an anxious whirlwind of deciding whether to go or not--borderline minor panic attack inducing at some points. I have friends and family on both sides of the field, saying "Go! You'll be fine. Practice good hygiene and take extra precautions." or "It's better to cancel and not spread the illness."

Wife is a HS teacher. I'm young, healthy, and only seldom work with elderly patrons. I really don't want to miss the event--a bit of FOMO since I know if I bail my friends will still go, have an awesome time, and not have any issues.

Stressed about it all.

I will just say that if you do decide to go, there's a lot of cool stuff to do here in Seattle even if the comic con is canceled.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
This virus shit is making our already paranoid over-privileged clientele even more paranoid.

Party of twenty comes into the buffet and demands new serving spoons.....FOR EACH of the twenty food items on the buffet for each person, after they use them.

Demands they have more seating space so theres at least one to two seats of space between them and other people.

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Some people here buy 95% vodka and add water to be 75% alcohol. lol

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The mortality rate is 4.2% now :(

I don't want to downplay the seriousness of this virus but something to keep in mind is the amount of infected is likely MUCH higher than reported. It's because the majority of cases are fairly mild so people think they have the flu or a cold and just rest (or continue to go out and spread it unfortunately) and get better and think nothing of it.

Also doesn't help that testing for this is lagging behind terribly.

Currently planning to go to Emerald City Comic Con in Seattle next week. ReedPOP hasn't cancelled, but there's a huge list of guests and artists that aren't going. Friends are going no matter what, even if the con is cancelled. If ECCC cancels I'm 100% pulling out.

Last three days have been an anxious whirlwind of deciding whether to go or not--borderline minor panic attack inducing at some points. I have friends and family on both sides of the field, saying "Go! You'll be fine. Practice good hygiene and take extra precautions." or "It's better to cancel and not spread the illness."

Wife is a HS teacher. I'm young, healthy, and only seldom work with elderly patrons. I really don't want to miss the event--a bit of FOMO since I know if I bail my friends will still go, have an awesome time, and not have any issues.

Stressed about it all.

I'll say this... If you are just visiting Seattle to sight see and whatnot... You can still go. The city hasn't exactly shut down. I'm going downtown for a concert tonight that is still on.

But Emerald City Comic Con? I'd skip it if you can tbh. Thats a lot of people in close proximity not exactly known for good hygeine. All of them touching game stations etc.

Sep 17, 2018
Italy
Active cases: 3916 (+620) divided in 1060 (-95) self-quarantined, 2394 (+604) hospitalized, 462 (+111) in ICU
Deaths: 197 (+49)
Recoveries: 523 (+109)
Total cases: 4636 (+778)
Tested: 36359 (+3997)

The average age of deceased patients who tested positive for COVID-2019 is 81 years, they are mostly men and in more than two thirds of cases have three or more pre-existing diseases. This is confirmed by an analysis of the data of 105 Italian patients who died on March 4, conducted by the Istituto Superiore di Sanità, which shows that there is a 20-year difference between the average age of the deceased and that of the virus positive patients. The report concerns the deceased patients and is based on data obtained through the completion of a questionnaire developed ad hoc for the detection of death cases. The average age of the patients examined is 81 years, about 20 years older than that of the patients who have contracted the infection, and women are 28 (26.7%). The majority of deaths 42.2% occurred in the 80 to 89 age group, while 32.4% were between 70 and 79, 8.4% between 60 and 69, 2.8% between 50 and 59 and 14.1% over 90. Women who died after COVID-2019 infection are older than men (median age women 83.4 - median age men 79.9). The average number of diseases observed in this population is 3.4 (median 3, Standard Deviation 2.1). Overall, 15.5% of the sample had 0 or 1 pathologies, 18.3% had 2 pathologies and 67.2% had 3 or more pathologies. The most represented comorbidity is hypertension (present in 74.6% of the sample), followed by ischemic heart disease (70.4%) and diabetes mellitus (33.8%). The median time from onset of symptoms to hospitalization was 5 days and the median time between hospitalization and death was 4 days. "Although preliminary, these data confirm the observations made so far in the rest of the world on the main characteristics of patients - comments Iss President Silvio Brusaferro -, in particular on the fact that the elderly and people with pre-existing diseases are more at risk. These are very fragile people, who often live in close contact and we must protect them as much as possible".

5x5L8Jx.png

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Getting pretty annoyed with things in Sweden.

We are at 136 confirmed cases. We're doing a decent amount of testing. But...

The criteria to get tested are insane. Basically:
  • You have corona symptoms and have been to a hotspot country.
  • You have been in close contact with a confirmed case.
  • They have basically ruled out everything else and you have all the fitting symptoms.
Our Health Department keeps saying "all our cases are from people who have been abroad" and I'm just flabbergasted. How can we know when we basically only test the criteria that guarantees that will be the result?

I'm just hoping it all ends up ok but I'd feel a lot better if it felt like we took it seriously.

I'm flying back into Stockholm on Monday. How are things? Any local panics and stores being empty?

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
One of my friends in LA just told me that their boss said he's going to a concert in Orange County in 2 weeks and "I'm going to bring it [Covid] back here and all of you will get it hahaha"

I just

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Four new cases in Ontario, Canada.

All travel related; one man from Las Vegas, a couple from the Grand Princess cruise, and a man from Iran.

All in self-isolation now with mild symptoms.

However, the man from Las Vegas travelled using the TTC (toronto public transit) for three days straight while having symptoms. This could cause a local cluster to emerge.

Dr. Eileen de Villa, chief medical officer of health for Toronto, told reporters at a news conference Friday morning that the man took public transit between March 2 and March 4.

She said the man took transit from Bathurst TTC station westbound to Islington TTC station around 8:50 a.m. on all three of those days. He also travelled from the Islington TTC station to his workplace using the 108 N MiWay express bus each day.

When travelling home, the man travelled from his workplace to Yorkdale TTC station using the 27 Milton GO bus. That travel occurred at 6:10 p.m on those days. Then he travelled from Yorkdale TTC station to St. George TTC station around 6:40 p.m. The final part of his trip home involved transit from St. George TTC station to Bathurst TTC station around 6:45 p.m.

On March 4, the man also travelled from Bathurst TTC station to the 511 Bathurst streetcar. He is now at home in self-isolation, officials say.

As well, some Toronto hospitals will create separate testing centers should local transmisson occur:

Some Ontario hospitals are preparing to create stand-alone testing centres for coronavirus if COVID-19 begins spreading widely within the province, CBC Toronto has learned.

According to two health sector sources familiar with the plans, Toronto-area hospitals would establish separate assessment centres in facilities such as portables. The sources confirmed that the Michael Garron Hospital is one of the facilities applying to create a stand-alone assessment centre.

The move would reduce the risk that patients with COVID-19 spread the coronavirus to uninfected people in hospital emergency rooms.

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any numbers on Iran's infected? Seems like they have no handle and control over the outbreak and are leading to infections nearly everywhere

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Penske's probably sweating right now. I'm pretty sure it's still the highest attended single day sporting event in the world, with like a ton on international visitors.

If it gets bad enough to affect the 500, it'll likely be affecting other sporting events, too. I think everyone in the sports realm is going to possibly be fretting things.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I don't want to downplay the seriousness of this virus but something to keep in mind is the amount of infected is likely MUCH higher than reported. It's because the majority of cases are fairly mild so people think they have the flu or a cold and just rest (or continue to go out and spread it unfortunately) and get better and think nothing of it.

Also doesn't help that testing for this is lagging behind terribly.
Yes, the way Western countries only test if you have bad symptoms AND if you were in direct contact with a known case means it will be severely underreported, inflating the mortality number.

We actually have a pretty good number I think on the ideal petri dish: the Diamond Princess cruise ship. Everyone that got into contact with it was tested and you could see the course of the disease. Of the 3000 people, 700 got infected (of course that doesn't mean anything for the likely real world spread, they were in quarantine), and as far as I know, 6 died. That number will probably go up a bit, but roughly 1%. Of course cruise ships skew older, so maybe below 1% in the real population.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
It's illegal to sell in California by the look of it.
Which honestly, makes sense, this is an intermediary step in vodka making and it's fucking crazy they sell it to consumers.
What's crazy is even the fucking witch hazel (which is right next to the alcohol) was almost sold out - you know people are in full panic mode when they're buying shit that won't even work.

Last edited:

Tangeroo

Oct 26, 2017

Stressed about it all.

As someone who has gone to many ECCCs in years past, here are some things you should consider:

- Hygene of event goers is fairly low. So even if you are relatively diligent, I'd argue that most people there are not. Especially those who do not consider going to a large event like this a risk. I'd argue that more than half of people that use the restroom there don't wash their hands, and that was before there was COVID-19.
- Are you going to not touch anything while you're there? Because it's not like they wipe down every comic book, action figure, board game, etc after someone touches it. Are you going to sanitize yourself immediately after touching something? Do you truly have the self-control to never touch your face while you're there?
- Let's say you get sick (pretty likely). Do you not care about getting your loved ones sick too? Or spreading it to others in general?

I'm not guaranteeing that you will catch COVID. But is your personal entertainment worth all that risk? It isn't for me. I'm staying home, and staying away from anyone who goes to ECCC for awhile.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Yeah, and I find that commendable. What I mean is that regardless of the ethnicity of the people who are in these cases popping up, news sites and editors are putting in images of Asians wearing masks to perpetuate the racist stereotype that it's Chinese people who are spreading this virus around. Here's a clear example.

I remember seeing that article under my recommended a couple days ago, getting really annoyed about it, saying "of course this is the New York Post", and wanting to show it to a friend, but I didn't screenshot it. Thanks for sharing this tweet about it.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder what's causing the seemingly higher death rate in italy? older? smoking?

This is a really good post about it
www.resetera.com

Novel coronavirus (COVID-19) resources and discussion thread (Discussion guidelines in OP) COVID - OT

For those wondering about the very high Italian death rate, the Italian health ministry just published some details: http://www.salute.gov.it/portale/news/p3_2_1_1_1.jsp?lingua=italiano&menu=notizie&p=dalministero&id=4163 edit:fixed link The main fact is that the patients are very old: "The...

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't even know if I should be flying to Florida next week anymore. I have to fly through Seattle. I have contemplated flying through Portland, but that probably won't matter anyways at this point.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
Anyone got numbers on Japan to compare with Italy? If the argument is that Italy has the second oldest population in the world, well then Japan has the oldest, so if that's true the CFR in Japan should be HIGHER than in Italy if anything. Is that the case?

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
The virus has spread so quickly that with stretched resources they're likely rationing and only testing patients showing very serious symptoms at this point, which would skew the results significantly.

Correct, the critical/mortality rate can be affected by a number of things but of course we should take it seriously, if only to slow the spread generally and to vulnerable populations.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Looks like I'm in luck - turns out my brother has a spare jug of sanitzer that he'll give me. I'll grab it tomorrow when I'm over.

phew lol

D23

Oct 25, 2017
www.kuow.org

14 now dead of coronavirus in Seattle area

Three more deaths from COVID-19, caused by coronavirus, were reported on Friday morning. That brings the total to 14 deaths from the virus in the Seattle area. Twelve of th have been at EvergreenHealth in Kirkland, Washington, across the lake from Seattle.
We need to do better at containing this virus

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
neat video by vox

not sure if posted yet

Details a few things I knew, but good to see it put into this perspective.

A poster earlier in this topic was actually saying how no one they knew ate these wild animals, when I mentioned them being a thing for poverty and of course, a wealthy delicacy. I understand that it is NOT a common thing in China (nor did I ever hint that it was, just that it DOES happen) and this pretty much shows how China favored these animal farms/wildlife trades to operate (including endangered species) because of their bottom line to satisfy the rich, basically.

I also mentioned pangolins too, and it looks like the best guess is that COVID-19 came from bats that spread to pangolins, and then humans... I guess I wasn't too far off.

In other news, Target has a spring cleaning sale right now... they definitely planned that on their teams WAY before this all happened.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Fucking insane how a virus can spread from a small city in China to the rest of the world. We are so fucked once all the permafrost melts with all the crazy viruses that have been found in them.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The toilet paper lunatics have descended, shelves cleared. Does nobody have any common sense.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
www.kuow.org

14 now dead of coronavirus in Seattle area

Three more deaths from COVID-19, caused by coronavirus, were reported on Friday morning. That brings the total to 14 deaths from the virus in the Seattle area. Twelve of th have been at EvergreenHealth in Kirkland, Washington, across the lake from Seattle.
We need to better at containing this virus
Washington state now has more deaths than all but 2 provinces in China.

Fucking insane how a virus can spread from a small city in China to the rest of the world.
Wuhan has a larger population than NYC. It's not a small city.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
50% hospitalization rate? That seems really high.

That's why the downplaying of "everyone will get it, just accept it, it is no big deal" is so infuriating and dangerous.
we don't have the capacity to get so many people on respirators. There are still hundreds of people who need artificial oxygen to survive, weeks later. The death rate can only go up if the active cases don't go down.