• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like in these discussions there are often misunderstandings because different people actually MEAN different things because they often do not specify in enough detail what they are trying to convey.

I think it is import to clarify that when we are talking about the situation right NOW in this instant, then yes, of course the flu is more dangerous than this because the flu is still a LOT more prevalent around the world (more people infected).

What a lot of people actually MEAN though when they say this is more dangerous than the flu is the potential this has in comparison to the flu!
We already know the more or less "maximum extent" of the flu since it pretty much HAS already spread worldwide (albeit with different strains, mutations, and varying degrees of spread each year etc. but you get the basic idea)

Now, if Covid-19 is allowed so achieve that SAME prevalence in the world than the flu, then it will absolutely be more dangerous to the world as a whole since it causes a higher percentage of fatalities.

This is all assuming that health care systems CAN handle the influx of patients all of a sudden, in case they cannot, the sky is the limit in terms of damage this thing can cause, which is mainly why it is extremely important to contain and delay this from happening as good as we possibly can. This is also now where the main challenge lies and why everyone must work together to achieve this common goal.

This is all very true, but in the discussion I was talking about no-one actually argued the flu is worse than COVID. Just that comparing the death rate at the moment is not really reliable

Sage

Oct 27, 2017
Japan
They are a bunch of doctors and epidemiologists who do important and dangerous work, they are instrumental in the fight against AIDS, malaria, smallpox, polio, you name it. What political goals of China do you think they are advancing?
The GOP has been trying to politicize that shit for years because they fucking hate the UN, and I think it's really stupid.
They, demonstratively, have chosen to selectively comment only on issues where it will advance their standing with China - in order to maintain their funding and co-operation - despite that possibly being detrimental to the management of this virus.

If imposing quarantines or travel bans on China was 'counterproductive' as they said at the time while taking China's side, then why now that China are doing it are they not calling them out for it? Isn't their job to advise governments and the public of the best way to handle this outbreak? Or is their main goal actually, just as with the majority of the UN's bureaucratic satellites, to gain funding and keep their friends happy?

For the WHO obviously the 'greater good' is preserving the WHO - and I can see why it makes sense. They can't provide the support to those developing countries fighting AIDS, Malaria and so on as you said without keeping big countries happy, and so maybe they'll do something like prevent Taiwan from using their resources or provide biased soundbites now and again because while that does a little damage, them having their support pulled and disappearing does greater damage to the world. Their actions are decided by a committee of people who KNOW what their words mean to others - it's not some utopian vision of a team of super doctors from around the world - they are in effect politicians because that is what is necessary for them to continue to exist.

The only checks and balances we have on that not tipping over into outright corruption IS criticizing and analyzing what the WHO do and say with a free press. It's not detrimental at all.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Korea having a fit about the 2 week quarantine Japan implemented on people traveling from there (along with China, Iran and Italy) yet saying nothing about the same measures applied by Australia and threatening to apply trade and travel restrictions on Japan in retaliation is exactly the kind of bullshit that the world doesn't need and another example of politics making this more of a mess than it could've been.

Reminds me of China's outburst about it when it happened to them and their best friends the WHO trying to keep in their good books and backing them up saying it was 'unscientific.' Now China is banning people from Japan, Iran, Korea etc where is the WHO's opinion now?

Yeah, it's pretty shitty to see it unfold like this. Not unexpected though.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
One of the new case here in the Philippines is a stall vendor on a shopping market. While it is inside a mall, the shopping area where the stall is a dense, tightly packed area with multiple stalls and vendors. She is probably not the only one affected...

wasn't there also another case where she/he tested positive in Australia, and she/he was from a flight from the Philippines lol

bakedpony

Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Apparently someone got tasered in a fight over toilet paper in Tamworth
This is devastating the restaurant industry in the region, many reservations cancelled. Hopefully they can apply for some short term loans or we're going to have a lot of businesses go belly up

A lot of my friends in the industry are panicking big time and some have already had massive cancellations (losing out on $50-$100K).

It hasn't even hit Australia that hard yet. For a rough industry at the best of times, the future seems very sketchy.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
So one of the cases in the Czech Republic is a doctor who returned from Italy and even though he had symptoms, he just continued to work with patients for two days. How can we contain it when even doctors are so stupid?

We're way past the contain phase. People are too stupid.

Containing should've happened at airports. It's too late. Community spreading will be a big problem from here on out pretty much everywhere.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Short answer? "We simply do not know why".

'We simply do not understand why': Coronavirus is sparing children, puzzling experts'

A bit more of that answer here:

But we still don't actually know why. Maybe it is Earth's way of... Naaaah.

it is crazy, but you can see why people on old times fell for Gods wrath etc, here we have a virus that spares the young and able, and potentially kills the weak

conspiracy nut jobs will be all over this

uzipukki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just read it in the local paper. They have a corona patient here in my town (Oulu, Finland). :(

Garfield

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Our Health minister (Matt HANCOCK) here in the U.K. last night on a BBC show basically said Italy are doing it wrong, he reckons the U.K. scientists are telling him as it is airborne there is no need to cancel large gatherings, shut schools and colleges as the person who has it can only spread it to the people in their immediate vicinity

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Our Health minister (Matt HANCOCK) here in the U.K. last night on a BBC show basically said Italy are doing it wrong, he reckons the U.K. scientists are telling him as it is airborne there is no need to cancel large gatherings, shut schools and colleges as the person who has it can only spread it to the people in their immediate vicinity

You know what large gatherings, schools and colleges have in common? People being in the immediate vicinity with each other very often.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017

He's such a fucking moron.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017

I hope that in UK the situation will not get as bad as here in Italy, otherwise with a health minister who states such things, I don't know which countermeasures (if any) would be carried out.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't. I just can't. This is actually real life

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
it is crazy, but you can see why people on old times fell for Gods wrath etc, here we have a virus that spares the young and able, and potentially kills the weak

conspiracy nut jobs will be all over this

Of course... on the bright side of this though, maybe scientists will be able to some day figure out what exactly it is that makes kids "immune" to this and maybe apply some of that towards a treatment for adults. It's a long shot but hey, at this point...

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's weird that my company still doesn't encourage people to work from home despite all or most of us can do that just fine due to the nature of the work.
For some reason we ( UK ) take the approach of do nothing until it spread....

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They, demonstratively, have chosen to selectively comment only on issues where it will advance their standing with China - in order to maintain their funding and co-operation - despite that possibly being detrimental to the management of this virus.

If imposing quarantines or travel bans on China was 'counterproductive' as they said at the time while taking China's side, then why now that China are doing it are they not calling them out for it? Isn't their job to advise governments and the public of the best way to handle this outbreak? Or is their main goal actually, just as with the majority of the UN's bureaucratic satellites, to gain funding and keep their friends happy?

For the WHO obviously the 'greater good' is preserving the WHO - and I can see why it makes sense. They can't provide the support to those developing countries fighting AIDS, Malaria and so on as you said without keeping big countries happy, and so maybe they'll do something like prevent Taiwan from using their resources or provide biased soundbites now and again because while that does a little damage, them having their support pulled and disappearing does greater damage to the world. Their actions are decided by a committee of people who KNOW what their words mean to others - it's not some utopian vision of a team of super doctors from around the world - they are in effect politicians because that is what is necessary for them to continue to exist.

The only checks and balances we have on that not tipping over into outright corruption IS criticizing and analyzing what the WHO do and say with a free press. It's not detrimental at all.
I don't know why you continue to say China ban traveling from outbreak areas. I have showed you the news right? We got 4 import cases from Korea and 11 cases from Iran yesterday.

I feel you intend to express some emotions than looking to the reality.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
So one of the cases in the Czech Republic is a doctor who returned from Italy and even though he had symptoms, he just continued to work with patients for two days. How can we contain it when even doctors are so stupid?

To be fair, he asked the health commission what to do as soon as he came back and they told him "you weren't in the at-risk area, you're fine".
(he was at a resort 30 km from the quarantine)

He had to get tested on his own initiative, otherwise nobody would even know he's infected.

Oni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Must be a Liverpool fan.

Deleted member 11479

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Estonia has reached double digits in confirmed cases. All ten are imports though, the first one was from Iran and the other nine from Italy.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
The population is NOT the problem. The planet, surface and resources wise, has more than enough capacity.

The problem is MANAGEMENT of the space and resources. Which we are doing terribly. The planet being broken up into autonomous states, greedy for power and resources in a capitalist system, means that we misuse and overstretch resources by default. THIS is the problem. There's no oversight or authority to control stuff across borders.
People and commodities are crammed into cities rather than positioned strategically. For every careful developed country there are several third world countries.
I disagree and I think people who keep having kids are irresponsible.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
What an absolute fucking idiot.

This is what happens when ministers are put into roles they have no idea about.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
It's weird that my company still doesn't encourage people to work from home despite all or most of us can do that just fine due to the nature of the work.

My employer in the UK is really ramping up it's readiness .... HR knows everyones travel plans.. visitors now have to fill out a questionnaire for the same info.... We're being encouraged to work from home... Laptops are being built for desktop users... VPN capabilities have been expanded... Further encouraged to use Skype (which we all ready do)... Advice for people using public transport is not either stay in one office or work from home..

They are taking really seriously... We also get 6 months of paid sick leave...

So while the UK government is seemingly doing fuck all some businesses are not.

Deleted member 34788

Banned
Nov 29, 2017

Whilst I have zero, absolute zero confidence in the tories, the wider government, seasoned experts, fucking ironic given the tories view on them, I do have confidence in. This is almost a wholly medical, science driven approach to the crisis in the uk. Far exceeding my expectations for the shower of a gov. They have extremely quickly put the right, correct people in charge of this. Let's just hope it runs off on other parts.

Oh and to add to this, the person in charge of the response advised yesterday to a parliamentary committee the CFR in the uk due to this should be below or around 1%. Which should reassure uk peeps in this thread.

I hope that in UK the situation will not get as bad as here in Italy, otherwise with a health minister who states such things, I don't know which countermeasures (if any) would be carried out.

The projected response is very robust. Think a mix of SK, and English robust response. With, if required, a china like response if it goes that way. There was a 28 page plan that was published, which make for stark, but oddly reassuring reading. Nothing is off the table to kill this thing.

To add myself to the pile in this thread. Office is talking about WFH for all of us. We have worked remotely before so it's just a matter of making sure everything is secured.

To as

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
3.800 cases in Italy, mortality rate 3,8%.
If this isn't eradicated quickly the toll is going to be huge.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Of course... on the bright side of this though, maybe scientists will be able to some day figure out what exactly it is that makes kids "immune" to this and maybe apply some of that towards a treatment for adults. It's a long shot but hey, at this point...
It's not that the young and healthy are immune to it. They still get infected but the symptoms are likely mild or sometimes the symptoms won't even show up but they are still carriers. They are just healthy enough to either shrug it off or fight it of quicker.

This is nothing new. This is seen in other types of viral infections and even bacterial infections. Sometimes the reverse happens like what happened with the Spanish flu and some strains of the common flu. The leading theory for that one is that the young person's immune system reacts too aggressively, essentially with the persons own body drowning them in a bid to aggressively get rid of the infectious agent in the lungs.

Jun 12, 2018
Yeah the uk government is dumb as hell. The way that clown on question time was talking, you may aswell spread the virus yourself. I just pray things settle down over the coming weeks.

Stay safe everyone

Garfield

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Stupid question. Has any doctor thought about using kids poo in the older people

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
People, at a population level, naturally have less kids when they have access to better education and become more affluent. No exceptions have been seen so far in any countries. Indeed, the opposite is happening all across the developed world except those that have a fairly immigration policy.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
Even if its fake, it made me really laugh
wnnHCz3.jpg

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
That wouldn't help here.

The effects he means are more of the long term variant, fecal transplants are being discussed in matters of possibly affecting the immune sysem of the receiver, but that kinda research is in it's infancy so it really is out of the question that for something this imminent it could possibly be of any use now.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

If every person on the planet stopped having children tomorrow we'd still be doomed from climate change unless we make some serious changes. That would take decades before it had any appreciable affect on the population enough to slow down climate change. Simply we put we need to change the way we do things.

You're also conveniently ignoring all the huge problems that would cause our society in itself. It's not some silver bullet for climate change. Also despite that stupid graph that's constantly posting having an extra child doesn't have to mean a huge increase in your carbon footprint depending on your lifestyle.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Just to point out. China at least until yesterday was not imposing travel ban, but quarantine after arrival.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017

That's what my company are doing as well. Until it gets worse (when it'll already be too late and a few of us may have it) they're not planning on doing anything.