• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018

All north shore district schools closed for two weeks, students will remote learn (teachers had Tuesday off for remote training)

www.geekwire.com

Microsoft’s new coronavirus plan: Seattle-area employees to work from home for next 3 weeks

Microsoft is recommending that all of its Seattle-area employees who can do their jobs from home do so for the next three weeks, through March 25, in the latest effort to thwart the spread of the…

Microsoft having employees work from home for the next 3 weeks.

Idk what my school in the area is waiting for. Good times.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like in 2020 I'm skipping:

1. Concerts
2. Movie theaters
3. Supermarkets at peak times
4. Public travel
5. Malls/stores

Just gonna stay home and live on internet streams.
Man, seeing the word concert reminds me that my brother and I have one next month. I spent $360 on those tickets for Christmas, no way to get money back. Obviously there's more pressing worries, but I'm really hoping that by that time things haven't gotten worse to the point where dipping from it entirely is the only option. Especially since it's been the thing he's been most excited for all year.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm seeing Onward tomorrow, going to an XFL game on Saturday, then I'm done with large public places for a bit.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. This is pretty grim information combined with the people that have been hypothesizing that just about everyone might catch this at some point.
I'm not going to worry too much yet but IIRC the majority or a good amount of SARS survivors had a permanently lower quality of life after recovering. SARS affected one lung while this is more likely to involve both lungs, so theoretically this sounds potentially worse to me.

Mar 3, 2019
I'm not going to worry too much yet but IIRC the majority or a good amount of SARS survivors had a permanently lower quality of life after recovering. SARS affected one lung while this is more likely to involve both lungs, so theoretically this sounds potentially worse to me.

I wonder if there are any statistics on the younger people who had more mild symptoms, if they also had the permanent lung scarring? It also makes you wonder if the people dying got the mutated more aggresive strain of covid versus the basic strain.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
"just now settling in for the night... might as well have a look at the COVID-19 thread."

*yawns*

I wonder if things are getting better...

giphy.gif

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I'm seeing Onward tomorrow, going to an XFL game on Saturday, then I'm done with large public places for a bit.
Good luck with that. As long as you're not in Washington you should be fine.

Edit: I guess Seattle-area is more accurate but honestly I wouldn't want to go anywhere with crowds in the state right now.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019
Reminder that AIDS is from a completely different family of viruses, it's a retrovirus

That is the main thing I'd be concerned about for myself

Yeah, cause that would change the ball game entirely. Im still of the mind that containment might be impossible so we just need to learn to deal with the fact that most people would get the virus. But if this variation of the virus that has these combined attacks can affect mild cases as well(need to see data for this) then that would change my behavior alot. I would be much less likely to want to go out anymore if my area got infected.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Man getting virus updates over the mountain range loud speakers at schools here in Japan is some Resident Evil feeling stuff. They are not saying anything new or crazy though.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So a rich white dude who was born rich because he is in a privileged family that gets millions gifted to them from taxpayers' money because of historic reasons not obtained by him makes fun of the people dying, people whose taxes allow him to have this wealthy life. The sooner the UK moves on from this archaic tradition and these people have to contribute to society in a meaningful way, the better it'll be.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
So the reason I'm posting this is it will be something to keep an eye on as the 17 year old who was possibly exposed has Cystic Fibrosis. CF is a terminal lung disease, I have it as well, so I am especially focused on it as could be the first case of a young person with underlying health issues, especially a lung issue, coming down with the virus and watching how it affects them as it could serve as a bell-weather for other young people who are affected by health issues getting COVID-19.

Suncoast nurse and son quarantined after potentially being exposed to the Coronavirus

Not to mention this is in a town 20 minutes south of me.

Last edited:

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
On the other hand, though - these are the people who had so severe a case that they died. It doesn't mean that people with mild cases who recover have any permanent damage.
I mean... If you died, your autopsy will likely show the damage that killed you.

Agreed. No need to panic over this just yet. Even so, with that said, the fact that questions like this are even up for discussion alone really means that NOBODY should brush this off and want to get infected. What if it later comes out that it does indeed cause long term damage and/or is linked to other conditions etc. like viruses often are (see EBV etc.) so yeah, i'd rather be overly cautious and not catch this for now until we know more... Unfortunately that will take years and i doubt most people will be able to evade infection for that long :(

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week) :Ignoring the staff post in regards to fear mongering
An existential threat that brings world governments together is a pretty common theme in fiction. This might end up being a reality.

Or there could be a mad scramble in which powerful nations try to come up with a vaccine first in order to inoculate their militaries and go on the offensive against their weakened rivals.

Mar 3, 2019
Agreed. No need to panic over this just yet. Even so, with that said, the fact that questions like this are even up for discussion alone really means that NOBODY should brush this off and want to get infected. What if it later comes out that it does indeed cause long term damage and/or is linked to other conditions etc. like viruses often are (see EBV etc.) so yeah, i'd rather be overly cautious and not catch this for now until we know more... Unfortunately that will take years and i doubt most people will be able to evade infection for that long :(

Yeah we really need data on this once we get past the incubation period and remission period. Unfortunatelly, since its a virus, it can mutate at any time and change how we view it. Our best case scenario is that it mutates back into a more benign version.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
Yeah we really need data on this once we get past the incubation period and remission period. Unfortunatelly, since its a virus, it can mutate at any time and change how we view it. Our best case scenario is that it mutates back into a more benign version.

That's kind of sad to think about... that we are all now collectively at the mercy of fate being kind to us and having the virus become less dangerous... if it's the other way around, things are gonna quickly take a turn for the worse i fear.

Sage

Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Man getting virus updates over the mountain range loud speakers at schools here in Japan is some Resident Evil feeling stuff. They are not saying anything new or crazy though.
Even in JR it feels really bizarre because they have the (in Japanese) "Alcohol disinfectant and hand washing are the fundamentals of preventing Coronavirus transmission. We appreciate your co-operation." "Reducing crowding in stations and trains is proven effective at reducing wider coronavirus transmission. We appreciate your co-operation." etc warning message on a loop constantly - nothing out of the ordinary but the way it just keeps droning and repeating on without pause feels really dystopian.

Also finally Japan announcing 2 week quarantine for people from China and Korea. About a month late for China..

Sage

Oct 27, 2017
Japan
So the reason I'm posting this is it will be an interesting development to watch as the 17 year old who was possibly exposed has Cystic Fibrosis. CF is a terminal lung disease, I have it as well, so I am especially focused on it as could be the first case of a young person with underlying health issues, especially a lung issue, coming down with the virus and watching how it affects them as it could serve as a bell-weather for other young people who are affected by health issues getting COVID-19.

Suncoast nurse and son quarantined after potentially being exposed to the Coronavirus

Not to mention this is in a town 20 minutes south of me.
I know you probably didn't mean it but you might want to think about your wording? Someone with an underlying condition that could make this virus prove fatal will not be "an interesting development to watch," for some interesting data on how it affects others - even if true - it's firstly a person's life and a potential tragedy.

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
First case in my town now. Teenager who got sick after a ski-trip to Italy.

They are currently mapping his travels, transports, family, and contacts.

No time to panic yet though.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Also finally Japan announcing 2 week quarantine for people from China and Korea. About a month late for China..

It honestly blows my mind given how much criticism this administration got for Fukushima and more, they dragged their damn feet on another incident. Hell they even had a dang Godzilla movie made to criticize them!

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
Here In the Philippines, they are also very strict with the testing. For example: You need a travel history in China to be PUI and get tested

Majority of People here also self medicate, We don't go to hospital or clinics just because of Flu, cold, sore throat etc, we just buy over the counter medicines. And even shamed if you don't go to work because of a fever.
And because of that, The data regarding the number of infected is not accurate.

One of the posters in Ph Subreddit
Kagutsuji

I had my field work back in late January at NAIA Terminal 2. I went both inside the departures and arrivals area.
4 days later, I had the symptoms: mild fever, dry throat, and coughing.
I went to RITM in Alabang (where the testing kits are located) to get myself checked because I know I'm at risk.
Guess what? They didn't made me PUI. I was asked to removed myself from RITM because I didn't went to a country with confirmed cases of COVID/did not interact with a person confirmed with COVID. Hello, NAIA? Where million of people arrive and leave?

I may or may not be a carrier at that time, but I think everyone here can agree that I'm not an isolated case.

Then there is this news
A confirmed case, woman in her 60s who arrived back in Australia on March 3, is believed to have returned from the Philippines. Her travel details are being obtained and will be disclosed if she posed a risk to any other passengers on her flight.

This is a bit exaggerated, funny but real.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
322 new cases in South Korea now (12a - 4p, March 5), 6088 cases in total (41 deaths). Source

It was probably brought up in the thread already but it moves really fast. How come there's comparatively so little death in South Korea? Less than 1 percent when for example in Italy it stays above 3%? Do they count positives differently? Do they not count coronavirus deaths if a patient was infected but died for some other reason?

dryz

Oct 30, 2017
It was probably brought up in the thread already but it moves really fast. How come there's comparatively so little death in South Korea? Less than 1 percent when for example in Italy it stays above 3%? Do they count positives differently? Do they not count coronavirus deaths if a patient was infected but died for some other reason?

I think there is an assumption that there are two strains of the virus now. Korea got the weaker one and Italy stronger one.

Sage

Oct 27, 2017
Japan
I think there is an assumption that there are two strains of the virus now. Korea got the weaker one and Italy stronger one.
That's a maaaaasssssive assumption to make based on nothing.
More likely is that many of the cases in Italy are extremely mild so unreported considering it made itself to areas in the countryside with poor transport links without any clear patient zero. Second that it spread through communities of old / vulnerable people while in Korea it has been concentrated in a large city of young people.

ReactionShot

Oct 25, 2017

The types of viruses could be a factor. It is also worth noting that the outbreak in Korea is a little special in the sense that it starts within a church/cult (~310000 members). The South Korea government took initative and began testing all members in that church/cult aggressively even if some of the members show no symptoms. As a result they managed to catch many asymptomatic patients, which brings down the mortality rate. As a side note, the mortality rate in South Korea (~0.7%) is actually consistent with that (~0.8%) of mainland China (excluding Hubei, of course); though I do fear that it will keep rising as the hospitals in Daegu city (the epicenter of the outbreak) are already overrun (>2300 patients are now on the waitlist for admission).

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
From what I have seen, SK has extensive testing efforts. Much more so than any other country with maybe exception of China. It's possible that SK is detecting a lot milder cases whereas in other countries those are going undetected.