• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
The US will just let everyone without health insurance die to free up more beds for the affluent imo.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of the stocking up during this hasn't made sense. Why is TP selling out like mad? I've never seen that in any other stock-up situation.

Obviously people buying sanitizer makes sense, but the insane stocking up of it has been odd.

People are obviously planning to eat a shiton of Chef Boyardee and then wrap themselves up in TP and hibernate until the summer. It's the only logical conclusion.

Nov 5, 2017
I'm sure this virus has infected the entire US, we just can't confirm it because we don't have enough quantities of the testing equipment.

Once we do, don't be surprised to see cases across every state in the US (at least the continental US).

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
A picture of things in London and my town just north of it. Trains and the tube seem about as busy as usual, I didn't spot any face masks yet. Supermarkets still well stocked, a few people (including myself) clearly adding a few extra tinned goods etc to their shopping to build a supply. Hand sanitiser and cold + flu relief tablets (combination of paracetamol, caffeine and phenylephrine hydrochloride) completely sold out in multiple places.

Everyone at work is talking about it but no real sense of alarm, people seem to accept it's coming and are resigned to potentially catching it. We've had a company wide email about taking precautions if we've come back from an affected area and to generally stay at home if we feel ill.

51 cases so far in the UK but no deaths.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly I hope it isn't on the hundreds as this virus has an R naught over 2 I just heard on an NPR. So spreads roughly 2x as much as a typical flu strain Unless those hundreds of cases have been under very heavy surveillance and their contacts also are being monitored and contained you're in the thousands of cases pretty quickly.
r0 is not constant, it depends on the conditions on the ground and the goal here is to lower it, which can be done.
Also, latest estimate from the WHO is that it's transmitted less efficiently than seasonal flu, but I don't think anyone knows for sure yet.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
The hoarding toilet paper is completely unnecessary unless you're planning on isolating yourself until the vaccine is ready

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
r0 is not constant, it depends on the conditions on the ground and the goal here is to lower it, which can be done.
Also, latest estimate from the WHO is that it's transmitted less efficiently than seasonal flu, but I don't think anyone knows for sure yet.

Huh, well whoever NPR just had on didn't know his shit I guess.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This fits with the "I'd be working through it if I didn't know it was CV" symptoms mentioned by the one guy who was on the cruise ship.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
What is the total deaths at the Washington nursing home?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This fits with the "I'd be working through it if I didn't know it was CV" symptoms mentioned by the one guy who was on the cruise ship.
I think the biggest question no one has a definitive answer for just yet is just how infectious people are when they are asymptomatic or have mild symptoms.
What is the total deaths at the Washington nursing home?
Edit: no I was wrong, it is 5.

Accident

Oct 28, 2017

The seven new cases are in:
  • A female in her 40s, worked at LifeCare, never hospitalized and is recovering at home
  • A female in her 60s, family member of a confirmed case of COVID-19, not hospitalized
  • A male in his 70s, a frequent visitor of LifeCare, hospitalization status unknown currently
  • A male in his 20s, unknown exposure, hospitalized at Swedish Issaquah
  • A male in his 20s, unknown exposure, hospitalized at Swedish Issaquah
  • A female in her 80s, resident of LifeCare, never hospitalized, died at her family home on 2/26/20
  • A male in his 50s, resident of LifeCare, hospitalized at Harborview Medical Center and died on 2/26/20
14 other cases, already reported earlier by Public Health, include:

• A male in his 50s, hospitalized at Highline Hospital. No known exposures. He is in stable but critical condition. He had no underlying health conditions.
  • A male in his 70s, a resident of LifeCare, hospitalized at EvergreenHealth in Kirkland. The man had underlying health conditions, and died 3/1/20
  • A female in her 70s, a resident of LifeCare, hospitalized at EvergreenHealth in Kirkland. The woman had underlying health conditions, and died 3/1/20
  • A female in her 80s, a resident of LifeCare, was hospitalized at EvergreenHealth. She is in critical condition.
  • A female in her 80s, hospitalized at EvergreenHealth in Kirkland. This person died on 3/1/20.
  • A female in her 90s, hospitalized at EvergreenHealth in Kirkland. The woman has underlying health conditions, and is in critical condition
  • A male in his 70s, hospitalized at EvergreenHealth in Kirkland. The man has underlying health conditions, and is in critical condition
  • A male in his 70s was hospitalized at EvergreenHealth. He had underlying health conditions and died on 2/29/20.
  • A man in his 60s, hospitalized at Valley Medical Center in Renton.
  • A man in 60s, hospitalized at Virginia Mason Medical Center.
  • A woman in her 50s, who had traveled to South Korea; recovering at home
  • A woman in her 70s, who was a resident of LifeCare in Kirkland, hospitalized at EvergreenHealth and died on 3/2/20
  • A woman in her 40s, employed by LifeCare, who is hospitalized at Overlake Medical Center
  • A man in his 50s, who was hospitalized and died 2/28/20 at EvergreenHealth

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
So why aren't we hearing about panicked food/water buying?

I have like 4 cases of water plus a water filter for my tap as emergency (i hate my tap water taste, I miss my well water!)

Plus i just picked up some baller ramen and some japanese soup packets. You dump them into the cup and add boiling water....first one i had was like cream of corn chowder....was pretty delicious.

I need to stop today to get some basic stuff though, probably a thing of lysol, antimicrobial hand sanitizer, some detergent and garbage bags. Only food i don't think i have stocked is like canned vegetables, maybe grab a few and i should be set to stay away from anything not a gas pump

Although i don't have a mask or anything like that.