• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
As someone with two small kids who will likely catch it at some point (can only teach them limited hygene) and a country that doesn't seem to take it seriously at all, I'm worried. For my whole family. This is so concerning.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, I get the joke and all, but you actually should really hope that nobody visible in leadership gets it because the panic will go off the charts if that happens. Nobody should want that.

wat. several others countries leadership or other important people already got it. not the end of the world lol

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I have a cruise planned for next year, and we just got this email from Viking:

Really, really flexible and fantastic to see. Being able to cancel our cruise 24 hours before our departure and get a full refund (in form of a voucher) is nuts.

uh next year, i hope situation improved enough.

Meaning they will probably roll back their policy.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Damn.

Hmm, one of my students was just talking about her grandparents (who live with her family) returning from Italy tomorrow. They apparently went for a festival but it was cancelled. It sorta freaks me out. Not only for them, because they're older, but what procedures they have in place for people returning from Italy.

I just see far too many situations where people returning from overseas travel in these hot spots acting completely irrational and exposing others to the virus.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
User Banned (3 Days): Ignoring Staff Post with Regards to Conspiracy Theories
The WHO is sending way too many mixed messages. That's a sure sign that they're politically compromised.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
wat. several others countries leadership or other important people already got it. not the end of the world lol

I'm talking about in America. You legit think that if what is happening to the leadership in Iran were happening in the United States, the public would just go along as they're currently going?

Anyway, it's stupid to get into an argument about whether its good or bad for the virus to spread through the White House. I disagree with those who think it would be good and create a much needed "shake up" or whatever, I'll just leave it at that.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wait, what? This had a higher r0 than influenza for the longest time, what happened? Since when that changed?
r0 heavily depends on the conditions on the ground and it's not constant.
Also, it is very hard to estimate in the early stages of an outbreak, it's not super easy to do it later even, I suspect the estimates will keep moving too.

Right so you tell people to not do travel bans and not overreact and now everyone isn't doing enough

Just because the WHO is not recommending that steps you think are necessary, it doesn't mean they tell countries to do nothing or that they're doing enough right now.

Oct 25, 2017
We literally had someone come back from northern Italy who just assumed they had gotten a cold. END OF FEBRUARY.

One of the cases here, was a doctor who went to a conference and asked her boss at the damn hospital, if they should get tested and the boss said no. Guess what, 3 days later they did get tested and it was corona virus.. At the hospital !

FunkyPajamas

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
As someone with two small kids who will likely catch it at some point (can only teach them limited hygene) and a country that doesn't seem to take it seriously at all, I'm worried. For my whole family. This is so concerning.

If it brings any comfort, children seem to be extremely resistant to this. Even newborn. There have been 0 deaths of people under age 10, and very few infections.

It has not been confirmed if kids under 10 can be carriers or not.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
r0 heavily depends on the conditions on the ground and it's not constant.
Also, it is very hard to estimate in the early stages of an outbreak, it's not super easy to do it later even, I suspect the estimates will keep moving too.

Just because the WHO is not recommending that steps you think are necessary, it doesn't mean they tell countries to do nothing or that they're doing enough right now.
The WHO is sending too many mixed messages. If they believe it should be contained they should be sending clear guidelines of how to contain it.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The WHO is sending too many mixed messages. If they believe it should be contained they should be sending clear guidelines of how to contain it.
I don't think that they're sending mixed messages at all.
The US government don't agree with everything they're saying, as are some of the posters in this thread, but that's doesn't mean they don't have a rather clear and well articulate position on this issue.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
What specifically do you mean? I'm reading their latest update (https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/det...the-media-briefing-on-covid-19---3-march-2020) and it doesn't seem out of line to what I was expecting. Did they say anything in the video that raised red flags?

They've alternated between raising the alarm and downplaying the severity a lot. They haven't been consistent. Some of that is understandable because this is a new virus and it takes time to study and fully develop effective countermeasures. But I get annoyed when educated professionals attempt to censor themselves. Just state the facts as they're developing and advise on best practices. Do not kowtow to cowardly politicians that want to distort the facts on the ground.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
The US government don't agree with everything they're saying, as are some of the posters in this thread, but that's doesn't mean they don't have a rather clear and well articulate position on this issue.
Then what are they and how are countries not following them?

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how it helps at all, but starting this week, one person from my team will be WFH every day on rotation. Kind of a weird rule to implement.

Corona Russian roulette.

Wait, what? This had a higher r0 than influenza for the longest time, what happened? Since when that changed?

I think they talk only about the period before the symptoms appear. Still, we saw time and time again in different countries how new cases pop up very quickly after the first one appear, so I'm not fully convinced about that.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Too late to cancel shipped this morning. Only realised my mistake when seen the weight in dispatch notice.

welp here comes 32 litres of hand sanitizer

25-F4-EA04-8-B28-4907-B240-0498-FE2-EEF1-E.jpg
dude.... really? Charge your phone.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They are though. If the position is rather clear, what is it? Contain if the number of cases is small, mitigate if the number is high?

And that's not even mentioning the "cluster of epidemics", which they refuse to name a pandemic.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Then what are they and how are countries not following them?
The WHO doesn't take over a country healthcare system, their job is to coordinate between countries and provide international expertise and learned best practice on global healthcare issues, which I think they have done here.
For real, what do you think the mix message is here? the fact that they don't recommend travel bans?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They are though. If the position is rather clear, what is it? Contain if the number of cases is small, mitigate if the number is high?

And that's not even mentioning the "cluster of epidemics", which they refuse to name a pandemic.
Politically compromised by who and for what end?
Crash the US stock market?
What are we talking about here?

America is undermining the credibility of a really important healthcare organization here, and I think that's a huge huge mistake.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Macron has decided to confiscate all mouth masks in France for use by healthcare workers.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Politically compromised by who and for what end?
Crash the US stock market?
What are we talking about here?

America is undermining the credibility of a really important healthcare organization here, and I think that's a huge huge mistake.

I'm not talking about america, you added more to your post and it fucked up the original quote from your original post which was "I don't think they are sending a mixed message here."

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
DHS facility closed for two weeks south of Seattle:

SEATTLE - A Department of Homeland Security facility in King County has closed down due to concerns that an employee there may be infected with coronavirus.

Acting Homeland Security Secretary Chad F. Wolf said the facility will remain closed for the next 14 days "out of an abundance of caution" and employees there will self-quarantine during that period.

While in quarantine, employees will telework, if possible, to reduce the threat of community spread of coronavirus.

Wolf said the decision to close was made because an employee had visited a family member at the Life Care Facility in Kirkland before it was known that the facility was impacted by the coronavirus outbreak.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
One of the supply store I went to said they have mask restocked - $75 for 50.

I bought some 2 months ago for $7 each from them.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not talking about america, you added more to your post and it fucked up the original quote from your original post which was "I don't think they are sending a mixed message here."
What is the mixed message?
I don't know, I get that you disagree with the WHO recommendations and plan of action, personally, as someone who is not an epidemiologist or a virologist or any healthcare professional, I don't have a take on it, I get that you do (though I'm not sure what it is specifically) but that doesn't make their message "mixed".

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
The WHO doesn't take over a country healthcare system, their job is to coordinate between countries and provide international expertise and learned best practice on global healthcare issues, which I think they have done here.
For real, what do you think the mix message is here? the fact that they don't recommend travel bans?
It's pretty simple. They praised China's response (which did end up working) while claiming things about not doing travel bans and extreme quarantines. The thing is China has an extreme quarantine. If that is the model that everyone should be following then they should come out and recommend it.

Also if countries are "giving up" then they should make it clear on what people are doing wrong.

Playing some political game of trying to appease the entire world runs counter to what they should be doing.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Daily update from Italy:
- 2263 sick people (+428)
- 79 deaths (+27)
- 160 recovered (+10)
Total= 2502 (+466)

Other statistics and info:
- around 1000 positive people are quarantined at home, not in hospital
- 1034 are hospitalized
- 229 in ICU (10% of the positive cases)
- the youngest person died today is 55 years old
Many positive cases are around Bergamo, I feel that there is the possibility that some cities in that zone will be put under quarantine.

I don't think these stats are positive at all, for the moment. The virus is spreading, only at the end of the week we will see if the countermeasures had some effects,

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Two new cases in Toronto, Canada.

toronto.ctvnews.ca

Ontario confirms two new cases of COVID-19, total rises to 20

Ontario has two more confirmed cases of COVID-19, bringing the province’s total including recoveries to 20, with a further 45 people under investigation.

The two latest cases are in GTA residents who had recent travel histories to Iran and Egypt and both have been placed into self-isolation.

Also info on the 20 confirmed cases in Ontario:

toronto.ctvnews.ca

Tracking COVID-19 in Ontario

CTV News Toronto stopped updating the daily COVID-19 breakdown on March 30, 2022.

Wolfapo

Dec 27, 2017
It's pretty simple. They praised China's response (which did end up working) while claiming things about not doing travel bans and extreme quarantines. The thing is China has an extreme quarantine. If that is the model that everyone should be following then they should come out and recommend it.

Also if countries are "giving up" then they should make it clear on what people are doing wrong.

Playing some political game of trying to appease the entire world runs counter to what they should be doing.
China was an extreme case since the virus spread quickly and unknowingly.
As long as you know who is infected and can trace it without issues, it's easy to contain and no travel bans or quarantined cities are needed.

Containing does not mean full lock down like China did.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
yea if anyone tells you this is the flu- show them the stats from Italy.
Since the start of flu season in October 2019, 2,768,000 cases across the country have been confirmed by laboratory tests, according to data from InfluNet published on January 19.
A total of 488,000 cases were reported last week alone, signalling that flu season is hitting its peak in January as predicted.

240 deaths have so far been reported, slightly lower than the expected 258. Most of the fatal cases are elderly patients who suffered complications after contracting the virus.

Maybe not the best argument.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

So your problem is that they said China's measure were working and that they were right?
They said what Singapore is doing is working as well.

They are not telling other countries to replicate what another country is doing, in fact, they specifically not saying that.

I still don't see the mixed messages, nor do I think it's has been captured by eViL CoMmUnIsTs or whatever. It's an UN body that had some pretty impressive achievements in disease eradication and containment. Like all UN bodies it get mixed with UN crap, but it's mostly just doctors and medical researchers trying to stop diseases.

The right wing in the US has a massive hate boner for the UN and it uses every chance they have to try to undermine it (they did the exact same thing during ebola by the way) and I think it's a really bad idea.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Spent a bit of time in the hospital today in the UK. Seems they're starting to take things seriously (regular sanitisation, more hand sanitiser, more notices), but I think there's still a bunch that could be done (more notices in toilets and restaurants) and the doctors should probably stop shaking people's hands!

OG YOLOwen

Banned
Mar 24, 2019
Okay, so I'm visiting my brother in Prague this Friday with my family. He came back from a trip to Italy before Italy became the new epicenter. It's been about ten days since he's returned. His been self quarantined from his internship, and his friend who he visited in Italy has since been recalled from his study abroad trip.

Is it safe to assume my brother doesn't have Covid? It will have been two weeks since he came back from Italy come Sunday.

Side note: my mom is really frustrating with this whole thing. She's a sort of "lite" anti vaxxer and thinks this whole thing is based in fear. She agrees that the best way to combat Covid is to stay healthy (drink water, good sleep, exercise, cleanliness) but it seems she doesn't fully grasp the situation.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
So your problem is that they said China's measure were working and that they were right?
They said what Singapore is doing is working as well.

They are not telling other countries to replicate what another country is doing, in fact, they specifically not saying that.

I still don't see the mixed messages, nor do I think it's has been captured by eViL CoMmUnIsTs or whatever. It's an UN body that had some pretty impressive achievements in disease eradication and containment. Like all UN bodies it get mixed with UN crap, but it's mostly just doctors and medical researchers trying to stop diseases.

The right wing in the US has a massive hate boner for the UN and it uses every chance they have to try to undermine it (they did the exact same thing during ebola by the way) and I think it's a really bad idea.
Honestly I have no idea what your rambling on about. This has nothing to do with the United States or right wing media. If the United states is doing a shit job then the WHO should be calling them out. That was my point. Your making this into something that it's not.

OP
OP
wandering

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017

China, as the presumed ground zero of the disease, has needs distinct from other countries, and its measures aren't something that can be replicated by most non-autocratic countries. It doesn't take a political conspiracy to realize that the WHO can't suggest that democratic countries physically bar their citizens from leaving their homes.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly I have no idea what your rambling on about. This has nothing to do with the United States or right wing media. If the United states is doing a shit job then the WHO should be calling them out. That was my point. Your making this into something that it's not.
You are still not telling what the mix messages are and how are they politically compromise and for what end.

I am also trying talking about what I think is a slightly more important issue than the fact that posters on a videogame forums are certain they know better than the world health organization what is the best way to combat an infectious disease - the fact that parts of the US government and US media decided that now is a great time to pick a fight with the WHO, but if it bother you, I can drop it.