• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
So for the people who have had optics on this for a bit, would it still be a good idea to travel to Europe next week?

I'm staying mainly in Budapest, Prague, and Germany for two weeks, but been getting a lot of people telling me it's not a good idea since I can get stuck overseas and fail my last semester of college.

I'm aware the situation is always changing but I feel that I should be fine unless there's a gross expansion of the virus in that time.

Also aware that the least of peoples concerns about the virus revolve around some students vacation, but can't help but ask.

Just be careful. Avoid hands to the face. Wash your hands when you can.

edit: How would you be stuck overseas?

OG YOLOwen

Banned
Mar 24, 2019
So for the people who have had optics on this for a bit, would it still be a good idea to travel to Europe next week?

I'm staying mainly in Budapest, Prague, and Germany for two weeks, but been getting a lot of people telling me it's not a good idea since I can get stuck overseas and fail my last semester of college.

I'm aware the situation is always changing but I feel that I should be fine unless there's a gross expansion of the virus in that time.

Also aware that the least of peoples concerns about the virus revolve around some students vacation, but can't help but ask.
For what it's worth, I'm still going with my family to Prague this Friday for ten days.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

If you caught (or suspected) the virus while traveling overseas, you might get quarantined in a hospital for 2 weeks over there. Or even if you can go back, you'll be quarantined right after you landed. Some, if not most, governments are practicing that kind of measurement, more or less.

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017

Some people are saying that they might close airports if the area gets a widespread infection. Have NO CLUE if that would happen, I mean aren't the airports in China still open?

I know my school recalled all international students/faculty in Italy, Japan, China etc. And advising them to stay off campus for 14 days. So my most realistic obstacle would be if It became more widespread in Central Europe, the school may want me to stay away for a few weeks when I come back. Most of these are fears I had til I wrote them down and realized Im probably overreacting.

Last edited:

ahoyle

Feb 16, 2018
Well, finally talked to my sister who lectures and runs a part of student health at a major US university. She told me she thinks this virus will be the major story of our lifetime. Scary stuff.

Good news is my cruise in two weeks has banned all people traveling from any of the majorly affected areas within 2 weeks of the cruise. So she agreed its probably not that much worse than anywhere else (short of self quarantine).

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just back from Wal-Mart. It wasn't difficult to find anything outside of hand sanitizer. Those were all gone. Not much handsoap left either, just individual containers. I bought bunches of everything. Cereal, milk, canned goods, toilet paper, paper towels, etc. I definitely tried to stay away from people as much as possible and used hand sanitizer as soon as I got back to the car, then handwashing a bunch at home.

While in the store I got an email notifying me a conference I'd planned to attend in Seattle in April has now been converted to an online-only event. They just had too many cancellations from international visitors.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Well, finally talked to my sister who lectures and runs a part of student health at a major US university. She told me she thinks this virus will be the major story of our lifetime. Scary stuff.

I doubt it. Climate change will be the major story we all look back on (and there are many other major issues that dwarf this one IMO). Things could change though.

Invictus

Oct 25, 2017
Why haven't we heard anything from African countrys? Are there really no cases there yet or is there just so little testing going on there no one knows?

less

Oct 25, 2017
Why haven't we heard anything from African countrys? Are there really no cases there yet or is there just so little testing going on there no one knows?

I imagine that it has a lot of do with a lack of testing for a number of the countries but it is very possible that some of the countries just haven't seen any cases yet.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

This article was posted yesterday and health officials are kinda baffled at the lack of cases

To date, only three cases of infection have been officially recorded in Africa, one in Egypt, one in Algeria and one in Nigeria, with no deaths.

This is a remarkably small number for a continent with nearly 1.3 billion inhabitants, and barely a drop in the ocean of more than 86,000 cases and nearly 3,000 deaths recorded in some 60 countries worldwide.

As to why the epidemic is not more widespread in the continent, "nobody knows", said Professor Thumbi Ndung'u, from the African Institute for Health Research in Durban, South Africa. "Perhaps there is simply not that much travel between Africa and China."

But Ethiopian Airlines, the largest African airline, never suspended its flights to China since the epidemic began, and China Southern on Wednesday resumed its flights to Kenya. And, of course, people carrying coronavirus could enter the country from any of the other 60-odd countries with known cases.

www.france24.com

With only three official cases, Africa's low coronavirus rate puzzles health experts

Whether it's a matter of faulty detection, climatic factors or simple fluke, the remarkably low rate of coronavirus infection in African countries, with their fragile health systems, continues to puzzle…

powersurge

Nov 2, 2017
Pensacola, FL
Ugh terrified of this stuff. Seasonal flu is bad enough but I've got asthma, mother has Sarcoidosis, and uncle with COPD not to mention both of them work in retail argh!

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in Charlotte, and I'm bracing myself for when it'll show up here.
Yea, I'm surprised how calm it has been here so far. I bring it up with people every once in awhile just to gauge how crazy the response WILL be once it officially arrives, and it seems people are either just listening to whatever Trump says or they aren't worried overall. Good for me because im gonna do some food shopping early tomorrow morning...lol.

Buying all the canned goods fuck everybody else!

Compass

alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Surprised nothing yet from NYC, considering the public transportation and airports

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
I have no faith in America to get through this without it being a massive mess. I don't even trust people to go to the doctor, because no one wants to pay those high prices...

I've been pretty stressed because I work at a major theme park here in Florida and feel like it's inevitable when these parks won't dare close until half the employees are sick or something. Even if I could survive easily by being young or whatever, I'm terrified of getting it and spreading it to my mom, dad, grandmother and other family members.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I have no faith in America to get through this without it being a massive mess. I don't even trust people to go to the doctor, because no one wants to pay those high prices...

I've been pretty stressed because I work at a major theme park here in Florida and feel like it's inevitable when these parks won't dare close until half the employees are sick or something. Even if I could survive easily by being young or whatever, I'm terrified of getting it and spreading it to my mom, dad, grandmother and other family members.

I can't wait for the 'too tough to stay home' assholes at the office make everyone sick and guilt people into not working from home while sick.

ReactionShot

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised nothing yet from NYC, considering the public transportation and airports

Yeah. But apparently they only tested 32 people so far and the one case with the positive result is quarantined at her home in Manhattan rather than in a hospital, so I would not be surprised if things go the other way all of a sudden.

CNBC

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Yea, I'm surprised how calm it has been here so far. I bring it up with people every once in awhile just to gauge how crazy the response WILL be once it officially arrives, and it seems people are either just listening to whatever Trump says or they aren't worried overall. Good for me because im gonna do some food shopping early tomorrow morning...lol.

Buying all the canned goods fuck everybody else!

The King county health officials said if your not one of the at risk groups, take your precautions and go about your day (personal hygiene, cover cough, if you feel sick stay home etc). Don't think people should be running around like the world is going to end (unless you are a at risk group, then take more precautions)

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm going to keep investigating options, but I do feel like I'm fucked on my Italy trip. To add to this, this is my second trip scheduling. We had to cancel our original October trip (where we lost money) since my mother went into cardiac arrest the day after our wedding (luckily somehow survived after weeks in the hospital).

We bought the comprehensive insurance this go around, but it seems to not count with an epidemic. The universe does not want me to go on my fucking honeymoon. I'm so tired. This isn't the way to start my first handful of months of marriage.
it'll be an interesting story to tell your kids one day.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
www.businessinsider.com

An American who was quarantined to check for signs of coronavirus says he's facing more than $2,600 in bills from his government-mandated hospital stay

Frank Wucinski and his 3-year-old daughter Annabel evacuated Wuhan, China, in February and were then quarantined at Marine Corps Station Miramar, near San Diego, for two weeks.

This, along with no mandatory sick days, makes me think that it will be difficult for American to contain this. Possibly the greatest healthcare in the world but nobody can afford it.

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
By the time people at your office start showing symptoms, the infected may already have infected many others, since COVID can possibly spread asymptomatically.
This is disputed:
www.straitstimes.com

No proof of asymptomatic transmission of coronavirus: NCID

"Environmental contamination or exposure to other infected persons cannot be excluded," said Dr Shawn Vasoo, clinical director of NCID. Read more at straitstimes.com.

Even if it turns out to be the case, it's not clear how frequent this kind of spread is. See https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...na-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf

Asymptomatic infection has been reported, but the majority of the relatively rare cases who are asymptomatic on the date of identification/report went on to develop disease. The proportion of truly asymptomatic infections is unclear but appears to be relatively rare and does not appear to be a major driver of transmission.

someday

Oct 25, 2017
Is this an instruction from the CDC/WHO? I feel like this isn't the crux of the issue - get to OR talk to a doctor if you are at risk of being exposed and have symptoms. Waiting a week is not good and going about your business is not ideal.
I received an email from my representative (I live in the Seattle/Tacoma area) and it said if we felt sick, we should call our doctor's office before going in or before going to an ER.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I received an email from my representative (I live in the Seattle/Tacoma area) and it said if we felt sick, we should call our doctor's office before going in or before going to an ER.

80 health practioners at a kaiser permanente in Oregon clinic are quarantined because they had contact with a corona virus patient, so that advice makes sense

www.oregonlive.com

Oregon coronavirus quarantines ‘dozens’ of Hillsboro hospital staff

The first person to come down with the coronavirus sought help at the Kaiser Permanente Westside medical clinic Friday. Today, dozens of employees of that clinic have been placed on furlough after it was determined they had had unprotected contact with the sick man.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Desperate CDC Director Walks Down Hall Of Imprisoned Diseases For One-On-One Talk With Avian Flu About Stopping Coronavirus
www.theonion.com

Desperate CDC Director Walks Down Hall Of Imprisoned Diseases For One-On-One Talk With Avian Flu About Stopping Coronavirus

ATLANTA—In an attempt to stay one step ahead of the dangerous new outbreak, Centers for Disease Control Director Robert Redfield reportedly walked down the hallway of a secure facility that houses captive diseases Friday in order to consult with avian influenza about how to stop the deadly...

OP
OP
wandering

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Is this an instruction from the CDC/WHO? I feel like this isn't the crux of the issue - get to OR talk to a doctor if you are at risk of being exposed and have symptoms. Waiting a week is not good and going about your business is not ideal.

the CDC recommends calling ahead before seeking medical treatment so that steps to limit exposure can be prepared.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Saw a post from an employee at Costco and he mentioned that someone stole 2 cases of water out of a hearing customer's cart in his hearing department.

Make the general public a little paranoid and people turn into 'f you, got mine'

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the CDC recommends calling ahead before seeking medical treatment so that steps to limit exposure can be prepared.
It is crazy to me that the US don't seem to have dedicated fever clinics/wards where people with flu like symptoms go to get tested and treated, and instead, we're letting what is and isn't in people's network drive those decisions.
Edit: and of course, that's before we get to the uninsured.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Are masks any good? I've seen a few folks in nyc wearing the 3m n95
Most masks are laughably useless. The n95 is good for 8 hours of use in industrial applications.

Face masks with your breath and added moisture actually end up being magnets for pathogens, unless you're changing them out multiple times a day, you can often be better off not wearing one at all. What they are good for is protecting others from you, if you are contagious.

OP
OP
wandering

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Are masks any good? I've seen a few folks in nyc wearing the 3m n95

Currently the public health consensus seems to be that masks aren't necessary for healthy individuals unless you're taking care of someone with a suspected infection. In fact, some medical professionals are advocating against the use of masks unless you're already sick, as improper use of them can increase your chances of infection due to more contact between the hands and face.

If you don't already have COVID-19 or aren't a health worker, you shouldn't really be stocking up on masks. There's a shortage.