• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Sadly it's not too surprising to hear in basically any country. Humans never take capacity planning seriously, if you build hospitals with 20% more capacity than they need, that just gets eaten into over the years and the 20% buffer is never restored. Because £££ essentially.

Hospitals in the UK are beyond capacity already and understaffed as we have a nurse shortage. I hear similar from someone here who talked about France I think.
Yeah will be interesting if the UK government forces private hospitals to release beds and resources to deal with the situation if things really go off the charts. I'd imagine nothing is out of the question in that situation as it would basically be wartime measures. Even talks of newly retired doctors being brought back yesterday. Let's hope the containment strategy stops it getting that far.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
There is something really weird with this virus if it was just like cold... Mortality is raising... 6 people in Washington...

Countries doing quarantine. no one would do that if it was like cold...

There is something really wrong.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
I'm taking Methotrexate for my eczema. I'm really wondering if I should stop for the duration of this, or what.

Talk to your doctor. I am also on immunosuppressants, and I not changing anything until I talk to my rheumatologist on the 10th. We just have to stress to our friends and family that they HAVE to help us out here and wash their fucking hands

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
There is something really weird with this virus if it was just like cold... Mortality is raising... 6 people in Washington...

It's not like the common cold or the flu, and people have been saying so for a while. That being said, a lot of the response is due to this being an unknown disease that we are still learning about, and since it's the first time everyone is coming into contact with it it's taxing the medical infrastructure greatly. If it was a slower rollout, it would be much less severe, which is why containment measures are being applied, to slow down the spread enough to give the medical system time to learn and work through the sick.

The mortality is not rising. The amount of people who die is, but not the ratio. In the case of WA, it's a combination of Trump's government's incompetence in responding to the disease and it hitting a nursing home which has the demographic group that is most at risk for the disease.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico

This is not just a cold. It's a virus that is much more deadly than the flu. Of course a lot of people are dying and getting sick. Please follow the thread for more information.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah will be interesting if the UK government forces private hospitals to release beds and resources to deal with the situation if things really go off the charts. I'd imagine nothing is out of the question in that situation as it would basically be wartime measures. Even talks of newly retired doctors being brought back yesterday. Let's hope the containment strategy stops it getting that far.

Most private hospitals are not going to have intensive care though and I guess what will be needed would be for those seriously ill.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Talk to your doctor. I am also on immunosuppressants, and I not changing anything until I talk to my rheumatologist on the 10th. We just have to stress to our friends and family that they HAVE to help us out here and wash their fucking hands

Yeah, I think I'm gonna link up with her ASAP. Too many morons out there coughing with their mouth open or not washing their hands. All this has made me painfully aware of it.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018

wtf are you on about?

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017

This isn't Resident Evil. Calm down. It's 6 people because it spread in a nursing home. Literally the most vulnerable people.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017

Honestly don't see any scenario in which Boris asks a private anything to help out.

SpeedyBlueDude

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Provo, Utah
Anyone have the percentage of mortality rate based on Age Group? Both my Parents are significantly on the older side (70, 63), and I'm starting to get a little worried. It'd make me feel better if I remember the how low the number really is.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Afaik everybody with "no symptoms" shows symptoms eventually. They just hadnt started showng symptoms yet when they tested positive, because you can have the virus up to 2-3 weeks before showing symptoms.

Right, that could be true, I remember seeing that somewhere as well. But then they can be mild enough that you don't even really know you have it, correct?

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

"Cold" refers to symptoms and severity of a disease, not the cause. A variety of different virus types can cause colds.

If you look at the people who died in Seattle, they're mostly elderly. This is a consistent pattern we've been seeing; the symptoms are much worse for old people.

In general, the novel Coronavirus strain should be taken very seriously.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have the percentage of mortality rate based on Age Group? Both my Parents are significantly on the older side (70, 63), and I'm starting to get a little worried. It'd make me feel better if I remember the how low the number really is.

www.worldometers.info

Coronavirus Age, Sex, Demographics (COVID-19) - Worldometer

Age, sex, demographic characteristics such as pre-existing conditions, of coronavirus cases of patients infected with COVID-19 and deaths, as observed in studies on the virus outbreak originating from Wuhan, China

Scroll down

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017

2fd537d0d8d5bab5eb302eaceae90aaf_by_edmonddantes9285_ddrm4ej-pre.jpg

_111074816_death_ratio-nc.png

50d5ee3a-2e84-4abb-a730-b67efa54d4e2

Keep in mind that these are now a couple of weeks old and things have progressed.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Japan has tested a grand total of 2517 people in two months. South Korea and Italy are doing more than that in a single day. What a fucking joke. "If we don't test people, they don't have coronavirus, and we can still do the Olympics!!!!1"

Source: Top of this page:
www.japantimes.co.jp

The Japan Times

News on Japan, Business News, Opinion, Sports, Entertainment and More static page

offtopic

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
So working here and sort of paying attention to the presser in the background - I've heard talking heads say a couple of times that "risk is low". Have they defined what the means? Has anyone asked them to be specific about that? Is there some internationally accepted standard for "low risk"?

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Japan has tested a grand total of 2517 people in two months. South Korea and Italy are doing more than that in a single day. What a fucking joke. "If we don't test people, they don't have coronavirus, and we can still do the Olympics!!!!1"

Source: Top of this page:
www.japantimes.co.jp

The Japan Times

News on Japan, Business News, Opinion, Sports, Entertainment and More static page

That's still more than 5 times what the USA has done

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Just saw a shocking interview with Scottie Nell Hughes on Newsnight here in the UK, obviously supporting and defending the nonsense coming out of the Trump administration. The ignorance/denial on display is nothing short of scary. Does Trump think he can combat this virus with a war of words just like he tries to combat everything else?

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
This isn't true. You can definitely be positive and not show symptoms

just putting in the links

www.nytimes.com

They Were Infected With the Coronavirus. They Never Showed Signs. (Published 2020)

Even asymptomatic people who are infected may be able to spread the virus. But people without symptoms are rarely tested.

www.sciencealert.com

A Person Can Carry And Transmit COVID-19 Without Showing Symptoms, Scientists Confirm

Chinese researchers have confirmed a case of asymptomatic transmission of the new coronavirus: A 20-year-old woman from Wuhan passed it to five of her family members but never got physically sick herself.

Merino

Oct 26, 2017
Someone infected in my city. Known connection with another patient but no other information which other patient that is and any travel history.

Feel like it's just going to be matter of time now that it is spreading locally here.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Sadly it's not too surprising to hear in basically any country. Humans never take capacity planning seriously, if you build hospitals with 20% more capacity than they need, that just gets eaten into over the years and the 20% buffer is never restored. Because £££ essentially.

Hospitals in the UK are beyond capacity already and understaffed as we have a nurse shortage. I hear similar from someone here who talked about France I think.

Building hospitals with 20% overcapacity sounds like extremely poor planning if it only needs that capacity once every 100 years.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like following the news for this is kinda wearying. Might stop for a bit.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
I feel like following the news for this is kinda wearying. Might stop for a bit.

I wish i could do that but my job involves having contact with dozens/hundreds of passengers every day and also i have a booked trip to Italy in June which makes me anxious about this whole thing :(