• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kirie

Oct 25, 2017
I think it is ridiculous that schools are left open. They are waiting before it gets worse. But if we don't take preventative measures that is just an eventuality.
It's absurd. I was sitting near a nursing student today on campus who was talking shit about the whole thing to her friend loudly (spouting off the whole flu killing more people, etc) because she was pissed off that her work wouldn't let her go in sick...she was coughing and sneezing. Yet she was still going to class anyways

I feel kind of defeated that so many people are willing to downplay this when there are those of us with autoimmune diseases and other disorders who are high risk and could be directly affected by it

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
No but is likely seasonal like most viruses. Warm weather and sunlight should hopefully halt the spread, like flu.

Good to know actually. Thanks :D
My dad let me know he was going to the doc today with a bad sore throat. Last week had to take his dog to the vet due to the dog vomitting. Is the dog thing another sign?

I saw a thing that a dog has contracted it so I'm worried that it could be, but i'm no expert I'd trust anybody else in the thread over me tbh.

Oof. I'd get him checked asap. My girlfriend cane back from Japan and is now sick but didn't show symptoms for about 30 days. Thankfully that was long enough to not be at risk.

He was at the doc for a physical last week and he said she "cleared him" and he's a stubborn old dick so good luck getting him to do anything.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My grandmother told me to buy the silver solution from amazon. I was going to tell her off but she is in her 90s. So pissed off that she believes in that fake crap from Jim Bakker.

28669268-289f-4b0f-b89kvh.jpeg

LTWood

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like there's probably far more cases in the US than have been confirmed due to all the testing fuckery. Hope our supply of care in the US can meet demand.

pvin626

Nov 16, 2017
So I have tripped book to Washington 3/13-3/18 at JBLM to be exact. I was planning on doing things around the area. Even though the 6 victims were all over the age of 50. Should I still be good, just take more precaution?

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like there's probably far more cases in the US than have been confirmed due to all the testing fuckery. Hope our supply of care in the US can meet demand.
Our healthcare is not equipped for this, never mind the sheer amount of incompetence in how the situation is being handled, shit is going to get bad.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Looking at the public health twitter for King County, there are so many people livid at them keeping schools around here open. Many people are saying they are keeping their children home from school anyways. There's a few petitions floating around with thousands of signatures for people wanting UW and Bellevue school systems to close.

Someone posted this and I 100% agree: "We should be operating not in the "this is only a cold for 80% of people" but in how we can make this situation safe for the 20% for whom this outbreak is of grave--even life-threatening---concern"

Every parent should make the best decision for themselves and their families

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
My girlfriend works at a hospital in the UK, I won't specify which.

She was there all day today.

Apparently they have 7 suspected cases of Coronavirus. The most unwell patient is in an isolation pod (of which this hospital only have one) and the rest of them are confined to their cars and ambulances.

And I was told that the doctors do not have adequate facial protection.

This sounds quite similar to the hospital I work at in the north east of the UK.

I'd say we're getting an average of 8 or 10 samples a day from "suspected" patients. We've not had any tested positive yet (fortunately).

I can't really comment on our situation in regards to doctors not having enough facial protection, I'd like to think they do!

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
So I have tripped book to Washington 3/13-3/18 at JBLM to be exact. I was planning on doing things around the area. Even though the 6 victims were all over the age of 50. Should I still be good, just take more precaution?

If you go, what are your chances of getting sick? If I get sick, what are the chances is becomes anything beyond a mild cold?

That's what you should ask yourself.

The chances of you getting sick are kind of impossible to answer right now, but if you decide to go you can improve your chances of not getting sick. This virus is not airborne, but if there is widespread community transmission it's likely that you as a tourist will be touching a lot of contaminated surfaces so you would HAVE to be diligent in your viral hygiene.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Our healthcare is not equipped for this, never mind the sheer amount of incompetence in how the situation is being handled, shit is going to get bad.
Yep. 15 percent of the country doesn't even have health care and wont go to the doctor unless they absolutely need to. These people will also likely continue going to work, because they don't have PTO, and can be fired for calling in sick.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Just take precautions. King County Health says to for the most part treat this like if it was a bit like the Flu (good hygeine/ don't touch things/ dont gather in large gatherings if you have underlying health issues etc). This is from the Press Conference.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
"My arms just turned purple, should I go to the hospital?" threads should tell you the extent to which Americans will avoid going to the hospital. There are absolutely a ton of cases out there.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 day): trolling

You're good, fam! Also, it's a great time to travel since ticket prices are cheap - I hear Italy is nice. And maybe get a few days at Disney World? Better to catch it now than later when the hospitals are too crowded. Peace.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
You're good, fam! Also, it's a great time to travel since ticket prices are cheap - I hear Italy is nice. And maybe get a few days at Disney World? Better to catch it now than later when the hospitals are too crowded. Peace.
I know you are being sarcastic, but there is a huge different between Italy and Disney World and equating them is stupid.

Italy has an active outbreak going on, and if you fly there you have a real risk of your return flight being cancelled. Unless I miss something there is no outbreak in Disney World.

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wish my job would have a meeting with the building and discuss the course of action for this thing. If one person gets it and they come to work we are all basically fucked, and it'a not a job that can be done from home.

They put up a piece of paper taped to the wall telling us to wash our hands diligently. That's it. Idiots.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah so NPR just had a Seattle area doctor on who pretty much just straight up said we do not have the healthcare infrastructure in place to handle this. Great.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A large scale outbreak in the US sure would make a great case for universal health care.
It would, but honestly, we can just do the screening and treatment for this virus free. Seriously, nothing prevents us from doing it and there is enough money in the system to easily afford it.
Healthcare is not free in China but no one is getting charged anything for getting treated for this virus.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah so NPR just had a Seattle area doctor on who pretty much just straight up said we do not have the healthcare infrastructure in place to handle this. Great.
King county is buying a motel to house patients. I am unclear if they're buying the business or just renting the rooms long term.

mynorthwest.com

King County to buy motel to house coronavirus patients in isolation

King County's response to a continued outbreak of coronavirus includes the purchase of a motel to house patients in treatment and isolation.

They're looking for more options too.

SnugTeam6

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I have my honeymoon scheduled for next month to Italy, and my insurance policy seems to be refusing to cover a cancellation. This is upsetting, because my wife is a medical professional and her hospital just released a 2-week quarantine policy, unpaid or using paid time off, after the trip if we were to go. We can obviously cannot do that.

I don't know what to do, and I'm afraid I'm about to be out thousands of dollars. I've spoken to both my booking agency and the insurance company and I can't get a straight answer from either. I can only file a claim after cancelling, which is a massive risk in and of itself. I'm so stressed right now.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I have my honeymoon scheduled for next month to Italy, and my insurance policy seems to be refusing to cover a cancellation. This is upsetting, because my wife is a medical professional and her hospital just released a 2-week quarantine policy, unpaid or using paid time off, after the trip if we were to go. We can obviously cannot do that.

I don't know what to do, and I'm afraid I'm about to be out thousands of dollars. I've spoken to both my booking agency and the insurance company and I can't get a straight answer from either. I can only file a claim after cancelling, which is a massive risk in and of itself. I'm so stressed right now.

Would the tour company allow a cancellation? I know many airlines are allowing no fee cancellations etc.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA

I feel for you man, the timing is terrible.

I have a similar situation with a trip I've planned and saved a long time for. I also just got a $2k car repair bill that I wasn't expecting on a car that is new enough to not need repairs that major. Sometimes you don't have much of a choice, you just have to eat the proverbial shit sandwich.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017

A bunch of people will probably tell you to just wash your hands and enjoy Italy, but there's no way in hell I'd go through with the trip unless things took a huge turn for the better by next month.

I'm really sorry this is happening to you, it's incredibly unfortunate. If things don't improve, cancel closer to the date and I think you'll eventually get your money back. These travel companies aren't going to want the potential PR disaster of actively incentivizing people to fly into hot spots.

SnugTeam6

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I'm going to keep investigating options, but I do feel like I'm fucked on my Italy trip. To add to this, this is my second trip scheduling. We had to cancel our original October trip (where we lost money) since my mother went into cardiac arrest the day after our wedding (luckily somehow survived after weeks in the hospital).

We bought the comprehensive insurance this go around, but it seems to not count with an epidemic. The universe does not want me to go on my fucking honeymoon. I'm so tired. This isn't the way to start my first handful of months of marriage.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
Also, with the potential for a higher number of people to be asymptomatic carriers here in Sonoma county, I'm super frustrated that the polling place for my part of Santa Rosa is at a senior living facility. I think that unnecessarily puts that population at risk.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
"My arms just turned purple, should I go to the hospital?" threads should tell you the extent to which Americans will avoid going to the hospital. There are absolutely a ton of cases out there.

I mean, it's also beyond that. I did go to the clinic yesterday with symptoms and they didn't test me for covid despite all my other swabs returning negative and me being in an affected area.

www.cnbc.com

New York City doctor says he has to 'plead to test people' for coronavirus

The CDC sent test kits earlier in the outbreak to public health labs around the country, but those kits were problematic and potentially inaccurate.

Chorazin

Nov 13, 2017
Lancaster County, PA, USA
Moved my Fisher Space Pen from my work bag to my pocket, it's so small that I have zero excuse not to keep it with me all the time, and not to touch anyone else's pen (or public pens) from now on.

Yes, it's not a big deal, but it's one less thing that other people touch (and put in their mouths) a lot that now I can avoid.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sadly it's not too surprising to hear in basically any country. Humans never take capacity planning seriously, if you build hospitals with 20% more capacity than they need, that just gets eaten into over the years and the 20% buffer is never restored. Because £££ essentially.

Hospitals in the UK are beyond capacity already and understaffed as we have a nurse shortage. I hear similar from someone here who talked about France I think.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'm going to keep investigating options, but I do feel like I'm fucked on my Italy trip. To add to this, this is my second trip scheduling. We had to cancel our original October trip (where we lost money) since my mother went into cardiac arrest the day after our wedding (luckily somehow survived after weeks in the hospital).

We bought the comprehensive insurance this go around, but it seems to not count with an epidemic. The universe does not want me to go on my fucking honeymoon. I'm so tired. This isn't the way to start my first handful of months of marriage.

Only you can decide for yourself what the risks are, how likely you will get Covid (and then how severe that would be) vs Costs of just cancelling the trip. I can't speak to the financial situation you are in or even health factors.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017

Look on the bright side, very similar situation to you... except my mother went into hospital with cancer a couple of days after my wife and I left for my honeymoon, and she never came out.

For what it's worth, as long as I was young and healthy... I'd be going on the trip. I'd just be as careful as possible. (Assuming you're not literally planning on visiting the quarantine zone!)

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Sadly it's not too surprising to hear in basically any country. Humans never take capacity planning seriously, if you build hospitals with 20% more capacity than they need, that just gets eaten into over the years and the 20% buffer is never restored. Because £££ essentially.

Hospitals in the UK are beyond capacity already and understaffed as we have a nurse shortage. I hear similar from someone here who talked about France I think.

French Public hospitals have been deep in serious crisis for months now, being understaffed, underpaid and exhausted. They're on strike since middle of last year at least...
That's probably the main course of action of authorities : to mitigate contagion so that patients come on hospitals at a slow pace. The system won't be able to sustain a dramatic surges in admissions, there aren't enough staff or beds.