• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
well Minnesota is prepared, thats good https://www.kare11.com/article/news...virus/89-3a2dfa13-66ab-4806-93da-5bf2d0ac6639

State health officials announced Monday that they are now able to start testing for coronavirus right here in Minnesota, instead of sending samples to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).
"We do believe it's likely that we will see cases, and potentially in the fairly near future," Commissioner Malcolm said.
In light of this, Malcolm said the state public health laboratory worked all weekend to finish preparation to test for the virus. They are now equipped to test up to 100 people per day for COVID-19, or coronavirus.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Here is a live link to King County health press conference:

livestream.com

Public Health Seattle King County Update on COVID-19 Novel Coronavirus by King County TV Events

Watch King County TV Events's Public Health Seattle King County Update on COVID-19 Novel Coronavirus on Livestream.com. State and local officials will provide updates on the COVID-19 situation. King County Executive Dow Constantine will announce an Emergency Declaration, and immediate actions to...
Good summary/info in this thread -

ReactionShot

Oct 25, 2017
You keep referring to this as plague, why is that? The term is mainly used for a specific disease, the bacterial strain Yersinia pestis (The Black Death), so I think it's kinda unhelpful right now.

I'm aware it can have general uses in media/curses following it's impact hundreds of years ago (A plague on both your houses!) etc, but as we are discussing a specific virus (rather than a bacterial disease that killed 50m people in the 14th century) in a period when people are rapidly searching for correct info, I think we should probably avoid it.

As you have mentioned, this word is now often used to refer to any disease that is highly contagious (e.g. Plague Inc. the game with multiple types of pathogens). I totally see your concern, but to be honest I do not think that in this specific case this term is confusing in any way and I certainly didn't intend to confuse anyone; with coronavirus and COVID trending everywhere in the world I doubt anyone would still associate this pandemic with bacteria.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
10 before that existing. 13 total.
It's 14 confirmed in King county, 17 in the state, but I have not seen updated numbers from the state or other counties today.

www.kiro7.com

Coronavirus: Some regions will move to Phase 2 of reopening plan starting Monday

Get the latest coronavirus updates for Washington state on kiro7.com or on KIRO 7 News.

Edit: just seen Snohomish is reporting new numbers, I suggest we wait until the state gives an updates since there have been a whole lot of double counting going on twitter.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
So this is what happened to me.

Two weeks ago on a Sunday, I woke up feeling fine. I was cleaning up around the house and around 9:30 AM I started to feel a bit strange. By 10:15 AM, like 45 minutes later, I went from fine to laying on the couch in pain from aching so bad, with a fever of 103.something and chills. I had NO ENERGY at all...and after day 8, went back to urgent care to find out it had turned into pneumonia and a sinus infection.
Here is the odd part.... My wife's mom, got sick 2 days before me and had the same outcome. Also, 4 other people that I know also got the same thing within a week of me and they all had it turn to pneumonia.
After 2 weeks of being sick and a round of antibiotics, I have my appetite back and am feeling better. Still have some congestion, but damn this shit is crazy fast and nasty. Not sure what the hell I had, but I would not wish it on anyone.

Damn...What country and city are you from?

Jun 6, 2019
User banned (3 days): Ignoring staff post with regard to fearmongering and unsubstantiated information
US fatality rate is 6.25 right now

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
this is far deadlier than the flu no matter your age

While the initial rate was high and it remains higher in general than Influenza, we have to take into account the many asymptomatic and mild coronavirus cases that have not been reported as well as the number of healthier people and children that end up in critical condition or dead with the flu.

I feel it's too early to tell which is deadlier either way, although due to its unknowns and unpredictability, we should take coronavirus and its effects very seriously, particularly if you are over 60 and/or have conditions like the ones they've been reporting on (cardiovascular, diabetes, etc.)

Oct 27, 2017
So this is what happened to me.

Two weeks ago on a Sunday, I woke up feeling fine. I was cleaning up around the house and around 9:30 AM I started to feel a bit strange. By 10:15 AM, like 45 minutes later, I went from fine to laying on the couch in pain from aching so bad, with a fever of 103.something and chills. I had NO ENERGY at all...and after day 8, went back to urgent care to find out it had turned into pneumonia and a sinus infection.
Here is the odd part.... My wife's mom, got sick 2 days before me and had the same outcome. Also, 4 other people that I know also got the same thing within a week of me and they all had it turn to pneumonia.
After 2 weeks of being sick and a round of antibiotics, I have my appetite back and am feeling better. Still have some congestion, but damn this shit is crazy fast and nasty. Not sure what the hell I had, but I would not wish it on anyone.

Theres definitely something really nasty going around, my experience was a bit different, i had dhiarrea every 20 mins (no joke) for a good 2 days, it was horrible, then immediately after that passed the fever/body aches/sore throat your standard flu stuff but it was like 100x in its potency. That lasted a good week before i stopped with the store bought medicine and went to the ER, im now about a week into a round of antibiotics, finally feeling almost normal. Its definitely a stronger flu strain than previous years for sure.

MrPressStart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn...What country and city are you from?

I live in the United States in North Carolina. I am not 100 percent convinced that this virus hasn't already been in the states for sometime and it is just now starting to really get a foot hold... but who knows. I was told I had flu B and it turned to the other stuff... but seeing 5-6 other people get the same shit and have theirs turn just like mine is just odd. The only one that it effected quicker that I know of is a lady that was at ground zero in new York on 9/11. Hers went straight to pneumonia instead of the flu part first.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
While the initial rate was high and it remains higher in general than Influenza, we have to take into account the many asymptomatic and mild coronavirus cases that have not been reported as well as the number of healthier people and children that end up in critical condition or dead with the flu.

The same thing happens with influenza though regarding unreported cases. Even more than in the case of this virus where they actively try to track the infected people.

MrPressStart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Theres definitely something really nasty going around, my experience was a bit different, i had dhiarrea every 20 mins (no joke) for a good 2 days, it was horrible, then immediately after that passed the fever/body aches/sore throat your standard flu stuff but it was like 100x in its potency. That lasted a good week before i stopped with the store bought medicine and went to the ER, im now about a week into a round of antibiotics, finally feeling almost normal. Its definitely a stronger flu strain than previous years for sure.

YES....THIS... I had the diarrhea as well... WHAT THE FUCK??? the shit hits so hard and so fast. After a week of it... I was questioning what in the hell was going on... I have never felt so bad!

ReactionShot

Oct 25, 2017

This is what happened to me. I was exposed & checked out at ER Friday but with a fever of 100.1 I did not meet the criteria for 100.4 fever to be tested. Today the county called me because my direct contact tested positive, & now they will come to my home tomorrow to test me.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
The main concerning thing to me is that my mom has asthma, is in her 60's, and has to deal with patients everyday (but for mammograms, etc though)

Deleted member 7777

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's good to be informed and prepared, but I sense a lot of anxiety in this thread. Some of you need to stop obsessing over every new detail and live your life.

Needless fear mongering does more harm then good.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The same thing happens with influenza though regarding unreported cases. Even more than in the case of this virus where they actively try to track the infected people.

Good point, but it's important to take into account the wide range of people that are severely affected or killed by Influenza when talking about how deadly it is.

Ramble

Sep 21, 2019
Everyone worried about public utilities:

There will still be people going to work to make sure the utilities are working properly. I have a close family member that works in public utilities, there are layers upon layers of contingencies set up for disasters. The coronavirus isn't deadly enough that you will see a disruption to your water/sewer/electric/gas service.

The calls to stock up on non-perishable foods are for an event in which you are required to shelter in place due to an outbreak in your community. It will not be like an earthquake, wildfire, or other natural disaster. With covid-19, you will still have running water and electricity.

Jun 6, 2019
It's been explained in this thread numerous times. I'm not going to do your research for you.

The only way to actually get a reliable mortality rate is to take confirmed cases and deaths. There is no way around it. Currently, the sample is small, and the numbers will probably go down with more confirmed cases. But, right now, as it stands, the mortality rate is 6.25%. That's a fact.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I'd rather not keep going out and about until there are hundreds of cases here in King County but I have no choice until my school closes.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The only way to actually get a reliable mortality rate is to take confirmed cases and deaths. There is no way around it. Currently, the sample is small, and the numbers will probably go down with more confirmed cases. But, right now, as it stands, the mortality rate is 6.25%. That's a fact.

I'd prefer to be overprepared than underprepared at this point. I fully expect the % to edge down to the 2-3% we've seen elsewhere, but it's a shocking start to be sure.

Wolfapo

Dec 27, 2017
That's not how the spread of a viral disease works mate. You're getting yourself worked up for nothing with these new deaths
But it also shows a lack of proper testing and thus it could spread more and reach more people without knowing. During the containment phase, knowledge is key. But it seems this is not the case in the US right now, seeing the cases without any known origin.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Good point, but it's important to take into account the wide range of people that are severely affected or killed by Influenza when talking about how deadly it is.

In absolute numbers there are way more deaths caused by influenza, that's true. But this virus is 10 to 20 times more deadly than influenza by the statistics we have so far, so it must not reach even 20% of the number of infected people that influenza does. At least until there is viable vaccine, better testing and more reliable cure.

And this is even before discussing the impact that 20% of people needing hospital treatment and the pressure on the healthcare system.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
14 cases reported. 8 were at the lifecare facility.

I feel terrible not only for the people who suffered losses, but for the families with parents and siblings in a facilities like this who must be swirling with uncertainty. Do you take mom and dad home until this blows over? Can you give them adequate care if you do? Would it even help?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There isn't a single expert in the world who believe this virus has anything close to that mortality rate in the general population.
What you're saying is neither fact nor helpful.