• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018

Naru

May 11, 2019
The most sensible thing to do would be to quarantine everything you can (except water plants and similar) for 1 or 2 weeks at least but we can't do it because the economy would go up in flames. So we are doing nothing, not even banning (sporting) events and the people not understand what's at stake here don't even avoid those events. You can't just not go to work but you can just skip those gatherings for a while. Why don't they? Because they tell them the risk is very low and they believe it. Even if it is true there is no fucking reason to not avoid public events for at least 1 or 2 weeks. I just don't get it.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
The most sensible thing to do would be to quarantine everything you can (except water plants and similar) for 1 or 2 weeks at least but we can't do it because the economy would go up in flames. So we are doing nothing, not even banning (sporting) events and the people not understand what's at stake here don't even avoid those events. You can't just not go to work but you can just skip those gatherings for a while. Why don't they?

Money, money and money.

SushiReese

Oct 30, 2017
Like in South Korea it was caused by geographic location and the Shincheonji cult, why Italy has s such serious infection situation?

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Within the next 30 days I expect the whole planet to be at a virtual standstill the way things are going.

The most sensible thing to do would be to quarantine everything you can (except water plants and similar) for 1 or 2 weeks at least but we can't do it because the economy would go up in flames. So we are doing nothing, not even banning (sporting) events and the people not understand what's at stake here don't even avoid those events. You can't just not go to work but you can just skip those gatherings for a while. Why don't they?

Government should announce tax breaks for any company capable and willing to let their workers telecommute. It would save the country a ton of money in the long run.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
That would be hugely important if confirmed. Even because right now, let me get this straight, any "lethal percentage" or stuff like that is completely bullshit. We need to have a bigger picture of the global infection before claiming data.

I think anti body test should be easier to administrate than PCR and can be used as a screening test.

Government should announce tax breaks for any company capable and willing to let their workers telecommute. It would save the country a ton of money in the long run.

Many of those company probably barely pay any taxes to begin with....

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we delay defending or daring to foolishly critize the most tremendous, truly the most tremendous leader I have ever seen, magnificent even, noone was ever better than him and focus on the pandemic?

It has been laid out why the Trump goverments handling sucked so far, lets focus on that.

Asking for data is defending the administration? What?

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Plenty of business events have been called off by businesses themselves. Sports games don't last long, most business events that have been called off usually last days. It would be like telling people to stop using public transportation. The idea that we can stop the virus from spreading by staying locked up inside is unrealistic and counter-productive. Sometimes, you can't win. The virus will spread, but the solutions are not to stop the economy to a standstill.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
2 weeks off work and it's legit! Pizza, Video Games. Do it.
Assuming for a second that you did have it, it sucks that they won't or can't test you so we can get some accurate metrics.
Good on you for taking precautions to protect others. Hope you recover well & quickly whatever it is.
Stay strong. Keep hydrated and for fuck sake start a new video game.
They seem to be running on the assumption that there isn't unseen spreading caused by asymptomatic carriers, as we know happens for days if not weeks with infected people. This is bound to be the case in any area where it eventually gets out of control by nature of how it spreads. We need a lot more testing in this country pronto.

Thanks all. It's frustrating that they didn't apply the covid test so I can't know for sure if I'm clean or not. I'd probably be fine regardless, but knowing that people who are in a much more compromised position than me can't receive the proper care they need is infuriating. There are enough cases in my area that there's definitely community transmission even if I don't necessarily have it.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I live in one of the areas in the US with several cases. I have symptoms that correlate with what we're seeing here. Went to a clinic, got a flu and strep swab, both came negative, did a chest x-ray and they couldn't decide anything about it. They said I definitely have something viral but they can't figure out what. They asked me the questionnaire for travel and recent contacts who have traveled, but I don't have any, so they didn't test me for covid. Sent me back home saying to come back if I feel worse.

I'll be self quarantining.

It is outrageous that the US is not testing.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
Like in South Korea it was caused by geographic location and the Shincheonji cult, why Italy has s such serious infection situation?

It's a sum of factors. Firstly, in Italy we blocked flights from China for weeks but people could arrive from China without passing through tests simply flying from other countries. Secondly, the "patient 1" in northern Italy is what the world health organization call a superspreader. He had symptoms for like a week and wasn't tested for coronavirus by the Codogno hospital. He's also a guy who played a lot of sports in the area and had a very full social life in the past weeks. It looks like that most of the italian cases are basically directly or indirectly linked to him. Lastly, Italy is one of the first countries outside China to do a lot of novel coronavirus tests on its population. As of today, in Italy we did 21127 tests (!) and 1694 of them were positive.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I find it unrespectful how many people downplay the 3% mortality rate. "You will be fine if you are young and healthy". Don't they have Parents? Don't they have family and friends who are at risk? Even obesity and high blood pressure jumps the mortality rate to 6 to 8%. I don't think people here are all 30-year-old athletes.

And even more stupid is it to downplay the virus with the argument that everyone will get it.
If everyone will get it, we will see hundreds of millions of dead people just with a mortality rate of 3%!
3% is the mortality rate with good medical care. 40% of covid cases are in hospital, 10% in ICU, our hospitals will be overloaded in no time, which will further increase the mortality rate because it is likely that most of the 10% who are currently in ICU will die without medical care.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
I find it unrespectful how many people downplay the 3% mortality rate. "You will be fine if you are young and healthy". Don't they have Parents? Don't they have family and friends who are at risk? Even obesity and high blood pressure jumps the mortality rate to 6 to 8%. I don't think people here are all 30-year-old athletes.

Agreed.

May 26, 2018

If my grandparents get it, they're gone, flat out. One can't afford it economically, and one can't afford it biologically.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

And even more stupid is it to downplay the virus with the argument that everyone will get it.
If everyone will get it, we will see hundreds of millions of dead people just with a mortality rate of 3%!
3% is the mortality rate with good medical care. 40% of covid cases are in hospital, 10% in ICU, our hospitals will be overloaded in no time, which will further increase the mortality rate because it is likely that most of the 10% who are currently in ICU will die without medical care.

This may actually be "OK Boomer", the virus, meaning they're the group it will affect the most.

I'm terrified for my parents.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy

I completely agree.
But we gotta be careful with the percentages. Right now (though covid-19 seems to be clearly more deadly than a normal flu, especially in older people) it's pretty much impossible to have a mortality rate.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington

I do... and my mom tends to stay mostly in her condo anyways and is very aware of the risks (she's a hypochondriac like me) and my stepmom refuses to worry about it or do anything to prevent it and resents me telling her that 71 is old enough to be in the high risk area (she doesn't like being called old). Then again, she's republican. I even tried the you should be careful in case you spread it to other people and she's like, "That's their responsibility to avoid it". She keeps saying if she gets it and dies she had a good life and she doesn't want to worry about it.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I completely agree.
But we gotta be careful with the percentages. Right now (though covid-19 seems to be clearly more deadly than a normal flu, especially in older people) it's pretty much impossible to have a mortality rate.

I'm really holding out hope it will come down, but the issues are people who are asymptomatic or mild won't get tested, or doctors won't bother to test, or countries like the US are currently incapable of testing on a large scale.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
Was there any research about the severity for those who has autoimmune problem? Just want to check how likely I can use my life insurance,

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
User Banned (1 day): fearmongering, ignoring staff post
Think of all the people all over the world going to their family doctor instead of the ER, infecting others in the waiting room.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
Just a bunch of people sitting next to each other, dry coughing... I mean, this shit happens without the coronavirus. Just hope there are some responsible people.

Forgot to mention they'd likely infect the doctor as well, as general practitioners don't wear any protection. In turn the doctor would infect dozens of patients in the following days.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Mortality rate is still climbing and is nearing 4%. It's kinda messed up that most news broadcasts and sites still quoting outdated 2% number.

And you are absolutely right, even if you are 30 year old can you guarantee that you are 100% healthy with perfect immune system? I know I can't guarantee that about myself.

People at work downplay this with "you'll be fine" are the same people who are on sick leave every couple of months, so yeah... not sure what are they thinking. I guess levels of denial are at all times high right now.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Think of all the people all over the world going to their family doctor instead of the ER, infecting others in the waiting room.
Who in the US goes to the ER for being sick? I've even got one of those 'good union health care plans' that has an HSA with some employer contributed money in there that I've had building up for the past few years, and I'd avoid the ER for anything besides a huge emergency.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
So a kid in my son's school is quarantined cause they were in northern Italy during the holidays. Not only did his parents get him and his Sister 2 days in school before quarantine them but they also brought him at another kid birthday party yesterday.
I mean, they may be clear, but I think they didn't really understood how quarantine works...

Mar 29, 2018
I do... and my mom tends to stay mostly in her condo anyways and is very aware of the risks (she's a hypochondriac like me) and my stepmom refuses to worry about it or do anything to prevent it and resents me telling her that 71 is old enough to be in the high risk area (she doesn't like being called old). Then again, she's republican. I even tried the you should be careful in case you spread it to other people and she's like, "That's their responsibility to avoid it". She keeps saying if she gets it and dies she had a good life and she doesn't want to worry about it.
... Jesus

She will NOT be saying that if she catches it. She sounds very entitled. No offence intended 😬

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
Mortality rate is still climbing and is nearing 4%. It's kinda messed up that most news broadcasts and sites still quoting outdated 2% number.

And you are absolutely right, even if you are 30 year old can you guarantee that you are 100% healthy with perfect immune system? I know I can't guarantee that about myself.

People at work downplay this with "you'll be fine" are the same people who are on sick leave every couple of months, so yeah... not sure what are they thinking. I guess levels of denial are at all times high right now.

Sadly folks at my company keep parroting you should be more worried about flu than Coronavirus. Sadly they are idiots who think that 6.8% of all deaths the prior week were flu related means Flu has 6.8% chance of death.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I mean, as long as she washes her hands and avoids contact with sick people, I think she sorta has the right attitude. Yes, do what the CDC recommends, yes, be worried about the virus, yes, take every precaution to be safe.

But at the same time, if it's not in your area, go out and live your life and don't just stay indoors alone in fear.The danger of a pandemic is very real, but if your not in an affected area, there's really only so much you could do and it doesn't make sense to panic just for the sake of it.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Does having high blood pressure count if your controlling it with medication?

Have not found anything :(
For me, personally, I will treat it as "at risk" regardless if you get BP pills or not. And now that you mention it, i checked my pills, they only last me 10 days more. I so wanted to avoid going to the doctor...

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Plz how am I supposed to scratch my ears and eyes?
gavw6Na.png

Copper kills viruses on contact too, so you can dunk it in a bucket of diseased snot before if that's your thing.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Can you elaborate on this? That WHO report did post a 3.7% rate, but with the caveat that that was falling due to improved treatment methods. My worry about mortality rate being understated is specifically in the context of our (US) system being swamped by a simultaneous outbreak everywhere — is that what you mean?