• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
The active case number doesn't mean much if no one is testing. Iran obviously has significantly more cases then are confirmed and then there is Indonesia that has 0 confirmed cases and has only tested 141 people.
The point is all you hear about is new cases and total, and it doesn't send out the message to the public that people are getting better. There is quite of bit of significant good news and trends, and it almost never gets mentioned.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
It won't be communicated well unfortunately and people will panic.

Well maybe we can do our part by communicating it in this thread and among our personal contacts.

This thread has seen a lot of defeatism lately, and a lot of people coming in saying that certain defeatist posts are causing them terror. It's counter-productive imo.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
That air pollution data and checks from recent daily data of the past week prove things are far from business as usual in China, even if new case numbers are apparently dropping. And for all the forced residential containment going on we'll never have proper numbers.

The acceleration curve of international cases going up is starting to look like the one from China a month ago, but it might just be because more testing is being done vs how much the infection is spreading. Can the rest of the planet manage to clamp things down as hard as China did? We can see how much stuff is varying by country. South Korea? Seemingly on top of it. Iran? The US? Not so much so.

Regardless, any of you reading the thread can remain personally diligent. You don't have any real power on if and when larger spreading might come near you, but you can still help protect yourself.

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
I'm defending using basic logic and reasoning in this thread. People are panicking and misconstruing a photo of people praying as that being their solution to the virus.

Posting shit like that image, and making it out like it is something to be worried about is fear mongering.
Considering Pence's history in Indiana with praying away HIV's instead of instituting a needle exchange program, I say they have a reason to be concerned.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017

Staggering. Trump decided against naming a "czar" to coordinate the coronavirus response in part "after wondering whether such a person would be loyal to him, according to those familiar with the debate."

After a top CDC official warned the nation that coronavirus was a real threat, Trump's instinct was to rage at his own administration as "alarmist" and fume at the media for treating *him* unfairly.

That's the real backstory to Trump contradicting CDC.

https://t.co/lXLWZ61y5c https://t.co/kI9OUjXrO0

We literally can't take anything the admin says at face value because Trump is only interested in protecting himself. Because he's psychologically narcissistic. The WHO will be a much more reliable resource.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
That air pollution data and checks from recent daily data of the past week prove things are far from business as usual in China, even if new case numbers are apparently dropping. And for all the forced residential containment going on we'll never have proper numbers.

Right, it's dropping, nobody says it was back to normal. Some places have gotten better, but people are remaining cautious as to risk increasing the infection again.

Jan 10, 2018
There are both zero reasons to be anywhere near panic and to put your trust on Trump, who literally just put the one guy in charge, who is even less qualified than his cleptomaniac clan

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017
The point is all you hear about is new cases and total, and it doesn't send out the message to the public that people are getting better. There is quite of bit of significant good news and trends, and it almost never gets mentioned.
The good news is pretty much limited to China after huge containment measures that probably wont be replicated anywhere else. If you aren't in China its pretty much bad news all around.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
It depends a bit, a lot of countries don't have that information about other countries. In Belgium every time they mention the second case they talk about the first case being healed.

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that the US government is running a god damn disinformation campaign about this is fucking insane.

At this point I'm just trying to be realistic about it I guess. I'm not going to panic or do anything different as far as my day to day life goes, but I'm aware that this is probably going to show up in my area at some point

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
The good news is pretty much limited to China after huge containment measures that probably wont be replicated anywhere else. If you aren't in China its pretty much bad news all around.

You're right, but one difference is that the rest of the world is jumping on it significantly earlier than China did. We won't be able to brutally clamp down, but hopefully we can act to contain as many cells as possible and proactively protect vulnerable populations. Remember that China completely ignored this while Wuhan was becoming hell on earth and people were freely traveling all over the country due to Lunar New Year.

The US is acting later than we'd like, but even now we aren't seeing hospitals overflowing with mystery viral pneumonia cases the way Wuhan was. Wuhan was in a collapse scenario before a finger was lifted.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Right, it's dropping, nobody says it was back to normal. Some places have gotten better, but people are remaining cautious as to risk increasing the infection again.
Well, Trump said it was all back to normal! It's good they're trying to be this safe about it, but there'll be arguing from assholes the rest of the year while economies take hits about why China didn't try harder, why they took so long to take action, etc. The best of humanity coming out! Joy.
Basically this. The US in particular will have this roadblock. Americans really, REALLY hate being told what not to do. Trust in government is at pretty much an all-time low, and even in the best of times people proudly ignore advice of public officials just because they don't like what they're saying.

Oct 28, 2017
Considering Pence's history in Indiana with praying away HIV's instead of instituting a needle exchange program, I say they have a reason to be concerned.

Being concerned about Pences ability to handle the situation is understandable. Simply taking issue with prayer is another. The person who first posted that made it seem like they were doing the latter.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
1577 active cases in Italy, 34 dead, 83 recovered (with "recovered" they intend the people that are tested negative twice in the arc of two days, so the number could be a bit higher). The severe cases are about 9%. Most of them are elderly people, but this is a very big problem, especially in Italy (where we have a lot of elderly people, more than most of the world in percentage).

www.ansa.it

Coronavirus, Borrelli: 'Oltre 1.500 malati, 34 morti, 83 i guariti'. A Roma chiusa San Luigi dei francesi - Salute & Benessere

Il TESTO del Dpcm: parola-chiave droplet, sport a porte chiuse in regioni cluster, limitazioni bar e chiese. Borrelli: 'Oltre 1.500 ammalati, 34 morti, 83 i guariti'. A Roma prima chiesa chiusa: è San Luigi dei francesi. Il prete che ci era stato, ricoverato in Francia per il contagio. Il...

The new cases aren't exactly "new". Most of the people were already infected before the lockdowns (this is a theme that we'll see all over the world in the next days).

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
Being concerned about Pences ability to handle the situation is understandable. Simply taking issue with prayer is another. The person who first posted that made it seem like they were doing the latter.
The news coming out from the White House isn't much better. The Trump administration has been caught flat-footed and the orange's response is to pick a yes-man to tell everyone that they have it under control and to buy stock.

Jan 10, 2018
Do you really think praying is all they did? Seriously ask yourself that.

Can we stop with these suggestive posts? Trump is the worst possible President to handle a crisis. Mike Pence is the worst possible pick to handle a epidemic.

Trust scientists around the world, trust people at CDC who were hired before Trump, stay calm, do rationale precautions and seriously, relax.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
This. People seriously need to stop with the nonsense in regards to the handing of this. I highly doubt they prayed, and then called it a day. People of faith are allowed to pray - it doesn't mean they aren't doing anything else.

This isn't the time to just shit on everything the admin does, just because.
They could have been doing this before the meeting or after it

My family prays before dinner it's just a thing, we still eat like wild Vikings as soon as we are done though.

This doesn't mean actions and plans weren't discussed.

People are right to criticize them for prayer. Why? Because it's for show. The Republicans are the modern day Pharisees. They care about being seen praying. They don't care about actual good acts.

Don't be so naive. The images of them playing is for their Evangelical base. They only care about power and control. Religion is simply a means of achieving that.

THIS is what they're really doing. Follow their actions, not what they put up for show.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Do you really think praying is all they did? Seriously ask yourself that.
I think it's perfectly illustrative of how Pence has handled public health emergencies in the past. Combine that with the White House taking the stance that the coronavirus is literally a conspiracy to take down the President and you have a nightmare on your hands.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
First lung transplant for a covid patient in China

Holy hell, how far up the social order do you have to be to get a transplant for this on minimal notice? Someone in his late 50s, too. Also they video makes no mention of if this person was actually cured, just that it was a person who had been infected. Organ came in via high speed train in a neatly staged photo op, too.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Can we stop with these suggestive posts? Trump is the worst possible President to handle a crisis. Mike Pence is the worst possible pick to handle a epidemic.

Trust scientists around the world, trust people at CDC who were hired before Trump, stay calm, do rationale precautions and seriously, relax.

It goes both ways. People are literally saying in this thread that the picture of praying is causing them terror.

It is not helpful to indicate to people that if they're in the US, they have been abandoned by the government. People from the ground level and up are working hard on this.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
1577 active cases in Italy, 34 dead, 83 recovered (with "recovered" they intend the people that are tested negative twice in the arc of two days, so the number could be a bit higher). The severe cases are about 9%. Most of them are elderly people, but this is a very big problem, especially in Italy (where we have a lot of elderly people, more than most of the world in percentage).

www.ansa.it

Coronavirus, Borrelli: 'Oltre 1.500 malati, 34 morti, 83 i guariti'. A Roma chiusa San Luigi dei francesi - Salute & Benessere

Il TESTO del Dpcm: parola-chiave droplet, sport a porte chiuse in regioni cluster, limitazioni bar e chiese. Borrelli: 'Oltre 1.500 ammalati, 34 morti, 83 i guariti'. A Roma prima chiesa chiusa: è San Luigi dei francesi. Il prete che ci era stato, ricoverato in Francia per il contagio. Il...

The new cases aren't exactly "new". Most of the people were already infected before the lockdowns (this is a theme that we'll see all over the world in the next days).

Makes me wonder how many people in the EU actually already went through it without even knowing it.

I mean, one of austria's first cases was already 10 days in hospital before they even tested him positive. They first thought he had the common flu..

How many days after recovery can the virus be traced in your system?

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
Ok but he is not the only person in the room there are other people in there that want to keep their kids, friends, family and colleauges safe.

For all the people in that room who really believe in their prayer, there's others who care more about the power and control that organized religion affords them.

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017
You're right, but one difference is that the rest of the world is jumping on it significantly earlier than China did. We won't be able to brutally clamp down, but hopefully we can act to contain as many cells as possible and proactively protect vulnerable populations. Remember that China completely ignored this while Wuhan was becoming hell on earth and people were freely traveling all over the country due to Lunar New Year.

The US is acting later than we'd like, but even now we aren't seeing hospitals overflowing with mystery viral pneumonia cases the way Wuhan was. Wuhan was in a collapse scenario before a finger was lifted.
By the time there is overflowing pneumonia cases in hospitals its already too late to contain without drastic measures. South Korea shows that even with a response pretty much unseen by any other country besides China, this can still get out of hand (they are running out of hospital beds in Daegu).

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I live in one of the areas in the US with several cases. I have symptoms that correlate with what we're seeing here. Went to a clinic, got a flu and strep swab, both came negative, did a chest x-ray and they couldn't decide anything about it. They said I definitely have something viral but they can't figure out what. They asked me the questionnaire for travel and recent contacts who have traveled, but I don't have any, so they didn't test me for covid. Sent me back home saying to come back if I feel worse.

I'll be self quarantining.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I live in one of the areas in the US with several cases. I have symptoms that correlate with what we're seeing here. Went to a clinic, got a flu and strep swab, both came negative, did a chest x-ray and they couldn't decide anything about it. They said I definitely have something viral but they can't figure out what. They asked me the questionnaire for travel and recent contacts who have traveled, but I don't have any. Sent me back home saying to come back if I feel worse.

2 weeks off work and it's legit! Pizza, Video Games. Do it.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy

This is a very interesting question and noone gave a straight answer.
"Recovery" in covid-19 doesn't indicate the end of the symptoms, but the absence of the virus in your body. Right now, at least in Italy, to be considered "recovered" you have to go through two tests in two days.
Though in China there have been traces of the virus in feces of patients who where considered "recovered" from up to 14 days*. It really all depends from the tests the world is going to use in the next weeks.

*Also, this can't be considered a medical fact. Earlier tests (and maybe the ones still used today) might had some false negatives.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Makes me wonder how many people in the EU actually already went through it without even knowing it.

I mean, one of austria's first cases was already 10 days in hospital before they even tested him positive. They first thought he had the common flu..

Singapore's Duke NUS Medical school came up with a test that detects whether your body has the same antibodies that COVID19 patients have after they recovered. It was how they determined that a particular case was infected after she recovered.

Science | AAAS

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I live in one of the areas in the US with several cases. I have symptoms that correlate with what we're seeing here. Went to a clinic, got a flu and strep swab, both came negative, did a chest x-ray and they couldn't decide anything about it. They said I definitely have something viral but they can't figure out what. They asked me the questionnaire for travel and recent contacts who have traveled, but I don't have any, so they didn't test me for covid. Sent me back home saying to come back if I feel worse.

Assuming for a second that you did have it, it sucks that they won't or can't test you so we can get some accurate metrics.

Jan 10, 2018
It goes both ways. People are literally saying in this thread that the picture of praying is causing them terror.

It is not helpful to indicate to people that if they're in the US, they have been abandoned by the government. People from the ground level and up are working hard on this.

Trusting 4 years of worst possible goverment, which was waging a war on anything related to science and helping people , which made many groundworkers quit(if they didn't get fired) is foolish.

Losing your marbles over that pic might be even more foolish, I agree on that. I would suggest removal because it lacks context and causes too much concern.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Good on you for taking precautions to protect others. Hope you recover well & quickly whatever it is.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
www.ghsindex.org

The 2021 Global Health Security Index

The 2021 GHS Index measures the capacities of 195 countries to prepare for epidemics and pandemics.

US ranked number 1 in terms of epidemic readiness. How is this possible in a country where you can bankrupt yourself by going to hospital?

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States

Stay strong. Keep hydrated and for fuck sake start a new video game.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
First lung transplant for a covid patient in China

More details here -

What they're saying is that this is a procedure for people who have recovered from the virus but got their lungs destroyed in the process.

www.ghsindex.org

The 2021 Global Health Security Index

The 2021 GHS Index measures the capacities of 195 countries to prepare for epidemics and pandemics.

US ranked number 1 in terms of epidemic readiness. How is this possible in a country where you can bankrupt yourself by going to hospital?
Same way that the US is ranked low in corruption - because the US exerts a ton of control on those bodies and the metrics they use to measure such things.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth

They seem to be running on the assumption that there isn't unseen spreading caused by asymptomatic carriers, as we know happens for days if not weeks with infected people. This is bound to be the case in any area where it eventually gets out of control by nature of how it spreads. We need a lot more testing in this country pronto.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
This is a very interesting question and noone gave a straight answer.
"Recovery" in covid-19 doesn't indicate the end of the symptoms, but the absence of the virus in your body. Right now, at least in Italy, to be considered "recovered" you have to go through two tests in two days.
Though in China there have been traces of the virus in feces of patients who where considered "recovered" from up to 14 days*. It really all depends from the tests the world is going to use in the next weeks.

*Also, this can't be considered a medical fact. Earlier tests (and maybe the ones still used today) might had some false negatives.
Singapore's Duke NUS Medical school came up with a test that detects whether your body has the same antibodies that COVID19 patients have after they recovered. It was how they determined that a particular case was infected after she recovered.

Science | AAAS

Mmhh interesting
I hope the test will be available worldwide some day to see how many people actually went through it.
I believe the numbers would be skyrocking

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 day): fearmongering, ignoring staff post
Within the next 30 days I expect the whole planet to be at a virtual standstill the way things are going.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017